Resource ORAS OU Viability Ranking Thread V3 - Read Post 3451 Page 139

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going to nom Mega Slowbro From A- to A. In the star of oras everyone wanted this thing quickbanned, and after yall found out that it wasn't the secondcoming of arceus, it seems like megabro was forgot about. Its AMAZING bulk (95,180,80) is godlike and its cm set can set up at will without worrying about the pesky crit
Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes (xD)
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

The best way to stop bro is by status (toxic,will o,)its already so slow that it doesn't really care about para but toxic and will o can be a pain to bro. With that being said, it requires little teamsupport to pull of a sweep (some people like myself run a heal bell user but you can get away w/o one), its dual stabs compliment each other nicely,and it gets to fire off powerful scalds merciless at your opponent...
Showing the amazing bulk from mega slowbro
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Mega Slowbro: 153-180 (38.8 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Slowbro: 229-270 (58.1 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

For sweeping purposing mega slowbro is the MUCH better option than slowbro and can EASILY justify a mega slot and its time mega slowbro gets the respect it deserves as a deadly mon who can sweep at will

I am supporting maggron, for B- even.
It can deal with alot of the top tier threat while a hammer arm from Megagross isnt even a 3HKO,i mean cmon,one of the top tier threats cant handle megagron while gron can basically 3HKO megagross with EQ at its low roll.People look at this.
+2 252+ Atk Mega Altaria Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 136-162 (39.5 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO.I know its not STAB but please,raise this thing,it can deal with all S mons TBH,and it has an amazing ability defensively,when it can easily make some of the biggest threats in the OU metagame look like a paper towel,and has some great moves if it is in a pickle with Dtail and Roar,to prevent setups and preventing a second blow from the rare pokemon that can 2HKO it,W/o any boost(CharizardXY,and some powerful special mons).However,the lack of recovery does hurt this pokemon,and will-o-wisp cripples it,but other than that,its a great defensive mon,with SR.

Ox the Fox

is a Tiering Contributorwon the 8th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Smogon Charity Bowl IV Winner
Mega Metagross to A+

Mega metagross is something I find completely innefective in this meta. For starters it's 4mss just hurts it so much. Meteor mash and zen are pretty set in stone so you really only have two moves to work with. Not running hammer arm leaves u walled by ferro and heatran, not running ice punch gets u walled by chomp, grass knot makes it so hippo and slowbro can always switch in and so on. Sure, it's bulk is nice for switching into things like lati and azu but it doesn't really matter if it's unable to put a dent into the opposing team. The rise of chomp is another thing that hurts is so bad. Even if you do run ice punch you're going to be taking so much recoil from rocky and rough skin that it's just not worth attacking.

Mega Metagross to A+

Mega metagross is something I find completely innefective in this meta. For starters it's 4mss just hurts it so much. Meteor mash and zen are pretty set in stone so you really only have two moves to work with. Not running hammer arm leaves u walled by ferro and heatran, not running ice punch gets u walled by chomp, grass knot makes it so hippo and slowbro can always switch in and so on. Sure, it's bulk is nice for switching into things like lati and azu but it doesn't really matter if it's unable to put a dent into the opposing team. The rise of chomp is another thing that hurts is so bad. Even if you do run ice punch you're going to be taking so much recoil from rocky and rough skin that it's just not worth attacking.
I would beg to differ that chomp "walls" mega gross and mega gross has 4 mss...

chomp gets 40 from a meteor mash and while its annoying to gross chomp is usually extremely easy to wear down and is by no definition a "wall" to mega metagross.. (and every team has one chomp wall on it so its not hard to take down) its standard AoA set is only truly "walled" by mega scizor chomp can be a nuisance to gross but saying that it walls it is just not true... just run the standard set and thats your only wall mega metagross still dominates the metagame and hits everything hard....The metgame has changed since mega gross has tested but def not enough for it to be dropped to A+ rank its not even the worst mon in S rank (clefable imo)

Edit: it has two hard counters mega aggron and mega scizor

Last edited:
ok you are a staunch user of raikou and u call me out for bias thats nice. im biased against choosing this in team building
as for the calc im sorry i meant barely weaker not slightly stronger, it should be obvious when you see that the number is less. but the rest of your points i can refute

"Most of the time, Raikou's role is either to a) revenge kill or b) gain momentum."
I'm arguing that it isnt even good at its role. btw torn-t can revenge kill and gain momentum too, so idk why you say it is a very much different role.
yes shadow ball hits latis, but by hit you must mean physically do damage to because this is the calc from av
252 SpA Raikou Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 148-176 (49.4 - 58.8%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
that means roost latias can shrug off the damage until you spdef drop
252 SpA Raikou Shadow Ball vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 128-152 (40.1 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Torn-t can kill them from this range too
0- Atk Tornadus-T Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 152-180 (50.8 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- attack nature and still more damage! so even if they have different roles torn-t is still better than raikou at its own job

"For one thing, Raikou is actually a very good flyspam check on offence that want to run another mega other than M-Mane."
Except eelektross fills the role better :? even jolteon is as strong as raikou with the same ass coverage (ok 5 spa weaker but faster than torn) so you are very biased in saying that it is a "very good" flyspam check.

"The next thing is that Raikou actually allows you to have a neat Twave absorber with all that shit about Twave Clef running around"
ok this i concede but i dont think about twave because it is a strategy more broken than baton pass and i avoid thinking about it instead of using limber stunfisk just to avoid paras (and speaking of segways, id rather use stunfisk than raikou as well)

"Next, why in the name of Zeus are you using HP Ice on things like Torn-T? Use a better comparison please. I can easily bias and say that Raikou is S Rank material by putting a whole bunch of calcs with Raikou beating the things that it can beat, but that would serve next to zero purpose now wouldn't it?Huh? So it can beat Keldeo which is also one of the best mons in the tier, does that mean it is instantly good now? This is such a skewered statement. That's like saying "oh Clef can't beat a +2 Occa Berry Scizor, Clef is shit". Let me up the game, Raikou speed allows it to outspeed common fast threats in the tier such as Keldeo, Lati twins and it's strong speed allows it to hit fast and chip off opposing mons without getting too much damage on itself."
Wait torn-t can beat all the things mentioned better than raikou can (provided that hurricane hits) and you say they have very different roles? I don't get you. Also Zeus? dont use such an archaic god lol. i spelled out the whole scenario of why you click hp ice vs torn, it was in the hide tag. maybe just a few examples dont prove my point but zam is faster and as strong as the specs set and can switch up moves and is immune to hazards! I dont think you can be a better pivot than one immune to hazards. Eel has better coverage and torn-t fulfills all the roles you posted besides fly spam check.
tl;dr torn-t eel and zam are better, depending on the role you want. The dog is ass drop it to uu
I never use raikou and I know this thing defines A-. Most of your calcs make zero sense (specs volt switch on celebi?, hp ice on torn-t?). The reason why it's so high is mostly because it checks torn and tflame and specs is ridic hard to switch in. Venusaur? Extrasensory, lati? Hp ice. Ferro? Hp fire. Politoed is worse than raikou because it does nothing other than setting rain and beating Zard y. Also eelektross is complete ass. It just kinda sits there. Adamant t-flame does a shizzton, while if tflame runs adamant it's outsped by raikou. Jolteon is probably the definition of ass. It had a niche in the greninja meta but not anymore. It's a worst specs raikou. Worst coverage, weaker, zero bulk but it does have speed. Elektross even with av, it's still 2hko'd by p much everything in the meta whereas raikou can just pivot out. AM PLEASE BLACKLIST EEL.

I would beg to differ that chomp "walls" mega gross and mega gross has 4 mss...

chomp gets 40 from a meteor mash and while its annoying to gross chomp is usually extremely easy to wear down and is by no definition a "wall" to mega metagross.. (and every team has one chomp wall on it so its not hard to take down) its standard AoA set is only truly "walled" by mega scizor chomp can be a nuisance to gross but saying that it walls it is just not true... just run the standard set and thats your only wall mega metagross still dominates the metagame and hits everything hard....The metgame has changed since mega gross has tested but def not enough for it to be dropped to A+ rank its not even the worst mon in S rank (clefable imo)

Edit: it has two hard counters mega aggron and mega scizor
Your still taking like 50% or more damage by attacking Chomp, which is especially bad for the Metagross since the mon has no form of recovery whatsoever.

Mega Metagross moving down to A+ Rank makes sense. Its bulk is good, but its hampered by Metagross's lack of recovery, meaning it can only switch into things such as Latios and Kyurem-B a finite number of times. I personally think M-Metagross is around the same level of viability as M-Scizor, which while significantly weaker, provides more overall utility to the team than M-Metagross.

Mega Metagross to A+

Already addressed the purported 4mss for gross. IT does have it to a slightly higher degree than char x and mega alt. The fact of the matter is that gross unlike several mons below it can actually at minimum choose the things that wall it out of the bunch. Bulky chomp is an annoyance for most physical attackers in the tier bar the ones that can hit it super effectively. But at the very least, megagross can ohko it with ice punch, unlike say something mega scizor which is pressured by it throughout the entire match and won't be able to do much even if it goes back to team builder to change moveslots. And then saying its not worth attacking to discredit gross is pretty much saying its not worth it for char x to dragon claw it and its not worth it for mega altaria to use return on it because they will also take rough skin + rocky helmet damage. This also improves counter play against zard x in particular because that thing is coming in rocks then dragon clawing a garchomp, taking rough skin + rocky helmet. then it needs to flare blitz an iron barbs ferrothorn... Mind u the main differentiation here is that zard and mega alt only need stab to beat it where as megagross has to give up coverage. But the point remains garchomp is meant to punish all the physical attackers in the tier and is an effective counterplay against all of them and megagross is among the few of those who can actually threaten it with a non stab coverage move that actually ko's if the team requires it. So saying megagross is completely ineffective, and is unable to put a dent in teams is a complete understatement of its abilities. All these checks and counters have existed, even several months ago again the meta has adapted to megagross and is "oveprepared for" but is this enough to drop it a sub rank where it clearly shows significant superiority to those who it can roughly be compared to? The main issue with gross atm is that because its so overprepared for its actually pretty funny that the majority of things that answer it are literally setup fodder mega zard X. So yea megagross does have an unfriendly trend going for it yet bar mega scizor and the new hype for mega aggron i always see it luring in these supposed hard stops to it almost every match i see it.

Using 4mss as an argument for Meta to drop is kinda ridiculous. This thing trashes everything except Scizor with its standard set Mash, Zen, Hammer, Knot. The only reasons to change this set are Mega Scizor and to an lesser extent, Chomp who is still 2hkoed by mash with a bit of prior damage. Yeah the chip damage from chomp is annoying but with wish/healing wish support gross doesn't realy care. Just add Zone and HW Latias and Meta can do what it wants. Its still crazy powerful fast and bulky, nothing realy changed for it since its been tested except for Chomp and Scizor becoming a bit more popular and thats not enough to bring it down from "almost uber" to A+. I also find it kinda funny that we are arguing about Metagross going down to A+ and Keldeo going up to S at the same time because imo, if Gross moves down, there should be no way Keldeo ever gets up to S, Gross is just so much more threatening. Its AoA set alone threatens every playstyle, has just 1 counter and is easy to slap on a team because it hardly needs any support and checks a bunch of other threatening things in the Meta. Honestly, what else is needed to be S rank?

Last edited:
I never use raikou and I know this thing defines A-. Most of your calcs make zero sense (specs volt switch on celebi?, hp ice on torn-t?). The reason why it's so high is mostly because it checks torn and tflame and specs is ridic hard to switch in. Venusaur? Extrasensory, lati? Hp ice. Ferro? Hp fire. Politoed is worse than raikou because it does nothing other than setting rain and beating Zard y. Also eelektross is complete ass. It just kinda sits there. Adamant t-flame does a shizzton, while if tflame runs adamant it's outsped by raikou. Jolteon is probably the definition of ass. It had a niche in the greninja meta but not anymore. It's a worst specs raikou. Worst coverage, weaker, zero bulk but it does have speed. Elektross even with av, it's still 2hko'd by p much everything in the meta whereas raikou can just pivot out. AM PLEASE BLACKLIST EEL.
blacklist no longer exists and there's only been like one bad comment about it lol; not enough to make the thread shitty
on top of that there was a good nom for eel a while back so

Rotom-W for A- - While its typing and ability combo really do make it one of the most splashable mon in existence and helping numerous defensive cores, on top of Volt Switch and WoW, this this will always have prominent usage from how distinct it is. That said, I, and I don't think many others, every really crap our pants when seeing one of these on the other team. While its typing is fantastic, it is very, very easy to abuse from the admitted lack of diversity in its sets. EV spreads may vary, but WoW, Volt Switch and Hydro Pump are on virtually every set. This makes it ludicrously easy to take advantage of when all moves have risk. Hydro Pump's unreliable accuracy and your likely uninvested SpA stat means advantage for opposing Ground types to block Volt Switch. WoW is also highly predictable and easy to abuse with setup sweepers that have Lum Berry, Heal Bell like Altaria, or are immune like Char X who don't care about your STAB options. Not to mention the move itself can miss, so Rotom honestly has no failsafe moves to use when threatening a switch, as it can't even heal outside of the unreliable Pain Split and Leftovers (don't use ChestoRest). While it is still a blanket check to a huge part of the mega, I think its predictability can make it a liability more times than you'd like of it. I personally view it as either a nuisance or, frankly, easily exploited. This thing would never leave A+ if it got either Scald or Recover. So I think it should drop to A- because it isn't as reliably effective or threatening as other A ranks like Slowbro, Latias, and Hippo for defensive utility pokes.

Dragalge stay B+ - Dragalge need not go anywhere. While Psychic types are quite prominent, they are so easily dispatched by numerous natural cores with Pursuit users like Metagross, Tyranitar and Bisharp. And its special wallbreaking power is right on par with titans like M-Medicham and Diggersby in the same tier, if not greater in some aspects. Its typing, ability, and stats can allow it to be simultaneously stronger and bulkier than Latios, and STAB Sludge Wave just outright deletes big Fairy threats like Azumarill and Clefable. It's weaknesses and speed are certainly problematic, but its picked for specific teams where it shines greatly.

Mega Metagross stay S

Keldeo stay A+

Infernape stay B-

Serperior stay A-

No opinions on the rest.

I also won't go into the poor arguments made for Raikou dropping, but needless to say, the reasoning was poor.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Eel is cool. Eel is useful. Eel is not better than Raikou.

Raikou absolutely should not drop. The sub CM set for Raikou is awesome right now, since it pairs well with stuff that wants Heatran and Hippo worn down (ane there are plenty of mons that do). Plus with HP Fire it can be a decent check to Scizor and lure to Ferrothorn, although I do admit this is a pretty suboptimal move. It also checks Torn and the now more popular bulky Talonflame. Raikou and Serp are easily the best mons in A- right now and there's no way Raikou should drop.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
All I see from the pro S-rank Mega Metagross is edgy posts from the OU Staff and people regurgiting the same points that Metagross is amazing on paper, but they really don't seem to understand how different Metagross is in practice.

110 Speed is nice, but not fast enough against offensive teams, so Metagross can struggle against it. Especially when a lot of offense teams nowadays have TankChomp or Landorus-T to check it or a Spike stacker to wear it down easily (a Spike or two will easily leave Gross in range of a lot of attacks). 110 Speed is nice against slower teams, but then you realise that any competent player will prepare for M-Gross. Obviously, M-Scizor is the #1 answer to it (and is also quite popular from what I have seen as it checks a lot of top threats), but there's also Slowbro, Hippodown, Suicune, Tankchomp, Skarmory, Twave Clef, etc. Yes it can break through all of them in a 1v1 situation with the proper set, but it is impossible to fit 6 moves in 1 set. without Ice Punch, you won't break Tankchomp. Without Grass Knot, you won't break Slowbro and some others. Without Hammer Arm, Skarmory just sits infront of you and does all it wants. Wanna run Pursuit? you gotta remove a coverage move that would be useful, so you end up getting walled by much more. Wanna run BP to revenge faster 'mons such as Weavile or a weakened Alakazam? same as Pursuit.

Speaking of Pursuit, it looks cute on paper until you realise that Latios and Latias can do a lot of damage to you with Draco or HP Fire (or the rare but effective twave :3) and leaves you really weakened. Sure, more often that not you will have removed the Lati@s, but at the cost of using your Mega for doing so when plenty of other good 'mons in OU can fit that role: Bisharp, Tyranitar, Weavile, Scizor, etc.

Also please don't tell me ''b-but SOULGAZER.. every teams being able to handle it shows that Metagross is a big threat :O''. There are plenty of other Mega more dangerous than Metagross that aren't even in S, and keeping Metagross in S when it is more underwhelming that some of the Mega in A+ -> A- makes me want to throw up.

I might post about other 'mons later

Tokyo ''Drake'' Tom is the best OU player.

Last edited:
can we stop with the shitty MMeta arguments?

"So yea megagross does have an unfriendly trend going for it yet bar mega scizor and the new hype for mega aggron i always see it luring in these supposed hard stops to it almost every match i see it."

plz explain. if people are even using Magrron to beat or wall MMeta that means that its reign of terror ain't over. the argument for a drop just because a singular mon that isn't used at all very often can wall it is very....unrealistic? basically by saying that there's a hype of Maggron to beat Mmeta you're contradicting your entire purpose of the post. using a mon that had little viability before just to be something is not a good thing. if you have to sacrifice your mega slot with a lackluster mega than i think its still worthy for S for rn until i'm convinced otherwise

Mind u the main differentiation here is that zard and mega alt only need stab to beat it where as megagross has to give up coverage.

ok? ice has pretty good coverage actually. standard is (hammer arm, grass knot, zbutt, and MM). most likely you'll sacrifice grass knot because quite the contrary Mgross is sacrificing coverage to run grass knot. grass knot only hits ground and water SEfftively. ice hits ground and team support can easily get rid of water types. it might not be able to get rid of hippo but team support is a real thing.

Summary
A lot of these arguments are about the single mon against an entire team. Of course there's going to be some white spots in what it can do. That's what the team is for. To beat what the main mon of the team can't beat.

Yes. A lot of mons A+ ->B+ (imo) are hella better than Mega Gross.

EDIT: Fixd at the top
Um hello did you even read my post ? Im pro S rank -__- How bout actually reading my post properly along with my others and redirect your arguments to someone who wants it in A +?

I'd like to nom Mega Swampert for A- or A rank. Reason being that Mega Swampert is far and away the best Swift Swim user atm and is a relevant powerhouse outside of rain. I'd also argue he is the best mega pokemon to use within the context of a rain team. I'll just go down the relevant threats from S down
S:
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 184-218 (59.9 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable in Rain: 211-249 (53.5 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
A+:
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Azumarill: 238-282 (65.5 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 300-356 (71.4 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 296-350 (89.4 - 105.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 219-258 (67.8 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 240-284 (80.2 - 94.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 96 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 199-235 (54.5 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye in Rain: 148-175 (48.6 - 57.5%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 0+ Def Mega Scizor in Rain: 163-193 (47.5 - 56.2%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T in Rain: 289-342 (87 - 103%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
A:
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 180-212 (51.1 - 60.2%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 56 HP / 0- Def Kyurem-B: 356-420 (87.9 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 218-258 (68.3 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W in Rain: 85-101 (28 - 33.3%) -- 94.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory in Rain: 136-162 (40.7 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 136-162 (34.5 - 41.1%) -- 64.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 229-270 (70.8 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 126-148 (34.6 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
A-:
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 148+ Def Celebi: 158-186 (39.1 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Gyarados in Rain: 97-114 (27.4 - 32.2%) -- 60.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 104+ Def Mew in Rain: 198-234 (49 - 57.9%) -- 56.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir in Rain: 205-243 (75.6 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 210-248 (59.3 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 94-112 (23.8 - 28.4%) -- 96.7% chance to 4HKO
B+:
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 208-246 (64.3 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Heracross in Rain: 213-252 (70.7 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 192 HP / 64 Def Reuniclus in Rain: 280-330 (68.4 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Slowking: 240-283 (61 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 130-154 (32.1 - 38.1%) -- 0.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Togekiss in Rain: 252-297 (67.5 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
B:
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Superpower vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 424-500 (66 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Feraligatr: 199-235 (63.9 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Garchomp: 356-420 (99.7 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire in Rain: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Tentacruel: 374-444 (104.7 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos in Rain: 210-247 (54.6 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
B-:
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Amoonguss: 204-242 (47.2 - 56%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Bronzong in Rain: 211-249 (62.4 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 126-150 (33.1 - 39.4%) -- 19.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr in Rain: 252-297 (71.7 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz in Rain: 184-217 (43.4 - 51.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Sylveon in Rain: 234-276 (59.3 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth: 166-196 (41 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
C+ or lower:
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 120 HP / 136 Def Alomomola: 204-241 (40.7 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 52 HP / 232+ Def Wobbuffet in Rain: 246-289 (46 - 54.1%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 126-150 (33.6 - 40.1%) -- 35% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 160-190 (49.3 - 58.6%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 127-153 (36.9 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Anything I didn't mention is OHKO'd by a move of the standard set (Waterfall, Earthquake, Ice Punch, Low Kick/Superpower) or it doesn't have any offensive pressure relevant to counter Swampert's 2HKO.
Notice in most of the calcs I chose some of the bulkiest sets those mons could run against Swampert, albeit some like the Ferrothorn calc I took into account his most popular set rather than the bulkiest.
Even in Swamperts worst matchups the damage he brings is fairly significant (around 30% damage to bulky Gyarados after Intimidate and about the same to Def Rotom-W)

Swampert's bulk is the next consideration and I won't go into as much detail as I did with how much damage he can bring here's some of his more impressive feats:
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 100 HP / 0 SpD Mega Swampert: 255-302 (69.6 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Mega Swampert: 217-256 (59.2 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 100 HP / 0 SpD Mega Swampert in Rain: 247-292 (67.4 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Mega Swampert: 174-205 (47.5 - 56%) -- 80.9% chance to 2HKO
+1 192+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Return vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Mega Swampert: 280-330 (76.5 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Mega Swampert: 181-214 (49.4 - 58.4%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Mega Swampert: 297-349 (81.1 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 84 Atk Mega Scizor Knock Off vs. 100 HP / 0 Def Mega Swampert: 130-154 (35.5 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Basically in a pinch Swampert can tank pretty much any of the heaviest hitters and guarentee he wins with rain speed. Obviously his typing is excellent with only one weakness and key resists to Steel, Rock, and Fire. He takes a resisted Stealth Rock which in many cases means he won't be surprise OHKO'd by any of the ones listed there that get up into the 90% range. Most importantly he has an electric immunity allowing him to switch into mons like non Grass Knot Thundurus-I and Raikou giving him a free mega evolve and making him the only swift swimmer besides Seismitoad (lol) to be unaffected by Thunder Wave.

A core of Politoed, Torn-T, and MSwamp is enough to climb 500 points on the ladder on its own atm and that's why he deserves at least A- rank if not A because personally I see him as more powerful than all the offensive threats in A-(MAero, MPinsir, Alakazam, Serperior, Volcarona). MSwamp is easier to set up than Serperior, MPinsir, and Volcarona and it is bulkier and less susceptible to counters than MAero and Alakazam. It's main flaw is it is less "plug-and-play"-able then those mons but it can setup its own rain with the cost of either Dragon or Dark/Steel coverage. It seems just a functional in my eyes that way as Volcarona who would have less Speed and potentially less fire power if Swampert can spam Waterfall.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gross should drop.

It's simply not nearly as effective as it was before when people were still on the 'omg pls ban' hype train. it's hard to say what I want to say without rehashing what soulgazer said, but hippo balance being everywhere and the surge in usage of mega scizor and skarmory absolutely hurt its effectiveness. Hammer arm can't even break through skarmory so idk why ppl throw out the 'omg no counters to stabs + hammer arm + gk' because skarmory and scizor are full stops, jirachi says hi, slowking takes nothing, and tank chomp eats hits for days. Notice the mons I listed and notice how prominent they are (okay maybe not slowking but still). Add on the fact that aidsclef (aka yellow magic aka t wave) and wisp grade are the most common sets, and you can't even guarantee that gross can switch in safely to the very things it's supposed to check. This is true both in practice and in theory, so I don't wanna hear any bs arguments about how gross gets a free switch into clef 75% of the time, when in reality it's more like 33% before the late game.

Another thing is that weavile offense has seen a surge in usage and I say weavile offense because that includes all the new things like LO torn t, (mega) alakazam, weavile, and tank chomp. All of these mons are both faster than gross and have ways of dealing significant damage on the switch. Add on that klefki is seeing a rise in usage, and gross isn't staying around for long. Then you also have the big boys in s like dd char x and dd malt, two mons that are able to beat gross after a boost (prior damage is needed in the latter case but still). All these things lower metagross's effectiveness against offense and these are all more recent meta game trends.

Also lets not forget that utility moves such as BP and Pursuit take a valuable coverage slot and makes it a liability against common defensive cores found on balance teams. The trade off is often worth it, but you still cannot beat defensive cores so the amount of counters / checks it has nearly doubles when running that set.

All in all, gross simply isn't nearly as effective as it was in early ORAS. It's a great mon, don't get me wrong, but it pales in comparison to the other S Megas. Having it stay in S overrates it's abilities and that is not a good message to send to newer players. A+ is still a really fucking high rank and still says that gross is something you need to watch out for. Idk why some people think otherwise.

If my post was incoherent, sorry.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
dunno whats the other 'mons discussed but w.e

Keldeo - I don't mind where it ends up. It's good like it always has been and as the bonus of being one of the better checks to Weavile, which has seen a huge boost in usage the past few weeks. Probably one of the easiest 'mon to put on a team since it can do a lot of things. Specs is great, SubCM can shit on some fat teams once you remove Lati@s / BroKing / Torn-T / Venu with a Pursuit user (and they all work very well with Keldeo lol), Scarf is cool against offense but lacks the immediate power to be a threat to fat.. heck E-Belt and CM 3 Atk are nice too. I know some people like LO RestTalk Keldeo, but its so bad lol.

Suicune - I love Suicune. Roar CM Rest Scald is IMO the reason to use it since it lets Suicune ''win'' the CM war and also let it get residual damage when paired with entry hazard support, which isn't that hard when Skarmory and Ferrothorn are rly good rn. It checks a lot of threats with its sheer bulk too, which is really nice slower teams. It does have some flaws though; Without Sleep Talk, Cune is kinda passive once its asleep, but if it runs Sleep Talk it won't annoy the opponent's team as much and will have more trouble in CM wars. Wouldn't mind if it rise one subrank.

Celebi - So many 'mons right now just beats it, and wants to use like 7 moves :(. It's still good though once the threats are removed but.. that could be said for any 'mon.

M-Aggron - Dunno if its a joke nom. To me it just looks like a M-Scizor without priority and reliable recovery, but I guess it does have a strong STAB / T-Wave / SR.. it should stay where it is. Kinda just fit on teams that absolutely needs what M-Aggron can do over M-Scizor (and that can't use the other good Steel-types..).

Raikou - Raikou :3. CM is so good. CM 3 Atk is nice if you still want to pivot out (CM Volt HP Ice Tbolt), SubCM threaten a lot of teams and can use a fun bulky spread to use Sub on burned 'mons or like a Venu's Sludge Bomb (works really well on M-Sab teams that have lots of Wisp users ;) ), Specs is good as always. Never been a fan of AV since Torn-T will almost always knock it off, but a lot of people like it so I guess it must be /good/. Leave the cat where it currently is.

Praise the 6

Gross should drop.

It's simply not nearly as effective as it was before when people were still on the 'omg pls ban' hype train. it's hard to say what I want to say without rehashing what soulgazer said, but hippo balance being everywhere and the surge in usage of mega scizor and skarmory absolutely hurt its effectiveness. Hammer arm can't even break through skarmory so idk why ppl throw out the 'omg no counters to stabs + hammer arm + gk' because skarmory and scizor are full stops, jirachi says hi, slowking takes nothing, and tank chomp eats hits for days. Notice the mons I listed and notice how prominent they are (okay maybe not slowking but still). Add on the fact that aidsclef (aka yellow magic aka t wave) and wisp grade are the most common sets, and you can't even guarantee that gross can switch in safely to the very things it's supposed to check. This is true both in practice and in theory, so I don't wanna hear any bs arguments about how gross gets a free switch into clef 75% of the time, when in reality it's more like 33% before the late game.

Another thing is that weavile offense has seen a surge in usage and I say weavile offense because that includes all the new things like LO torn t, (mega) alakazam, weavile, and tank chomp. All of these mons are both faster than gross and have ways of dealing significant damage on the switch. Add on that klefki is seeing a rise in usage, and gross isn't staying around for long. Then you also have the big boys in s like dd char x and dd malt, two mons that are able to beat gross after a boost (prior damage is needed in the latter case but still). All these things lower metagross's effectiveness against offense and these are all more recent meta game trends.

Also lets not forget that utility moves such as BP and Pursuit take a valuable coverage slot and makes it a liability against common defensive cores found on balance teams. The trade off is often worth it, but you still cannot beat defensive cores so the amount of counters / checks it has nearly doubles when running that set.

All in all, gross simply isn't nearly as effective as it was in early ORAS. It's a great mon, don't get me wrong, but it pales in comparison to the other S Megas. Having it stay in S overrates it's abilities and that is not a good message to send to newer players. A+ is still a really fucking high rank and still says that gross is something you need to watch out for. Idk why some people think otherwise.

If my post was incoherent, sorry.

The only real problem here is that somehow a mon who missed being banned by a hair is now somehow only A+ worthy after a few adaptions on mons that always were solid stops to it in the past. You make it seem like mega scizor was just released, that mon has been used since XY so this isn't new. hippo balance means nothing when metagross carries grass knot. skarmory is a 2hko by thunder punch and pretty much needs counter to beat it 1v1 or otherwise must phaze it out with whirlwind which really is just delaying the inevitable rather than actually dealing with it. Jirachi doesn't do anything back realistically other than para it and start flinching it and go behind a sub which more so cripples it than actually stopping it, and can get bopped by EQ. All you really are saying is that atm megagross isn't as good at sweeping the meta as zard x and mega alt are which is true except those need to be given a setup turn and have lower immediate speed tiers. Char x has the explotiable SR weakness and flare blitz recoil. Mega altaria also appreciates running roost over a ddance 3 attacks set which is still stopped by mega venu and some talon flame sets if rocks arent up. Then it has to choose between EQ and fire blast which can leave it walled by a few things such as that mega scizor hype train, ferro, heatran , jirachi , ironically many of the same mons that can give gross trouble, so this stops this 4mss argument that came out of who knows where for dropping gross, or we should start dropping mega alt too by this logic.

You say keeping it in S overrates its abilities but somehow putting it in A + with mega scizor isn't underrating it? I mean the last argument from a post earlier i saw for dropping gross from S was bulky chomp , so by extension we should drop mega scizor from A + to A because it cant even lure it out chomp like gross can with ice punch. Weavile cant even beat megagross 1v1, Zam cant beat 1v1, and tornadus surely cant do so either so these are non- factors since while they all can damage gross they all either get ohkoed 2hkoed in the process by an appropriate move and sure as hell cant switch into it. Klefki is an annoyance yea except it can also annoy zard x and mega alt as well with prankster wave. You say megagross doesn't get a free turn on clefable yes as it gets paralyzed, same can be said about char y, talon flame, and mega scizor who otherwise would appreciate the free turn clefable gives them. Clefable is Also S rank for a reason in that it more less cripples all switchins between t wave and fire coverage , so this annoyance isn't even exclusive to gross. All you have proven is that gross possibly doesn't deserve a ban, but this does not equal a drop from S rank.

aight i don't want to interrupt your metagross fight too much, so i'm just going to lay down some other noms

tangrowth for b/b+. the fact this thing is so low is a joke. it combats bulky and offensive waters such as keldeo, politoed + friends, manaphy, rotom-w, azumarill, mega gyarados, starmie, and slowbro while being able to shake off any damage it has received with regenerator. in fact, most of these aren't going to stay in and tangrowth just uses these oppurtunities to get free knock offs. it has good coverage moves to beat common switch-ins as well. sludge bomb is a big one that has risen in usage and prevents mega altaria from switching in and getting a free dragon dance. rock slide can be used to hit the mega charizard y and talonflame. these two have risen in so much usage that tangrowth manages to prevent these 'mons from getting free switches which is a huge grab of momentum. earthquake and hidden power [fire] is cool for hitting heatran and ferrothorn, respectively, as well. tangrowth also takes on raikou, tyranitar, garchomp, mega diancie if it switches on earth power, hippowdon, and even gliscor + lando-t if running hp ice. only reason i can see for it not going to b+ is the extreme kyu-b, weavile, and torn-t usage lately but its still a very good pivot and has seen a lot of usage.

i advocated a drop to b- but it never happened. on paper this thing looks decent, but in practice, it doesn't beat half the things its supposed to force out. zardy can just spam flamethrowers. subcm keld can set up and specs secret sword does a ton. toxic spikes are less reliable now considering m-venu seeing a drastic rise in usage. and you need to take account most defensive 'mons are immune to toxic spikes anyways or spin it off like starmie which doesn't care because of natural cure. clefable is running thunder wave nowadays too. the big one is the lack of reliable recovery, so it can't repeatedly take hits. acid spray is kind of crap because most cm users run psyshock anyways liek reuni and m-slowbro. it only niche is being a toxic spiker and spinner and it has fierce competition with starmie for hazard removal (which can actually beat keldeo). everything in s rank has a way to beat it and lol like all of a+ doesn't mind it which shows how unfavorable the metagame is towards.

its fine in a-. it checks a bunch of prominent checks with av like manaphy and thundurus. momentum is a big reason to keep it up and while hippowdon blocks it, its set up bait to this water infested metagame so i never find it problematic. cm volt switch is devastating towards offensive teams because almost all the faster 'mons are specially based, so it wrecks once you remove things like weavile, excadrill, mega lop, and stuff which can take a hit like charizard x. subcm is also legit if you don't need the early game momentum. specs is in my opinion is the worst set out of the batch but is still good if you use it correctly (i like to consider specs as risk / reward) volt switch also hits hard af. its unpredictable and checks a lot of important things which is why it should be a- imo.

this thing is given so much hate but its not half bad and the metagame has been more kind as of late. weavile and bisharp are everywhere and conkeldurr is a very nice check to it and doesn't care about icicle crash from the former when it recovers off damage with drain punch. conkeldurr can adapt to clefable, azumarill, and altaria by running poison jab anyways which can go over ice punch or mach punch. knock off is the best move in the game and conkeldurr is an excellent user as it forces a lot of switches. mega sableye has decreased in usage which is a pro. the main draw of conkeldurr is its ability, guts, which turns crispy will-o-wisps and toxics into nothing as conkeldurr continues to spam its stab and powerful coverage moves. sheer force life orb is the pretty much destructive set which provides a lure to offensive teams by either using thunderpunch for slowbro and azumarill to clear a megazardx sweep for example. both sets are honestly solid and it deserves a raise.

been using this thing as of lately and is tad underrated. people say its weak but it really isn't and agility sets wallbreak its common switch-ins like 2hkoing hippo on the switch with dragon pulse. focus blast takes out anything else. clefable and m-alt are the only things i can think of that can repeatedly switch-in but clef can't switch-in if it lose lefties and m-alt is something you can prepare for or even lure with like sludge wave thundurus / tornadus-t for example. after an agility, offensive teams are just crapped on with hazard support, and this things typing is beautiful and prevents it from being revenge killed outside weavile, excadrill, and landorus-t (just the most common). defensive sets are potent and add momentum and pairs beautifully with offensive 'mons and/or landorus-t. a rise to c+ should be done.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i actually disagree with the arguments presented by the smogon elite [henry bkc albacore etc]
@_@

For the record, I don't think Infernape should drop, not neccessarily because of the phys def set but more because of the mixed set which can put in a lot of work vs bulkier teams, as well as lure a bunch of things. Doesn't really compare to Keldeo that well imo since it stacks weaknesses with other Water types and doesn't have the coverage to break past a lot of the things Infernape can, so it's forced to rely on stuff like Specs Icy Wind and HP Electric which are super easy to explot. Victini is probably a better comparaison and harsher competition, but it suffers from flaws Infernape doesn't have like SR and Pursuit weakness, an doesn't have the same kind of synergy with certain Pokemon. I don't really get why people fixate on phys def ape when it has a bunch of other perfectly valid sets at its displosal, and it's all these sets combined rather than just one that makes it B- rank.

Other stuff :
This thing provides so much defensive and offensive prowess in one package that I can't see it any lower than S rank. If you only look at it as an offensive threat then yeah i can see why you want it to drop becuase it has relatively common checks and counters, but most of the time it's going to outlast its checks thanks to its sheer bulk and typing enabling it to 1v1 a huge portion of the metagame. Everything it's walled by is super easy to explot as well. It's defenitely gotten worse but given that it used to be broken that's not saying much. I get the feeling that a lot of people arguing for an MMeta drop are assuming it's trying to switch into everything on the opposing team at once and that the opponent will always predict it to come in every time (looking at you -Clone-) when that's cearly not the case. If anything, this proves taht MMeta is something you need to extensively prepare for and play around which qualifies it as an S-rank threat.

erm yeah I actually support this. I know I was one of the first people to suggest a drop, but even back then I was really unsure about it, and the metagame has been slightly kinder to it recently, with Weavile and Scizor gaining popularity, the decline of Celebi, Pursuit trapping being better than ever, and though Altaria is a problem it's not insurmountable to the point of preventing Keldeo to be S rank again. It's still at Clefable-levels of splashability, and besides, standard for S ranks have slightly dropped ever since Lando-I left the place and Metagross became more manageable.

I kinda like this thing because it can be splashed onto a bunch of teams as an offensive glue and, from experience, usually puts in a soliud amount of work, it has the speed to threaten offense, and enough staying power to wear down bulkier teams via repeated Volt Swicthes. Obviously ground types are very annoying, particularly Hippowdon, but there are defenitely ways around them (or if you're like me, you can just run Toxic Zap Plate Raikou and call it a day). In fact, it pairs very well with wallbreakers since it can get them in for free via Volt Swicth, and most Grounds are just setup fodder for these wallbreakers. Its defensive prowess isn't great but it forces out enough things to act as a pretty decent pivot, and though it is worn down quite easily, it has enough offensive presence for this to not to be too big a problem. It's not spectacular by any means and IMO pales in comparaison to Mega Manectric, but it's good enough to stay A- imo.

I guess I kinda understand why some people want it to drop given that Weavile and Torn-T are super poipeular, but let's be real here, this thing is utterly devastating against a ton of balanced teams, and Gliscor's recent plummet in usage (as well as Scarf Lando-T's slight drop too) is great news for it. It holds a fantastic niche as the only good abuser of ghost STAB, a type which is not prepared for at all for obvious reassons. It's still a massive trheat and very much A+ worthy

wait this hasn't happened yet? It really should, Rotom-W is quite easy to overwhelm and take advantage of, and can be abused by the opponent and see its momentum sapped away relatively easily. I posted a whole paragraph about a month ago explaining how it can be forced into lose-lose scenarios against Pokemon it's supposed to beat making it a pretty unreliable mon at times, I can't be bothered to dig it up though so you'll have to take my word for it.

IMO bulky Defog sucks and LO SD is mediocre, but Band is actually quite good, especially on offensive teams which want a good Fairy check, but don't want something too passive which most Steels unfortunately tend to be. So yeah, I can see it in B+ based on the fact that it fits on way more teams than anything currently in B rank, and its roles can't be easily replicated without using up a Mega slot.

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The only real problem here is that somehow a mon who missed being banned by a hair is now somehow only A+ worthy after a few adaptions on mons that always were solid stops to it in the past.
the evolution of the metagame to the state that it is in now why metagross isnt nearly as effective as it used to be back when it was suspected. i already (albeit briefly) explained this above but when metagross was suspected, hippo was still uu, tankchomp didnt exist, and fat cores consisting of ferro, sd gliscor, and slowbro were literally everywhere. see early spl for reference. metagross ate these teams up for breakfast because at that point in time it only needed 4 moveslots to cover everything. such is not the case anymore. the rise in usage of the mons i listed above means that metagross is unable to plow through teams anymore. its simply just the progression of the metagame, and the metagme is right now less favorable to metagross.

You make it seem like mega scizor was just released, that mon has been used since XY so this isn't new.
no, but what is new is its recent rise in usage. its a lot more prominent now than before because recent metagame trends favor it. examples include the rise of weavile and dd mega altaria becoming the number one set (so basically stuff that scizor eats for breakfast). it always existed but now its used more than before.

hippo balance means nothing when metagross carries grass knot.
hippo balance is a general term i use. one of the most standard and effective defensive cores right now consists of hippo + spdef skarm, in which metagross needs both thunder punch AND grass knot in order to break it.

for reference, when i say hippo balance, i mean teams that are defined as balance teams that use hippo. its a catch all term that defines many, many teams. i mention it because grass knot is needed on metagross to break hippo. otherwise, hippo balance teams (usually) automatically beat it bar hax / poor playing.

skarmory is a 2hko by thunder punch and pretty much needs counter to beat it 1v1 or otherwise must phaze it out with whirlwind which really is just delaying the inevitable rather than actually dealing with it.
counter is a good option on skarm. thunder punch is a nice move but metagross rarely carries it, and if skarmory is physically defensive, its barely 2HKOed depending on rolls. regarding whirlwind, dont forget that in an actual game skarmory will be setting up spikes and it will not allow itself to be killed by hammer arm. ive played and seen plenty of games where skarmory stacks spikes, then whirlwinds metagross out before it can get the SE hammer arm hit off, then switch out. skarm then comes in later vs. something else it walls and recovers its health.

rocky helmet is also a viable option that wear metagross down significantly.

Jirachi doesn't do anything back realistically other than para it and start flinching it and go behind a sub which more so cripples it than actually stopping it, and can get bopped by EQ.
a crippled metagross is eons easier to handle than a healthy one. paralyzing metagross and getting up a sub/whittling it down is a win for rachi and loss for gross. eq is cute but rarely run.

All you really are saying is that atm megagross isn't as good at sweeping the meta as zard x and mega alt are which is true except those need to be given a setup turn and have lower immediate speed tiers. Char x has the explotiable SR weakness and flare blitz recoil. Mega altaria also appreciates running roost over a ddance 3 attacks set which is still stopped by mega venu and some talon flame sets if rocks arent up. Then it has to choose between EQ and fire blast which can leave it walled by a few things such as that mega scizor hype train, ferro, heatran , jirachi , ironically many of the same mons that can give gross trouble, so this stops this 4mss argument that came out of who knows where for dropping gross, or we should start dropping mega alt too by this logic.
i think we're at a misunderstanding here. metagross is a wallbreaker, and i will stand by that fact throughout all my posts. altaria and char x are sweepers. they are all s ranks for the roles they perform. metagross is a less effective wallbreaker than char x/malt are sweepers. therefore, i do not believe having metagross in s rank is fair to the other two s megas because they are overall more effective at their roles. i was not directly comparing them; i simply said that they were able to beat gross after a boost. i probably wasnt as clear as i wanted to be when saying that but thats what i get for typing the whole thing in between doing other stuff.

basically, i believe that malt and char x are better mons than gross, and i do not feel gross has enough redeeming qualities to be compared to them in terms of being s rank. as such i believe a drop is warranted.

You say keeping it in S overrates its abilities but somehow putting it in A + with mega scizor isn't underrating it? I mean the last argument from a post earlier i saw for dropping gross from S was bulky chomp , so by extension we should drop mega scizor from A + to A because it cant even lure it out chomp like gross can with ice punch.
yes, i believe s rank is overrating metagross's abilities. therefore i do not believe a+ rank is underrating it. it would simply be one of the better mons in a+. i said that tank chomp and everything else i mentioned are reasons to drop gross. scizor really isnt very comparable to gross for a multitude of reasons. really, the only similarities they share is access to bullet punch and a steel typing. they play completely differently both in practice and in theory.

gross using ice punch means its not carrying grass knot or hammer arm. a fair trade off, but a trade off nonetheless.

Weavile cant even beat megagross 1v1, Zam cant beat 1v1, and tornadus surely cant do so either so these are non- factors since while they all can damage gross they all either get ohkoed 2hkoed in the process by an appropriate move and sure as hell cant switch into it.
they dont have to beat it 1v1. they keep metagross out, and they revenge kill metagross after a teammate has weakened it down to about 70%. keep in mind that they all 2HKO metagross with knock off / shadow ball / heat wave respectively, and they all outspeed metagross. torn t can even switch in if its healthy enough.

Klefki is an annoyance yea except it can also annoy zard x and mega alt as well with prankster wave.
not only that, but the spikes it lays down means metagross is being punished every time it switches in. this residual damage on top of these fast attackers with super effective moves is why metagross is less effective against offense. both zard x and malt have roost, which lets them offset that damage, and they also have ways of sweeping offense with dd. metagross does not.

You say megagross doesn't get a free turn on clefable yes as it gets paralyzed, same can be said about char y, talon flame, and mega scizor who otherwise would appreciate the free turn clefable gives them. Clefable is Also S rank for a reason in that it more less cripples all switchins between t wave and fire coverage , so this annoyance isn't even exclusive to gross.
clefable spams t wave whenever its given a free turn. if gross gets hit on the switch with it, then its crippled. sure, it has a free turn, but clefable is always paired with something that can take on metagross, such as hippo. hippo also outspeeds a paralyzed metagross and wins 1v1, grass knot or not.

[quoteAll you have proven is that gross possibly doesn't deserve a ban, but this does not equal a drop from S rank.[/quote]

i guess this is a start but i honestly feel a lot of people still resent gross because they were vehemently pro ban on it and it barely escaped, but there are also people who have gotten over this and realize that metagross simply isnt as effective anymore, and that its no longer the go-to mega because of recent metagame trends. all i can say is that ive presented my case and urge people to look at this discussion with an open mind, rather than dwell on the past and how it used to perform.

so then I'm going to be a rebel and give a nom too one mon in particular which thrives in this weavile infested meta.

cobalion from c+ to B-

I'm pretty sure most of you know how nice this mon is right now. Its typing allows it to consistsntly check weavile as well bisharp and tyranitar. But cobalion has much more then just that going for it. He's got some pretty good physical bulk allowing him to be a really effective knock off absorber. Cobalions also got a pretty solid speed tier for a offensive support mon tieing with mons like keldeo. Fighting steel is a pretty solid and helps stuff like gardivoir-mega or other pursuit weak mons. Cobalion also has some fantastic utility in stealth rocks,taunt,thunder wave,volt switch. Cobalion also fits on ho teams which greatly struggle vs weavile nowadays. But cobalion also can use two boosting moves in sd and cm which can allow cobalion to act as a bulky lucario of sorts. I'm looking at c+ mons and cobalion stands out and preforms much better then most c+ stuff. Did i mention it can check clef,malt and even mega meta?

i think we're at a misunderstanding here. metagross is a wallbreaker, and i will stand by that fact throughout all my posts.

they dont have to beat it 1v1. they keep metagross out, and they revenge kill metagross after a teammate has weakened it down to about 70%. keep in mind that they all 2HKO metagross with knock off / shadow ball / heat wave respectively, and they all outspeed metagross. torn t can even switch in if its healthy enough.
I'm on mobile so it's pointless trying to make a long reply, but I'll pick you up on this:

I've chosen two parts of your post, you claim MMeta is a wallbreaker and then you say it can be revenge killed (only by 3 pokemon and after a fair bit of prior damage, might I add) and doesn't get a free switch on things that have SE coverage. .. ok? What is the point? Any wallbreaker acts like that, except in MMeta's case it's extremely hard to revenge kill (only a few things, many rely on being mega evolved already and still more rely on speed ties or not having Bullet Punch) due to its speed and even then, hardly any actually can OHKO at full. Mmeta also has coverage to lure almost every single one of its checks unlike most wallbreakers. It's very very S worthy to me

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
gross using ice punch means its not carrying grass knot or hammer arm. a fair trade off, but a trade off nonetheless.
Just wanted to say that although Zen Headbutt and Meteor Mash are always on Metagross, the last 2 moves are always unknown. You can run Sub, Pursuit, Grass Knot, Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Hammer Arm, Earthquake, Hone Claws, Rock Polish, Power Up Punch or Bullet Punch. You can't assume just cause it has one move doesn't mean it won't have another. I remember people complaining about Metagross's wide usable move pool when it was being tested and how it could be a bit unpredictable, kinda like how people used the same reasoning for Lando-I. You could say the same thing for Zard X "just cause Zard X has Dragon Claw means its not carrying EQ", but can it run both? Of course it can.

clefable spams t wave whenever its given a free turn. if gross gets hit on the switch with it, then its crippled. sure, it has a free turn, but clefable is always paired with something that can take on metagross, such as hippo. hippo also outspeeds a paralyzed metagross and wins 1v1, grass knot or not.
Metagross isn't the only thing that gets crippled by thunder wave. Zard X, Mega Alt (without Heal Bell/Refresh), and almost everything that isn't an electric or a ground type can be crippled by thunder wave, so it's not fair to make Metagross the only victim to it. Are we gonna drop everything because they can be crippled by a T-wave? No, then why only Metagross.

I agree that Metagross is more prepared for, and that reasoning works similar for the Zard X rise, because people forgot how powerful that thing really is. Mega Alt is getting more prepared for and the same argument can be made over and over again, but imo that shouldn't warrant a drop. I also agree with Albacore that Metagross's bulk is being ignored because 150 Defense is no joke. Unless something is at +1 or higher, I don't see anything being able to easily 1HKO it from the physical side. 110 Special defense is good too, meaning it can still take Draco Meteor decently (it's a strong special attack, so don't act like it's nothing). I say it should stay in S.

Edit: Most of the arguments are as if Metagross is the only mon on the team. Nothing can win 1 vs. 6
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Metagross: 248-294 (82.3 - 97.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (that's a mon with 145 base attack and a base 100 attack that goes to 150 with stab)

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 126-149 (41.8 - 49.5%) -- 25% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
I'm on mobile so it's pointless trying to make a long reply, but I'll pick you up on this:

I've chosen two parts of your post, you claim MMeta is a wallbreaker and then you say it can be revenge killed (only by 3 pokemon and after a fair bit of prior damage, might I add) and doesn't get a free switch on things that have SE coverage. .. ok? What is the point? Any wallbreaker acts like that, except in MMeta's case it's extremely hard to revenge kill (only a few things, many rely on being mega evolved already and still more rely on speed ties or not having Bullet Punch) due to its speed and even then, hardly any actually can OHKO at full. Mmeta also has coverage to lure almost every single one of its checks unlike most wallbreakers. It's very very S worthy to me
You (as in the pro-S people) cannot make mentions of eq/thunderpunch/bullet punch, or any other largely irrelevant moves when one of your main points is its amazing movepool to lure its checks, every time you run 1 of these to hit 1 check/counter, you lose to many more, and how hard is it to mega-evolve stuff like megalop and mega-manectric, who have fake out/intimidate (this is assuming you've already mega'd) who can then revenge.
Edit: To make sure this is clear, I mean that these are less for hitting threats, and more for covering arguments mentioned here, ignoring the issues that come with running these.

I agree that Metagross is more prepared for, and that reasoning works similar for the Zard X rise, because people forgot how powerful that thing really is. Mega Alt is getting more prepared for and the same argument can be made over and over again, but imo that shouldn't warrant a drop. I also agree with Albacore that Metagross's bulk is being ignored because 150 Defense is no joke. Unless something is at +1 or higher, I don't see anything being able to easily 1HKO it from the physical side. 110 Special defense is good too, meaning it can still take Draco Meteor decently (it's a strong special attack, so don't act like it's nothing). I say it should stay in S.

Edit: Most of the arguments are as if Metagross is the only mon on the team. Nothing can win 1 vs. 6
252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Metagross: 248-294 (82.3 - 97.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (that's a mon with 145 base attack and a base 100 attack that goes to 150 with stab)

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 126-149 (41.8 - 49.5%) -- 25% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
The issue with metagross' bulk is that it has no form of recovery at all, not even passive leftovers, so those hits are essentially permanent, unless ofc wish support or healing wish. Not to mention not being able to 2HKO its threats with its coverage means its taking some form of damage, which is the issue with the calcs, as max atk lando is a shitty gross switch in when its healthy, and a good revenge killer otherwise when it isn't, and hp fire latios +draco does a lot if not 2HKOing. You need to be mega'd and win the ties.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)