ORAS OU Offensive Ferrothorn and SubPunching Conkeldurr

Introduction

Before I made this team, I didn't really play much in OU. But then I built this team, and I actually really started to enjoy it. So, now I play a lot of OU.

The Team

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Mach Punch
-Knock Off
-Substitute
-Focus Punch

Conkeldurr was actually the Pokémon that I built this team around. I really wanted to make a team based around this set because it can deal massive amounts of damage.
Conkeldurr serves as a wallbreaker on my team, since Substitute lets it avoid status moves like Leech Seed, Toxic, and Will-o-Wisp, and Focus Punch can deal massive damage to most Pokémon.
Mach Punch has priority, and is still pretty powerful, which is a good combination. It also lets me OHKO super-effective Pokémon like Bisharp and Tyranitar without my Substitute being broken. Another use of Mach Punch is that it can finish off a Volcarona that has a Focus Sash, because Volcarona is a major threat to my team. Knock Off allows me to take out Ghost types, which Conkeldurr otherwise wouldn't be able to touch. It also helps me further cripple some walls by removing Eviolite, Leftovers, or Black Sludge. Substitute's main purpose is to allow me to use Focus Punch freely, but it also helps if my opponent switches out to send in a Pokémon that would be able to do lots of damage to me, like Latios or Alakazam. Focus Punch is probably Conkeldurr's best move, as it can OHKO most Pokémon in the tier and, when boosted by STAB and Iron Fist, does more damage than Explosion.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Calm Mind
-Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Dazzling Gleam

I put Alakazam on my team because I wanted an incredibly fast special sweeper, and Mega Alakazam is one of the two fastest Pokémon that are allowed in OU.
Alakazam is one the two special sweepers on my team and covers several threats that would otherwise destroy my team.
Calm Mind is a great move for Mega Alakazam. After one or two Calm Minds, it can pretty much sweep every Pokémon in OU, although Scizor and Talonflame can OHKO it with their priority moves. Psyshock is my main STAB move, and helps me deal with special walls like Chansey and Sylveon. Focus Blast, though it does miss sometimes, is a very powerful move, and helps me take down Pokémon like Heatran or Ferrothorn without having to switch out and lose any Calm Mind boosts that I have. I originally had Shadow Ball instead of Dazzling Gleam, but I replaced it when I noticed that Mega Sableye was an immense threat to my team.

Ferrothorn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball
-Knock Off
-Explosion

I put Ferrothorn on my team because I had had some success with a set similar to this in doubles, and I wanted to see if the set would work in singles.
Ferrothorn works as a tank on my team, and I use it to switch in on Pokémon that can deal heavy damage or on setup sweepers. It's almost like a slow revenge killer.
Gyro Ball and Power Whip are Ferrothorn's main STAB moves, and can knock out a lot of Pokémon, including threats to my team like Gardevoir. And even if they don't OHKO an opponent's Pokémon, they will still generally do lots of damage. Knock Off is a very solid move, and while not necessarily as powerful as Power Whip and Gyro Ball, it can still do heavy damage. Explosion can help me get out of tight situations. For example, if I'm fighting a Pokémon like Mega Venusaur, and I don't want to switch out, I can use Explosion and get it down to low enough health for one of my other Pokémon to knock it out on the next turn.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spa / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch
-Will-o-Wisp
-Rest

I spent a lot of time looking for a bulky special attacker to put on my team. First, I had a Skarmory that wasn't an attacker at all, but then I swapped that out for a paraflinch Togekiss, and then an offensive Heatran, and I finally decided on Rotom.
Rotom is a well-rounded Pokémon that I can use for a Volt Switch lead, a physical wall, or a special tank.
Hydro Pump is Rotom's main offensive move, and can do a lot of damage to most Pokémon. Volt Switch allows me to get out of tight situations easily and allows me to sometimes switch out without the Pokémon that I'm sending in taking any damage. Will-o-Wisp allows me to shut down almost all physical attackers, and also allows me to pressure my opponent into only sending out specially attacking Pokémon. Rest was originally Dark Pulse, but Hydro Pump does more damage than a super-effective Dark Pulse, so I decided to replace it.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Rock Slide
-Close Combat
-Earthquake
-X-Scissor

I added Terrakion to my team because I wanted a fast physical attacker.
Terrakion primarily serves as a revenge killer, but also makes a good Wallbreaker if Conkeldurr has been knocked out.
Rock Slide is my rock-type STAB move. I prefer it over Stone Edge because even though it doesn't do as much damage, it has better accuracy and can cause the target to flinch. Close Combat can OHKO lots of Pokémon, and I usually don't have to worry about the defense drop because Terrakion is so fast. Earthquake, with 100 base power, is a solid move that is super-effective on lots of Pokémon. I recently put X-Scissor in because I noticed that my team had trouble taking down Mew. X-Scissor is great because it has a 99.6% chance to KO Mew after Leftovers recovery.

Latios @ White Herb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Ice Beam

I put Latios on my team because I wanted a special sweeper with a hard-hitting STAB move.
Out of all the Pokémon on my team, Latios is probably the least important, but it can still serve as a revenge killer when needed.
Psyshock is my secondary STAB, and is a reliable move once I've used up my White Herb. Draco Meteor is an extremely powerful move, and the White Herb allows me to use it without having my special attack dropped. I added Shadow Ball recently because I needed a move that could hit other Psychic-types super-effectively. Ice Beam is good because it's super-effective on a lot of OU Pokémon, like Landorus, Garchomp, and Thundurus.

Conclusion

Overall, I feel like I've worked out most of the flaws in this team. It can counter almost every Pokémon that I've battled in OU, it can handle having entry hazards, and it can deal lots of damage to enemy teams.

Last edited:

styie

Formerly known as Freedom.
Do you mind editing the format and fixing it up so it's easier to read? I would love to give this team a rate. But it's hard to understand due to almost no spacing and pictures.

Do you mind editing the format and fixing it up so it's easier to read? I would love to give this team a rate. But it's hard to understand due to almost no spacing and pictures.
Does this work better for you, or is there something else I should change?

styie

Formerly known as Freedom.
Hey man, very interesting team, but as a team rater and experienced Battler, I'm going to give you some constructive criticism that will hopefully get you up and running in no time. :] let's get right into the rate, shall we?

okay, a few problems I noticed with your team include:

• No Stealth Rocks
  • No Defog/Spinner

now let's start Stealth Rock on any competitive team is a must. Not only does it wear down your opponents Pokemon on every switch-in, or even pressure them to Defog because Pokemon such as as Talonflame, Charizard-Y, Mega-Pinsir, etc are all 4x weak to stealth rock so teams like that are forced to run a defogger/spinner.

Now Defog/Rapid Spin is a must for your team, your team isn't really weak to it necessarily, but no one likes coming in and get chip damage.

Moving on to your Pokemon.

First we have Conkeldurr. Not only do we have the Aegislash Suspect going on, so obviously Ghost types are running around quite often such as Mega-Sableye and Gengar. I know SubPunch Conk is neat, creative and innovative but it gets completely shut down by ghost types and checked by Psychics. I personally have no say in telling you what to use, but if you were 100% still going to use SubPunch try this set:

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Focus Punch
- Substitute

The Reason I gave you these sets and EVs were simple. Previously you had no mean of touching Ghost Types so I added Knock Off which is a must, great coverage and nothing really likes getting knocked off. Next, I simply chose Drain Punch because I switched life orb from leftovers. Not only will you be doing a lot more damage, but Drain Punch gives you great coverage and a means of recovery. Then, I just left Your original moves.

Next Pokemon we have is, Ferrothorn. This Set is also creative but... Very passive in the current ORAS metagame. As mentioned before you lack a stealth rock user so I was thinking Who not better to use than Ferrothorn the hazard setting god.

Try this set over the current one as it helps a lot more:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

This set helps a lot more with threats and checks and counters a lot of threats in the current metagame.

The given EV spread with a Relaxed nature lets Ferrothorn fare well against both physically and specially oriented opponents. 168 Special Defense EVs give Ferrothorn enough special bulk to survive two Ice Beams from +3 Manaphy. A Sassy nature with the given EV spread allows Ferrothorn to survive the combination of Hyper Voice + Focus Blast from Modest Mega Gardevoir most of the time, while still avoiding the 2HKO from +1 Mega Gyarados's Earthquake most of the time; the downside is that this leaves Ferrothorn much more susceptible to Crunch from Mega Gyarados and physical attackers in general, so it isn't typically recommended. If there's a lot of stress on Ferrothorn to handle physical attackers such as Azumarill, Life Orb Excadrill, Mega Gyarados, and Diggersby, more Defense investment can be run to tank hit from these Pokemon more easily. An example of a more physically defensive spread is 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD avoids the 2HKO from Adamant Life Orb Excadrill after Stealth Rock damage.

Leftovers is the preferred item, as Ferrothorn heavily appreciates the added recovery. However, Shed Shell is a decent alternative over Leftovers if the ability to escape from Magnezone and Gothielle is more valuable to your team than the extra recovery Leftovers provides. Rocky Helmet is an alternate option over Leftovers or Shed Shell in order to weaken physical attackers that try to hit Ferrothorn with weaker attacks, such as U-turn, Knock Off, and not very effective moves that make contact.

Your rotom wash set needs to be switched otherwise you lose to Metagross-Mega and birdspam. Here, try this set:

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

The 44 Speed EVs let you out speed Jolly Azumarill which is crucial for the BD sets. They rest of the EVs are obvious. they let you eat up Brave Birds and Any move Metagross goes for.

Now onto your next mon that needs criticism, Latios.

Looking at your team I would make the switch from
Latias > Latios

With this set:

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish / Roost / TBolt

That's all I really have, other than that, nice team!

P.S. You should add a threat list to your team and explain what sets threaten you. I can come come back and help you fix the team up to better adapt to the metagame and threats. Anyways, good luck.

Hope I helped :]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)