Old Topics Of Smogon

Smogon Veterans calling all Smogon Veterans! What did Smogon Forums look like in 2009-2011 or 2005-2009? I wanna know! (and if you have images of forum from these dates I listed pls share them)

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
looked p much the same i think, all i know is that we def progressed in terms of simulator since we used shoddy battle back in the day and it looked like this:

1710173452617.png

oh and pokemon online was a huge step up to that

1710173509919.png

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I do remember many of those long standing threads. And posting in them. Cool throwback!!

Kind of crazy. In the old days you couldn't go to tenor.com to find your gif of choice. You had to save only the highest quality gifs for your meme purposes. And yeah warning: some of those gifs are really animated!!

How memes have advanced. I remember hearing about the first "gifs with sound" compilations on YouTube. And then came vine......

You know that back in those days you had to wait for the entire gif to load before you could watch it?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
God vBulletin feels like an eternity ago.

The Wayback Machine still holds some screenshots from the before times. Like this one with Arkeis's art featured at the top:

smog.PNG

The forums didn't change too much going into DP, notably the banner was taken down

smog 2.PNG

I might still have some stuff saved from when I was doing badge research back in like 2016 but I know a lot of Wayback stuff was taken down a few years ago. The forums looked significantly different between 2005 and 2007, as well as after the immediate change after the jump from vBulletin to Xenforo, (especially before user locks were put in place on avatar file size -.-)

Random screenshots I found on an old USB recently... some of these are from a little later (2012-2013)

View attachment 614283
View attachment 614286
View attachment 614284
View attachment 614285
Well--what groceries did Zarel buy? Can't leave us hanging like that lol

While I am a bit outside the time frame in the OP I figured I'd chime in. I made my forums account at the very end of BW (I think technically it was the day after X/Y released but obviously there wasn't a metagame yet)

If my memory serves me correctly, the format of the forums had already changed from P Squared/plujoshi's screenshots to the current format. I remember that the art was different on the cover, but honestly the main practical differences for me were the fall of Firebot and the rise of Discord over IRC. I was/am mostly a Circus mafia player, and because discord hadn't been released yet, IRC was the primary form of OC communication at that time.

That, and obviously that many users became inactive (like me). When I became active again this January (after a 6 year hiatus, mind you), it was interesting to see who is / isn't still around. It's good to see that so many old faces (especially among the Circus crowd) are still somewhat active.

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
God vBulletin feels like an eternity ago.

The Wayback Machine still holds some screenshots from the before times. Like this one with Arkeis's art featured at the top:

View attachment 614317

The forums didn't change too much going into DP, notably the banner was taken down

View attachment 614321

I might still have some stuff saved from when I was doing badge research back in like 2016 but I know a lot of Wayback stuff was taken down a few years ago. The forums looked significantly different between 2005 and 2007, as well as after the immediate change after the jump from vBulletin to Xenforo, (especially before user locks were put in place on avatar file size -.-)
Welcome to the ARG :3 undefined

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)