ORAS OU ORAS OU Offensive Starmie Team (Peaked ELO 1809)

|
|
|
|
|

Introduction

This is my current ORAS OU team. It is built around offensive Starmie. I'm interested in your opinions and suggestions concerning this team.

The Team

Rainbow (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

This is the Pokemon I wanted to build a team around: Offensive Starmie. With its good speed and coverage alongside with the Ability Analytic which works really well due to Starmie being able to force a lot of switches it is the core of this team. If it gets a free switch in from a double switch on a predicted Heatran switch for example or after a U-Turn it is able to do some serious damage to the opposing Team. Hydro Pump is the strongest STAB move while Thunderbolt and Ice Beam let me hit the likes of Slowbro on the switch in or OHKO Landorus and Garchomp while doing heavy damage to Latios and Latias on the switch. Psychic is the best attack to hit Rotom-W and Kyurem-B with. Initially I had Rapid Spin on that set instead of Psychic but in practice I realized that I never used it because attacking is usually just much better.

Sunshine (Venusaur) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 212 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mega-Venusaur helps my team aginst the likes of Amoongus, Breloom and Keldeo as well as being able to deal with Clefable. I chose an offensive variant with hidden power fire to hit Ferrothorn and Scizor, Synthesis for Recovery, Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb for STAB. I chose the given EV-spread in order to outspeed standard defensive Rotom-W as well as defensive Suicune, adamant Crawdaunt and adamant Azumarill. Venusaur can also take on the likes of Tyranitar, Excadrill and Landorus-T if the team needs it.

Brutal Bunny (Azumarill) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Azumarill is here to support the team against the likes of Heatran and Latis and sponge special hits in general while still maintaining offensive pressure. This is just the standard AV set and spread, Play Rough and Waterfall are strong STAB moves to hit almost everything at least for neutral damage while Aqua Jet provides priority and Knock Off gets rid of items from the opponent.

Crazy Tiger (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-T is my Stealth Rock user and general physical wall. It punishes U-Turns or other contact moves with Rocky Helmet. It switches into a lot of physical attackers and forces them out which can be taken advantage off by using U-Turn to create a free switch in for Starmie or other teammates.

Fairy (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- Healing Wish
- U-turn

Jirachi is another key piece of this team, providing useful resistences against Fairy, Dragon or Psychc type attacks. It switches into resistet hits from the likes of Latios and Gardevoir and usually drags in pokemon such as Landorus-T or Garchomp that try to punish the predicted contact move with Rocky Helmet which I can take advantage of by using U-Turn and getting offensive pressure with Starmie. Iron Head is the main move to spam if the Steel resists are gone and can even get a sweep with some luck (read: flinches). Midgame the move of choice is usually U-Turn too keep up momentum and genrate free switch ins. Heart Stamp is there to hit fighting types and Healing Wish is usually used to heal a teammate of choice if it is late in the game.

Muscle (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Conkeldurr the second special sponge with AV that still keeps offensive pressure. It has a completely different role however, absorbung status thanks to his ability Guts. This lets is act as a good Will-O-Wisp switch in for the likes of Rotom-W. This also lets it act as a good Heatran check. Drain Punch is the STAB of choice due to providing valuable recovery and Mach Punch gives priority. Ice Punch to hit Pokemon like Landorus-T, Garchomp or Togekiss on the switch. Knock off to hit Psychic and Ghost types. A common switch in to Conkeldurr is Clefable which can be taken advantage of by this team in going to Vanusaur or Jirachi

Weaknesses

This team is pretty weak to Mega- Charizard Y, as the way of dealing with it is usually sacrificing one Pokemon in order to threaten the KO with Starmie. Also from what I hav experienced teams that include Mega Venusaur in conjunction with Chansey and Heatran are extremely tough to break. Talonflame can cause some problems as well because my priority and choice scarf users are not able to reliably revenge kill it.
Rainbow (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Sunshine (Venusaur) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 212 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Brutal Bunny (Azumarill) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Crazy Tiger (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Muscle (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Fairy (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- Healing Wish
- U-turn

Last edited:
Ok first off, one look at your team and I don't see any kind of hazard removal. While that is completely fine on some teams, it's not on your team. 5/6 members of your team are affected by Spikes. Not only that, but you have a lot bulky Pokemon with no recovery, the only Pokemon on your team with recovery is Mega Venusaur. With stuff like AV Azu, AV Conk, Jirachi, and Mega Venusaur, your team is incredibly easy to wear down with spikes. Especially when all Klefki, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn can set up Spikes relatively easy on your team. Literally, a team with a simple Keldeo + Spikes strategy destroys your team. SO, I recommend using Latios > Azumarill. Latios does not only alleviate SO much pressure from Mega Venusaur being always forced to sponge hits from Keldeo, but it can provide some very effective Defog support. If can also run Surf to hit both Tyranitar and Heatran which both annoying Mega Venusaur quite a bit. Most of all, Latios really helps you vs. Zard Y and vs. Spike stacking teams.

Next I want to say that your team is pretty weak to Latios. Having your only switch in as Jirachi sounds ok, but add the fact that's your only switch in and it's looking pretty hard to check it. So I recommend making ur Jirachi SpD. Using a simple 252 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe with a Careful Nature can give your team a very solid Latios switch in and a Mega Gardevoir counter.

Also, if you think making Jirachi SpD will lose your team a lot of speed, then you can always give Landorus-T a Scarf and give Jirach Stealth Rocks.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Defog
- Roost
- Draco Meteor

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam / Thunder Wave
- Toxic / Fire Punch / Stealth Rock*
- U-turn

*If you're going to make Jirachi Stealth Rocks, then make Landorus-T Scarf

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
interesting team. i haven't seen mvenu a lot these days but i kinda see the gist of it. the idea of faking a spinner is a great one in this metagame simply because a lot of times, the mons pressuring the hazards are extremely weak to your variant of starmie and they end up just keeling over to your mie set which in a way helps you prevent rocks already :] my suggestions aren't going to be a lot but they will help somewhat restructure your team so that you don't autolose to stall variants that wall your entire team.

first of all, you notice that your team is not only rolled over by any m-sab, but shit like dd mdos, zard y, volc and the likes all almost immediately force your team to click x. your burd check is also your fighting check which means you end up stacking a lot of roles onto a mon that has no recovery on a balance team. that is usually a no-no in terms of balance building. you want to be able to spread out your roles so that you have ample defensive checks and offensive checks that allows for the team to thrive in our current metagame. my easiest change at the moment will be to swap rachi out for fast lefties taunt heatran. why this change is good is because it not only deals with msab and the fire spamming weakness of the team, but it also helps give you a fighting option against stall in which you would reduce a potential 1000 turn match to maybe 500 turn. it also relieves the pressure on lando-t and forms an amazing defensive backbone with m-venu. [:

next up, i would definitely recommend giving you back some speed control against offensive teams so my next change is definitely going to be running twave cm clef over azu. this not only a. increases your chance against m-sab leads but it also helps you be as aids as possible on the ladder by spreading the world of yellow magic. cm clef helps reduces the mdos issue but doesn't entirely solve it. you can also opt to run wish or heal bell on this clef because your balance team has no hazard control (seeing as you hit 1800 on the ladder, im sure you alr understand how to play around potential hazard stacking teams), running wish can be helpful at times to allow for you to heal up certain pressure mons.

lastly, this is probably the easier change now that i've recommended the above changes, but let's change conk out for scarf keldeo. scarf keldeo may not seem like a great option in this metagame and team but keep in mind that this is your mdos/regdos check and it helps to clean up offensive teams with it's stab coverages. considering that you also already have speed control in clef, scarf keldeo may seem redundant but it's great in helping weaken speedy electric offense teams that may prove to be a bit of wild card against your team if you don't play well.

hopefully my suggestions help you climb up the ladder more and improve your team so that it rectifies some of the weaknesses that are present. good luck and have fun in the game! /cheers/

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it. I am currently trying Latios over Azumarill, also I have put Fire Punch over Heart Stamp on Jirachi, since that helps dealing with Scizor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)