Announcement o/

Boat

fuck nintendo
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey there. Finals of Classic is happening in a few hours, and so as to avoid upstaging whoever wins, I figured I'd post this sooner rather than later.

I'm resigning all of my positions in 1v1 (forum moderator, room moderator, running the circuit, etc). The only thing I'll be keeping is ownership of the 1v1 Discord, until the time comes where 1v1 has their own CL.

While this decision is, in part, motivated by wanting to focus more on IRL obligations and Smash, I would be lying if there wasn't some part of me that is just too tired to continue dealing with the group of people hellbent on treating me like the enemy. I have made some amazing friends in the 1v1 community, and if you are amongst that group, then you probably already knew this was coming. However, not all influences on me have been positive, and it's time to separate myself from the part of the community that made me grow into a more cynical and unfriendly person. I hope my successors are treated better.

With three other forum moderators, and DEG kindly agreeing to help Rosa with the circuit, I'm confident that this is the best time for me to step away. I wish my fellow staff nothing but the best, and the reassurance that if you need help, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Boat

fuck nintendo
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
do you have time to teach me P+ now
I wanna play samus
samus isn't a very technical character, so definitely a good choice to learn the game with. that being said, its more important to get the universal ATs down first. whenever I teach new players, I tell them to do the following (do all of these steps 20 times in a row successfully before moving onto the next step, do it with a not-samus character, she's too floaty, maybe marth)

- start by learning to short hop (I use X, push down on the very edge and slide off before your jumpsquat ends)
- short hop fast fall
- if you're learning to L-cancel, do it here. if you're playing with ALC, you can skip this step
- short hop fast fall L-cancel aerial (SHFFL aerial)

SHFFL isn't a particularly useful tech for samus because she doesnt actually want to be in the air, but it's important to have your basics down. a really important basic for samus is wavedashing though. theres lots of guides for it, but you should get really really good at it, because wavedashing is crucial for samus. she doesnt want to dash a lot because dashing denies access to your normals, and spacing normals is plan A for samus.

the two most notable Samus players are by far Morsecode and Chevy, so you should take a look at them to get an idea of the samus playstyle. also ice mode dtilt is a war crime so definitely take a look at ice mode stuff once you get the other stuff down

Last edited:

Tol

Retirement house
samus isn't a very technical character, so definitely a good choice to learn the game with. that being said, its more important to get the universal ATs down first. whenever I teach new players, I tell them to do the following (do all of these steps 20 times in a row successfully before moving onto the next step, do it with a not-samus character, she's too floaty, maybe marth)

- start by learning to short hop (I use X, push down on the very edge and slide off before your jumpsquat ends)
- short hop fast fall
- if you're learning to L-cancel, do it here. if you're playing with ALC, you can skip this step
- short hop fast fall L-cancel aerial (SHFFL aerial)

SHFFL isn't a particularly useful tech for samus because she doesnt actually want to be in the air, but it's important to have your basics down. a really important basic for samus is wavedashing though. theres lots of guides for it, but you should get really really good at it, because wavedashing is crucial for samus. she doesnt want to dash a lot because dashing denies access to your normals, and spacing normals is plan A for samus.

the two most notable Samus players are by far Morsecode and Chevy, so you should take a look at them to get an idea of the samus playstyle. also ice mode dtilt is a war crime so definitely take a look at ice mode stuff once you get the other stuff down
excellent. I’m glad to hear samus is so ground based, as I’m used to smash ultimate’s little mac. I have to use walking in that game to move with access to stuff-it’s gonna be weird getting used to wavedashing instead, even if it’s technically more powerful. no 2 button shorthop shortcut is gonna SUCK tho LOL
thanks for the vod recommendations and all the time you spent in 1v1 dude. can you pass me sm teams for pl if I decide to play lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)