Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

I've been watching I'm a Blissey's YouTube videos about XD: Gale of Darkness RNG manipulation. Although the videos are very helpful, at the time he made them in 2018 the RNG program was entirely in Japanese. Has that program been translated since then?

EDIT: Also, do Shadow Pokémon reveal shininess in battle when they first appear, or only after purification or something?

And if I hit the target and get the shiny Farfetch'd, can I KO it and have it still be the same mon in post-game, so that I can capture it with the one Luxury Ball the game gives you?
In XD, shadow Pokémon cannot be shiny (wilds behave normally). In colosseum, the Pokémon will only be revealed as shiny on capture. Pokémon that are shiny pre-capture will lose their shininess on capture.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Additionally, Colosseum shiny-locks all non-Shadow Pokemon (the two starters, Duking's Plusle, and the gift Ho-Oh at the end).

But to answer your second question, yes Shadow Pokemon stay the same (in Colosseum at least). When I last played Colosseum, I was trying to get a Raikou with a good nature, KO'd it in the first battle and reset in the Deep Colosseum a few times before snagging it there: it was Mild with the same IV spread each time.

Last edited:
Can you catch a Dondozo as a Former Titan Pokemon? (Titan Mark and guaranteed 30 IV in all stats like the other former titan pokemons in the game.)

I found the Tatsugiri. Not sure about the Dondozo.

Asking because the IGN guide for titan pokemons don't mention Dondozo.

In XD, shadow Pokémon cannot be shiny (wilds behave normally). In colosseum, the Pokémon will only be revealed as shiny on capture. Pokémon that are shiny pre-capture will lose their shininess on capture.
Additionally, Colosseum shiny-locks all non-Shadow Pokemon (the two starters, Duking's Plusle, and the gift Ho-Oh at the end).

But to answer your second question, yes Shadow Pokemon stay the same (in Colosseum at least). When I last played Colosseum, I was trying to get a Raikou with a good nature, KO'd it in the first battle and reset in the Deep Colosseum a few times before snagging it there: it was Mild with the same IV spread each time.
Thanks for the answers. This information is great to have now rather than too late. It's too bad I can't get a shiny Farfetch'd with the National Ribbon,but I may aim for that Farfetch'd anyway. Otherwise I will do a Colosseum Pokémon with a low BST, although I don't think anything beats Farfetch'd for low BST in that game after full evolution.

Is/are the RNG programs for Colosseum/XD translated into English yet?

And just to make sure, are there only special balls by the end of XD - A single Dive Ball and a single Luxury Ball, and you can't get moreover them?

QuentinQuonce

Thanks for the answers. This information is great to have now rather than too late. It's too bad I can't get a shiny Farfetch'd with the National Ribbon,but I may aim for that Farfetch'd anyway. Otherwise I will do a Colosseum Pokémon with a low BST, although I don't think anything beats Farfetch'd for low BST in that game after full evolution.
Idk if you've seen this but it's a good guide for what can be taken into Gen VIII; cross-reference with what's in Gen IX if that's useful to you. Dunsparce or Delibird might be a good shout.

1698329616859.png

Is/are the RNG programs for Colosseum/XD translated into English yet?
No idea, sorry.

And just to make sure, are there only special balls by the end of XD - A single Dive Ball and a single Luxury Ball, and you can't get moreover them?
As far as I'm aware the Dive Ball isn't available in XD except by trading, but you can transfer in unlimited amounts via trading after beating the game. There's actually one area in Orre where the Dive Ball is more effective (Phenac Stadium) but ironically all the Shadow Pokemon in Phenac Stadium in XD will flee and end up on Miror B's team if you don't catch them first time around, meaning that effect goes unused. In Colosseum you'd need the Bonus Disc to catch Togepi, Mareep, or Scizor in Phenac Stadium.

I believe XD has all the other balls available at least once (except the Safari Ball, obviously).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Anyone know where I can find a list of all the rental Pokemon in Colosseum's Battle Now mode? Bulbapedia has a list of all species but not their full movesets/stats.
I gave a quick look but no luck.

Just curious, are there any Megathreads or sites that are compiling a list of past gen exclusive mons/moves/ribbons, etc to get before the inevitable Bank shutdown? I know that legacy moves end at SW/SH era, but it would be nice to know.
I found these two pages:

QuentinQuonce

I gave a quick look but no luck.
Okay so I appreciate the response but - with the absolute best will in the world - there's really no need to reply unless it's to say "yes, I found what you're looking for"

I've also looked and found nothing, so I'm going to assume if no one responds it's because they didn't either

All you're doing is getting my hopes up when I see a notification here

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
Okay so I appreciate the response but - with the absolute best will in the world - there's really no need to reply unless it's to say "yes, I found what you're looking for"

I've also looked and found nothing, so I'm going to assume if no one responds it's because they didn't either

All you're doing is getting my hopes up when I see a notification here
i haven't looked and so haven't found anything either :blobthumbsup:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Can't help but feel you missed the point of their post. :blobnom: Unless you have the answer they're seeking, QuentinQuonce sees no reason to respond to their post. Understandable, I only did so as I know some people sometimes feel they're being ignored unless they get a response. Also kudos to SadisticMystic for knowing the answer. :blobthumbsup: Nevermind. :smogthink:

Is it an unspoken rule on this thread that if you don't get a response it's because no one found an answer? If not, maybe we should make it one so we can avoid any hard feelings.

BTW, thanks for all the Likes. :psyglad:

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

IVs/EVs are always 0, but nature, gender, ability, and moves are randomized. If you get the same species in two different battles, it probably won't have the same moveset as last time.
This is wrong, sorry. Moves, natures, and abilities are all fixed; not sure about gender, but if abilities are fixed I'd imagine gender would be too. IVs/EVs do appear to be 0 though.

Hilarious.

Is it an unspoken rule on this thread that if you don't get a response it's because no one found an answer? If not, maybe we should make it one so we can avoid any hard feelings.
Appreciate you taking that in good spirits. I feel like it should be an unspoken rule in general?

Like I'm in several group chats for work and personal stuff, and if someone asks a question like "does anyone know Sarah's number" or "does anyone know what time the event starts" I feel like there's not much point in five different people replying "no". But maybe that's just my own view.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
This is wrong, sorry. Moves, natures, and abilities are all fixed; not sure about gender, but if abilities are fixed I'd imagine gender would be too. IVs/EVs do appear to be 0 though.
Two outside the box ideas. I tried seeing if there was maybe a Colosseum rom dump/datamine, but no dice. However I did some across a list of all the Trainers in the Battle Mode. Maybe there's a chance that, if the NPC is using the team, it could be have the same Moveset & Ability of the rental Pokemon.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gamecube/914973-pokemon-colosseum/faqs/47710

Then another though crossed my mind: since Emerald was only released a year later, they could have reused the rental team in Battle Now! for the Battle Factory.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Battle_Frontier_Pokémon_(Generation_III)

Like I'm in several group chats for work and personal stuff, and if someone asks a question like "does anyone know Sarah's number" or "does anyone know what time the event starts" I feel like there's not much point in five different people replying "no". But maybe that's just my own view.
I didn't want to come off as unhelpful, just that your post was seen and I did search.

While being told the same "no" answer multiple times is a repeat of information, not all the "no" are unhelpful. The initial "no" at least shows someone read your question and presumably did their due diligence of searching the web. You're right that a "no" alone is not helpful, which is why I always try to add some clarification. I like to think myself decent at searching the internet for answers, so if I can't find the info it's either buried somewhere not obvious or just isn't available. "I gave a quick look but no luck" is in spirit a "no" answer, but also informs I did search. Compare that to "i haven't looked and so haven't found anything either" which, while done is jest, yeah isn't helpful.

(BTW, your guilty of it too, and on this very same page
)

I feel like it should be an unspoken rule in general.
Right.

PS: Can we get a winky face added as a smiley? I feel it's one of the more obvious smilies that we're missing.
PSS: While we're at it, I also feel the "Questioning Koffing" :smogthink: or something like it (maybe a Slowpoke with a Question Mark over its head?) would benefit being added to the Like responses. I feel something like it has multiple uses, like for posts which has a question you agree with/couldn't find an answer for, or what was written you have no clue what's going on, or you question the remark/claim made in that post.

QuentinQuonce

Two outside the box ideas. I tried seeing if there was maybe a Colosseum rom dump/datamine, but no dice. However I did some across a list of all the Trainers in the Battle Mode. Maybe there's a chance that, if the NPC is using the team, it could be have the same Moveset & Ability of the rental Pokemon.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gamecube/914973-pokemon-colosseum/faqs/47710
Oh this is more or less exactly what I was originally looking for, thank you. Some of the NPC teams are reused for the rental teams: the one with Starmie, Regice, Porygon2 et al has a different name when you select it IIRC, but it's the same team. It's missing natures/abilities, but it's a good start.

I didn't want to come off as unhelpful, just that your post was seen and I did search.

While being told the same "no" answer multiple times is a repeat of information, not all the "no" are unhelpful. The initial "no" at least shows someone read your question and presumably did their due diligence of searching the web. You're right that a "no" alone is not helpful, which is why I always try to add some clarification. I like to think myself decent at searching the internet for answers, so if I can't find the info it's either buried somewhere not obvious or just isn't available. "I gave a quick look but no luck" is in spirit a "no" answer, but also informs I did search. Compare that to "i haven't looked and so haven't found anything either" which, while done is jest, yeah isn't helpful.
As I said, it was appreciated.

(BTW, your guilty of it too, and on this very same page
)
Not quite. In the post you're referring to there are three questions I'm responding to; I provided an answered two of them, and responded to the second in the negative to show I hadn't overlooked or ignored it. If I'd responded to that person purely to say "I don't know the answer to all three of your questions, sorry", then I'd be guilty of it (as you put it).

Oh this is more or less exactly what I was originally looking for, thank you. Some of the NPC teams are reused for the rental teams: the one with Starmie, Regice, Porygon2 et al has a different name when you select it IIRC, but it's the same team. It's missing natures/abilities, but it's a good start.
Abilities iirc were always random in the Battle Facilities, I know they at least are in gen 4 on, idk about gen 3 (both RS Battle Tower and Emerald Frontier). Natures were random in the DP tower and standardized in Plat on but, again, not sure what the case was in gen 3. If you make any headway in interpreting this, same thing I've said a bunch lately, let me know and I'll stick it on my site.

Abilities iirc were always random in the Battle Facilities, I know they at least are in gen 4 on, idk about gen 3 (both RS Battle Tower and Emerald Frontier). Natures were random in the DP tower and standardized in Plat on but, again, not sure what the case was in gen 3. If you make any headway in interpreting this, same thing I've said a bunch lately, let me know and I'll stick it on my site.
Natures are definitely random in the Battle Factory in gen 3, so they're probably random in all of them.

Speaking of, is there a collected list of all the Pokémon + movesets + held items + everything else permutations that can occur in every Battle facility in every generation's games from Gen 3 onward? I mean, like a list of everything I could encounter in a given facility to ease progression through them. I'm going to be trying to take a weak Pokémon through all the ribbon-granting facilities and could use all the help I can get. Thanks.

(Gen 5's info shouldn't be necessary.)

QuentinQuonce

Speaking of, is there a collected list of all the Pokémon + movesets + held items + everything else permutations that can occur in every Battle facility in every generation's games from Gen 3 onward? I mean, like a list of everything I could encounter in a given facility to ease progression through them. I'm going to be trying to take a weak Pokémon through all the ribbon-granting facilities and could use all the help I can get. Thanks.

(Gen 5's info shouldn't be necessary.)
The dedicated threads for each facility (Frontier 3, Frontier 4, Subway, Maison, Tree, Tower) should each have documents or attached lists in the initial post.

Is it worth using the Stick / Leek item for the extra 2 stages of critical hit likelihood when using Farfetch'd the in Battle Facilities of different generations? I know the critical hit rate also changes with the different generations (as does the critical hit damage), so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth using as a hold item.

And whether or not I use the Stick / Leek on Farfetch'd, which is the better normal-type move: Return or Slash? IIRC Return is 153 with STAB and Slash is 105 with STAB (not sure if this changes with generations), but Slash's extra stage of critical hit rate, especially after 2 stages from Stick / Leek, is a factor I'm not sure about. I think Return is still stronger overall, but I'm not certain about it.

Is it worth using the Stick / Leek item for the extra 2 stages of critical hit likelihood when using Farfetch'd the in Battle Facilities of different generations? I know the critical hit rate also changes with the different generations (as does the critical hit damage), so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth using as a hold item.

And whether or not I use the Stick / Leek on Farfetch'd, which is the better normal-type move: Return or Slash? IIRC Return is 153 with STAB and Slash is 105 with STAB (not sure if this changes with generations), but Slash's extra stage of critical hit rate, especially after 2 stages from Stick / Leek, is a factor I'm not sure about. I think Return is still stronger overall, but I'm not certain about it.
For gen 3-5 it's probably best to just ignore it, gen 6-on you probably want it if you want to run Slash since it's 100% guarantee.

That said with battle facilities with bad Pokemon I think the usual thing you want to do is run 3 good pokemon on every streak until the ribbon streak, then swap in Farfetch'd to go with 2 carries that just sits in the back and doesn't do anything

For gen 3-5 it's probably best to just ignore it, gen 6-on you probably want it if you want to run Slash since it's 100% guarantee.

That said with battle facilities with bad Pokemon I think the usual thing you want to do is run 3 good pokemon on every streak until the ribbon streak, then swap in Farfetch'd to go with 2 carries that just sits in the back and doesn't do anything
Yeah, that's my plan for sure. I'm just worried about things like the WiFi Tower (which apparently is still accessible through fan servers?) where Farfetch'd will have to pull its weight at least a little bit.

EDIT: I want to make sure I'm doing the math right for Gen 6+ critical hit comparisons between Return and Slash with Leek:

Return:
102 (base damage)
* 1.5 (STAB)
* 1 + (0.5 * 0.5) (critical hit chance [stage 3 with Leek] by critical hit damage)
= 191.25

Slash:
70 (base damage)
* 1.5 (STAB)
* 1 + (1 * 0.5) (critical hit chance [stage 4 with Leek] by critical hit damage)
= 157.5

It seems like from my math, Return is still the better option even when Leek becomes especially useful.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the name of the company that publishes/published the official strategy guides in Japanese? Were they officially by Nintendo or by a third party (like with Prima Games)? Did they stop after Sword/Shield like Prima Games did? All I know is that at least they went up to Sword/Shield in Japanese.

Does anyone know the name of the company that publishes/published the official strategy guides in Japanese? Were they officially by Nintendo or by a third party (like with Prima Games)? Did they stop after Sword/Shield like Prima Games did? All I know is that at least they went up to Sword/Shield in Japanese.
Nintendo does do official strategy guides in japan, yeah.
https://www.pokemoncenter-online.com/?p_cd=9784824003560

This is the SV one

translating the little blurb...
The editorial team with over 25 years of experience in editing official Pokémon strategy books has thoroughly played the game and created the most dense information ever, in the most readable, easy-to-understand, and heartfelt way ever!
seems it's probably still approximately the same "team" so I assume this is equivalent to the Nintendo Power guides of old.

But there are other third party guides out there I'm pretty sure, they just don't come up as often. I assume there's a whole industry of usual suspects we don't hear about unless it's old guides where people like to show off the artwork.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)