Resource ORAS NU Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record I think Huntail is better than Gorebyss now. You're never using Gorebyss to sweep because it's still too slow even after a boost, and you can actually attempt to sweep with Huntail because Sucker Punch. In terms of SmashPass, they both do that job identically well because the only difference in their stat spreads is with their Attack and Special Attack. Huntail is also a slightly better Coil user because of Water Veil and higher Attack.
Sorry but gorebyss is still a pretty good sweeper and it has for less competition for the role of special water sweeper then huntail has for physical water sweeper.

Physical water sweepers: Huntail, Gatr, Samurott, Barbarcle, Carcosta, Kabutops

Special water sweepers: Gorebyss, Simipour, Ludicolo?

I can see the reasons why huntail would be better but please don't undersell Gibby :}

Gibby = Dentri's Gorebyss

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
lol.

mega-camel is outclassed by typh on offensive teams as it is way too slow to use well on balance or even in general
Yeah bro M-Camerupt is used on offense.

who cares if its slow? it still wrecks everything. no need to outspeed a wall when they can't touch you and your opponent needs to choose what dies.

still gets forced out by hariyama in most scenarios.
Do you use Hariyama on all your teams? god damn. Hariyama doesn't even like taking a Earth Power and risk taking a Will-O-Wisp if they run that. its not hard to handle Hariyama with teammates.

252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 163-193 (37.9 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

It's really not that threatening as it is easily outsped and damage output is still weaker than typhlosion as typh gets options of specs + outspeeding for eruptions.
psure its not that much weaker? and ye bro gotta love having to lock yourself into a move when M-Camerupt can switch up moves and wreck most of the meta with just its two STABs, set up SR, and a lot of nice stuff. Camerupt can switch on hits, Typhlosion can't.

p.s. why does it feel like you are arguing as if i didn't play oras nu? dw! i have been playing it a lot and let me just say that M-Camerupt is fantastic on balance and i have no clue how you can say Camerupt can make us lose momentum sigh

edit: Raseri reminder that Typhlosion gets Extrasensory and can potentially 2HKO AV Hariyama depending on the amount of SpDef evs lol

Last edited:
Well let me just say I am sorry for sharing with you my opinions, i deeply apologize that you disagree with me. But for the sake of saying my counterpoints to this argument, i will say what I have to say and then go back to my hole.
  • Offensive teams and balance are the meta right now, if it can't fit on offense, it's already 1 step behind typhlosion which can be used on balance and offense. If it's slow, it can be forced out a lot easier and hence kills momentum the fact that it's not able to finish the job most of the time when going for 2 hit kos without having to take damage first. Since it's a mega, it has no lefties or access to a recovery move. A lot easier to kill than a typhlosion which outspeeds most things in NU since it's got a base stat of 100 speed.
  • Well i'd consider hariyama probably the most used pokemon right now in the meta since it's the best fire check, but since it has similar wallbreaking capabilities of typhlosion, it's just a case of similar damage output, but yet crippled by its slow speed as it can't get 2 hit kos in the same way as a faster fire type.
  • Yes, it has different capable roles, but it kills momentum in use, it's better on paper than it is when playing with it. By not being able to run a choiced item, it is not amazingly powerful (more powerful than any other fire type) with the option of specs or band or able to run a scarf since it is extremely slow. Nor is it able to abuse life orb, sheer force. I admit it has more defensive capabilities such as a fire spam switch in, but it's not got recovery, switch ins would be similar to any other fire-spam switch in and you don't have the best defensive typing. I can see potential, but nothing "OMG THIS IS AMAZING BAN IT".
  • And to your final point, i've not even seen one lunatone in over 100 games on ladder... and only one mantine which was low as fuck :L it's really not any different for people finding switch ins to fire types that aren't hariyama, it's the same solution for pokemon such as typhlosion and pyroar :L Since dragalge and altaria have gone, there aren't many switch ins to a fire-spam heavy tier.
In conclusion, it's good, but it's outclassed in its main role as a wall breaker by faster fire types. Yes it has other roles, but again is limited by its crippling speed, lack of recovery for a defensive set and the ability to get worn down very easily. I never said it was a bad mon, i just don't think it should be S. A+ is the peak for the camel in my opinion.

Meowstic to C, there are a lot of better psychic types at like everything it does, and lack of Dazzling Gleam isn't exactly doing it any favors with Pangoro lying around. Uxie/Liepard for weather and Uxie/Xatu for cm seems like a much better option.

Haunter to B-. Haunter's a pretty cool mon that makes a decent scarfer, user of specs/life orb, and in general can punch holes through a lot of teams. Has a ton of cool coverage moves, useful tools in trick and destiny bond, and with Dragalge gone it also has an even easier time denting/cleaning teams.

252 SpA Choice Specs Haunter Sludge Wave vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Audino: 236-278 (57.5 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 4 SpA Audino Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Haunter: 158-187 (68.3 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Haunter Sludge Wave vs. +2 252 HP / 0 SpD Audino: 176-210 (42.9 - 51.2%) -- 97.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Also a solid check to Mega Audino if it's not carrying psychic, which is nice.
4 SpA Audino Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Haunter: 174-206 (75.3 - 89.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

just some quick calcs
252 SpA Choice Specs Haunter Psychic vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 194-230 (45.2 - 53.6%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Haunter Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Hariyama: 202-238 (47 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Haunter Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 308-364 (92.2 - 108.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Linoone to C, with mega Steelix around this thing's life has gotten even harder and it really needs a decent amount of support with screens and wearing down the many things that can stop it to function well at all.

Muk to C, most of the common special attackers beat this thing and/or easily whittle it down(Typhlosion, any psychic type, M-Camel, electrics just click volt switch, Gorebyss can likely smash on it if it isn't banded, etc), M-steelix easily stops it, most bulky poisons switch in freely, and bulky rocks/grounds like Piloswine, Rhydon, Regirock and Sandslash are solid answers too.

Agree with raise on Beheeyem, it's disgustingly powerful, specs just kills everything and works well to sop up a few hits and retaliate back with powerful attacks.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry but gorebyss is still a pretty good sweeper and it has for less competition for the role of special water sweeper then huntail has for physical water sweeper.

I can see the reasons why huntail would be better but please don't undersell Gibby :}

Yeah I don't think Gorebyss is a bad Pokemon, but I do think Ludicolo mostly better. I also don't think offensive Shell Smash Huntail is great, but I think it's better than Gorebyss because its low Speed is less important. Carracosta, Kabutops, and Feraligatr all have priority as well, but Huntail's priority is stronger, which is a pretty big plus.

I thought it was worth noting that Samurott can run a special set just as effectively as it's physical set.

I have been using Huntail as my main Shell Smasher (yes i tried Gorebyss in XY and it did it's job slightly better)ever since XY and I don't think Gorebyss outclassed it by much even before Huntail got Sucker Punch. They both have similar stats the only difference is one is physically based and one is specially based.

Gorebyss has 84/114/52 offenses
Huntail has 104/94/52 offenses

Honestly, looking at their stats they are about on par with each other, but i would give a slight nod to Huntail being better than Gorebyss since Huntail now gets a priority in the form of Sucker Punch while Gorebyss (correct me if i am wrong) does not get any priority.

I support Huntail being moved up to where ever Gorebyss winds up, right now that would be A- even if that is a bit high for the SmashPass duo.

I realize their main niche is not being a Shell Smash sweeper (it is smashpassing), But they do their job as a smashpasser equally well so i could not use that to differentiate between them. I was pointing out how Huntail isn't outclassed by Gorebyss in the slightest. Even if you do consider it outclassed (which i don't) is it outclassed enough to have Huntail at C+ and Gorebyss at A-? I simply don't see their differences calling for any gap between them in the viability, much less a gap as large as it is now. I think the SS+Sucker Punch combination being legal makes up for the lack of coverage options that Huntail has when compared to Gorebyss.

Last edited:
Musharna is still very good in this metagame and worth of A- ranking at least because of its Baton Pass pivot set. I agree on Calm Mind sets being bad but Baton Pass sets are simply awesome to gain free momentum if the opponent has a Poison or Psychic type as well as getting around Pangoro and Pawniard with ridiculous ease (ik prediction is not a good argument but you keep using BP every time you come in regardless and if you have Twave over Toxic it is even easier to hit them on the switch and THEN switch). The paralysis support it provides is awesome for Pangoro (which it supports incredibly by countering and gaining momentum against every one of his checks like Weezing and Plume) and Glalie (Camerupt too kinda) so I wouldn't like it to be dropped down. Regarding Typhlosion i guess it can be dropped to A even is still as unwallable as before (+1 252 SpA Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega-Camerupt: 156-183 (45.3 - 53.1%) Mega Camerupt not a switch in) because with the huge number of Fire resists around /kinda/ struggles to start spamming Eruption and mostly because mega Camerupt outshines it on balanced teams as it has more switch in opportunities, dual stab, and can change moves while having the same power all around.

I'd like to nominate Mega Camerupt to be promoted from (A)----->(A+) (Would personally like it in S rank but i'm unable to nominate it there...so this will do for now :])

Mega Camerupt is undoubtedly NU's premier wallbreaker atm. It is comparable to what Mega Mawile was in XY OU, in the sense that nothing switches in safely. Anything that switches into this monster is at risk of getting OHKO'd or atleast 2HKO'd. Mega Camerupt can fit many archetypes but I find it best used on hyper offense or bulky offense where u-turners and volt switchers provide many opportunities for Mega-Camerupt to come in and fuck shit up.
It's abysmal speed is almost a non-factor aswell when you consider its great bulk and amazing resistances.

Just a retardedly good mon right now that I feel should be promoted ASAP

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Mega Camerupt is undoubtedly NU's premier wallbreaker atm.
*cough*Pangoro*cough*

It is comparable to what Mega Mawile was in XY OU, in the sense that nothing switches in safely. Anything that switches into this monster is at risk of getting OHKO'd or atleast 2HKO'd.
Mega Camerupt does not have a boosting move and a priority move, they are very different when it comes to their wallbreaking prowess. Also, Assault Vest Hariyama, Mantine, Thick Fat Walrein, Sliggoo, wall Zweilous, and even Lunatone plus goddamn Vibrava (:P) can survive 2 neutral hits from this thing, so it isn't exactly impossible to wall, but let's move on to the bigger issue with Mega Camerupt...

Mega Camerupt can fit many archetypes but I find it best used on hyper offense or bulky offense where u-turners and volt switchers provide many opportunities for Mega-Camerupt to come in and fuck shit up.
It's abysmal speed is almost a non-factor aswell when you consider its great bulk and amazing resistances.
The abysmal speed is a huge reason why Mega Camerupt isn't tearing up walls left and right. You're dealing with a wallbreaker that is slower than the likes of Audino, Vileplume, Rhydon, Steelix, Probopass, Musharna, and even Avalugg, and that is really, really goddamn slow. MegaRupt's sluggishness means that most teams (even offensive ones) can survive a MegaRupt onslaught simply by making use of defensive synergy and forcing it out, especially considering a large majority of Fire resists in the tier, even the slow ones, have a favorable matchup against MegaRupt provided they do not eat an Earth Power on the switch. Compared to other wallbreakers which either have much more spammable STABs and/or simply have the speed to worry less about switch-ins, Mega Camerupt is more prediction reliant than them. It also lacks reliable recovery, meaning if it gets worn down too much it can wallbreak no further, which is likely since nearly all walls outspeed it.

Just a retardedly good mon right now that I feel should be promoted ASAP
No doubt Mega Camerupt is great, but its speed does hold it back from doing its wallbreaking / holepunching job as well as it would like; even a Rock Polish variant doesn't hit the base 90s (provided both MegaRupt and the 90 base Speed Pokemon have equal natures), plus being checked by nearly every single Water-type in the tier doesn't do it favors. I'm not opposed to a rise or simply letting it stay, but a rise to S seems too high. That said, I don't favor dropping Mega Camerupt either; it seems fine where it is (imo, at least).

Mega Camerupt does not have a boosting move and a priority move, they are very different when it comes to their wallbreaking prowess. Also, Assault Vest Hariyama, Mantine, Thick Fat Walrein, Sliggoo, wall Zweilous, and even Lunatone plus goddamn Vibrava (:P) can survive 2 neutral hits from this thing, so it isn't exactly impossible to wall, but let's move on to the bigger issue with Mega Camerupt...
Hence why I said, "in the sense that nothing switches in safely". I am not debating that they wallbreak differently, it was really only meant to be a loose comparison. Mantine gets completely rekt by a predicted rock slide and will rarely ever switch in when rocks are on their side of the field.
The other mons you mentioned are incredibly niche in the meta and serve little use outside of walling MegaRupt (It's like using a Gastrodon solely to counter Kyogre in ubers). AV Hariyama doesn't exactly enjoy eating SF Stab Earth powers either given that it has no form of immediate recovery and can easily be handled and worn down by other members of your team.

The abysmal speed is a huge reason why Mega Camerupt isn't tearing up walls left and right. You're dealing with a wallbreaker that is slower than the likes of Audino, Vileplume, Rhydon, Steelix, Probopass, Musharna, and even Avalugg, and that is really, really goddamn slow. MegaRupt's sluggishness means that most teams (even offensive ones) can survive a MegaRupt onslaught simply by making use of defensive synergy and forcing it out, especially considering a large majority of Fire resists in the tier, even the slow ones, have a favorable matchup against MegaRupt provided they do not eat an Earth Power on the switch. Compared to other wallbreakers which either have much more spammable STABs and/or simply have the speed to worry less about switch-ins, Mega Camerupt is more prediction reliant than them. It also lacks reliable recovery, meaning if it gets worn down too much it can wallbreak no further, which is likely since nearly all walls outspeed it.
The fact of the matter is MegaRupt isn't threatened by much that outspeeds it (atleast mons that can "switch into" it anyway). What are Vileplume, Audino, Probopass and Avalugg doing to MegaRupt? lol

Just because a mon is somewhat reliant on a fair bit of prediction/skill to be used to its fullest, doesn't mean it is any less potent. Landorus-I in OU is an excellent example in that it has the moves to threaten its checks (would you switch a Latios into a Lando-I just because it can take it's Earth Power, Psychic, Focus Blasts? Rarely because the majority of them carry knock off)

So with that being said, it's unfair to say a mon can be handled by such an such because they can take one attack, without looking at its other options...especially with MegaRupt that has amazing coverage with its STABS and rock slide alone.

*cough*Pangoro*cough*

Arguable lol

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Got some new artwork for the viability rankings from Sunfished thanks!

Also I get what you are trying to say with the OU comparisons Neil. but they are a bit vague and for people who don't play OU or follow the Pokemon in OU they're irrelevant lol.

As for Pangoro, I fully support a rise to A+ as it is the best wallbreaker in the tier for a number of reasons; can run multiple sets effectively, has recovery with Drain Punch and and amazing utility move with Knock Off, and can get past all of its checks with a coverage move.

Punchshroom

Mantine gets completely rekt by a predicted rock slide and will rarely ever switch in when rocks are on their side of the field.
4 Atk Sheer Force Camerupt Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 150-178 (45 - 53.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It's a solid check, and unlike Magmortar who can simply respond with a Thunderbolt before Mantine can react, Mega Camerupt needs to Rock Slide on the switch directly to give Mantine pause; otherwise Mantine switches in with ease and forces MegaRupt out.

The other mons you mentioned are incredibly niche in the meta and serve little use outside of walling MegaRupt (It's like using a Gastrodon solely to counter Kyogre in ubers). AV Hariyama doesn't exactly enjoy eating SF Stab Earth powers either given that it has no form of immediate recovery and can easily be handled and worn down by other members of your team.
If the other mons do nothing but wall Mega Camerupt, I would not have mentioned them at all (bar Vibrava, which I shittalked a little :P). While Yama can be worn down by repeated Earth Powers, Earth Power is still only a 3HKO; unless you want to risk a massive hit on MegaRupt, you'll likely be forced out to keep it healthy, as the bolded statement very easily applies to Mega Camerupt as well unless you happen to use extensive VoltTurn support.

The fact of the matter is MegaRupt isn't threatened by much that outspeeds it (atleast mons that can "switch into" it anyway). What are Vileplume, Probopass, Avalugg, and Audino doing to MegaRupt? lol
The former three can land some solid hits on MegaRupt, usually ensuring it won't be healthy enough to cleanly sweep through bulky cores like most other wallbreakers can. Audino can WishTect stall Mega Camerupt, by virtue of MegaRupt being slower; as long as Audino does not switch directly into a Fire Blast, Audino can fend off a MegaRupt assault.

Just because a mon is somewhat reliant on a fair bit of prediction/skill to be used to its fullest, doesn't mean it is any less potent. Landorus-I in OU is an excellent example in that it has the moves to threaten its checks (would you switch a Latios into a Lando-I just because it can take it's Earth Power, Psychic, Focus Blasts? Rarely because the majority of them carry knock off)
As a wallbreaker, Landorus-I is really not very prediction reliant at all because of its great speed; it usually doesn't care if the opponent switches into a bulky resist if it can just use a coverage move to floor them in the very next turn. Meanwhile, the folks in OU are complaining that MegaRupt fails to wallbreak teams even when the opposing Chansey is as low as 30%, or the opposing Clefable starts Calm Minding in its face, etc.. Being a wallbreaker that is slower than the majority of walls it wants to break is not good for business. To answer your Latios question, let me relate it to a MegaRupt scenario: yes, I would risk switching in my Rhydon into a MegaRupt if I am confident it is using Fire Blast (its most spammable attack), because I know it won't be fast enough to respond with an Earth Power if Rhydon does enter safely. This decision is even easier to make if my Fire resist is not weak to Ground.

So with that being said, it's unfair to say a mon can be handled by such an such because they can take one attack, without looking at its other options...especially with MegaRupt that has amazing coverage with its STABS and rock slide alone.
I don't see what is so unfair about stating that most of the Pokemon that can switch into MegaRupt's attacks can either OHKO/2HKO it, because that certainly seems to be the case (mostly Water-types, but strays such as Hariyama and Assault Vest Kangaskhan are also considered); other wallbreakers do not face these problems nearly as much. You are also overestimating the amount of options MegaRupt has access to, because it really does not at all: Hidden Power, Flash Cannon, Rock Polish, Explosion, Earthquake, and Will-O-Wisp are more or less the best 'other options' it has, and they are very niche and usually do little to help Mega Camerupt's situation.

Mega Camerupt is indeed very tanky, meaning the opponent can only pivot for so long and neutral attacks don't bring it down easily. However, the meta has always adapted to the threat of Fire-types since near the very beginning, and Mega Camerupt's pitiful speed means it shouldn't pose an overwhelming threat to most teams that have already prepared for Fire-types. Not only that, but be it against offense and defense, Mega Camerupt has to predict well to make the most out of its wallbreaking abilities, because most teams usually have one solid switch-in against one/both of MegaRupt's STABs, and chances are they threaten it in return. This keeps it out of S Rank imo.

Mega Steelix is easily A+. If you slap in on a team you suddenly have a very powerful pokemon that counters tons of top tier threats like Kangaskhan and Mesprit. Its handy resistances combined with its power is easily enough to justify it being A+. Imo.

Also, I strongly disagree with blaziken1337 about Muk being sent to C. It is capable of switching into basically any grass type, and fire off banded Gunk Shots. Ground types wall it, but you have a very good chance of poisoning anything that comes in because of poison touch combined with Gunk Shots chance to poison. Predicting a steel type to come in is also very easy. Which is why Focus Punch is a good option on Muk, letting it deal about 70% to Mega Steelix on the switch-in. If used right Muk is a very good mon.

Liligant A+ ---> A-

Although Liligant is one of the, if not the best special sweeper in the meta right now, it's rather underwhelming, lacking the power and set-up opportunities. Some of the most common walls, such as Vileplume can come in and force Liligant out, making the other team lose momentum. It has a chance of OHKO'ing with Sludge Bomb and a guarantee of OHKO'ing after SR:

0 SpA Vileplume Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Lilligant: 270-318 (95.7 - 112.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Vileplume Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Lilligant: 270-318 (95.7 - 112.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

And if Liligant has already had a chance to set-up at least one Quiver Dance, it's just 2 KO'd by Sludge Bomb anyway:

0 SpA Vileplume Sludge Bomb vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Lilligant: 180-212 (63.8 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It doesn't even matter if Vileplume is Specially Defensive or not, Liligant simply lacks the power with HP Fire to 100% OHKO it from first turn too:

+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Lilligant Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume: 273-322 (77.1 - 90.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Alright that's enough of the calcs, it's getting quite spammy. The likes of Sap Sipper Bouffalant is even more threatening to Liligant. It can come in to absorb an incoming grass move, and raise its attack, as if it's not powerful enough. It can also live whatever HP Liligant throws at it due to its bulk. Lastly, it's easily revenge killed by Glalie, obviously.

I'm not saying Liligant is bad, it's quite good, but its checks and counters are far too prominent for it to be in A+ rank.

Kangaskhan A+ ---> A

Alright, this is going to be quick and simple because I don't feel as strongly about this. I nominate Kangaskhan to go from A+ to just A in viability ranking. While it has access to two considerably powerful priority moves, it still lack of power is makes it a non-threat to any team with a defensive core neutral to Khan's coverage. All its good at is revenge killing, and allot of the time the AV sets can come in on special attacks and use priority to get rid of the frailer attacker. However, in terms of priority/revenge killing, it's pretty outclassed by the likes of Feraligatr, Glalie, and sometimes Hariyama, all of which can play other roles too.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Liligant A+ ---> A-

Although Liligant is one of the, if not the best special sweeper in the meta right now, it's rather underwhelming, lacking the power and set-up opportunities. Some of the most common walls, such as Vileplume can come in and force Liligant out, making the other team lose momentum. It has a chance of OHKO'ing with Sludge Bomb and a guarantee of OHKO'ing after SR:

0 SpA Vileplume Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Lilligant: 270-318 (95.7 - 112.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Vileplume Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Lilligant: 270-318 (95.7 - 112.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

And if Liligant has already had a chance to set-up at least one Quiver Dance, it's just 2 KO'd by Sludge Bomb anyway:

0 SpA Vileplume Sludge Bomb vs. +1 4 HP / 0 SpD Lilligant: 180-212 (63.8 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It doesn't even matter if Vileplume is Specially Defensive or not, Liligant simply lacks the power with HP Fire to 100% OHKO it from first turn too:

+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Lilligant Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume: 273-322 (77.1 - 90.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Alright that's enough of the calcs, it's getting quite spammy. The likes of Sap Sipper Bouffalant is even more threatening to Liligant. It can come in to absorb an incoming grass move, and raise its attack, as if it's not powerful enough. It can also live whatever HP Liligant throws at it due to its bulk. Lastly, it's easily revenge killed by Glalie, obviously.

I'm not saying Liligant is bad, it's quite good, but its checks and counters are far too prominent for it to be in A+ rank.
Lol so if anything Liligant didn't get worse, Liligant got better with the leaving of Dragalge its main counter in the tier. Meaning it can beat nearly all of its checks / counters with HP Fire, the exception ofc is Bouffoulant, who lets be real here, isn't used enough to justify moving Liligant down. Your calcs with Vileplume make little sense to me as Liligant can easily setup a second Quiver dance on the switch and take 60% max, OHKO and continue its sweep, or if Vileplume is worn down (which isn't hard to do) it can just set up a quiver dance on the switch and KO with even a tiny bit of prior damage. Liligant does not need amazing coverage as it already has enough between Giga Drain and HP Fire, it also has amazing utility with Sleep Powder and access to one of the best boosting moves in the game. I don't see a move down as an option for the reason's you given, and tbh I think lili is a solid A+ mon.

Kangaskhan A+ ---> A

Alright, this is going to be quick and simple because I don't feel as strongly about this. I nominate Kangaskhan to go from A+ to just A in viability ranking. While it has access to two considerably powerful priority moves, it still lack of power is makes it a non-threat to any team with a defensive core neutral to Khan's coverage. All its good at is revenge killing, and allot of the time the AV sets can come in on special attacks and use priority to get rid of the frailer attacker. However, in terms of priority/revenge killing, it's pretty outclassed by the likes of Feraligatr, Glalie, and sometimes Hariyama, all of which can play other roles too.
So I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree with moving Kanga down, but what I do disagree with is your arguments for moving it down. You brought up Kangaskhan's lack of power vs. stuff neutral to it and while it does struggle to get past a few things it absolutely ahnilates other defensive things such as Vileplume and other defensive Pokemon, it doesn't need to handle the relatively few steel-types as it can have a teammate to do that. The biggest things I take issue with is that you said that it is outclassed in terms of revenge killing by gatr, glalie, and yama, this is just wrong lol. As neither gatr or glalie have dual priority and Hariyama is just not as good at dual priority as it has two unSTAB base 40 power moves which aren't that great anymore; Kangaskhan on the other hand has STAB on Fake Out and has a base 80 power move in Sucker Punch. It can fill the role of revenge killer much better, while also filling the role of wallbreaker as well. I could see kanga moving down, but not for the reasons you gave.

Your calcs with Vileplume make little sense to me as Liligant can easily setup a second Quiver dance on the switch and take 60% max, OHKO and continue its sweep, or if Vileplume is worn down (which isn't hard to do) it can just set up a quiver dance on the switch and KO with even a tiny bit of prior damage. Liligant does not need amazing coverage as it already has enough between Giga Drain and HP Fire, it also has amazing utility with Sleep Powder and access to one of the best boosting moves in the game. I don't see a move down as an option for the reason's you given, and tbh I think lili is a solid A+ mon.
I don't think you can use two Quiver Dances in one turn, can you? I see what you're saying, but it doesn't make much sense as the usual thing to do would be to go for Sleep Powder (an unreliable move too) with the chance that the other mon stays in to bop you, as Liligant is frail. The problem with that is the existence of Grass-Types like Vileplume and Serperior. You have to play mind-games in order to set-up and sweep. It's also pretty easy to play around with Hariyama, Magmortar, Typhlosion, Camerupt, and even Mantine, which I failed to mention in my previous post.

Lol so if anything Liligant didn't get worse, Liligant got better with the leaving of Dragalge its main counter in the tier.
And what does this statement have anything to do with its viability? I'm pointing it out for what it is in the Metagame at the moment. Perhaps it didn't deserve to be A+ before? I don't know, and I'm not going to get into that. Also, Dragalge leaving to RU had multiple effects on the Metagame. Maybe with this given info you'd drop it to an A ranking? I honestly don't think it belongs in A+.

As for my Kangaskhan nomination, I can't come up with a good reason for it but if you feel it should move down too, for some other reason, why not nominate it yourself?

Last edited:
I don't think you can use two Quiver Dances in one turn, can you? I see what you're saying, but it doesn't make much sense as the usual thing to do would be to go for Sleep Powder (an unreliable move too) with the chance that the other mon stays in to bop you, as Liligant is frail. The problem with that is the existence of Grass-Types like Vileplume and Serperior. You have to play mind-games in order to set-up and sweep. It's also pretty easy to play around with Hariyama, Magmortar, Typhlosion, Camerupt, and even Mantine, which I failed to mention in my previous post.
He didn't say that he uses 2 Quiver Dance in 1 Turn, he just used the senario you have given him and made a point.

When you switch Vileplume in, Lilligant gets a free Quiver Dance meaning it has +1
Being naturally faster, Lilligant gets another Quiver Dance meaning it gets to +2, while you hit it with SE Sludge Bomb

0 SpA Vileplume Sludge Bomb vs. +2 4 HP / 0 SpD Lilligant: 134-162 (47.5 - 57.4%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Lilligant Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume: 364-429 (102.8 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So much to your "counter"

He didn't say that he uses 2 Quiver Dance in 1 Turn, he just used the senario you have given him and made a point.

When you switch Vileplume in, Lilligant gets a free Quiver Dance meaning it has +1
Being naturally faster, Lilligant gets another Quiver Dance meaning it gets to +2, while you hit it with SE Sludge Bomb

0 SpA Vileplume Sludge Bomb vs. +2 4 HP / 0 SpD Lilligant: 134-162 (47.5 - 57.4%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Lilligant Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume: 364-429 (102.8 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So much to your "counter"
And then I went on to state how Liligant is forced to Sleep Powder due to its frailness, otherwise it has the chance of being KO'd on the spot. Please tell me where I said Vileplume was a counter. I was just using it as a specific example of a check, given it wasn't the best example.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
And then I went on to state how Liligant is forced to Sleep Powder due to its frailness, otherwise it has the chance of being KO'd on the spot. Please tell me where I said Vileplume was a counter. I was just using it as a specific example of a check, given it wasn't the best example.
How is having to use Sleep Powder a bad thing? If anything the access to Sleep Powder makes Lilligant even more threatening because the fast sleep move allows Lilligant to put would-be checks / counters to sleep giving it room to KO them, make them liabilities against Lilligant's teammates, or give itself free setup opportunities.

How is having to use Sleep Powder a bad thing? If anything the access to Sleep Powder makes Lilligant even more threatening because the fast sleep move allows Lilligant to put would-be checks / counters to sleep giving it room to KO them, make them liabilities against Lilligant's teammates, or give itself free setup opportunities.
When did I say it's a bad thing? I simply said it's hard to play around with Liligant because Sleep Powder is inaccurate, and if you predict incorrectly your Liligant is either killed or forced out. It's just frail so it relies on it.

Punchshroom

When did I say it's a bad thing? I simply said it's hard to play around with Liligant because Sleep Powder is inaccurate, and if you predict incorrectly your Liligant is either killed or forced out. It's just frail so it relies on it.
Between Quiver Dance and Giga Drain, the amount of opponents Lilligant can set up on is deceptively large; it can even set up on non-STAB Ice Beams from the likes of Ludicolo and Samurott and proceed to get all its health back in a snap. Quiver Dance also ensures that most special revenge killers will not be able to respond to it. Sleep Powder's inaccuracy isn't a good argument against a Pokemon's viability, considering that Jynx was banned in BW NU.

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
I posted this in NP concerning a debate over Pangoro, and I wanted to post it here.

I propose Panda A ---> S

Pangoro: Versace Python Cased makes a p good point with this..

Pangoro (F) @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Trait: Iron Fist / Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk), Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Substitute

The set of champions..lol.

Although I don't think Pangoro is broken in this meta, I do think it's incredibly unhealthy. The reason it's unhealthy is because it is nearly impossible for balanced teams to beat Panda w/o running a dedicated counter, which doesn't really fit into that team archetype. Although Panda is relatively slow and doesn't have the best typing (on paper), it's typing allows it a lot of free attacks against offensive teams (against pretty much anything that can't OHKO it, it's gonna get a kill). It's stall breaking potential is obvious with access to Taunt and SD (the best set). I just feel like it's impossible to prepare for every set with one team unless you're running HO (outspeed and kill w/everything) or full stall (2-3 "counters"). I know you can't run every set at once, but every team just straight loses to one set imo, and they're all equally viable. Which brings me to the viability rankings thread..

"S Rank:
Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns"). Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths."

I feel like Panda deserves to be S rank because of the Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively portion. It can run a banded, scarf, taunt SD, SD 3 attacks, SubSD, and even LO effectively.

Like I said, it will take time to see if this thing is broken, but it's definitely one of the best and most influential mons in the tier.

Punchshroom

Sigh The Goomy, really?

Despite my gripes about Panda, it really does not warrant S Rank because despite the amount of options it can have, Pangoro has limited utility against offensive teams, bar Parting Shot shenanigans I guess. That said, it is such a dastardly wallbreaker that it doesn't deserve anything below A+.

Mega Glalie can go S though, since it very easily applies incredible pressure against any kind of team once it gets going. It does have a significant flaw in that its typing and average initial speed means that Mega Evolving against offensive teams can be difficult at times, but it still does its holepunching roles exceptionally well regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)