Project OM Theorymon: On Hiatus (See Post #131)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
PH is one of my favorite OMs, glad to see it getting some rep.

Submission Start
:ss/regieleki:
Regieleki @ Choice Scarf / Leppa Berry
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Whirlwind
- Copycat

With all the NGas spam going around, it's nice to have an ability that is not impacted by it. Enter Comatose Regieleki, a devastating win condition that can only be stopped by priority, Boots, and Magic Bounce, all three of which can be easily beaten by teammates. Priority is uncommon, Boots can be baited and KOffed or CGassed away, while MB mons are susceptible to Shadow Tag (coughstagisbrokencough) or other forms of trapping. Moveset is very simple: Sleep Talk + Comatose means Regieleki will use a random move first, while the other moves look to give Regi a 100% chance of phazing. Copycat means the last non-Sleep Talk move used will be used, meaning either Roar or Whirlwind will away be used. Scarf is probably the better option so you don't risk speed ties with other Regielekis, but Leppa Berry has its use in longer games when opposing Regielekis have been disposed of. It absolutely mandates hazards support, so with Eternamax gone, some other options like Suicide Lead Regieleki or WGs are more freed up to set hazards.

Submission End

Would also like to point out that, with NGas as the go-to ability for most mons, the best anti-meta mons are clearly those who can beat NGas mons. Eternamax may be illegal, but its dominance was not tied to one specific thing, but rather several, such as NGas, stats, and typing. I see very little difference in a PH where Eternamax is banned...beyond, of course, relying on funny OHKO moves with 30% chance of hitting to make progress.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Thanks to everyone that submitted a set or posted for discussion! That being said, it is...time to vote! Here are all of the qualifying submissions:

:Zacian-crowned: by OM
:Calyrex-Shadow: by The Dragon Master
:Regigigas: by Akumeoy
:Regieleki: by Lectrys
:Rotom-Heat: by Palapapop
:Groudon: by In The Hills
:Cramorant-Gorging: by mbouchon
:Regieleki: by Heracross2.0

Voting will end on 3/19. Anyone is free to vote for your top three sets whether you posted or not! If you did post, you aren't allowed to vote for yourself. Here's mine as an example:

1. lectrys
2. OM
3. mbouchon

Isaiah

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
It's been a while, hasn't it?

The top three for the most recent round are:
1st. Lectrys
2nd. OM
3rd. mbouchon

Congratulations to the winners and thanks again to everyone that submitted!

Continuing unabated to...

:ss/Regigigas: OM Theorymon #5: Tier Shift with ZU/NFE/LC Boosts:ss/Archeops:

As this implies, the OM Theorymon topic this this time around will be based primarily on and around Tier Shift. To quote the OP: " Pokemon get a +10 boost to each stat excluding HP per tier below OU they are in. UU gets +10, RU +20, NU +30, and PU +40."

Twist: What if there wasn't an upper limit to stat boosts? In context, this would mean: ZU Pokemon would get a +50 boost to each stat, NFE/LC Ubers Pokemon would get a +60 boost to each stat (we assume NFE is between ZU and LC), and LC (Little Cup) Pokemon would get a +70 boost to each stat.

How would these changes affect the meta? In what ways would the viability of different Pokemon/sets change? Is there anything that would become ban/unban worthy? You have until 4/11 to post your thoughts in this thread. Happy theorymonning!

Last edited:
I'll go first I guess.
Submission Start
:ss/Thwackey:
Thwackey @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch / Grassy Glide

Pretty obvious what it does. With a usable speed tier, Grassy Glide is less of a necessity. It has decent bulk, and access to recovery through Drain Punch, which combined with Grassy Surge gives it some longevity.
Stats
70/85/70/55/60/80 -> 70/145/130/115/120/140
252 Atk Choice Band Thwackey Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex in Grassy Terrain: 220-261 (72.3 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Thwackey U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangela: 120-142 (35.9 - 42.5%)
252 Atk Choice Band Thwackey Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 168-198 (46.1 - 54.3%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Thwackey Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Wailord in Grassy Terrain: 402-474 (83.5 - 98.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
IDK what else would be used, I'm not very familiar with TS in general, but the point is this hits sufficiently hard.

Submission End
Other things I considered talking about were:
Pikachu now has 230 attack with light ball. Probably banned.
Bunnelby now has 212 attack with Huge Power, and a itemslot remaining. Probably banned.
Abra is crazy strong with 175 spa, and can run life orb or something without worrying about recoil.

Continuing the trend of gen 8 starters.
Submission Start
:ss/raboot:
Raboot @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Libero
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick/Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot/Sucker Punch

Stats
65/86/60/55/60/94 -> 65/146/120/115/120/154

Raboot is both fast and strong, and libero with good coverage makes it a potent physical attacker and fast pivot. This is a simple all-out attacking set meant to get in, hit something, and get out. Flare blitz, high jump kick, and gunk shot covers all but a small list of pokemon neutrally. Unfortunately raboot, unlike its evolution, doesn't get access to zen headbutt, so it can't do much about the poison/fire, poison/water, and poison/dragon types, but sucker punch allows it to cover ghosts as well as giving strong priority.
Submission End

Will probably look into this more to see if there are any other cool ideas I can come up with.

Edit: Sorry to the person above me, I had started typing this like 5 minutes ago

The Dragon Master

So you have chosen, Death
is a Pre-Contributor
Submission start

:Ss/kadabra:
Kadabra @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Encore

40/35/30/120/70/105 --> 40/95/90/180/130/165

So now that 2 physical attackers have been covered, its time for a special attacker. 180 spa speaks for itself, and boosted by a Life Orb, it can easily clean up weakened teams. 165 speed is also blazing fast, and seeing as kadabra is the fastest thing in NFE, its pretty safe to assume it'll be one of the fastest, if not the fastest mon here. Magic guard also lets it absorb burn and poison, and it can also pull some encore shenanigans after coming in on those moves forcing swaps. Its main issues are its average bulk and coverage, which is why I think it'll be more a cleaner and a revenge killer.

Submission end

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
reserving munchlax
Submission Start
:ss/munchlax:
135/155/110/110/155/75
BST: 740
Munchlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Curse / Sleep Talk
- Body Slam
- Earthquake

CHONKY BOI
Was that an attack? I didn't notice it bouncing off of Munchlax's titanic bulk, sorry. I guess I'll just have to Body Slam you back with its sky-high Attack and Curse until you curse your existence.

For comparison Giratina gets 150/120/120 bulk.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Drampa Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Giratina: 213-252 (42.3 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Drampa Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Munchlax: 169-201 (35.6 - 42.4%) -- 91.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

and ofc Tina is a little bulkier physically.
Submission End
This reminds me a lot of Extreme Tier Shift tbh. In fact I don't see why most Ubers should be banned here, I doubt they would be broken given the stats other things get.

Last edited:

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Submission Start
:ss/silvally-ghost:
Silvally-Ghost @ Ghost Memory
Ability: RKS System
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- X-Scissor
- Flame Charge

Stats: 95/145/145/145/145/145
Silvally-Ghost looks absolutely terrifying as a Swords Dance sweeper in this version of Tier Shift. 120 BP Multi Attack off of 145 Attack is insane after an SD boost, and X-Scissor is able to cover Dark-type switchins. Flame Charge boosts Silvally's Speed stat which lets it sweep against faster teams if needed. 95/145/145 bulk is also nothing to laugh at, and lets Silvally set up more easily. Overall I think Silvally-Ghost would be a really scary sweeper in this tier
Submission End

Submission Start

:ss/vullaby:
Vullaby @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse / Heat Wave / Taunt
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost / Taunt

Stats: 70/125/145/115/135/130
(Alternate Spread: 252 HP / 72 Def / 128 SpA / 56 Spe Bold)
Vullaby's gargantuan base stat bonus from being in LC allows it to compete with the best of the best in Tier Shift with a Nasty Plot + Weak Armor set, which after a single activation of Weak Armor effectively makes Vullaby the single fastest thing on the field. Dark Pulse and Air Slash are simply good STABs to have, although Dark Pulse can be exchanged for Heat Wave if some Steels are causing Vullaby trouble. Roost allows Vullaby to stay healthy throughout the game and can potentially cause an extreme snowball effect if the opponent is lacking ways to inflict Vullaby with status effects. Taunt, on the other hand, allows Vullaby to deal with Unaware and other setup sweepers like Clefairy that might stop it in its tracks. If desired, a more bulky spread with Air Slash / Taunt / Nasty Plot / Roost can be used, which comes at the cost of Vullaby being a good response to certain Psychic types, and gives Vullaby issues with coverage against certain Pokemon.

Submission End

Last edited:
Submission start: Bunnelby

th (2).jpg

(if it's not quickbanned)

New stats: 38/106/108/102/106/127

Thanks to 106 Attack and Huge Power, Bunnelby becomes the strongest Attacker in the entire metagame. To Compare, Marill only reaches 80 attack with the tier shift boost. Sure lacking STAB on Earthquake can be problematic at times, but the raw power of this beast sometimes makes Earthquake even without STAB hitting like a truck.

A few sets:

1) Choice Band
Bunnelby @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- U-turn

With both Huge Power and Choice Band, Bunnelby's attack stat reaches a whooping 1026. Facade is Bunnelby's most reliable STAB move as it lacks Body Slam its evolution has, and can be raised to 140 if it is hit by a status move. Here some calcs:

If Bunnelby is statused:
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Bunnelby Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 247-292 (62.6 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

A Statused bunnelby is able to 2HKO Physically defensive Avalugg with Facade with relative ease. If a steel comes in though:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Bunnelby Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferroseed: 166-196 (56.8 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Boosted Facade is also able to 2HKO Ferroseed.

U turn is more momentum and Quick Attack gives it strong priority.

2) Choice Scarf

Bunnelby @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Facade
- Spikes

This set trades power for the ability to revenge kill more threats. Even without Choice Band, Bunnelby still hits very hard. On this set, Spikes are an option for more utility but also to chip further into Bunnelby defensive answers to put them in range.

3) Swords Dance

Bunnelby @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

You need to get rid of Haunter before setting up as this set is completely walled by it. After a Swords dance, Bunnelby's attack stat is 1368, easily destroying any wall that isn't immune to Facade, especially when statused. Quick Attack also becomes a devastating tool after a Swords dance boost, easily cleaning up offensive teams. Earthquake is there so that Rock and Steel types don't totally stop you.

4) Endure+ Flail

Bunnelby @ Salac Berry
Jolly Nature
- Endure
- Flail
- Swords Dance / Earthquake
- Thief / Swords Dance / Earthquake / Payback

This set is a double edged sword, but if pulled correctly, it can deal devastating damage. Endure+Flail let Bunnelby survive a hit that would normally OHKO it, activate Salac berry, and then maximising Flail's Base Power to a whooping 200. Swords Dance let bunnelby furthermore boost its Attack stat if need be, Earthquake gives it coverage on Rock and Steel types whereas Thief let it beat Haunter, as after Salac Berry, Bunnelby outspeeds non Choice Scarf variants. Thief also let Bunnelby steal items after its berry was consumed, if you manage to steal something useful ofcourse. Be careful with Thief tho, as if Haunter holds a Life Orb, it will Knock out bunnelby after the attack if you are too low on health. If that's a problem, Payback trades a little power for the ability to deal with Haunter without stealing Life Orb and knocking you out in the process.

5)
Bunnelby @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- U-turn
- Quick Attack
- Endeavor

This is more of a funny set that a real useful one. Bunnelby has access to Spikes+Endeavor+Quick Attack, which could make it a decent lead. U turn is there if Bunnelby needs to be preserved for later, and Quick Attack still packs punch thanks to Huge Power. Not a wallbreaker for sure, but it could make a good lead thanks to its good speed and access to Spikes+Endeavor, which is pretty rare.

Submission End

Submission Start
:ss/pikachu:
Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Fake Out
- Volt Switch
- Knock Off

Stats: 35/115/100/110/110/150

With a Light Ball and it's new attack base stat, Pikachu now has an attack stat almost the same as Zacian-Crowned (722 vs 723). This in conjunction with Fake Out and Extreme Speed, makes Pikachu now a very potent revenge killer. Volt Switch deals a decent amount of damage to physical walls that switch in whilst letting you swap Pikachu out, and Knock Off is just a good utility move to have.

If Light Ball was to be banned, Pikachu could maybe run a NP/TBolt/Surf/Knock Off set, but would probably be outclassed by other NP users.

Submission End

Last edited:
Submission Start!

:ss/accelgor:
Accelgor @ Throat Spray / Choice Specs
Ability: Unburden / Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball / Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Accelgor now has the second highest speed stat in the game, only being beat by a mere five points from Regieleki, turning it into a very reliable revenge killer. Accelgor also gains a hefty increase in its SpAtk stat, jumping to an average 100 to a monstrous 150. Throat Spray sets look pretty damn good, as its already great SpAtk jumps to 657, allowing it to easily break through mons not named Munchlax or Cursola. Specs is an option to instantly get the sweet, sweet boost without a prior turn, but Throat Spray has the advantage of being able to switch moves, so I can see that as the more popular option. Oh, and Accelgor still performs as a suicide lead just as fine, but then you’d be missing out on Accel’s wallbreaking potential.

Submission End!

Last edited:

Don Vascus

Certified Wednesday Poster
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Submission START!

Gurdurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch/Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up/Facade
- Mach Punch

New stats: 85/165/145/100/110/100

This absolute menace is THE strongest fighting type in the game with Guts, which will be important given that the abomination that is munchlax exists. Mach Punch can take care of faster mons and if that isnt enough, it is more than able to take a hit with its 85/145/110 bulk and ohko back, and if you choose drain punch as the fighting stab you can heal part of the damage. I can also see viability for a bulky set using defog and whatnot, but I'd rather talk about straight power.

submission END!

Last edited:
Submission Start

Duosion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Acid Armor
- Stored Power
65/100/110/185/120/90

What this does it do? Pretty simple. Bulky Calm Mind user. It's literally just a better Reuniclus in this state. Decided to go double dance since it can't get Focus Blast. Although, if you want a more offensive set:

Duosion @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Explosion

Meant to replicate the Trick Room set. The 90 speed hurts it a bit, but it still does well. A newly gained 100 attack stat lets it use Explosion if it wants to make some risky predicts.

Submission Terminated. I'm sorry to interrupt you, Elizabeth, if you even remember that name.

gen 5 be

Submission Start

:Swoobat: [67/107/105/127/105/164] (i counted this like 3 times so i hope it's right)

Swoobat @ Salac Berry / Grassy Seed
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Stored Power
- Air Slash
- Substitute / Heat Wave / Energy Ball

A pretty simple SubSalac set for a mon that received a huge buff this generation with Nasty Plot being added to its learnset. It absolutely wrecks anything that thinks it could live a hit. If you're running Thwackey, it might be more effective to carry Grassy Seed, and in that case, Substitute isn't necessary.

+4 252 SpA Swoobat Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Munchlax: 457-538 (96.6 - 113.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
You need the Salac Berry/Grassy Seed boost to KO, and Munchlax can't KO back, even after a Curse.
+1 0 Atk Munchlax Body Slam vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swoobat: 193-228 (70.1 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock)

+4 252 SpA Swoobat Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 517-610 (72.4 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Blissey's a staple SpDef wall, but it can't switch into Swoobat safely. Blissey doesn't get any boosts due to being an OU mon, but it's the only mon I could find that's able to live a Stored Power.

+4 252 SpA Swoobat Air Slash vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Yveltal: 262-310 (57.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Can't click Stored Power versus Dark-types, but if you're behind Substitute, you win.
0 Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Knock Off vs. +2 0 HP / 0 Def Swoobat: 114-134 (41.4 - 48.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
If you're running Grassy Seed, you also win.

EDIT: I FORGOT ABOUT UNAWARE
+4 252 SpA Swoobat Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Unaware Pyukumuku: 135-159 (43.1 - 50.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+4 252 SpA Swoobat Energy Ball vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Unaware Pyukumuku: 116-138 (37 - 44%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
There is nothing you can really do about Pyukumuku. Just switch to Thwackey.
252 Atk Choice Band Thwackey Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku in Grassy Terrain: 390-458 (124.6 - 146.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

dont take this seriously (Swoobat) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe (EV spread could be optimized I guess)
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Thunder Wave / Taunt / U-turn
- Air Slash
- Taunt / Thunder Wave / U-turn / Tailwind / honestly whatever you want

Unaware ignores stat changes for calculating damage, which gives Swoobat a very, very, VERY, small niche as a fast support mon with somewhat decent defenses. It can also bait walls that think it's a Simple NP variant, crippling them with Thunder Wave or Taunt.

Did you really think I was going to calc Unaware Swoobat? Sorry, but no.

Submission End

gen 5 b

Last edited:

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Submission Start
:ss/weezing:
Weezing @ Leftovers
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Serious Nature
- Pain Split / Rest
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic Spikes / Toxic
- Sludge Bomb / Sludge Wave
- Haze / Taunt

65 / 130 / 160 / 125 / 110 / 100

By far the most defining trait of Weezing is Neutralizing Gas: suppressing abilities is extremely practical given how many Pokemon are looking to rely on their strong abilities to function. Notably, this completely stuffs Flame Orb Gurdurr, as without Guts it simply halves its own Attack stat. Bunnelby and Marill are also victims, losing their free Huge Power boost, and you match up well against Raboot (especially if it lost Fire STAB after Libero) and Thwackey. Seems like a super solid blanket check to various Physical threats.

Additionally, with smart plays and proper prediction Weezing can be a huge nuisance to Pokemon that rely on Magic Guard and Regenerator, as they become much more vulnerable to passive damage when its on the field.

Biggest problem is lack of reliable recovery: Pain Split can work but it's not consistent, and Rest leaves you vulnerable unless you slot in Sleep Talk (even then, now you're dealing with RNG), so you likely need to give it some support. Thwakey actually makes a good partner as a result, providing another layer of passive healing and nerfing the power of EQs coming its way.

It's got a good movepool otherwise. Wisp lets it excel at dealing with most Physical threats, though if you've relegated burns to a different Pokemon than you might be tempted to use TSpikes or just Toxic. Sludge Bomb is a nice spammable STAB Attack that pairs nice with Weezing's 125 SpA and can fish for Poisons, though Sludge Wave works as well if you want to avoid Poisons so you can Toxic/Wisp instead. Haze is great for removing boosts from something like Curse Munchlax or breakers/sweepers, while Taunt is another option to shut down various strategies or deny recovery. That's not even mentioning its access to Fire and Electric coverage, Clear Smog, and Corrosive Gas. 4MSS is definitely a big roadblock, but customizability is certainly there should you want it.
Submission End

here's some misc. garbage that i thought about but didn't, feel free to use them
:koffing: this was my original sub until i remembered eviolite is rightfully banned. it has slightly better stats except for low HP, which gives weezing an edge in the end.
:mareanie: pex 2
:slowpoke: fat slowbro that still has access to teleport, future sight, scald, slack off, twave, toxic, all the fun shit
:omastar: honestly terrifying rain sweeper, shell smash makes it hit quite hard and its rain-boosted attacks are nothing to scoff at. power herb meteor is a gimmick though it could be nice for getting damage and a boost if you don't need +2 to clean up.
:hippopotas: hippo but dumb as hell

Submission Start
:ss/weezing:
Weezing @ Leftovers
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Serious Nature
- Pain Split / Rest
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic Spikes / Toxic
- Sludge Bomb / Sludge Wave
- Haze / Taunt

65 / 130 / 160 / 125 / 110 / 100

By far the most defining trait of Weezing is Neutralizing Gas: suppressing abilities is extremely practical given how many Pokemon are looking to rely on their strong abilities to function. Notably, this completely stuffs Flame Orb Gurdurr, as without Guts it simply halves its own Attack stat. Bunnelby and Marill are also victims, losing their free Huge Power boost, and you match up well against Raboot (especially if it lost Fire STAB after Libero) and Thwackey. Seems like a super solid blanket check to various Physical threats.

Additionally, with smart plays and proper prediction Weezing can be a huge nuisance to Pokemon that rely on Magic Guard and Regenerator, as they become much more vulnerable to passive damage when its on the field.

Biggest problem is lack of reliable recovery: Pain Split can work but it's not consistent, and Rest leaves you vulnerable unless you slot in Sleep Talk (even then, now you're dealing with RNG), so you likely need to give it some support. Thwakey actually makes a good partner as a result, providing another layer of passive healing and nerfing the power of EQs coming its way.

It's got a good movepool otherwise. Wisp lets it excel at dealing with most Physical threats, though if you've relegated burns to a different Pokemon than you might be tempted to use TSpikes or just Toxic. Sludge Bomb is a nice spammable STAB Attack that pairs nice with Weezing's 125 SpA and can fish for Poisons, though Sludge Wave works as well if you want to avoid Poisons so you can Toxic/Wisp instead. Haze is great for removing boosts from something like Curse Munchlax or breakers/sweepers, while Taunt is another option to shut down various strategies or deny recovery. That's not even mentioning its access to Fire and Electric coverage, Clear Smog, and Corrosive Gas. 4MSS is definitely a big roadblock, but customizability is certainly there should you want it.
Submission End

here's some misc. garbage that i thought about but didn't, feel free to use them
:koffing: this was my original sub 252+ Atk Choice Band Bunnelby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 160-190 (47.9 - 56.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery i remembered eviolite is rightfully banned. it has slightly better stats except for low HP, which gives weezing an edge in the end.
:mareanie: pex 2
:slowpoke: fat slowbro that still has access to teleport, future sight, scald, slack off, twave, toxic, all the fun shit
:omastar: honestly terrifying rain sweeper, shell smash makes it hit quite hard and its rain-boosted attacks are nothing to scoff at. power herb meteor is a gimmick though it could be nice for getting damage and a boost if you don't need +2 to clean up.
:hippopotas: hippo but dumb as hell
I'm afraid to say that, but Weezing doesn't stop Swords Dance variants of Bunnelby with Facade. If you status it, even without huge power, Facade has 18.8% chance of outright OHKoing, and if Bunnelby swords dances on the Weezing switch in, even without Huge Power, Earthquake has 68% chance of OHKOing it outright after Stealth Rock. I'm calling that a very shaky check.

Here are the calcs to prove it:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bunnelby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 278-328 (83.2 - 98.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bunnelby Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 290-343 (86.8 - 102.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Weezing doesn't even come on Banded Quake after rocks:

252+ Atk Choice Band Bunnelby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 160-190 (47.9 - 56.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Yes a shaky check at best. And don't try to burn it, cause if you do, you don't survive two choice banded facades after rocks:

252+ Atk Choice Band Bunnelby Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 169-199 (50.5 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

So in the end, to check it more reliably, you need Grassy Terrain consistently up and avoid trying to burn it so it doesn't power up its Facade. Oh and avoid spreading Toxic too, and avoid setting up Toxic Spikes as well. Calling that a check.

Worse, Bunnelby can take advantage of possible TSpîkes you might wanna setup to power up its own Facade. I really think this mon will be very busted and thus will be quickbanned. Sadly.

Last edited:

Isaiah

UM/OM Leader
F, realized this never got uploaded...

Thanks to everyone that submitted a set or posted for discussion! That being said, it is...time to vote! Here are all of the qualifying submissions:
Voting will end on 4/30. Anyone is free to vote for your top three sets whether you posted or not! If you did post, you aren't allowed to vote for yourself. Here's mine as an example:

:thwackey: by linux user
:raboot: by unownuser404
:kadabra: by The Dragon Master
:munchlax: by drampa's grandpa
:silvally-ghost: by in the hills
:vullaby: by Chazm
:bunnelby: by EchoGaia
:pikachu: by powergo1
:accelgor: by iceblazer
:gurdurr: by Don Vascus
:duosion: by Codename C.A.T
:swoobat: by Peababy
:Weezing: by shnowshner

1. EchoGaia
2. linux user
3. in the hills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)