Tournament OMPL XI - Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redflix

Forgiven and Hanged
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Continuing with the eulogies even tho im very late and sick,

Photon Geezers
Another Team managed with newcomers to the community, Geezers differed from the Fluttermania in the sense both managers were competent enough players who could easily start in ompl and thus offered solid support as well. However the decision of self-buying both was a bit weird to me- as with the budget decrease in this years ompl made it tricky planning a solid draft with 26k down. With limited budget on their hand, Geezers started their auction cautiously, buying LBDC for 11k. LBDC wasnt the best STAB player by any means but had a strong understanding of the meta and was expected to do well in a doubtful player pool. They later got MZ for aaa for the same price which i found to be a bit expensive considering players who dont need heavy support like MZ only went 13/14k (TNM/Osake). This AAA pool was undoubtedly the strongest in years as well and even tho MZ had an amazing ompl last season, that was with osake's support and with geezers managers not exactly known for their aaa skill, i think this was somewhat of a less ambitious buy from ponch and tea. 5dots was next in their buying list, hailed as a prolific builder and having recently made open finals, 8k was a very fair price for them. Geezers sorted their mnm slot by getting dB. Just like what i said earlier, No MnM slot was a good buy unless you were getting stresh or ice, so while dB was definitely on theory the "best of the rest", whether this was worth it or not was always gonna rely on the result. They further got Bread sandwich / Krytocon / tuthur for Ag, 2v2 and Nfe respectively and all were decent. Tuthur was supposedly a good pivot of nfe hyped by greybaum so them + 5dots was one of the stronger nfe slots in the tour. Then in the most confusing buy ever, Geezers got augustkira for 5k. Later revealed to be a failed upbid, this made their already expensive bh slot surge to 18.5k. Did it strengthen the slot to the point u could consider it worth it? Probably not since tea could just very well test with opposing bh players considering how close the bh community is. Their final buys consisted of Farce / Clarex and Zastra , all good support options to strengthen their ag/2v2/ MnM buys. They also got Tanny89k as their supposedly aaa support which to me was surprise considering i didnt even know tanny mained aaa this gen. This was even more confusing when there were other notable aaa support options available in the pool like cumps or tranquility.

I think this line up suffered from lack of heavy-hitter names. All buys were "decent" but that was about it. Expensive bh slot for no apparent reason, No good aaa support for mz were further problems that could hamper their season. For geezers to make playoffs, the key slots had to fire- BH / GG / AAA / NFE with MnM and STAB also pulling up their weight. Overall, this draft was definitely in the lower half of the rankings for me.

1689450412805.png

The lack of star power really did hurt the geezers the most. As apart from GG none of the slots really "fired". The self proclaimed #1 BH slot (which i learnt later got edited into #2) turned out to be a disappointment with Tea only playing 4 games in the season and ending up 2-2. The two wins were also against two of the lower ranked slots in pdt and leru. Akira ended up 2-1 and had an impressive showing but an 18.5k bh slot only winning against slots it was expected to win, with a 13.5k playing manager only playing 4 games in the season is always gonna raise some questions. In hindsight, this really points out that maybe self-buying decision from tea wasn't the best. MZ's season was also forgetful with him incurring 3 losses in the first half and only starting his redemption once Geezers got outside help. This situation was worsen by tanny cancering. STAB, MnM and 2v2 slots also suffered with STAB and MnM particularly having terrible records. While with STAB, u can blame the metagame somewhat (altho LBDC's reliance on solid builds was definitely exploited in this tour), in MnM it was just dB bringing weird teams that did not feel were tested enough. Losses against stresh and avarice were particularly disappointing as one was a result of a really bad team being brought and other was against a player with no mnm knowledge. When ur only win is against a noivern + kingambit team then you know u did something wrong the whole season. 2v2 performed average and idt u couldve expected more tbh. Where u couldve expected more is in their nfe slot, as tuthur impressed in the early half of the tour but losses vs shaneghoul and stareal in particular were detrimental given the standards tuthur set and pushed them down to a even record. GG was the saving grace for this team as ponchlake in his first ompl impressed a lot , bringing crafty teams and playing very solidly accumulating a 6-1 record vs tough opponents. AG while ended up 4-3, was another tier where the geezers could be proud as farce ended up 3-1 against good set of opponents.

Rounding up, Things just didnt click up for geezers this season. Their draft already had plenty of holes which couldve only been negated by some strong performances in multiple slots but most failed to do so. Major hiccup was obviously aaa drafting issue but also the teams failure to show up in important weeks like vs gholds (where instead they had to be saved by rng) or "strong" slots not being able to clutch up vs other solid players in the case of week vs virizzions put them in a dire spot in the last weeks from which they could not recover. ponchlake good run tho, always happy to see new players taking the om tour scene with a storm.

Gods as Gholds
Continuing the trend of teams managed by newcomers getting out this ompl, we have gods as gholds managed by Maybca and Eledyr. Both managers weren't particularly known in the om community and them being chosen was definitely a bit controversial considering Morgan who was a returning manager from last year (and made it to finals tb) was shafted. But since Morgan lacked om clout, thankfully this pair being chosen did not create a chloe 2.0 situation. Odds were stacked against this pair, as not only this pair did not know what their team name was (nobody does) but they also did not offer high level support in any of the metas played - both had some GG and aaa expertise but that was about it. So neither manager buying themselves was expected. Their first buy had to be banger in the draft to overcome this disadvantage and banger it was- well price wise as they spent a whopping 18.5k on ivar57. Now this isnt anyone's fault tbh, ivar was one of those buys who was 100% gonna be overpriced in this auction no matter what given his recent performance and om championship win. But 18.5k on a player that would be playing the likes of atha / shiloh / tnm (not gonna mention osake cuz he is an easy dub) was never gonna be worth it imo. They continued their spending spree and then got abriel for 13k. Abriel was competent in both nfe and stab but he wasnt a heavy-hitter so 13k def seemed a bit odd but nonetheless, this was a player that could easily go positive and also offer line up flexing. Gholds then picked up their nfe slot in the form of pandadoux. The previous-gen aaa main had just made bh open finals but was the most hyped for his playing abilities in nfe. Since the expectations were high, 11.5k was a fair price. They got another very hyped player in the form of taxfraud who was a prolific and crafty builder. Gholds further strengthened their line up by getting the best 2v2 player of last ompl. However, the train of big names ended here. Chessking for 7k was fair but the bh pool was extremely tough this year so this instantly became one of their weakest slot. Damflame was their next buy for 6.5k which imo made negative sense. Maybe the managers did not read my very accurate MnM player rankings for the draft or just thought ivar could mnm and damflame could bh cuz this was a bad buy for a player who hadn't had a positive stint in mnm in ages (no offense to damflame here they could be utilised in bh more). The Gholds completed their line up by getting fraise, a relatively known gg player. They werent someone u could consider a top player but knew the meta and with abriel support, could possibly end up positive so it was a fair gamble from the managers. The subs included of lancer / avarice / ballfire and BoingK which meant gholds atleast had support in 2v2, BH , AG and AAA.

Given the doubts, Maybca and Eledyr actually managed to get a good draft. A lot depended on how Ivar would fair and how their GG / BH and stab went but this was a line-up that was in the top half and could have an easy time qualifying for playoffs.

1689450441312.png

Oh Boy did they not have an easy time at all! AAA and 2v2 ending up negative certainly played a part in that. While Ivar started strong and won vs atha week 1, his loss vs tier week 2 was shocking and disappointing. Week 2 in particular was Ghold's biggest hiccup as they lost 2-6 with majority of their "strong" slots unable to perform against players of equal skill. Ending up with a 3-4 record, Ivar did win vs the frenchies but failed to give his team an advantage in week 5 and week 6 where a win wouldve made gholds life much easier. Chris going negative was also surprising and while this did include an act loss, overall he couldn't match his level of dominance and expertise in the tier as last ompl. PandaDoux impressed with a 4-2 record and certainly lived up to the hype. Taxfraud ended up positive as well, altho u could argue more was expected from him. Abriel also garnered a 4-2 record in STAB, which is very impressive given how every player was complaining about the meta every week. Chessking proved majority of the players wrong and started 4-0 but then fell back to earth and lost 3 in a row. This was again very daunting to Gholds as a win any of the weeks couldve drastically improved their chances. The obvious holes in their draft did not get fixed and instead got bigger as the tour went by with their mnm slot going winless the first 5 weeks thus confirming my complaints with the draft. Avarice did end up 1-1 in the tier tho and actually did save their season, i wonder which great person helped gholds at that time! GG too proved to be an unsuccessful gamble as Fraise could only fetch a 2-5 record.

Week 4 to 6 were super important to the team and them not being able to push for a win there (granted tho with neutral luck they shouldve won week 6) proved to be super detrimental. The draft was good and aside from the huge throw in MnM, idt there needed to be any changes. It was always gonna be revolved around Ivar's and (somewhat) Chris's records and them not being able to deliver for the team in the aforementioned weeks really hurt. The gholds still had a solid chance in their last week if they wouldve won vs virizzions but they got owned instead. Overall they just couldnt make it cuz the line-up did not fire in vital moments and in such cases, u cant really do much.

Since i was late, i would be giving an exclusive sneak peek to next weeks eulogies
THE WIGGLY FAMILY

Lasen

pleading and afraid
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
SV Anything Goes - Lasen vs Guard Cooler name smh
your name is Boing
SV Anything Goes - Lasen vs Guard - I was told that Guard is the best AGer before the tour started so I'm still going w that
ezgif.com-gif-maker.png

SV Anything Goes - Lasen vs Z Strats - Z has the strats, and when you let him play in a tier where Anything Goes.. then the possibilities are endless. Also start Inders for AG in OMPL.
Z isn't even slotted + there's no type of lake named "ponch" + L + ratio
SV Anything Goes: Lasen (2-1) (winstreak: 1) vs Guard (5-1) (winstreak: 1). Earlier in the season this was the one game guard didnt play and Lasen managed to win vs tier. But that seems to be the only seeming edge lasen has in this matchup. Guard has put on a stellar performance so far as you would expect with the sheer amount of AG knowledge within the team. While Lasen hasnt been bad in AG, he is not polt, the guard slayer. So I expect another AG win for the SSSSS this week.
banned from LC discord for crimes against humanity (being Dutch)

speaking of Dutch users who've gotten punished, I won! go Tyrantrums err... Tyranitars!
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9anythinggoes-703576

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
TIEBREAKER

:Tyranitar: The Terrible Tyrants (drampa's grandpa and kenn) - [0][0] - Soul-Stealing Seven-Star Solgaleos (Fc and Guard) :Solgaleo:
SV Anything Goes - Lasen vs Guard
SV Balanced Hackmons - quojova vs Icemaster
SV STABmons - Fissure vs Fc

Deadline:
10:00 PM (GMT -4) on July 23rd, 2023

SV Anything Goes: Lasen vs Guard
SV Balanced Hackmons: quojova vs Icemaster
SV STABmons: Fissure vs Fc

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
TIEBREAKER

:Tyranitar: The Terrible Tyrants (drampa's grandpa and kenn) - [0][0] - Soul-Stealing Seven-Star Solgaleos (Fc and Guard) :Solgaleo:
SV Anything Goes - Lasen vs Guard
SV Balanced Hackmons - quojova vs Icemaster
SV STABmons - Fissure vs Fc

Deadline:
10:00 PM (GMT -4) on July 23rd, 2023

SV Anything Goes: Lasen vs Guard
SV Balanced Hackmons: quojova vs Icemaster
SV STABmons: Fissure vs Fc
I realized I trolled a bit sheet-wise so this won't get any updates; watch the OP for that instead

ponchlake

cult of personality cult leader
Predictions:

SV Anything Goes: Lasen vs Guard - I feel like this could go either way, but Lasen has been on a roll. I'm going to bold Lasen though because they ratio'd me in their last post, and they have a tendency to keep receipts... even if the receipts involved a player and team from a completely different PL :worrywhirl:
SV Balanced Hackmons: quojova vs Icemaster - The SSSSS have tactically benched PDT, who has BH experience, for Icemaster, who probably doesn't have any. Quojova is the better BH player here, but my cheese senses are tingling and my bullshit detectors are going through the roof. I can already smell the Fillet Away sweep coming from a mileaway. I'm expecting an Icemaster disaster class 6-0 sweep.
SV STABmons: Fissure vs Fc - Surely Fc wins the third time around, right? However, I think Fissure still wins this though because the Tyrants discord server is funded by secretly Gustavo Fring and also doubles as the methlab from Breaking Bad, because they have some absolute crackheads in there who can cook. P.S: Career Ended you a bitch (for no particular reason. I am just operating on intrusive thoughts here. you my guy though <3 )

Ren

fuck it if i cant have him
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
25% success rate in semis I've been putting my faith in the wrong people so I am goblin mode now

The Terrible Tyrants (drampa's grandpa and kenn) - [3][0] - Soul-Stealing Seven-Star Solgaleos (Fc and Guard)
SV Anything Goes - Lasen vs Guard - guard let me down
SV Balanced Hackmons - quojova vs Icemaster - icemaster made career let me down but quojova (had to try typing this 10 times) made pdt let me down and he plays bh
SV STABmons - Fissure vs Fc - fc let me down

Osake

Hasta Siempre
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
:Tyranitar: The Terrible Tyrants (drampa's grandpa and kenn) - [2][1] - Soul-Stealing Seven-Star Solgaleos (Fc and Guard) :Solgaleo:

Tyrants won those 3 slots last week can't we just say they already won and play the finals rn :psytear:

SV Anything Goes - Lasen vs Guard - We definitely need to put some respect on Lasen now as he's positive and managed to beat three of the best AG players of the tour, and beat the AG slot of the SSSSS twice which is, I must say, pretty impressive. This pairing is def more close than I would've thought at the beginning of the tour or even a few weeks ago as Lasen proved that he was also a good Pokemon player, he won the first round, and his managers trust him enough to slot him in the Tiebreak. However, Guard confidently chose AG as the TB tier and "only" lost last week on a speedtie (assumably ?) and remains the more experienced AG player here. I wouldn't be surprised if Lasen humiliates the SSSSS by winning 3 times against their "best" slot, but I will keep my faith in Guard in a TB setup.

SV Balanced Hackmons - quojova vs Icemaster - I'm not surprised to not see pdt here as he once again has a rough season but I'd more expect BJ here I guess ? as he played BH a bit in 8G (notably beating Sevag in the Championship iirc) and wouldn't have to completely discover the tier, but maybe Icemaster is a secret BH fan (you can't be perfect after all) and owns 10 alts in the top 15 of the BH ladder, who knows ? Until this is proven though I'll believe in quojova who has strong builds and good plays, and already won his Tiebreak semis last year. Everything seems to favor quojova and I'll bold the favorite, but maybe Icemaster will pull-up a masterclass

SV STABmons - Fissure vs Fc - imo the series will be decided by this game (play it rfn and don't bother to play the other games so we can play the finals early y/y ?) which was 'choked' by Fc in the regular week (I'm too bad at STABs to know if there was an actual choke but as a manager Fc was prob expected to clutch the qualification for his team and failed to do that, so did Guard though) against a super cool and awesome Sableye (I'm not disrespecting it anymore :3). This situation is like Lasen's one with Fc being, on paper, better than Fissure imo but Fissure managed to win both times and faced Fc once again to assert his dominance. Fissure also won all his games in the post-home meta and might be the best STAB player currently, while Fc only loss in the post-home meta were to Fissure. Therefore I'm bolding Fissure which in my mind is a bit of an upset as without prior informations I would've bold Fc but looking at the dynamics seems the most reasonable choice, esp since Fissure seems to be Fc's nemesis.

Quite excited to see this TieBreak and I expect some high quality games (I just hope Icemaster doesn't disappoint us in BH but I'm sure he won't :3), good luck to the remaining teams but don't tryhard too much, you'll lose in finals anyway :heart:

BoingK

back to the lab again
is a Pre-Contributor
Predicts for tiebreaks

SV Anything Goes: Lasen vs Guard There's no way Guard loses thrice in a season to the same player. Waiting for Lasen to prove me wrong :P
SV Balanced Hackmons: quojova vs Icemaster Has Icemaster ever touched BH? Even outside of that the Solgs haven't really been firing on full canisters in the BH department, although pdt notably has a win over quojova. I have a feeling this game is gonna be decided on Team Preview, and whether Icemaster has the tools to overwhelm quojova.
SV STABmons: Fissure vs Fc The tiebreak will probably come down to this. Do I have the foggiest idea who's gonna win? Nope. Bolding Fissure as Fissure has 2 wins over Fc this season, but it could go either way on the day.

ponchlake

cult of personality cult leader
Sellbacks allowed

After thorough discusson with TD staff and OM staff, we will be granting both teams a 24 hour window to sellback players and adjust their line-ups accordingly for the tiebreak. However, due to this results of this round having implications for the finals, we will naturally be raising the stakes of things. To participate in the sellback, teams must sacrifice the souls of three individual members on their teams to Satan. In return, we will let them to pick any one OM player, dead or alive (banned or unbanned), to participate in the tiebreaker, even if they are on the other team. Both teams must also resubmit their lineups during that 24 hour window as well if any changes are to be made. We strongly advise you all to be prompt with your lineup changes as we cannot refund you any of your teammate's souls should you attempt the ritual but are unable to make any decisions or submit your lineups in time. As to avoid damning your teammates to eternal damnation for nothing, please make your decisions in a timely manner. The deadline for submitting lineups will be at Wednesday at 10:00 PM GMT -4. I am posting this here because they forgot to give me permissions to post in the https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ompl-xi-information-and-administrative-decisions.3720550/ page. This is however an official decision made by TD and OM staff nonetheless.

drampa's grandpa kenn Fc Guard please have your picks to us by Wednesday 10:00 PM GMT-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)