NU Discussion Thread (Mark II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to bring up electric types again, but what about a double electric combo. Plotchu and Spectric, like you said, have very similar counters, so why not use them one after the other? Like apecham.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
That is actually an amazing combo that I've used a couple of times. Manetric can help wear down Raichu's counters (and or cripple them with trick) while Raichu can Nasty plot sweep because of Manetric's help prior to that.

To join in the discussion about NU's viable Electric-types, Magneton has traditionally been the most popular, viable and effective, followed by Manectric (particularly since it gained access to Trick). This is, of course, based purely on NU statistics and the experience we have since starting NU, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and furthermore certain Electric Pokemon are more suited to certain teams or fill specific niches.
Yes Magneton is considered the best by far. The second best is heavily debatable (there was a shit storm 3 pages back about it) but I think it's a title shared by both Raichu and Manetric. They both do their jobs excellently. Also, statistics change.

Moltrs being NU for a while is really due to nobody using it in UU. When people give pokemon a chance, they can find great things.
I'm going to use Pinsir this weekend on my new NU team.

hey guys, I was browsing over the new Heart gold / soul silver moves, and the thought of guts + belly drum ursurang came to me. While it may seem bad, as a late game sweeper without priority, and some para support, it would be destructive. Too bad ursy doesn't learn quick attack. What do you guys think?

Belly Drum = -50% HP

Orb used to start up Guts = Toxic Orbs' increasing damage.

Stealth Rock = - 12.5% HP

Then there's the damage you take from a counter-attack while setting up.

Basically, Ursaring will kill itself with the Poision after using Belly Drum, if it's attacked at all.

In other words, bad idea.

The sheer power of +6 Urasaring is very seductive (Jolly Return OHKOs Hippowdon without Guts) but it would probably have a hard time sticking around long enough to attack.
If it were going that route it might have to forget about its abilities and try for Sub Salac with Return and Crunch.

Now in doubles, a team-mate could Thunder Wave then Follow me while it Belly Drums and unleashes Earthquakes and Rock Slides at +6.
I must try that on PBR.

Hm, just thought of something. How would Pupitar do in NU (Sorry, but I love NFEs)?? I was thinking of using him in UU, but Rhyperior is pretty much better in every way except Special Defense, I guess (He's faster and stronger after a Rock Polish than Pupitar is with a Dragon Dance up). I know Rhydon is allowed in NU, but how would Pupitar do?? Here's the proposed set:

Pupitar @ Life Orb
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 8 HP/252 Atk/248 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide
-Rest

Just in case anyone is wondering, Pupitar is Rock/Ground, just like Rhyperior. Reaches 400 Attack and 330 Speed after a Dragon Dance, enough to outspeed +ve Base 100s. Best used in Sandstorm, as Pupitar has usable Special Defense (Although his typing is shit). Rest and Shed Skin allows you to play with Lady Luck.

Hmmm fancy, just asking though, why do yu have 8 HP? I think I might try it out, Mantine seems like a good partner since it walls most of its weaks.

Kecleon is in NU's basement but remember it got instant recovery in HGSS.
Since most types resist themselves, Color Change could actual serve some purpose against Choice Specs users but its HP is still too low to wall effectively.
It also gets Trick Room, Nasty Plot, and Recover but so does Slowking who is better in every way.

I never actually took a look at keckleon's stats before, and let me say that they aren't half bad. 60/90/70/60/120/40 is actually fairly decent for NU, allowing it to take special hits, abuse his new recover, and even bypass his pitiful speed with fake out/sucker punch/shadow sneak. This thing's offensive movepool rivals lickilicky, though its stats wreck it: Flamethrower, thunderbolt, shadow ball, ice beam, and grass knot on one pokemon that just had to have base 60 spatk. reverse luxray. though it does get nasty plot... gimmick? or not? no special priority hurts...
On the subject of what it can use, its offensive movepool, along with the aforementioned priority, it gets the punches, shadow claw,brick break/focus punch, and...return. Again, totally misplaced movepool.
Obviously though, support is what you should look for with a guy like keckleon. Recover is great, trick could work on a band set, trick room could be useful, especially with such low speed, and stealth rock and thunder wave are great options for anyone. His one problem is that he's largely outclassed by miltank, who has pretty much every thing he does in the way of basic support and all around better stats (except for attack and spD, obviously.) but Miltanks is (hopefully) moving back up to UU anyway, so its Keckleon's time to shine!

Hm, just thought of something. How would Pupitar do in NU (Sorry, but I love NFEs)?? I was thinking of using him in UU, but Rhyperior is pretty much better in every way except Special Defense, I guess (He's faster and stronger after a Rock Polish than Pupitar is with a Dragon Dance up). I know Rhydon is allowed in NU, but how would Pupitar do?? Here's the proposed set:

Pupitar @ Life Orb
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 8 HP/252 Atk/248 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide
-Rest

Just in case anyone is wondering, Pupitar is Rock/Ground, just like Rhyperior. Reaches 400 Attack and 330 Speed after a Dragon Dance, enough to outspeed +ve Base 100s. Best used in Sandstorm, as Pupitar has usable Special Defense (Although his typing is shit). Rest and Shed Skin allows you to play with Lady Luck.
Lol i used that set awhile back and it was pretty fun! However it does face trouble with aqua jet sharpedo, scarf primeape, tauros (outspeeds =/ )and both bullet punch and scarf medicham.

However its biggest problem is the fact that rhydon and relicanth have far more power while being able to boost their speed better with rockpolish. However that shouldnt put you off, as especially with screens its not impossible to get two dragon dances up which is obviously far better than 2 rockpolishes =D.

EDIT: Trust you VOR to set this up at 5am my time...

Has anyone looked at Chatot yet? That little bird could be freakin psycho killing some teams. Look at its SpcAtt and Speed. Then, look at its movepool and see if you see any boosting moves.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Has anyone looked at Chatot yet? That little bird could be freakin psycho killing some teams. Look at its SpcAtt and Speed. Then, look at its movepool and see if you see any boosting moves.
He's like a certain OTHER Nasty plot booster who is both faster AND bulkier.

Hmm, who is that...

Okay, I kid I kid. He's a pretty alright alternative to Raichu. Boasting pretty good coverage with his moves. He's paper thin so be careful.

He's like a certain OTHER Nasty plot booster who is both faster AND bulkier.

Hmm, who is that...

Okay, I kid I kid. He's a pretty alright alternative to Raichu. Boasting pretty good coverage with his moves. He's paper thin so be careful.
Yea. I don't know why all the Smogon sets have LifeOrb as an alternative. I'd be running Focus Sash.

I've tried out Chatot with Encore/Nasty Plot/Hyper Voice/Heat Wave, and it plays pretty well. I don't see it getting past Slowking anytime soon, however, unless it somehow manages to Encore Slack Off and get up to +6. The main problem with it is that scarfers destroy it.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Yea. I don't know why all the Smogon sets have LifeOrb as an alternative. I'd be running Focus Sash.
Focus sash is useless on a sweeper. Like 99.9% of the time rocks/Spikes are down, and going out of your way to support ONE sweeper is a bit much. You also lose a fair bit of power too.

I've tried out Chatot with Encore/Nasty Plot/Hyper Voice/Heat Wave, and it plays pretty well. I don't see it getting past Slowking anytime soon, however, unless it somehow manages to Encore Slack Off and get up to +6. The main problem with it is that scarfers destroy it.

No decent player is letting you get six plus. It's also destroyed by priority. Chatot is just *okay/good*. Nothing much else.

Focus sash is useless on a sweeper. Like 99.9% of the time rocks/Spikes are down, and going out of your way to support ONE sweeper is a bit much. You also lose a fair bit of power too.
Are there that many trap setters in NU? I've always thought the leads are all fast guys that like to give a quick smack or sleep like Persian and Jumpluff.

They tend to be midgame Stealth Rock users I think. I like to use a more orthodox lead myself, but I think I'm one of the very few who do. There is also the odd Cacturne lead for Spikes.

Chatot looks great on paper, but all offensive teams and most balanced teams have a Scarf user that kills you five times over.

What do you guys think of Shedinja? He can tear apart Rain Dance teams. He doesn't worry about Snover, and Hippopotas is rare enough that he doesn't have to worry about him, either. Armaldo and Sandslash are excellent Rapid Spinners.

I ran Kecleon in my very first attempt at NU, before I knew the metagame.

It was something like Fake Out / Sub / Focus Punch / Shadow Claw.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For those people wondering about Pupitar, 248 Speed EVs allow you to outspeed base 100s, the extra 4 isn't going anywhere special but HP.

What do you guys think of Shedinja? He can tear apart Rain Dance teams. He doesn't worry about Snover, and Hippopotas is rare enough that he doesn't have to worry about him, either. Armaldo and Sandslash are excellent Rapid Spinners.
Eh?! Sorry, but Shedinja gets hit by hail same as every non-ice type, last time I checked.

I think he meant that Snover is so rare that Shedinja doesn't have to worry about it, in that sense. The same way that Shedinja doesn't have to worry about Tyranitar in NU, because it never gets used here, for obvious reasons. Except Snover does get usage, but it might be low enough to consider it negligible.

How much usage does Snover actually get in NU? Is it in the OU of NU?o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)