Official MLB 2012 Season Thread

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I find it quite intriguing that Pujol$ is batting almost as low as the Mendoza line without any home runs. Even his replacement at first base, a career minor leaguer, has one home run (Matt Carpenter). I was expecting Pujol$ to bust out of his slump after the first week, but it's already been a full month now, so no love lost there.

I have just closed my eyes again
Climbed aboard the Dream Weaver train
Driver take away my worries of today
And leave tomorrow behind​

Dream Weaver, I believe you can get me through the night
Dream Weaver, I believe we can reach the morning light​

Fly me high through the starry skies
Or maybe to an astral plane
Cross the highways of fantasy
Help me to forget today's pain​

Though the dawn may be coming soon
There still may be some time
Fly me away to the bright side of the moon
And meet me on the other side​

Still too early to call it a failure considering how baseball's tendency to normalise. We know the contract was an over pay, but he's still gonna provide value this year. He's just being too aggressive and expanding the strike zone, coupled with a bit of bad luck.

You know whats funny? If Pujols was batting this terribly with the Cardinals, the fans would still cheer him. Cardinals fans cheer anybody on their team.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
most fans cheer anybody on their team.
ftfy. there are very few fanbases that dont cheer on their own team (boston fans are guilty) kind of like how jarrod saltalamacchia got booed this afternoon for like four wild pitches that were his fault (one directly resulting in the injury of aaron cook), and an absolutely terrible effort on a foul popup when punto had a read on it from third.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
i can't wait for news to break that Pujols is closer to 40 years old than 30.

Expert Evan

The Angels won last night while Mr.$ sat on the bench, oh and Mike Trout got his first home run, kudos. If Mr.$ were any ordinary player, he'd be released or sent back down to the minors by now. Now hopefully the Cardinals will snap out of a 3-game losing streak today. Go Cards!

Does anyone think the Orioles have playoff chances this year?
Hmmmmm.......

Anyone think the Orioles are any good? I've seen a ton of articles pop up on ESPN about them and it's really starting to freak me out.

I've watched most of their games and it seems to me like they're getting...some good luck. But then again for the past few years (like fourteen lol) I've always had an impending sense of doom.
Not really a big supporter for the O's desoite their early success. They have some hope for the future with their crazy wicked draftpick Dylan Bundy, but I don't think they have all it takes to pursue through this hot streak in th AL East.

I'd say they are this years version of the Pirates last year. They might hang in, but will fall out of favor easy.
Orioles will be gone before wayyyy before the Pirates were last year, no worries.
They will hang in longer than the Blue Jays though.
This being said, Mr. "$" went yard for HR #1 and the Boston Pawsox lost in 17 innings. Winning pitcher was 1B Chris Davis who went 0-7 with about 5 K's at the plate and 2 shoutout bullpen innings. Losing pitcher was Darnell McDonald who subed in for David Ortiz in the 8th inning.

I'm back to being a Cubs fan but I guess that is obvious...

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
The Angels won last night while Mr.$ sat on the bench, oh and Mike Trout got his first home run, kudos. If Mr.$ were any ordinary player, he'd be released or sent back down to the minors by now. Now hopefully the Cardinals will snap out of a 3-game losing streak today. Go Cards!
i forget...how old and vindictive are you that you feel you must root against a player who gave your team 10 HoF caliber seasons, 4 MVPs, and 2 WS titles?

Pujols gave the Cardinals absolutely everything they asked for (while being paid a fraction of his true market value) and then felt like he deserved to be paid big dollars (and the Cardinals were very smart to not to pony up those dollars, irrespective of his current performance). loyalty cuts both ways; don't act like you wouldn't do the same if you were him.

as for the Orioles, they are playing Mark Reynolds every day and their best pitcher is Jason Hammel. enjoy it while it lasts because it won't, though they could finish at or around .500. that would be a good start for them, considering they have the (now) 2 best prospects in all of baseball.

But like seriously ButteredToast if you think the Orioles are better current talent wise than the Jays you're crazy, fan bias aside.

kay, so it is a troll, wew, had me worried.

Robert Andino is replacing Kevin Youkilis and Pablo Sandoval on my fantasy squad. I also believe he has a better OBP than Joey Bats.

'Nuff Said McGreevy would end it at that.

Expert Evan

i forget...how old and vindictive are you that you feel you must root against a player who gave your team 10 HoF caliber seasons, 4 MVPs, and 2 WS titles?

Pujols gave the Cardinals absolutely everything they asked for (while being paid a fraction of his true market value) and then felt like he deserved to be paid big dollars (and the Cardinals were very smart to not to pony up those dollars, irrespective of his current performance). loyalty cuts both ways; don't act like you wouldn't do the same if you were him.
While the one home run yesterday will lessen the burden of his struggle, at least he has the morale support of his former teammates, and he's not does something so downright foolish as to throw firecracker at his fans yet. From a Cardinals fan perspective, AP put them through so much drama last year, so they resent him for that.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Which team has the best record in baseball today??
That series was pretty painful to watch in every sense of the word, but I think we all understand the O's are this year's Indians/Pirates, in that they're showing flashes of potential but they still need to wait for their top prospects to pan out like the Nationals did. Dan Duquette got blamed for a lot of the Sox's bs in the late 90s early 2000s, but most of the 2004 Championship team were people he drafted/signed. Theo only did the Nomar trade and the Schilling trade (though the latter was huge). The O's are going to get very good very fast if they stay away from the big free agents.

Speaking of very good very fast: Bryce Harper is legit. The Nationals are going to at least get a Wild Card, if not win the NL East if they can stay healthy.

Can someone still explain to me what all this optimism with the Orioles is about? They are far too top heavy prospect wise (system essentially dies after top 2) and don't have enough current talent to build with.. They're going to need to hit a bullseye with the draft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)