Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Hey I been wondering lately since the ORAS is going to come to an end on November 18. Why don't we have a thread to predict/have a discussion what the new mons are going to be like? Something like the create-a-mon project but with official artwork and official abilities and types. Or Am I just blind?
it's pointless, just be patient

I saw somebody say t-wave clef is uncommon in high ladder and tour play, and another guy say t-wave clef just isn't common anymore?. What do they run if they don't run t-wave? And when did this switch happen? For the longest time it seemed t-wave was by far the best option.

Could someone explain the differences between mega man and raikou? Is one generally considered superior over the other?
Raikou isn't great in this meta, Manectric isn't that great too but it's alright, it's more viable and the main problem is using mega slot but it's worth it, its speed tier is huge, has intimidate and flamethrower/overheat is a great coverage move since it beats some steel types that wall raikou, ferrothorn and excadrill being the main ones.

does anyone have an importable of the old goth stall or the msab/skarm/chansey/quag/amoonguss team?
Sableye (M) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Impish / Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Knock Off / Calm Mind
- Fake Out / Dark Pulse / Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Gothitelle (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 128 HP / 128 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Rest

Skarmory (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird / Iron Head
- Whirlwind / Spikes
- Defog
- Roost

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

Skarmory (M) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature
- Counter
- Spikes
- Defog
- Roost

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore

So I discovered that I made this account 2 years ago lol well I wanna understand how I could join the next important tournaments? When is the next important tournament?

So I discovered that I made this account 2 years ago lol well I wanna understand how I could join the next important tournaments? When is the next important tournament?
Unfortunately, you just missed the start of the Grand Slam. You can find the schedule for major tournaments here. I recommend just browsing that entire Tournaments subforum as it has a lot of cool info (i.e. tour replays and their usage statistics, which are much more valuable than the regular ones) and potential answers to any questions you may have.

You're a ladder player, right? I feel like I recognize your name from there. You're in luck - OLT (official ladder tournament, which is exactly what it sounds like) starts next month, and followed by that is Smogon Tour (a series of live tours every weekend). Both of those are really solid ways to get your name out there if you can perform well. The other major tournaments are for other tiers or are team tours, the former which may or may not interest you and the latter being rather hard to participate in for newer players because more often than not you will have to have proven yourself to be a competent player before getting picked to be on a team.

Good luck. I recommend joining unofficial tours as well just to get a taste of what the tour scene is like first, as it can provide some experience if you wish to continue down this dark and treacherous path.

What should I do against things like Ferrothorn, who has once beated my entire team just with Leech Seed, and Baton Passers like Scolipede, who just keep spamming Substitute, gather like x4 speed, then Baton Pass to any sweeper, and destroy me? Keep in mind that I have less than a week playing this, it is so annoying to go against this Pokémon. Ferrothorn is almost always in every team. Scolipede isn't as frequent but appears alot. My team is: Scizor, Landorus-T, Keldeo, Latios, Heatran, and Tyranitar. Thanks in advance!

A good way to deal with Leech Seed is with another Grass type, which is immune to the move. You can also use Magic Guard Clefable, which will get seeded but take no damage. With defensive investment, recovery and Flamethrower, you can take on Ferrothorn fairly easily. Otherwise, Heatran can usually deal with Ferrothorn.

For Scoliopede, the best answers are phasing moves (Roar/Whirlwind/Dragon Tail). Your current team can run Roar on Heatran, but it needs to scout if Scoliopede has Earthquake or Aqua Tail. Taunt also prevents Scoliopede from using Baton Pass -- another option for your Heatran.

Hey. At the moment I'm starting with OU and I saw this Heracross in a Team :
Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
-Close Combat
-Pin Missile
-Rock Blast
-Bullet Seed

But why is he playing a Heracross with Low Speed? This Heracross is not combined in a Trick Room Team. Btw this is the the website where I found this team, its the one with the name "#110" :
http://pokemonshowdownteams.com/over-used-ou/

Thx for help

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Heracross @ Heracronite
Brave Nature
-Close Combat
-Pin Missile
-Rock Blast
-Bullet Seed

But why is he playing a Heracross with Low Speed? This Heracross is not combined in a Trick Room Team. Btw this is the the website where I found this team, its the one with the name "#110" :

Thx for help
Just looking at the team (it has a Cinccino on it, with Cinccino being inviable), I think it's just because he doesn't understand EV spreads that well. I'd assume he was just going for a generic "bulky attacker" EV spread.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Brave Nature
-Close Combat
-Pin Missile
-Rock Blast
-Bullet Seed

Thx for help
That site isn't the best site for teams, many of them have unviable pokemon or sets or big mistakes like wrong EVs, items etc, i've seen a team with scarfed terrakion instead of band (and had quick attack) and things like subCM keldeo with max hp and hydro pump instead of scald, i've even seen a team with sand tomb mega steelix and megalix itself isn't really viable in OU, you'd rather forget that site since it's not a reliable source for teams and almost all it does it tricking newbies making them think they are using great teams but are offensive teams with alomomola, assault vest mew and raikou with 0 speed EVs, i usually use teams from www.teamfinder.fr but i heard that this site is closing really really soon

My Camerupt and Gogoat team is there. That guy has some quality taste.

Edit: Wow a lot of my stuff is there lol.
Because me and other people submit most teams from smogon, especially from the workshop but what people like to submit there are teams with ultra niche or unviable pokemon like Gogoat, Slaking and Linoone, they used to have Terrakion's Linoone team there and i emailed them telling them to remove the team lol but what i don't get is how you built a team with Slaking, hopefully they will just go there, take the team and replace Slaking for Band Terrakion like i did.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
I mean its fairly team specific. You certainly dont need to run that much speed but some teams appreciate it. I think rotom-w should almost always run at least 44 speed for jolly belly drum azu though. You can run progressively more speed to hit certain team specific benchmarks if you need to (enough for bish/breloom/volcanion, enough for mzor, enough for gyarados, etc).

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My personal favorite Rotom variant is max hp/def, although I can see the utility of running more speed. In the current meta I think the slower the set the better most of the time, as it is often used to guarantee a slow VoltTurn and because jolly Azu is uncommon to the point where 44 speed is often pretty redundant in general and just gives opposing Rotom free momentum. I think the only two variants worth running in the current meta are ≤8 Spe and ≥220 (I personally run a minimum of 232 on fast variants to creep jolly MegaTar 'cause it happens to also cover the extremely crowded speed tier that 220 aims for). Other variants struggle a lot of the time due to either their bulk falling short or them missing out on a speed tier, although I'm sure other people would disagree.

is rotom'ws most common spread to outspeed base 70s since you're 2hko'd by anything strong even with max bulk
I know every one and there mums had a stab at this Question but what one more view point.

Personally I like running 52 speed on rotom-w as it alows it to out speed the standard 8 speed defensive lando-t and hydro punp it as many will U-turn since they think they are faster , I'd only ever use 220 speed one if you dont have a bisharp counter but I often run keldeo so I dont worrie about that

So yea Imo only ever use 220 speed rotom if you dont have a bisharp answer but honest having rotom-w as your bisharp counter isnt really great since thinks like keldeo and Mega scizor are so good and splash-able .And the 220 speed leaves rotom-w as a swisher mon than the more common lower speed rotoms

Also if you need to run the 220 speed you can run the evs spread that i will show bellow in the hide becuase you hit a skip point with deference so you got two point in stead of one
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 168 HP / 120 Def / 220 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Last edited:
The other option is of course no speed with 30 IVs in order to get a slow Volt Switch on opposing Rotoms, the amount of times I seem to have Rotom - Rotom matchups makes this extremely useful to gain more initiative

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)