Project ORAS OU Core-Building Competition (Round 12 - Setup Spam - Results)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Results time! This week's winners with 4 votes each are hey yal with M-Garde sand and Chatter with ChaY-Venu sun, with 4 votes each. Our runner-up is Stressmacher Xatu with 2 votes for Fabio rain. Congratulations to you all & welcome to the hall of fame!
Core 3: 4
Core 6: 4
Core 10: 2
Core 5: 1
Core 7: 1

This week's theme will be a type core:
Ground-Steel-Water!
Core must have one ground type, one steel type, and one water type.

We've had two offensive themes, so some more defensive options this week. Ground-steel-water have a great type synergy, covering each other's weaknesses and resistances to form a very strong defensive backbone. Their offensive coverage is also good, walled only by Gyarados, Rotom-W and Shedinja in OU.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPP

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Roar
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 176 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge / Knock Off
Empoleon and Lando-T cover each others weaknesses really well. With Empoleon resisting Ice and Water, it is able to cover these two big weaknesses for Landorus-T. Lando, on the other hand, resists fighting and is immune to ground and electric - making it a great partner for Empoleon. The speed EVs on Lando are to outpace adamant Bisharp and Breloom so that I can Quake or something it before they can use KOff or Bullet Seed, respectively.

Last edited:

p2

Banned deucer.

This core is incredible on offensive teams purely because they bring such a great backbone and helps cover some of the biggest threats to the playstyle including Zard X and sand while Prankster TWave helps cover a bunch of other things while Keldeo is the better Water type of choice in order to have backbone against Bisharp and Scizor.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Dazzling Gleam

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Secret Sword

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Roar
- Defog

EVs: 244 HP / 176 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge / Knock Off
Empoleon and Lando-T cover each others weaknesses really well. With Empoleon resisting Ice and Water, it is able to cover these two big weaknesses for Landorus-T. Lando, on the other hand, resists fighting and is immune to ground - making it a great partner for Empoleon. The speed EVs on Lando are to outpace adamant Bisharp and Breloom so that I can Quake it before they can use KOff or Bullet Seed, respectively.
Nice core, I never realised how perfectly those two synergise (Lando is immune to electric too which you didn't mention so they cover each other's weaknesses perfectly). Minor nitpick - you mention Lando's speed investment but the importable has special defence EVs instead. Obviously just a typo but just bringing it up in case someone imports it :)

This core fits so well on Offensive and Balanced teams alike. Offensive SD + Roost Scizor is an absolute lord and gives a consistent check to things like Weavile and Bisharp as well as be an huge threat to Offensive teams as the power behind a Bullet Punch is amazing. Manaphy gives the team an excellent way of threatening Balance and Stall with it's TG+RD set. Defensive Lando-T checks threats such as Mega Lop and ZardX who are extremely hard to switch in to if it wasn't present.
Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 72 HP / 220 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Ability: Intimdate
EVs; 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

This is a core I use for some bulky offense teams, pretty simple core that focuses on heal spam, I haven't found any major flaws bar Mega Manectric as well as Char Y and HP Fire Manaphy thanks Random Passerby for catching the other two . All the sets are taken straight from the smogdex.
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost
- Earthquake

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock
[/hide/

Last edited:
Two days until voting time. Quiet week so far, so here's my submission to hopefully speed things up!
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Taunt / Substitute / Ice Fang / Earthquake

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt / U-Turn
- Fire Punch
- Healing Wish

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
Mega Gyarados is a criminally underused dragon dancer and finds lots of set-up opportunities thanks to its bulk, intimidate pre-mega, and choice of when to evolve. Mold breaker taunt is probably Gyara's biggest niche over other dragon dancers, though substitute can be used instead for more set-up opportunities or just a coverage move if stall is not a problem for the team. Scarf Jirachi supports Gyara with healing wish to give a second chance at a sweep, beats the annoying Ferrothorn and Scizor with fire punch, zen headbutt beats Keldeo which is another huge problem, also Chesnaught, but if the rest of the team deals with Keldeo then u-turn can be used instead for momentum. Iron head + scarf makes Jirachi a decent revenge killer / cleaner to compensate for Gyara's low speed pre-setup and also takes care of unaware Clefable. In return Gyara takes on the fire, dark and ghost types which threaten Rachi such as Heatran and Tyranitar. Lando-T brings key resistances especially electric, ground, bug and fighting. Yache berry lures electric types such as M-Mane and Thundurus, and Lando also checks other mons such as CharX. Defensively the core covers each other's weaknesses perfectly - no stacked weaknesses and resistances to every type in the game.

Last edited:

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Counter
- Roost
- Defog

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

So I decided to build around Mega Slowbro since it works well in the meta. I ran 3 attacks Mega Slowbro to hit mons like Bisharp, Ferro, etc.The EV spread iirc lives +2 offensive gchomp eq but don't quote me on dat. I added Skarmory to take hits from Mega Venusaur, Mega Gardevoir, etc. I ran counter for mons like bisharp, dangerous physical set up mons. Garchomp is a last minute check if bisharp sets up to like +6 and gchomp is a electric check and can eq mega manec, raikou, dclaw thundurus, etc.Js idk how to put the sets into box so :P.

Voting time! As always, voting will end in 2 days, you can vote for one or two cores, please bold your votes. Thanks to everyone who took part and good luck to all!

Due to there not being as many submissions this week I submitted a core of my own to boost numbers, I wasn't sure whether to include it in the votes so if people think that's not cool let me know and I'll remove it. (leaving it in the thread tho either way as it's a sick core :p)

Core 1

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Roar
- Defog

EVs: 244 HP / 176 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge / Knock Off
Empoleon and Lando-T cover each others weaknesses really well. With Empoleon resisting Ice and Water, it is able to cover these two big weaknesses for Landorus-T. Lando, on the other hand, resists fighting and is immune to ground and electric - making it a great partner for Empoleon. The speed EVs on Lando are to outpace adamant Bisharp and Breloom so that I can Quake or something it before they can use KOff or Bullet Seed, respectively.

Core 2

This core is incredible on offensive teams purely because they bring such a great backbone and helps cover some of the biggest threats to the playstyle including Zard X and sand while Prankster TWave helps cover a bunch of other things while Keldeo is the better Water type of choice in order to have backbone against Bisharp and Scizor.
Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Dazzling Gleam

EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Secret Sword

Core 3

This core fits so well on Offensive and Balanced teams alike. Offensive SD + Roost Scizor is an absolute lord and gives a consistent check to things like Weavile and Bisharp as well as be an huge threat to Offensive teams as the power behind a Bullet Punch is amazing. Manaphy gives the team an excellent way of threatening Balance and Stall with it's TG+RD set. Defensive Lando-T checks threats such as Mega Lop and ZardX who are extremely hard to switch in to if it wasn't present.
Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 72 HP / 220 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Ability: Intimdate
EVs; 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn
- Stealth Rock

Core 4

This is a core I use for some bulky offense teams, pretty simple core that focuses on heal spam, I haven't found any major flaws bar Mega Manectric as well as Char Y and HP Fire Manaphy thanks Random Passerby for catching the other two . All the sets are taken straight from the smogdex.
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost
- Earthquake

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock

Core 5

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Taunt / Substitute / Ice Fang / Earthquake

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt / U-Turn
- Fire Punch
- Healing Wish

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
Mega Gyarados is a criminally underused dragon dancer and finds lots of set-up opportunities thanks to its bulk, intimidate pre-mega, and choice of when to evolve. Mold breaker taunt is probably Gyara's biggest niche over other dragon dancers, though substitute can be used instead for more set-up opportunities or just a coverage move if stall is not a problem for the team. Scarf Jirachi supports Gyara with healing wish to give a second chance at a sweep, beats the annoying Ferrothorn and Scizor with fire punch, zen headbutt beats Keldeo which is another huge problem, also Chesnaught, but if the rest of the team deals with Keldeo then u-turn can be used instead for momentum. Iron head + scarf makes Jirachi a decent revenge killer / cleaner to compensate for Gyara's low speed pre-setup and also takes care of unaware Clefable. In return Gyara takes on the fire, dark and ghost types which threaten Rachi such as Heatran and Tyranitar. Lando-T brings key resistances especially electric, ground, bug and fighting. Yache berry lures electric types such as M-Mane and Thundurus, and Lando also checks other mons such as CharX. Defensively the core covers each other's weaknesses perfectly - no stacked weaknesses and resistances to every type in the game.

Core 6

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Counter
- Roost
- Defog

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
So I decided to build around Mega Slowbro since it works well in the meta. I ran 3 attacks Mega Slowbro to hit mons like Bisharp, Ferro, etc.The EV spread iirc lives +2 offensive gchomp eq but don't quote me on dat. I added Skarmory to take hits from Mega Venusaur, Mega Gardevoir, etc. I ran counter for mons like bisharp, dangerous physical set up mons. Garchomp is a last minute check if bisharp sets up to like +6 and gchomp is a electric check and can eq mega manec, raikou, dclaw thundurus, etc.Js idk how to put the sets into box so :P.

Votes are in, this week's winner is SlaySlenderDragon XD. Runner up is fleggumfl. Congratulations to you both & welcome to the hall of fame!
Thanks to everyone who submitted a core and to everyone who voted :)
Core 4: 5
Core 2: 4
Core 3: 3
Core 5: 2
Core 1: 2
Core 6: 1

This week's theme will be:
Momentum!

Gaining and keeping momentum is a great way to apply pressure on your opponent during battle - forcing switches, easing prediction, safely bringing in a sweeper or wallbreaker and allowing you to keep one step ahead of the game. Momentum-gaining moves include Volt Switch, U-Turn, Parting Shot, Baton Pass, Healing Wish, Memento, Explosion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)