ORAS OU On the mend... Peaked 1805 #72

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
On the Mend
Hey guys, its geerat from showdown and today I'm going to bring you one of my best OU teams, as you will see it is centered around that massive bug, volcarona. I have had a lots of success using it and I am not proud not say it but it's actually my first decent team in OU, even though I have made pretty good teams in other formats and peaked, so my GXE might suck. So enough self pity, now lets have a look at the team ::

Proof of Peak ::

Team-Building ::

So, as I told you I wanted to make a team centered around volc, so obvio it is the first mon

So, as you will see I wanted hp ground on my volc over bug buzz so I pretty much had to remove latis consistently, so incomes ttar.

Now, I noticed how weak I was to keldeo and also wanted rocks so in came celebi.

As with volc I wanted to be pretty much rock proof + I wanted a hard counter to mega sableye and tank chomp, so diancie was a cool fit.

Till now even with celebi my sand matchup wasn't looking good, so washtom was kind of a fit + lando counter is always appreciated.

At last I noticed I had no hazard control, so I just added a starmie, seeing how good a matchup it had with most common rock setters

But with starmie, I just get pummelled by weavile, so since I had sand up, I thought why not get another win-con + fast rapid spin under sand, so finally I settled on excadrill.
Next up, we go the best part ;) ::

On the mend (Volcarona) @ Passho Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain
So, lets start with the so called "MVP" of the team.I have a little more speed than the regular set, just to out speed a scarf jolly darm, which I have seen quite a surprising number of times on the ladder.
As far as the set goes, you have quiver dance that basically defines this mon, then the main move on the set faire blast or fiery dance. You can choose fiery dance for that special attack increase but fire blast is better on a offensive set as it koes lando-t at +1 which fiery dance fails to do(pretty imp). Plus on a offensive set most of the times you will get volc to only +1 anyways. I actually like hp ground just not to be walled by spdef ran even at +6, as most of the teams don't exactly have counter for this mon except chanseys and heatrans. Atleast hp ground bops one of them. And at last passho berry + giga drain is a sweet combo to set up against some water types.

Monstaa (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower

- Pursuit
Since, as you saw latis pretty much wall my volca set, so band ttar was added to check latis pretty comfortably(and specially mega lati which is pain for this team to handle) and man...this guy is so freaking powerful. It just destroys stall as with some prediction, stone edge + crunch has practically no switch-ins on a stall team. Fully def skarm gets 2HKoed, and my Ttar is EVed to outspeed standard skam set, so it ain't roosting before me. And it checks mega mane and lots of stuff as banded pursuit almost koes and is a guaranteed KO after rocks. Superpower is just coverage, you can change it to fire punch to nab a KO on ferro, but I prefer getting chansey. So, I have come to love this set lol and believe me there hasn't been a game where ttar hasn't made itself useful just due to the sheer power it has.

Tonka (Excadrill) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

- Rock Slide
Now, with volcarona I needed a hazard remover, but since it was the last slot of the team, I needed a secondary win-con too, so excadrill is a perfect fit and between exca and ttar I have char-x checked at +1 ( you shouldn't let him set up to +2 though -_-). Pretty standard exca set, you can use Jolly over Adamant to check other excadrills, but we already have rotom + celebi so that's pretty unnecessary + you lose out on a lot of power. Not much to say other than that earthquake is stupidly powerful though.

Jewel (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power

- Protect
Again pretty standard diancie set, specially in the team being able to revenge the rare hp bug specs keldeo. Since, my sableye match-up wasn't looking good(though it gets 2HKoed by stone edge but no way ttar is switching) and up untill now I had no way to break through tank chomp comfortably. 32 Atk evs is important as it allows you to KO physically defensive zapdos after rocks. Moonblast is standard and hits most of the tier hard with special attack investment and earth power can be replaced by hp fire to hit scizor and ferro but you really shoudn't stay on either of them. Also she is he only mon on the team which reliably goes one on one vs bisharp.

Skye (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Thunder Wave

- Stealth Rock
Now comes the defensive backbone of the team, I always thought celebi was pretty meh since it boasted to have a typing that granted the max number of weaknesses, but to be frank it checks so much stuff in the whole meta and combine that with good sustain in recover, you got yourself a tank.
Ok, giga drain is the only move it needs to have a upper hand against hippo, rotom, keldeo etc. You could get cheeky and use psychic or earth power but its just not worth it. Now instead of baton pass, I opted for t-wave as for some reason people like to switch in their latis and tornadus(which is pretty much a liability once it gets paralysed). Stealth Rocks coz duh! This little guy has saved me in so many clutch situations that its not even funny.

Earthquake (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

- Pain Split
And at last a good old sand + lando counter. and only mon which can actually beat weavile one on one if sand is not up. Again standard set, I assume you can run 44 speed evs for azumarill, but doesn't really bother me that much so its fine. Will-o-wisp can be changed to t-wave to counter char-x, buts thats totally on situational as will-o-wisp has much more utility. Slow Volt switch provides a safe entry for volcarona to do its thing.

So, I guess that's the team, now as far as the match up against top mons is considered ::
:: Not tough, plenty of stuff 2hko and doesn't want to switch in on banded Ttar.
:: Easy, sand rush exca, rotom, celebi
:: Celebi is a dedicated counter, specs revenged by diancie anyways and scarf doesn't hit that hard. Sub cm is shut down by celebi again.
:: Again not tough, can be tricky but you can always go back to rotom.
:: Ttar destroys, celebi walls after tanking a draco.
:: celebi walls and volcarona sets up

:: volcarona destroys any set
:: Scout its moves, ttar + rotom check if iron tail or diancie checks if focus blast
:: If it gets at +2 then click x
:: Celebi checks and t-waves
:: Band ttar makes short work of it(with or without mega stone).
:: Diancie my bae
:: Numerous checks
:: Celebi does well and t-waves otherwise you have to get sand up.
:: Only predictions can save ya.
:: Not good if it sets up, you need a healthy diancie
:: Poor match-up nothing switches, rotom can atleast will-o-wisp.
:: Not tough I guess, haven't faced that many.
:: Go, get sand up or tank a hit using celebi and t-wave.

Awesome Replays ::
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-363313755 :: Ttar destroys stall while diancie cleans up
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-363632404 :: Again stall getting annhilated
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-363606197 :: Mega zam HO
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-363919655 :: Regen team lol
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-364353351 :: Volcarona saves the day
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-365103060 :: Volcarona sweeping against a rain team lol
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-370974472 :: Ttar breaks that sick chan-skarm core
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-370980711 :: Celebi baits in weavile
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-370987875 :: He puts a lot of pressure on me using entei and scarf lando but I finally pull through
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-368635383 :: Full pixies team..yay!
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-363914782 :: One of my fav replays where I broke stall
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-364281158 :: lol, he set up his char-x against banded ttar

So, my smobros thats the team, and those of you who have stuck around till here..here's something from me

So, guys rate the team, judge it and whatever and please tell me how can I improve it.
Have fun!!
I will post the importable in comments.

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Importable ::

EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain

Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Monstaa (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Jewel (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

Skye (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

yo darksylvion, this is a cool squad and you've clearly put some good thought and effort into the build as evidenced by the high peak. however, like you mentioned this team has a fair few mons that threaten it quite a bit. charizardy is honestly literally impossible for you to switch in on; the team relies on pivoting between tyranitar and rotom-w on solar beams which can be easily read and stopped. volcanion is also a challenge to beat as there's not much to be done aside from pivoting back and forth to try and catch it locked into a fire blast, but it'll get kills for sure most games and it's hard for you to check it. weavile and bisharp are also quite difficult to beat as while excadrill outspeeds both under sand, there's not much counterplay for a +2 bisharp and weav just clicks knock off to be honest once sand has gone down; it's not as though low kick weav is an uncommon set. it also occurred to me that it can be hard for your team to muscle past tank garchomp for volcarona to sweep as tank chomp can eat up fire blast pretty easily and continually dtail it out, which makes it hard for you to execute your sweep. cm mega alakazam is tough to maneuver around given that it can trace sand rush and 2hkos the team most of the time, and the counterplay really is thunder waving with celebi which isn't vaguely reliable. beating thundurus is also very difficult as again, like with mega zam, the counter is celebi and it can easily come in on a slightly weakened diancie, tyranitar, chunk rotom-w, etc. offensive starmie kind of just destroys the squad too, as unless you gain a boost w/ volc or have sand up nothing can come in on two hydro / ice / psychic at all and it gains free attacks on ttar, which you need to preserve for sand, diancie, and volca which still isn't tanking even w/ passho. same with manaphy after a boost as you essentially have to chip it down and then revenge with excadrill if it's carry ice beam / scald / eball / tg. mega scizor also puts a lot of pressure on the build given that your primary check is volcarona and it's not always possible to rapid spin away rocks. spikes ferro builds are a massive nuisance that outside of a telegraphed band superpower, not much is actually threatening it out beside volcarona which is probably taking stealth rock damage. actually beating competent stalls is potentially problematic for the team as well given that unlike the replay you posted, most stalls should attempt to stall out stone edges with skarmory and quagsire then pivot back and forth, and shedinja stall just traps and kills ttar with dugtrio so that's out of the question. that's enough nitpicking though, let's get into the rate.

-> using ice punch mega lopunny instead of diancie lets you check bisharp and weavile while luring out garchomp and putting it into range of a +1 volcarona. spamming fake out also gives you counterplay against mega alakazam, which you otherwise have no counterplay for, and gives you an offensive check to mons like starmie via fo + return which can be nuisance to switch in against.

however, you're still fairly weak to mega alakazam and switching into weavile. using max attack chople tyranitar lets you take on mega alakazam, thundurus, charizardy, and set stealth rock more reliably while still checking mega latias fairly well and luring out threats to a volcarona sweep. fire blast also helps you to deal with ferro and sciz as well, limiting the amount of free switches that they can gain, but ice beam can also work fine to have a secondary means of weakening lando and chomp.

-> you mentioned that celebi was your primary answer to sand, rain, and waters like keldeo. however, rotom-w actually handles the majority of those fairly well, and mega lopunny allows you to stall sand and rain turns with fake out. since tyranitar now has rocks, you can afford to use cm latios, a more offensive keldeo and char-y switchin that handles volcanion a bit better and picks up the wallbreaking slack that tyranitar previously had. after a calm mind, bisharp is easily knocked out, and other threats to a volcarona sweep like thundurus are checked again by latios. additionally, latios can force out mega latias that aren't running maximum speed, and most aren't carrying dragon coverage, so you can at the worst trade latios getting paralyzed in exchange for killing opposing mega latias. it also checks rotom-w about as well as celebi did, which is crucial for your team as you don't really enjoy coming in on it.

given that you have tyranitar and rotom-w for walling talonflame, you can afford to run swords dance rapid spin excadrill. an extra breaker is much appreciated against the aforementioned garchomp, which you can ohko after a boost, and sd provides you with another win condition late game especially against mega latias. rock slide isn't necessary given your defensive options.

finally, a small nitpick that you can consider is 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe on rotom-w, which hits 230 speed and outpaces the standard volcanion so that you can volt switch on it. this is nice because while you have latios to switch inmost of the time, wearing powerful breakers down is crucial to allow your slow mons like tyranitar free room to operate.

finally, run max satk and max speed on volcarona. 40 hp is not a significant enough amount to justify being outsped by base 100s like manaphy, medicham, zard-y, and gardevoir pre-quiver dance.

so while i made some fairly substantial changes, i feel as though they make executing the purpose of an excadrill or volcarona sweep much more likely via combined pressure. ice punch lopunny has incredible synergy with not only your volcarona set, but also your exca given that they're both reliant on grounds like chomp being eliminated. with the changes, you should handle the majority of the threatlist better while better executing your team's purpose.

best of luck broski n_n

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain

Monstaa (Tyranitar) @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Ice Punch

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Recover

EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Last edited:

Sylveon.

yo darksylvion, this is a cool squad and you've clearly put some good thought and effort into the build as evidenced by the high peak. however, like you mentioned this team has a fair few mons that threaten it quite a bit. charizardy is honestly literally impossible for you to switch in on; the team relies on pivoting between tyranitar and rotom-w on solar beams which can be easily read and stopped. volcanion is also a challenge to beat as there's not much to be done aside from pivoting back and forth to try and catch it locked into a fire blast, but it'll get kills for sure most games and it's hard for you to check it. weavile and bisharp are also quite difficult to beat as while excadrill outspeeds both under sand, there's not much counterplay for a +2 bisharp and weav just clicks knock off to be honest once sand has gone down; it's not as though low kick weav is an uncommon set. it also occurred to me that it can be hard for your team to muscle past tank garchomp for volcarona to sweep as tank chomp can eat up fire blast pretty easily and continually dtail it out, which makes it hard for you to execute your sweep. cm mega alakazam is tough to maneuver around given that it can trace sand rush and 2hkos the team most of the time, and the counterplay really is thunder waving with celebi which isn't vaguely reliable. beating thundurus is also very difficult as again, like with mega zam, the counter is celebi and it can easily come in on a slightly weakened diancie, tyranitar, chunk rotom-w, etc. offensive starmie kind of just destroys the squad too, as unless you gain a boost w/ volc or have sand up nothing can come in on two hydro / ice / psychic at all and it gains free attacks on ttar, which you need to preserve for sand, diancie, and volca which still isn't tanking even w/ passho. same with manaphy after a boost as you essentially have to chip it down and then revenge with excadrill if it's carry ice beam / scald / eball / tg. mega scizor also puts a lot of pressure on the build given that your primary check is volcarona and it's not always possible to rapid spin away rocks. spikes ferro builds are a massive nuisance that outside of a telegraphed band superpower, not much is actually threatening it out beside volcarona which is probably taking stealth rock damage. actually beating competent stalls is potentially problematic for the team as well given that unlike the replay you posted, most stalls should attempt to stall out stone edges with skarmory and quagsire then pivot back and forth, and shedinja stall just traps and kills ttar with dugtrio so that's out of the question. that's enough nitpicking though, let's get into the rate.

-> using ice punch mega lopunny instead of diancie lets you check bisharp and weavile while luring out garchomp and putting it into range of a +1 volcarona. spamming fake out also gives you counterplay against mega alakazam, which you otherwise have no counterplay for, and gives you an offensive check to mons like starmie via fo + return which can be nuisance to switch in against.

however, you're still fairly weak to mega alakazam and switching into weavile. using max attack chople tyranitar lets you take on mega alakazam, thundurus, charizardy, and set stealth rock more reliably while still checking mega latias fairly well and luring out threats to a volcarona sweep. fire blast also helps you to deal with ferro and sciz as well, limiting the amount of free switches that they can gain, but ice beam can also work fine to have a secondary means of weakening lando and chomp.

-> you mentioned that celebi was your primary answer to sand, rain, and waters like keldeo. however, rotom-w actually handles the majority of those fairly well, and mega lopunny allows you to stall sand and rain turns with fake out. since tyranitar now has rocks, you can afford to use cm latios, a more offensive keldeo and char-y switchin that handles volcanion a bit better and picks up the wallbreaking slack that tyranitar previously had. after a calm mind, bisharp is easily knocked out, and other threats to a volcarona sweep like thundurus are checked again by latios. additionally, latios can force out mega latias that aren't running maximum speed, and most aren't carrying dragon coverage, so you can at the worst trade latios getting paralyzed in exchange for killing opposing mega latias. it also checks rotom-w about as well as celebi did, which is crucial for your team as you don't really enjoy coming in on it.

given that you have tyranitar and rotom-w for walling talonflame, you can afford to run swords dance rapid spin excadrill. an extra breaker is much appreciated against the aforementioned garchomp, which you can ohko after a boost, and sd provides you with another win condition late game especially against mega latias. rock slide isn't necessary given your defensive options.

finally, a small nitpick that you can consider is 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe on rotom-w, which hits 230 speed and outpaces the standard volcanion so that you can volt switch on it. this is nice because while you have latios to switch inmost of the time, wearing powerful breakers down is crucial to allow your slow mons like tyranitar free room to operate.

finally, run max satk and max speed on volcarona. 40 hp is not a significant enough amount to justify being outsped by base 100s like manaphy, medicham, zard-y, and gardevoir pre-quiver dance.

so while i made some fairly substantial changes, i feel as though they make executing the purpose of an excadrill or volcarona sweep much more likely via combined pressure. ice punch lopunny has incredible synergy with not only your volcarona set, but also your exca given that they're both reliant on grounds like chomp being eliminated. with the changes, you should handle the majority of the threatlist better while better executing your team's purpose.

best of luck broski n_n

Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain

Monstaa (Tyranitar) @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Ice Punch

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Recover

EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
Thanks man, that was a massive rate lol
-I know on paper the team looks like it has many weaknesses, and yeah but you will have to consider a few stuff, like why I would make volcarona stay on a tankchomp specially when I have a rotom and even celebi. As far as char-y is considered, you just have to play intelligently against it, if I lose celebi for latios( though it isn't that bad a change), I kind of lose a lot of bulk for the team, mega-lop > diancie is a nice change though, but I fail to understand how that's going to help me against tank chomp but it certainly helps against weavile and stuff.
-Now as far as bandtar is considered, its not only about the power, its the unpredictability that matters, if opponents skarm is weakened, he just sends out his quagsire or sableye to stall out ttar, but what he doesn't realise that both aren't safe switches into banded ttar, as crunch 2HKoes both of them(I mean it has a high chance to for sableye) and also it means chansey can't softboiled stall me out. So, without that, my team kind of loses straight to stall, unless I'm against a bad player.
-Swords dance air balloon excadrill is pretty good btw, I will change that.
-Also ferro issue will be a little remedied by mega lop over diancie.

Anyways, thanks for the help I am going to try out the changes anyways though :o)

it wasn't a question of leaving in a volc against garchomp but rather not being able to break past it without having to eat stealth rock and dtail damage when you try to sweep which prevents you from setting up again, that's all

ice punch lop lures out garchomp to force it into +1 giga drain range so that volc can sweep for sure. idt any competent player should be letting you mb chomp with diancie really, and after recent tournaments (spl) i don't think that any competent stall player should be unaware of the possibility of band tyranitar. they should probably read the rocks on celebi and band on ttar given the otherwise stall weak and attempt to pivot between stalling out edges and harding into unaware clef, which is becoming increasingly common as an actual tg rd manaphy check, and can force an edge to be used which can then be recovered off w/ quag.

latis nice for having an actual volcanion switchin besides reading a fire blast and pursuiting, same with zardy tbh. tho if you enjoy playing 50/50s against mega zam and fb thundurus or relying on focus blast dodges then by all means do so

anyway it's up to you, it was a cool team, will concede stall but if you can lure out skarm or weav cm latios can win longterm i suppose

Last edited:

Sylveon.

it wasn't a question of leaving in a volc against garchomp but rather not being able to break past it without having to eat stealth rock and dtail damage when you try to sweep which prevents you from setting up again, that's all

ice punch lop lures out garchomp to force it into +1 giga drain range so that volc can sweep for sure. idt any competent player should be letting you mb chomp with diancie really, and after recent tournaments (spl) i don't think that any competent stall player should be unaware of the possibility of band tyranitar. they should probably read the rocks on celebi and band on ttar given the otherwise stall weak and attempt to pivot between stalling out edges and harding into unaware clef, which is becoming increasingly common as an actual tg rd manaphy check, and can force an edge to be used which can then be recovered off w/ quag.

latis nice for having an actual volcanion switchin besides reading a fire blast and pursuiting, same with zardy tbh. tho if you enjoy playing 50/50s against mega zam and fb thundurus or relying on focus blast dodges then by all means do so

anyway it's up to you, it was a cool team, will concede stall but if you can lure out skarm or weav cm latios can win longterm i suppose
Sorry for the late reply, just saw this post actually I tried out your changes just now, though it performs well offensively since it kind of shifts towards bulky offense, so it does miss the bulk of celebi, so can you suggest some thing which helps the overall bulk of the team, believe me I am running blank here. :[

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)