Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

So why does everybody run scald over surf for 30% burn but nobody runs sludge bomb over wave when it has 30% poison chance? am I missing something?

So why does everybody run scald over surf for 30% burn but nobody runs sludge bomb over wave when it has 30% poison chance? am I missing something?
Actually, most do. The difference, when applicable, is Chesnaught, whose ability Bulletproof makes it immune to Sludge Bomb but not Sludge Wave.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The reasoning behing Sludge Wave over Sludge Bomb on Gengar is because it hits Chesnaught. However, I don't agree with this because a) a 30% chance to poison Mega Sableye, which subsequently loses to Shadow Ball on switchin, as well as stuff like Torn-T, Weavile, Raikou, Scarf Lando-T etc is way more significant b) Chesnaught can't touch you at all anyway and either gets disabled by Taunt or hit by Icy Wind, depending on which you run (even the BD set, the one which can actually damage you, cannot set up on either of these moves) and c) who the hell even uses Chesnaught, let alone sends it in on Gengar of all things?

Two reasons. First, Sludge Bomb does not hit defensive Chesnaught (and wave has 15 more bp). Second, while burn is an extremely spammable status, regular poison is not so much, due to the fact it doesn't cripple physical switch-ins. This means it can often get in the way, if you wanted to T-Wave or Sleep something but accidentally Poison it instead. If you don't care about the random poisons and don't care about hitting Chesnaught, feel free to run Sludge Bomb, at that point it's better.

edit: double ninja'd

Why are both normal and mega gyarados receiving so low usage in OU? Has the metagame been unkind to both the gyarados recently, or have they merely become underused forgotten threats but still strong as before?

Why are both normal and mega gyarados receiving so low usage in OU? Has the metagame been unkind to both the gyarados recently, or have they merely become underused forgotten threats but still strong as before?
They face lots of competition, they are bulky, but Dragonite is bulkier considerating Multiscale, they have low base power STABS unlike other Dragon Dancers like Mega Charizard X who has that ridiculous Tough Claws-Boosted STAB Flare Blitz or STAB Outrage, and their Defensive typings aren't really helpful either.

Question of mine: Has Gyarados/ Mega Gyarados any selling point?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I don't really agree with Erais answer from a teambuilding perspective seeing as how what he referenced fit differently on different teams and handle different things. Gyarados itself is pretty good the necessity to set up though can be a bit difficult against more bulkier teams but once it gets a Dragon Dance up, say after setting up a Sub with Intimidate boost on Tankchomp who doesn't break it without Stone Edge, it's one of those mons that can have a snowball effect. The bulky Gyarados set is pretty good while more offensive variants such as the Moxie sets can clean teams who have lost their effective priority users mid-late game.

M-gyarados takes more effort to build around in most scenarios due to the vulnerability of its typing however it can be a very dangerous set up sweeper with its Ddance / 3 attacks set, allowing itself a coverage option to break past certain checks and counters or a lure depending on the meta. M-Gyarados usually finds itself on bulkier offensive teams as its end game, Gyarados as well but Gyarados I find has the luxury of fitting on more teams due to being a bit more splashable for not being a mega.

Conk is kinda overhyped IMO, sure it got a lot of HP, but it's bulk is only 80/60 and it relies on the AV to be bulky, Knock off is really trolly consedring it resists it, I used Conk a lot and it was never so good, even UU stuff is higher ranked than it.

What does "OU only when combining mega and non-mega usage" mean?
Back when we used the old tiering system, only the usage of a Mega's base form was checked. However, there were some mons with Mega formes that were barely meeting the usage requirement to be OU because the usage of the base form and the Mega added up to them minimum requirement. Now that we're treating Megas separately from their base form, some mons lack the minimum usage to be OU.

Could Lando-T and Garchomp, seemingly perennially one-two in overall usage, fit on the same team? I've wondered that for a while.
Yes they can. What separates Landorus from Garchomp is the ability to check M-CharizardX better. The two act as blanket checks to a plethora of physically oriented threats in the tier, which gives you the liberty to run an offensive Landorus-T along with Tank Chomp.

This is a Fairy spam team built by TDK. As you can see, Garchomp and Landorus are there to take hits from pokemon who shit on M-Gardevoir because of its shitty defense stat. Then you can see that he also has a an Azumarill to cover ZardX in case Landorus gets weakened. Pretty solid team, a great answer to your question

Yes they can. What separates Landorus from Garchomp is the ability to check M-CharizardX better. The two act as blanket checks to a plethora of physically oriented threats in the tier, which gives you the liberty to run an offensive Landorus-T along with Tank Chomp.

This is a Fairy spam team built by TDK. As you can see, Garchomp and Landorus are there to take hits from pokemon who shit on M-Gardevoir because of its shitty defense stat. Then you can see that he also has a an Azumarill to cover ZardX in case Landorus gets weakened. Pretty solid team, a great answer to your question
What's are the sets for this team? Its perfect for my next threat cores team

Thanks in advance

After posting in the voter identification thread for the OU suspect test (Sablenite and ShadowTag) , whats the next step? Will I get like a private message with the link to vote or something?

Karxrida

Eventide
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
After posting in the voter identification thread for the OU suspect test (Sablenite and ShadowTag) , whats the next step? Will I get like a private message with the link to vote or something?
A thread will be opened soon (if it hasn't already) in the Policy Review Subforum (specifically the Blind Voting section) that you can post your vote in. The thread's opening should be announced in the Suspect thread and/or the Voter Identification thread.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Rotom-Wash, garchomp, steel types like klefki, skarmory and mega scizor. In general, mons that can handle or take advantage of dark types like weavile and bisharp, mew can 1v1 scarf ttar if necessary (if phys def)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)