Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhh, heatran is really the ideal Pokemon here, so idk. The thing about Heatran is that it's the only one that can do what it does, so it's hard finding another Pokemon.
Yeah after going through almost every pokemon I literally can't find a more ideal pokemon than Heatran. Soooooo Which version Of pokemon would I have to purchase to catch a Heatran to trade over. I know you can catch it on pearl etc but is it in any games after that?

Could anyone give me an example of a Level 100 EV spread being optimized for Level 50? I've heard before that a Gliscor spread of 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe at Level 50 would be essentially the same as a 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe spread at Level 100, but with one more Speed. And could an explanation be provided? Thanks.
Also to add to the explanation above: Oftentimes, if you need to reach a Stealth Rock number, the EVs will be different between lv.50 and lv.100. This happens, when your Pokémon has odd base HP.

For example:
Tornadus-T has 79 base HP. At lv.100, It usually puts 4 EVs somewhere other than HP (usually Atk for Knock Off and U-turn), giving a value of 299 actual HP.
But at lv.50, 0 HP EVs makes 154 actual HP, an even number. To correct this, you need the 4 EV-values in HP to reach 155.

If you're trying to make EV-spreads compatible with both 50 and 100, you would need to have 8 HP EVs, to reach 155 at lv.50 and 301 for lv.100. You can get some really weird spreads as a result of trying to match them. A Jolly Talonflame designed to outrun Mega Lucario would have 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe at lv.100 and 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe at lv.50. If you were trying to match these, the next matching set of SR numbers are at 96 HP! This gives you more "leftover" EVs than normal, 12 in this case.

Last edited:
For example:
Tornadus-T has 79 base HP. At lv.100, It usually puts 4 EVs somewhere other than HP (usually Atk for Knock Off and U-turn), giving a value of 299 actual HP.
But at lv.50, 0 HP EVs makes 154 actual HP, an even number. To correct this, you need the 4 EV-values in HP to reach 155.
Almost - 154 HP means you will take 32 damage each switch. 32 * 4 = 152
154 is completely fine.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What does Gourgeist have over Trev, and vice versa, what does Trev have over Gourgeist? What's the difference?
Gourgeist-Super is overall bulkier (85/122/75 vs. Trev's 85/76/82) and the other Gourgeist forms give you greater flexibility as far as stat spreads go (do you want speed or bulk?) whereas Trevenant has greater sustain thanks to Horn Leech and Harvest+Sitrus Berry.

With the change to infiltrator: what would the best set for an infiltrator jumpluff?^^ what EV's should it need to outspeed the most important 'mons in the current metagame?

Last edited:
Hello! I would appreciate some insight about why Iron Head is prefered over Rock Slide in every set for Excadrill from the 6th gen analyses.

The argument provided is that "Iron Head is Exca's primary STAB coverage move. It's handy against most Ground-type resists and Fairy-types". However fairies are not very prominent at all in the tier and Azumarill, being the most common, only takes neutral damage from it. Also most of the rare grass/bug types in OU take neutral damage from EQ since they have steel or poison type too (M-Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Scizor, Genesect...). The only benefit I can think of coveragewise is against Gourgeist and Trevenant.

I get that people aren't going to switch their flying types into a potential rock type move, but isn't it worth having when they do bring them in?

The QC team does an awesome job with the analyses but some of their reasoning, which might be obvious to more seasoned players, I still struggle to understand as a newer one.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello! I would appreciate some insight about why Iron Head is prefered over Rock Slide in every set for Excadrill from the 6th gen analyses.

The argument provided is that "Iron Head is Exca's primary STAB coverage move. It's handy against most Ground-type resists and Fairy-types". However fairies are not very prominent at all in the tier and Azumarill, being the most common, only takes neutral damage from it. Also most of the rare grass/bug types in OU take neutral damage from EQ since they have steel or poison type too (M-Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Scizor, Genesect...). The only benefit I can think of coveragewise is against Gourgeist and Trevenant.

I get that people aren't going to switch their flying types into a potential rock type move, but isn't it worth having when they do bring them in?

The QC team does an awesome job with the analyses but some of their reasoning, which might be obvious to more seasoned players, I still struggle to understand as a newer one.
That's not true, Sylveon, Clefable and Togekiss are still used quite often. Hell, even Gardevoir. Hitting them all for super-effectively sounds good to me. In return, Rock Slide gives you what, advantage against Talonflame? ZardY? Pinsir? Thundurus?

All the Pokemon you hit with Rock Slide are able to kill you first, so yeah. It is good to hit said Pokemon on the switch though, if they expect an EQ coming, but that's the only benefit it has..

Deleted User [105998]

Banned deucer.
Help! Twice now i ev trained a feebas (milotic) in Black 2 in HP and DEF, for max DEF but it ends up at 277 DEF at lv. 100 instead of 282 DEF. Even though the IV calculator said 31 IV in DEF and i'm pretty sure i didn't mess up my EV training. Please help. Don't know what to do anymore...

It has Bold nature, capable of taking hits characteristic, etc.. Everything it needed to have for max DEF, yet it stops at 277? Please help. NO clue what the problem might be.

GRTZ, SIlver Crobat
Go to the IV judge in the Battle Subway. I think you may have used the IV calculator too early. 277 Def would be a 26 IV Milotic assuming you EV'd correctly. It would also have the capable of taking hits characteristic if it had 26 IV or a 31 IV. If the Battle Subway Judge says "Stats like that can't be beat" then you are short 20 EVs in defense. If he says "It has some fantastic stats" then you have a 26 IV and the Defense can't be raised any higher.

Go to the IV judge in the Battle Subway. I think you may have used the IV calculator too early. 277 Def would be a 26 IV Milotic assuming you EV'd correctly. It would also have the capable of taking hits characteristic if it had 26 IV or a 31 IV. If the Battle Subway Judge says "Stats like that can't be beat" then you are short 20 EVs in defense. If he says "It has some fantastic stats" then you have a 26 IV and the Defense can't be raised any higher.
But then, why would the calculator say it has 31 iv in DEF if it isn't sure yet? Plus if i use the same milotic for breeding a new one while it holds Power Belt, does that mean the offspring will no go above 277 as well? Grtz

Last edited:

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

You should not try to follow analysis as if they were Bible stuff.
The choice of this move depends on your team, and you should always try to adapt classic sets to fit your genuine needs anyway.
For instance if you're weak as fuck to Charizard-Y, it would be indeed better to lower as much as possible the number of pokemons in your team that can't damage it too much.
Peace.

PS : Another example could be : you build your team and you notice a big Pinsir-M weakness. However, you don't want to change any member. Then you toss Air Ballon on Excadrill and give him Rock Slide. There you go.

That's not true, Sylveon, Clefable and Togekiss are still used quite often. Hell, even Gardevoir. Hitting them all for super-effectively sounds good to me. In return, Rock Slide gives you what, advantage against Talonflame? ZardY? Pinsir? Thundurus?

All the Pokemon you hit with Rock Slide are able to kill you first, so yeah. It is good to hit said Pokemon on the switch though, if they expect an EQ coming, but that's the only benefit it has..
Well...at least from my personal experience Sylveon and Gardevoir are a rare sight and still don't take EQ well. Togekiss also takes super effective damage from RS (although Iron Head would be better), so the main reason for the steel type attack would be physically defensive Clefable which also normally carries Flamethrower.

You should not try to follow analysis as if they were Bible stuff.
The choice of this move depends on your team, and you should always try to adapt classic sets to fit your genuine needs anyway.
For instance if you're weak as fuck to Charizard-Y, it would be indeed better to lower as much as possible the number of pokemons in your team that can't damage it too much.
Peace.

PS : Another example could be : you build your team and you notice a big Pinsir-M weakness. However, you don't want to change any member. Then you toss Air Ballon on Excadrill and give him Rock Slide. There you go.
Thank you for the advice, this was really useful! Building the set around your team's weaknesses does seem like the best way to go about when you have several valid options.

I try not to follow the analyses blindly but being fairly new to competitive and all I have to take some of the stuff they say for granted even if I don't understand it to its fullest, that's why I ask stuff like this.

Deleted User [105998]

Banned deucer.
But then, why would the calculator say it has 31 iv in DEF if it isn't sure yet? Plus if i use the same milotic for breeding a new one while it holds Power Belt, does that mean the offspring will no go above 277 as well? Grtz
What calculator did you use? And did you use it before EV training and at what level? If the level was off by 1 in the calculator compared to in game then it could skew results. If you want to check the IVs and EVs and be 100% certain you need to upload it to Pokecheck.org. If it really has a 26 IV then giving it a powerbelt will only ever let it have a 26 IV

Can someone explain the whole Leftovers HP number thing. I've read you need a number divisible by 16 but I've also read you need a number divisible by 16 +1. Which one is it and what benefits does it give?

Can someone explain the whole Leftovers HP number thing. I've read you need a number divisible by 16 but I've also read you need a number divisible by 16 +1. Which one is it and what benefits does it give?
As a rule of thumb, the HP of a mon is preferably 1, 2 or 3 HP higher then the highest multiple of 16 (exception when you are quad-SR-weak, then only 1 more HP). That will provide you both the highest possible Leftovers regeneration per round and a buffer against residual damage. Granted, full on stall wars aren't common nowadays, but just in case some of your Pokemon might be grinded down by residual damage alone, it might end up living one more turn.
The most obvious example for the HP buffer would be switching SR weak monster in or using substitute. Let's take the subs example: Assuming a Sub-Gliscor does not have Protect but has to stall the opponent a bit. That would be the SubPass set from the analysis page last gen. It has 352 HP, which is a multiple of eigth (think multiple of 16 for Leftovers) and therefore only can sub six time before it only has exactly a quarter of its health left. But if you ask us, we recommend you to have one more HP, 353. After subbing six times, you are left with exactly a quarter of your health plus one HP, which allows you to sub one more time. Situational, but just in case.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello! I would like to ask if it is advisable to use three choice users in one team? Just asking for a general rule of thumb.
I've seen it been done but generally it's not a good idea especially if you don't have a proper spinner or your prediction sucks. You will be forced to switch a lot or you may end up sacrificing something needlessly. Use what you like, everyone has their own style, but I would strongly caution against it because there are generally better alternatives. What do you plan on running?

Hello! I would like to ask if it is advisable to use three choice users in one team? Just asking for a general rule of thumb.
I wouldn't say it is the best idea, but as long as you are using one that is a trick/switcheroo user and are using volt/turn it should be fine. If not, you better have some damn good pivots or you will find yourself losing momentum often.

As a rule of thumb, the HP of a mon is preferably 1, 2 or 3 HP higher then the highest multiple of 16 (exception when you are quad-SR-weak, then only 1 more HP). That will provide you both the highest possible Leftovers regeneration per round and a buffer against residual damage. Granted, full on stall wars aren't common nowadays, but just in case some of your Pokemon might be grinded down by residual damage alone, it might end up living one more turn.
The most obvious example for the HP buffer would be switching SR weak monster in or using substitute. Let's take the subs example: Assuming a Sub-Gliscor does not have Protect but has to stall the opponent a bit. That would be the SubPass set from the analysis page last gen. It has 352 HP, which is a multiple of eigth (think multiple of 16 for Leftovers) and therefore only can sub six time before it only has exactly a quarter of its health left. But if you ask us, we recommend you to have one more HP, 353. After subbing six times, you are left with exactly a quarter of your health plus one HP, which allows you to sub one more time. Situational, but just in case.
Thanks a lot.

What are good mates suitable for Landorus-T in single OU tier?
Special walls/specially defensive tanks, since intimidate will help ease physical hits. Bulky waters who can take ice and water hits and deal with Mamoswine (e.g., Rotom-W who can form the other half of a volt-turn strategy), and who fear electric moves that Lando can absorb. Steels who are afraid of ground moves and resist ice and preferably aren't weak to water, like not excadrill but maybe Jirachi. Also specially defensive Ferrothorn who also benefits from Lando's fighting resist.

Last edited:
I am planning on using this particular Aegislash in the Battle Maison

Aegislash
Brave Nature
252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 SpDef
-Sacred Sword
-Shadow Sneak
-Swords Dance
-King's Shield

My problem is that I cannot decide on an item for it. Leftovers is prohibited since Blissey will be using them. I've narrowed it down to these choices:
-Spooky Plate
-Fist Plate
-Shell Bell
-Expert Belt
-Any other non-BP suggested item

Can anyone help me decide on an item?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)