[Offense Trick Room OU] The Rise of Space

Intro:
Hey again Smogon. Recently I got kinda bored playing around with my usual team, so I decided to give something new a try: Trick Room. Once I considered it to be a pretty lame gimmick, but after testing it for a few weeks now I’ve found it to be a pretty darn solid strategy. My team still has some issues though, so I’m looking for a little help to get them ironed out if you’d be so kind. :heart:

This is The Rise of Space
Team building:

I started out this team knowing that I wanted to make Escavalier the star of the show. This Gen 5 Pokemon was clearly designed with TR in mind. With only 20 Base Speed, he is faster than pretty much everything else under trick room, even other “trick room pokemon” like Reuniclus. He also has the best Megahorn in the entire game. Next I had to choose a decent Trick Roomer to support him:

Slowking is basically the perfect partner. Amazing type synergy, access to Trick Room and Regenerator, and decent Sp. Atk. to boot, Slowking can set up TR multiple times without even breaking a sweat. At this point I knew I wanted to make a powerful offense team, so I drew again from the Gen 5 barrel for another great sweeper:

Conkeldurr also has great type synergy with Slowking, and similar checks and counters as Escavalier. Using both together, I can draw them out of the opponent’s team and wear them down. Next, I wanted something that could fill a pseudo-lead position, set up TR and lay down some SR to help Esc and Durr do their job.

The final two spots are where I’ve had the most trouble. I know I want one more pokemon that takes advantage of Trick Room and one very fast pokemon that can revenge kill outside of TR. For the last Trick Room guy, I choose to go with something that can trap/surprise kill two of the biggest threats to the team thus far: Skarmory and Gliscor. Magnezone w/ HP Ice is added.

Finally, I realize there is a huge Fire weakness here. Slowking helps out, but I’m in a bit of trouble if he gets KO’d trying to set up TR. I decide to add a Scarftran to round out the team, giving me both a switch-in to Fire attacks and a nice revenge killer.

Move Sets and Descriptions:

Bronzong "Horizon" @

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Atk / 112 Def / 40 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

Bronzong is the pokemon I lead with most, even against Politoed and Ninetails leads (switching directly to Slowking). He is an important and VERY reliable member of the team. His EVs give him enough bulk to survive many attacks from both ends of the spectrum, as well as attack quite aggressively with his two physical moves.
He really does quite a deal of damage with Gyro Ball especially against speedy offense teams. Earthquake is to allow Bronzong to KO Excadrill after a Gyro Ball (to get rid of Balloon if necessary) and to hit slower pokemon like T-tar for greater damage.
Stealth Rock is especially important because it helps Escavalier and Bronzong tremendously in the long run by wearing down Flying types like Dragonite and the Genies.
Sometimes it is nice to have him around late game if I see many EQ users in the opponent’s team, as two other members are Ground weak, so I lead with something else.

Slowking "Captain" @

Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SAtk / 132 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Surf
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot

Slowking is the heart and soul of this team, holding everything together. He walls tons of special sweepers that would otherwise walk all over his team mates, Fire types in particular.
Because this is mostly an offense team, I decided to go with Nasty Plot over Slack Off. Thanks to his natural Bulk, huge HP and Sp. Def EV investment, Leftovers, and the AMAZING Regenerator, he hardly needs it anyway. Even Toxic can’t really keep him down if he just keeps switching. NP helps keep the pressure on the opposing team even when they think I’m just setting up TR.
Surf and Psychic are his two well used STAB moves. Psychic in particular is very helpful versus opposing Conkeldurr. Speaking of which:

Conkeldurr "Martian" @

Trait: Guts
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Drain Punch
- Facade
- Stone Edge
- Mach Punch

Part one of my physical duo, Guts-boosted Conkeldurr. Most people never see Façade coming, and semi-bulky Psychic or Poison pokemon that normally set up on Durr (like Toxicroak, Roserade, the Lati twins, etc.) are usually OHKO’d. If I can activate Toxic Orb early, he also acts like a status sponge, which is especially useful versus stuff like Breloom which often really hurts TR teams by wasting their turns asleep.
I chose Drain Punch over Hammer Arm. I think this might be a bit controversial because it doesn’t OHKO all forms of Ferrothorn, but it does provide a lot of healing which helps with the poison damage. Façade is powerful enough for everything else anyway, like bulky waters.
Stone Edge is coverage versus Ghosts and Flyers that won’t eat a Façade. Mach Punch is an especially amazing move, because it lets me fight outside of Trick Room a bit, or revenge kill stuff in general.
I have him hold Toxic Orb over Burn Orb, because I probably won’t stay in more than 3 turns anyway.
Conkeldurr also lures two key pokemon out for me: Reuniclus (Escavalier’s favorite food) and Gliscor (hates Façade).

Magnezone "UFO" @

Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Magnezone is the last pokemon I have that abuses Trick Room. The added HP EVs really do wonders for his survivability. Thunderbolt and HP Ice are his two main attacking moves, getting a ton of coverage together. Volt Switch is so I can do a bit of hit-and-run on the last turn of Trick Room, doing good damage and at the same time sending one of my Trick Roomers back in. Magnezone also has nice type synergy with Slowking, because he can take a lot of special Electric attacks.
I realize Substitute might be a bit controversial for use on a Trick Room team, but it serves a few important purposes. For one, it allows me to fake out Gliscors that try to Protect to scout for HP Ice. If I Sub first, they might stay in and get OHKO’d which is sometimes crucial to winning the match. It also allows me to block status move in the off chance I feel like slowing T-bolting a Ferrothorn to death.

Escavalier "3x10^8" @

Trait: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Megahorn
- Return
- Reversal
- Pursuit

CB Escavalier is a pokemon to be very afraid of. STAB Megahorn eats pokemon alive, everything from Scizor to Excadrill. He can KO the genies with it after SR damage, and 2HKO most Magnezones so they can’t switch in a trap kill if TR is up (and can usually survive an HP Fire if full HP otherwise). Really the only thing he needs to look out for is surprise burns from Scald when fighting bulky waters.
I think he has great defensive and offensive synergy with Slowking and Durr, taking care of most Dark and Psychic types. Return provides an alternate strong move for use against Gliscor and Volcarona, but is mostly just filler. Likewise, Reversal gives a chance to hurt Heatran if my HP is low enough, but there isn’t much chance to use it. Pursuit is excellent for capturing ghosts that I don’t want to escape.

Heatran "Nova" @

Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Overheat
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- HP Grass

Heatran is the final member of the team, and serves two very important purposes. One, he absorbs Fire type attacks for the rest of the team, and hits back HARD with his Overheat. Second, he is my only fast pokemon that can fight well outside of Trick Room. If I need to revenge kill something after TR goes down, Heatran is who I switch to.
Fire Blast is for when I don’t want the Sp. Atk. drop, and Earth Power is just a good coverage move versus other Heatran and the like. HP Grass is a key move, used to threaten Quagsire and other bulky Ground/Waters who are otherwise tough to get around barring Megahorn/Façade.
I love using this guy on the same team as Bronzong, as often you can switch him in on Earthquakes meant for Heatran to set up TR.

Other Notes and Weaknesses:
-This team is very offensive, and focuses a lot of switching and luring certain moves to not end up on the short end of the stick. In other words, it’s kinda tricky to use in my opinion.
-Versus rain teams: These can be very tough, as always Slowking is a key member in handling strong special attackers like Specs Politoed and friends. Luckily if I can manage to get Esc or Durr in safely with some TR turns up, many things are going to get OHKO’d because there tend to be a lot of frail sweepers involved.
-Versus sand teams: Probably the easiest out of the three most common weathers, because more sand teams rely on their speed boost than their defense boost nowadays. The only thing I need to watch out for is Gliscor, who is a BIG pain for this team.
-Versus sun teams: These rely a lot on speed too, but also carry a lot of Fire attacks. This can sometimes overload Slowking, particularly when used in conjunction with Solarbeam or Venusaur or both. Again, if Dur or Esc get in safely, things are going to get hurt.
Biggest threat pokemon:
-Marvel Scale Dragonite: This thing is a HUGE pain to fight, especially in the rain. It does great at stalling me out of my TR turns, and usually has a Fire or Ground move to kill Magnezone with.
-Physical wall Gliscor: The ones with more bulk than attack are very annoying. Façade doesn’t do enough to 2HKO, and Overheat doesn’t OHKO. Moreover, they can easily stall with Protect.
-Subpunch Breloom: Always an annoyance, it is especially tough here because my only fighting resist is also Grass weak. :(

Changes/Testing:

Thank you for reading and making suggestions! :)

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
This team is well-structured, but has room for improvment

-Bronzong-

He's a lead and therfore needs to be bulky. Here is the set I recommmend.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
N: Relaxed
EV: 204 Hp/204 Def/96 Atk

Trick Room/Stealth Rock
Toxic/Gyro Ball

You see, Dragonite (on marvel scale especially) hate poison. So by leading with Bronzong you might encounter one, or since Bronzong walls it pretty well, you ccan switch and poison something. Since most standard Dragonite are D-Dancer's poison is harmful because they will eventually have to switch. Poison is great to have in the long run. Don't worry about excadrill, trick room and conkeldurr make him useless against this team. So no need for earthquake.

-Slowking-

Allow me to add, that since this is a OU team and offensive that Slowbro out-classes Slowking bug time. As for running an offense set, I see your point when it come to being an offensive team. However, your trick roomer's should be bulkier, and therefore I reccommend running a bulky Slowbro instead.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
N: Sassy
E: 252 Hp/204 Sp.Def/52 SpA

Slack Off/Trick Room
Psychic/Scald

Well, slowbro can also use regenerator that you so love. I believe that his power to stay alive is crucial because even you said he's the heart and soul of your team! Slack Off is his staying power as most pokemon that use fire/water/grass attacks (your major weaknesses) he comes in and walls them (resistance and slack off is awesome, so try it). The longer your trick rommers live the better advantage you have! You can also use this set on slowking, so whichever slow-evolution you want to use, I recommend slowbro though.

-Magnezone-

Magnenzone looks fine, so lets move on.

-Conkeldurr-

Conkeldurr is a beast, although there is one pokemon that can do this job better.

Victini @ Expert Belt
N: Brave/(+SpA -Spe)
EV: 252 atk/252 hp

Trick Room/Fusion Bolt
V-Create/Brick Break

The V-Create lowers Victini's speed. So this is a must ;) Brick Break is unexpected and work well on victini. It can also use trick room which makes this pretty good. This 100% counters Excadrill as much as conkeldurr so no worries there!

-Ecaveilier-

Next, this guy is awesome :)

Heatran

I wouldn't use him, but he works so don't bother changing.

This team is well-put and I wish you luck with this team!

~Freak

i ran slowking with scald trickroom fireblast and ice beam with Amazing results because so many ferrothorns and scizors mindlessly switch into the thing

Use Flame Orb > Toxic Orb on Conk. Burn won't reduce attack when you have Guts and Burn does less damage then Toxic after 3 turns.

Solid Team :D

you can run fire attacks on slowbro/slowking but he has heatran, so its not needed T_T
the fact you has a heatran doesn't mean you shouldnt run fire blast on slowking. Currently he is forced to switch in heatran at the sight of ferrothorn, and then gives up a free hazard only to have ferrothorn switch for free. With fireblast you gain no such luxury as the ferrothorn user. Believe me, I've tried slowking as a trick room sweeper, and he is just way more useful as a pivot with lots of coverage to maintain pressure and utility.

Good job, Kabuto Mushi! This team looks to be structured well. However, because of Trick Room's short duration, I would advise you to try using three Trick Room users, while keeping two primary sweepers and perhaps a backup Scarfer (your Heatran in this case). To remedy this, I suggest trying a Trick Room Reuniclus over your Magnezone.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb | Quiet | Magic Guard | 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA
Trick Room | Psychic | Focus Blast | Shadow Ball

Reuniclus provides you with an extra Trick Room support in case it's ever necessary, while also pulling its weight offensively. Reuniclus is also a solid crutch to take on defensive Gliscor, as it is effectively immune to Toxic and takes little from Earthquake. It can retaliate back with a STAB Psychic, dealing 73.16% - 86.44%, a hefty chunk and an easy 2HKO.

I would not advise the use of Choice items on a Trick Room team, as they cause needless switching, burning turns of Trick Room that could be used for attacking. For this reason, I suggest changing the item on your Excavalier to a Life Orb. This may also help you get into a range in which Reversal is actually usable, should you choose to use it. It also lessens Multiscale Dragonites ability to set up on you, as you will no longer be locked into Megahorn and can instead hit with a powerful STAB Iron Head, which I strongly recommend replacing either Reversal or Return with.

tl;dr: Reuniclus > Magnezone; LO > CB on Excavalier, add Iron Head

Good luck!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Interesting team - that Conkeldurr looks like a champ. I'd stick with Toxic Orb, because Conky's probably only staying for only the duration of TR, which would be 3 turns or less, so Toxic PSN would inflict lesser damage.

If physical Gliscor is giving you trouble, I'd suggest running Iron Head on your CB Escavalier. It 3HKOs Gliscor without Protect, and with TR you can actually utilize the flinch rate to its advantage. I also support Enroyalle's suggestion to have a test drive with SD on Escavalier.

Also, try out Scald on Slowking, it's utility is just too good to pass up.

Definitely replace Overheat for Dragon Pulse on Heatran - it's actually a good check to CBHaxorus, surviving an Outrage and OHKOing Haxorus in return. Make Heatran female for insurance against Rivalry Haxorus.

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm loving some of these ideas.

@Anthonias
For Bronzong, I really haven't been having too many problems with him. I kinda like his EVs the way they are, to give him a bit of a kick offense-wise. I've tried HP Ice before over Earthquake to fight Gliscor and D-nite in the past, but taking extra EVs out to invest in the Sp. Atk. really brought him down. I'll try Toxic though.
Normally, I think that your are right as far as Slowbro/king, but in this case he was meant to be a special wall to play off of Bronzong's physical defense. Slowking has more Special Defense and access to NP, so I went with him.
I really like that Victini set, but I probably wouldn't use it on the same team as Heatran. Also, without Conkeldurr I'm kinda walled by Bliss/Chansey.
Thanks for your comment. :)

@BurtonEarny
Hm, that's interesting. I don't know if I'd run a Fire move on Slowking, because in rain teams his non-STAB, non-boosted Fire Blast probably wouldn't do much to a properly EV'd Ferro. And it has STAB Power Whip to OHKO me back. :(
Scald over Surf on the other hand might be an interesting choice. Since I'm usually boosting my power anyway, I can use Scald to get a burn on physical attackers switching in to take advantage of Slowking's lower Defense stat. I like it!

@Tangelo:
Um, I think you have those backwards. If I stay in for < three turns, it does slightly less damage with Toxic Orb than Flame Orb. First damage is 1/16, then 1/8, then 3/16 rather than a steady damage of 1/8. :)

@ma1ice2you:
Thanks. :D

@Enroyalle:
OK, I'm testing Reuniclus right away. I like that damage output on Gliscor. Is Reuniclus a decent Conkeldurr counter? I'm not sure if Psychic will really OHKO because of standard Durr's Sp. Def, but it looks like it.
If it can counter Conkeldurr, I think I should switch Psychic out for another move on Slowking too... maybe a Hidden Power Electric for Gyrados, or better Ice Beam for D-nite? I could use a little help here...
I'll also try LO on Escavalier, but I think I'm going to miss having all that power. I have a feeling that Multiscale D-nite will just stall me out, taking ~30-40 from Iron Head and waiting for me to kill myself with LO recoil. :(
Anyways, thanks so much for the help.

@Pocket:
Haha, looks like you read my mind on some of this stuff. :) Still pretty apprehensive about changing Escavalier, but I'll give it a shot! Good call on Heatran too, Haxorus has given me trouble because he can EQ Bronzong.
If you wouldn't mind, what is you opinion on changing Magnezone to Reuniclus? Do you agree with Enroyalle?

if you keep reuniculus, then you will have to run scald on slowking because it will be your main/ best way to check offensive gyarados. Just saying.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The only problem with removing Magnezone is that your 2 main TR sweepers would struggle to get past Skarmory. If you remove Magnezone for Reuniclus, which is an awesome TRer, you would probably want to replace Escavalier for a different TR Abuser, such as Rhyperior. Either that or you keep Escavalier and give Conkeldurr Bulk Up or Hammer Arm to get past Skarmory.

@Enroyalle:
OK, I'm testing Reuniclus right away. I like that damage output on Gliscor. Is Reuniclus a decent Conkeldurr counter? I'm not sure if Psychic will really OHKO because of standard Durr's Sp. Def, but it looks like it.
If it can counter Conkeldurr, I think I should switch Psychic out for another move on Slowking too... maybe a Hidden Power Electric for Gyrados, or better Ice Beam for D-nite? I could use a little help here...
I'll also try LO on Escavalier, but I think I'm going to miss having all that power. I have a feeling that Multiscale D-nite will just stall me out, taking ~30-40 from Iron Head and waiting for me to kill myself with LO recoil. :(
Anyways, thanks so much for the help.
Reuniclus will be (at the very least) a great check to Conkeldurr because it will underspeed it, meaning Payback will be at its usual 50 BP instead of 100. Psychic is a guaranteed OHKO on the standard 120 HP / 136 SpD Conkeldurr, so that's not a problem.

I do see where Dragonite is giving you problems. You best bet would be doing the following:
1. If you choose to keep Reuniclus, you will likely no longer need Psychic on Slowking. You can replace it with Ice Beam to hit Dragonite, and by changing Surf to Scald, you will have a better chance against Gyarados.
2. Replace Overheat or Hidden Power (Grass) on Heatran with Dragon Pulse or Hidden Power (Ice). Gastrodon doesn't look like too big of a threat with Conkeldurr benefitting from Toxic and taking little from unboosted Scalds or Earth Powers, while retaliating with a Guts-boosted STAB Drain Punch, hitting Gastrodon on its weaker physical side. Plus, using either of the aforementioned attacking moves will allow you to better revenge kill variants of Haxorus and Lati@s (provided they aren't Scarfed).

Those two will at least allow you to maintain ground against Dragonite, if not stop it cold. Hopefully that's what you're looking for. Good luck!

@Pocket
Good point bringing up Skarmory. Slowking should be a safe switch, and obviously Heatran is as well, but you may be dancing around a little bit.

Orcinus Duo

Banned deucer.
Use Flame Orb > Toxic Orb on Conk. Burn won't reduce attack when you have Guts and Burn does less damage then Toxic after 3 turns.

Solid Team :D
@Tangelo:
Um, I think you have those backwards. If I stay in for < three turns, it does slightly less damage with Toxic Orb than Flame Orb. First damage is 1/16, then 1/8, then 3/16 rather than a steady damage of 1/8. :)
Burn does LESS damage than toxic AFTER 3 turns. Tangelo got it right...

I would second keeping toxic orb. This isn't a bulkup conkeldurr, which means there's no need for it to stay in more than TR duration.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
If you give reuniclus 0 speed IV's than you should outspeed it in trick room. Since it runs recover, and if you put some investment is spA you should be able to counter Conkeldurr

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Nature: Modest/(+sp.def -atk)
Effort Values: 252 Hp/204 Sp.A/52 Sp.Def

Psychic/Recover
Trick Room/Focus Blast

Slowking/Slowbro

Nasty Plot is good. But remember Solwkings objective is to set up trick room. Therefore using NP is kinda pointless. You want it to survive a bit more so your sweepers can come in. So all I'm saying is give a bulkier slowking/bro a chance since it should work out better in this team.

Conkeldurr is a beast, but am I the only one who remembers who much stone edge misses? Try running Fling as its a dark type move, and it can cause some poison on some pokes and thats never bad. I know fling has one use, but in all honesty you can smack around any flying type in your path with return or even a fighting move since some are fly/steel or fly/normal.

Escavilier doesn't seem to add threats or remove threats. SO I reccommend something else. How about hydregion. It can be slow, and if you wear down dragonite a little bit with some pokes, you can switch to Hydregion and draco meteor it.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
N: Modest/(+SpA/-Spe) 0 speed IV
EV: 252 SpA/252 hp/4def

Draco Meteor/Surf
Flamethrower/Focus Blast

It has the water and fire move your trying to use on Slowking, so you can just use this as a substitute and still run a bulkier king/bro. Just give it some thoght.

Nice team, and everyone here is doing a great job working on this team!

~Freak

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)