Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this might be the wrong place to ask but...

I have a shiny Starmie that I want to use competitively and while its IVs are good, they are a little less than perfect and I wondering how much it might cripple him. The IVs are: 31\x\31\29\31\28 and nature is Timid.

Basically I'm pretty unfamiliar with stats and I am curious if these few reductions will cause him to lose out on checks/counter that he normally wouldn't with a 31 IV counterpart. (Assuming the opponent is 5 IV ideal) And can I do special EV training to compensate?

haunter

Banned deucer.
The only real problem with that IV spread is that, for offensive builds, you won't be able to speed tie with opposing Starmie. Maximizing your Speed, you'll still be able to outspeed Tornadus/Thundurus-I, base 110 Pokemon like Gengar and Latios and anything slower. If you're going to use it as a defensive rapid spinner then that Starmie is perfect, just make sure to invest 12 more EVs into Speed.

Thank you!

I wasn't particularly set on how I was going to use him, but its good to know using him defensively is is just fine. He doesn't have the HA anyway. Particularly, thank you for telling me what EVs I need!

I have this stupid horsea who REFUSES (or it's my freakin luck) to get 6 ivs. My desired kingdra build is this:

<p>Kingdra @ Life Orb<br />
Ability: Swift Swim<br />
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe<br />
Rash Nature<br />
- Hydro Pump/Surf<br />
- Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse<br />
- Waterfall<br />
- Rain Dance</p>

What iv can I leave unmaxed so he can still be used effectively? I have 3 horseas with 5 ivs each one, they all have "outstanding" in the iv rating: one without hp, one without def and one without speed.

You can lose SpD if you're running Rash
Are you sure I can lose SpD? Rash already lowers it.

haunter

Banned deucer.
If the non-perfect IV is still in the 25-30 range, then the difference in the damage it takes, compared to a flawless one, is negligible.

Are you sure I can lose SpD? Rash already lowers it.
Well, figuratively speaking, Rash is -SpD, +SpA. Obviously 6 IVs are ideal but missing HP or one of the defenses (preferabably SpD if you are already running a negative SpD nature) wouldn't make too much of a difference.. I have a shit ton of bad luck too with breeding for competitive pokemon, 5ivs usually barring SpD, Def or HP, it's irritating because it's annoying but hey, 5 ivs is better than no Ivs you know? lol

PLUS, you're running Swift Swim, so you're going to do a massive amount of damage before someone can touch you. I wouldn't be too worried about missing one of the defensive Ivs unless you were running that gimmick-focus energy set lol

Hey is there a thread where someone has looked systematically into the "hax" in the subway? Either statistical tests or looking at the games' data? I'm aware of the results, I just want a link.

I'm new to competitive battling and Showdown, but I thought it was "illegal" to have a whole team hold the same item? I was playing Showdown earlier today, and I faced a team with 6 Leftovers. My competitor said it wasn't illegal, which I'm sure is true on at least a technical level (since he was able to compete in Showdown)... but I feel like there are different levels of "illegal". For example, 6 Pokemon holding Leftovers seems unfair/unimaginative/uninspired/cheap, etc.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm new to competitive battling and Showdown, but I thought it was "illegal" to have a whole team hold the same item? I was playing Showdown earlier today, and I faced a team with 6 Leftovers. My competitor said it wasn't illegal, which I'm sure is true on at least a technical level (since he was able to compete in Showdown)... but I feel like there are different levels of "illegal". For example, 6 Pokemon holding Leftovers seems unfair/unimaginative/uninspired/cheap, etc.
That is an item clause, which isnt active any more, only in VGCs and gen4.

ok, here's a simple question: Let's say I want to use a moveset of Knock Off/Poison Jab/Whirlwind/Taunt with a Jolly nature. What would optimum EVs be in that case?

I'm talking about Drapion. I am stupid for forgetting to mention that.

ok, here's a simple question: Let's say I want to use a moveset of Knock Off/Poison Jab/Whirlwind/Taunt with a Jolly nature. What would optimum EVs be in that case?
Rather difficult and depends strongly on the Pokemon in question (don't believe you mentioned that, unless it's a previous post that I don't see).

Taunt wants to be very fast, to outspeed enemies and prevent them from getting something off before the Taunt hits.

Knock Off and Poison Jab prefer to be fast, for a variety of reasons. Ideally Knock Off hits before the enemy attacks, allowing you to deny them LO damage or Specs/Band. Poison Jab, like all offensive moves, tends to follow the "hit first is better" rule.

Whirlwind gives no crap about your speed.

That is to say, pokemon using Taunt and Knock Off tend to want to be very fast. Pokemon using Whirlwind tend to want to be very bulky, because they're going to go second anyway and they need to be able to take a hit.

This may be a little off topic, but how do people post pictures that move in posts? I see things that move like the sprites on pokemon showdown all the time

So I just captured a shiny swalot, and I would like to EV train it. However since it's bashful natured, I do not know what EV's in which stats would benefit it the most. Additional Info: Lvl. 30, female, bashful natured
Stats:
HP - 104
Att - 58
Def - 60
SpAtt - 52
SpDef - 65
Spd - 44

Need a bit more help with my Dusclops. I've been playing around with it on showdown, and noticed that it's able to tank hits from things such as Aegislash, Talonflame etc. My problem is that I don't know whether to run Toxic or Will-o-Wisp on it. With Toxic combined with Pain Split, I'm able to wear down a roosting Talonflame. With WoW however, I'm able to cripple Aegislash and make it somewhat useless against Dusclops. Here's the move list in case anyone missed it from a few pages back:

Dusclops @ Eviolite

-Hex
-WoW (for now)
-Infestation
-Pain Split

It's physically defensive by the way.

Ok im pretty sure this is correct but just checking. My ampharos has 168 speed it uses agilty, its speed stat becomes 378 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)