One for the purists

Hey guys,

This is the first serious competitive team i have made for the shoddy ladder, and i feel that it has alot of potential. So im posting this in the hope that some of the fantastic battlers out there in the Smogon community can critique it and provide constructive feedback to help me unlock this potential. However, i am a 'purist' having grown up with the original gen of pokemon. As you will see i only use pokemon from this gen, with the exception of scizor, who is almost classified 1st gen anyway. so if you have any suggestions for this team, please try to incorporate the 'originals' wherever possible. I also have no intention to use pokemon such as latias,celebi,heatran,jirachi who in my opinion should be ubers. it really irritates me when people legendarylump all 4 together and call it a 'team'. Anyway.. cheers in advance and hopefully i can battle some of you on shoddy one day! :)

Now onto the team itself: 21 Wins; 2 Losses; %: 91.3%

-{Dragonite}-

Item: Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 232 Atk/24 Spd/252 SAtk
Nature: Mild​

- Draco Meteor
- Extremespeed
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake​

Dragonite: Dragonite is singularly the best Anti-Lead in OU. Inner focus is imperative due to the amount of people who use jirachi-esque flinch tactics to get the ball rolling. The mixed move set allows her to hit all commonly used leads for substantial damage, while also allowing her to hit hard from both sides of the attacking spectrum.

Why not another Anti-Lead? Dragonite fulfils the role of lead perfectly, allowing me to build momentum early game, which is absolutely vital. It is almost always guaranteed 1-2 kills per match, but its usefulness does not end there. Extremespeed coupled with its great attack stat allows her to revenge kill during the match. She can also enter late game and clean up. So, a poke that negates opposing leads, causes devastating damage to the enemy and can revenge kill... what more do you want?

Item:
- A toss up between Lum Berry and Life Orb. However, Lum only serves a purpose against roserade and breloom, and the 30% extra damage afforded by life orb is more appealing.
Ability:
- Inner Focus is perfect as it prevents Jirachi from bloody flinch hacking me to death and allows me to anally probe it with fire blast.
Moves:
- Draco Meteor is a ridiculously powerful STAB that cripples even the bulkiest leads.
- Extremespeed KO’s frail passers as they BP while also picking off weakened pokes.
- Earthquake deals massive damage to Heatran, Occa-Gross
- Fire Blast puts an abrupt end to Jirachi, Skarmory, Metagross

-{Machamp}-

Item: Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 216 HP/40 Spd/252 Atk
Nature: Adamant​

- Substitute
- Dynamicpunch
- Payback
- Stone edge​
(Taken from “The Same Old Fears” by august)
“Machamp is another mon that is constantly causing switches, as most Pokémon wouldnt stay in on it in their right minds (hi Blissey). Once behind a substitute, I have a 3 weapon arsenal. Dynamic Punch and it's awesome power / confusion rate help a lot here, and occasionally allow me to stay behind my sub, which means random Gyara / Mence can't Intimidate me. Speaking of them, Stone Edge bashes both extremely hard after Stealth Rock damage has been taken. Payback is a solid 2HKO on Rotom A Restalk variants, and an OHKO on Scarf variants as well, and Substitute blocks Will O Wisp. Another set you would have to try before knocking. Also, this is an absolute monster against stall.”

-{Zapdos}-

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP/32 Spd/228 Def
Nature: Calm​

- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Roost
- Toxic​

This Zapdos works like a dream, the amount of times it has saved my ass is countless. On many an occasion when I found myself in a precarious position (e.g 3-1), this beast has pulled through. Once behind a sub, its natural bulk allows it to toxic all comers and roost away damage so it can sub, sub, and sub again. The combo of Pressure and toxic will eventually wear down opponents, with a potent Thunderbolt coming off a high Spc. Atk stat. It is a fantastic partner with Machamp, as they counter each others’ weaknesses. This provides a solid offensive/defensive combo that forms the foundation of the team.

Now the offensive Trio...
The core of Gyarados, Jolteon and Scizor has near perfect synergy, and ultimately the path will be cleared for one poke to sweep completely unobstructed. With no shared weaknesses, it is also a potent walling combo, which poses a significant threat if the opponent is unprepared. With the Machamp/Zapdos combo supplementing it, often the counters an opponent needs have already been wiped off the face of the field.

-{Gyarados}-

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spd

- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake​

The vintage DD bulky Gyara set, an absolute beast with a couple of DD’s under its belt it becomes nigh on unstoppable. It tears stall teams a new one and even the most hyper offensive teams cannot withstand the fearsome type coverage provided by water ice and ground. EQ hits lucario, Waterfall is a great STAB and Ice fang OHKOs any dragons. Intimidate in my opinion is the ultimate ability, as it cripples physical sweepers from the onset and provides the opportunity to DD up and sweep. In addition, it eliminates Hippowdon, Swampert – pokes that may hinder a jolteon sweep; and fire, or steel pokes that pose a problem to Scizor.

-{Jolteon}-

Item: Life Orb
Ability: Volt absorb
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spc.Atk/252 Spd
Nature: Timid​

- Charge Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden power (ice)
- Shadow ball​

Jolteon is a severely underrated pokemon in my opinion, with most overlooking the spiky sweeper for the support vaporeon. Takes Electric attacks aimed at Gyarados. Sweeps teams. Enough said. This set has the potential to 6-0 your team in the blink of an eye. Coming in on a weakened pokemon, it uses charge beam to KO, with a 70% chance to boost special attack stat. Uhhh choice specs power without single move restriction... YES PLEASE! After +2 boost it hits at a whopping, mind-boggling 738 spc.atk. With its wide range of Super Effective! coverage, it’s pretty much gg. Rotom - check. Salamence – check. Opposing Gyarados – check. Celebi- check. Latias - check. No, really, have fun trying to beat me with a blissey...

-{Scizor}-

Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/76 Atk/4 Spd/176 Spc. Def

- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance
- Roost​

Bulky Swords Dance Scizor places emphasis on setting up reliably and being harder to take out, before dealing as much damage as pokemon-ly possible. Due to Scizor’s great typing and above average defenses, it is relatively easy for this set to find the time to get a Swords Dance. Scizor is countered easily by Zapdos, the Rotom Appliances, Heatran, and Magnezone. However, should the rest of the team do its job, with no reliable counters it is not difficult to reach +6 ... umm rage quits much? It also functions as a revenge killer, letting fly with bullet punches left, right and centre.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello there, I really like this team, its cool how you only use Pokemon from the first (and best!) generation...Scizor we'll let slide. First off, I suggest using Aerodactyl as your lead. Getting Stealth Rock down early in a match is extremely important, especially for a more offensively-minded team such as this one. Aerodactyl pretty much guarentees that you are going to get Stealth Rock up. I suggest a set of Stealth Rock, Taunt, Earthquake, and Rock Slide, a Jolly nature, and an EV spread of 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe (item being Focus Sash). Aerodactyl is pretty much the best suicide lead in the game, capable of getting down Rocks very early and without fail. However, there is another reason that I suggest Aerocatyl. Aerodactyl also happens to have the fastest Taunt in the game with its blazing base 130 Speed (tied only with Crobat). This is extremely important for your team because it will prevent your opponent from setting up Stealth Rock. With three Pokemon on your team taking 25% damage from Stealth Rock on the switchin (Gyara, DNite, and Zapdos), this is extremely important to your team, and as such you should utilize it fully.

But, since Mixed Dragonite is such an important Pokemon to the team, you shouldn't fully get rid of him. I think that you should use him in place of either Zapdos or Jolteon, depending on what you think is your weaker link. Mixed Dragonite just offers up tremendous type coverage, and as such I think that you should keep him on the team. I also think that you should try out Taunt over Ice Fang on Gyarados. The whole reason to use Bulky Gyarados is because of Taunt, blocking things such as status aimed at you (a Toxic or Will-O-Wisp or ThunderWave would ruin Gyara's sweep), and preventing the opponent from phazing you out with a move such as Roar or Whirlwind and wiping away all your stat boosts. Aside from all that, this is a really cool team....I admire how you made a good competitive team while still using your favorites. Hope I helped and good luck! ;)

Hi. Nice team, but you really do need SR somewhere. I would suggest using a Swampert over Zapdos. Without a spinner you're going to get burned if your opponent gets up SR with that many SR weaks, so cutting one of them out can help. Swampert gives you an electric immune, and a better check to things like DD Babri tar, who could be an issue for you. Most important he gives you SR, which you really need. Now on an offensive team it might seem like Swampert would cause you to lose momentum to easy, but with roar you can scout ahead to see what your opponent is going to do, and then start playing some mind games.

Next up is Gyarados, who isn't getting the full use of his EVs. A set of DD/ Waterfall/ Taunt/ Stone Edge gives you better coverage and allows it to function as a true bulky Gyarados. You could also try Bounce, which gives practically the same coverage but works a bit different. On the plus side you get an added turn of Leftovers recovery, and a chance to paralyze. On the down side you have to telegraph your move to the opponent, as well as risk easier phazing by a well predicted move. You're also completly shut down by protect Vaporeon.

Lastly is really just something to test, as it's more of an alternate then anything. But try Rotom-A over Jolteon running a similar set. Charge Beam Rotom won't be as strong or as fast, but it is bulkier and finds more oppurtunites to set up. Just test both and see which one can set up more consistantly.

Overall very nice team, Good Luck!

Swampert @Leftovers
Relaxed; 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Stealth Rock / Earthquake / Ice Beam / Roar

Rotom-A @Leftovers
Timid; 128 HP / 168 SpA / 212 Spe
Charge Beam / Substitute / Hidden Power [Fighting] / Shadow Ball

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated. After a bit of playtesting with some new additions heres what i've found.

First off, I suggest using Aerodactyl as your lead. Getting Stealth Rock down early in a match is extremely important, especially for a more offensively-minded team such as this one. Aerodactyl pretty much guarentees that you are going to get Stealth Rock up.
Yeah given my pretty decent SR weakness this has really prolonged the longetivity of my team, however, you've highlighted the little dillema we come to. Dragonite or Aerodactyl? After much deliberation and decision changing, i have chosen to stick with Dragonite, purely for the early momentum it proides and the opportunity to return late game. Aerodactyl is a suicide lead and does not provide these extra benefits. That being said, i looked at implementing him somewhere else on the team sheet, but as a lead, it really doesnt have any other place.

Next up is Gyarados, who isn't getting the full use of his EVs. A set of DD/ Waterfall/ Taunt/ Stone Edge gives you better coverage and allows it to function as a true bulky Gyarados. You could also try Bounce, which gives practically the same coverage but works a bit different. On the plus side you get an added turn of Leftovers recovery, and a chance to paralyze. On the down side you have to telegraph your move to the opponent, as well as risk easier phazing by a well predicted move. You're also completly shut down by protect Vaporeon.
This set has done wonders for allowing Gyarados to sweep unhindered. Taunt prevents those annoying status effects that often spoil a potential sweep. After comprehensive testing, the one worry that i have is Stone Edge's shaky accuracy, which seems to desert me at the most inopportune times. Im maybe considering Outrage as an alternative..? Still clean sweeps opposing Gyarados, Salamence etc.

About to give Swampert a test run, but any other people who have suggestions feel free to post. Any suggestions will be considered. Cheers.

If you are going to have a slow lead like dragonite. You should make gyarados or machamp a rest talker.I can also see that you are mix pokemon weak. I recommend a phaser swampert.

Swampert @ leftovers
(ev's your choice)

hydropump/waterfall
stealthrocks ( because you dont have it.
yawn
earthquake/ice beam

you could switch the moves around if you put SR on something else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)