Announcement np: SV OU Suspect Process, Round 11 - We Didn't Start the Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Gouging Fire is a hard one because it checks off a lot of the conventional "broken" boxes -- teambuilding is restricted a bit and counterplay does not overlap a ton between sets. However, there is a lot holding it back from having the expected in-game impact of such a presence, which people (myself included) are starting to see. I am pretty conflicted and this is probably the suspect I have thought the most about all generation.

I think that the power level on the most discussed set -- DD Breaking Swipes -- allows for some flexible responses to it. I believe that the other sets all reveal themselves at team preview (see: Choice Band on Sun) or upon entry (see: offensive DD with the usual Booster Energy), which enables various degrees of counterplay depending upon your foresight and team. We have also seen some reactions to it within teambuilding such as the surge in Tera Fairy for Breaking Swipes on physical attackers (Great Tusk and Gliscor, for example) or the shift in set mix of some Pokemon like Landorus-T, Dondozo, and Volcarona. In short, Gouging Fire is very strong, but in-game responses to it are arguably sufficient.

With this in mind, I also think there are a lot of barriers to consistency in this metagame, especially in the teambuilder. Perhaps being patient as the metagame fluctuates and evolves is the best approach for this. I think you could ask a dozen different high level players what the biggest issue in the tier is right now and get a half dozen different (justified) answers -- some would say nothing, some would focus on one or two things, and others would provide you with a full list with the contents varying. Perhaps voting based on teambuilding restriction is another approach you can take though, especially if you believe the strain on building (i.e: exhausting an extra Tera type or relying repeatedly on a specific defensive core or single Pokemon) is overly restrictive relative to its peers in the metagame. I cannot say I am positive.

I was pretty confident that it was broken a few weeks ago and I think this sentiment resonated throughout a ton of the community, too. Take a look at the first pages of this thread or the community survey (4.1 from qualified in general and -- I did some math with the data quickly -- a 4.0 from people who are currently playing SV OU in SPL). This degree of support was on par with other suspects that ended with a healthy supermajority ban and even some quickbans, but I think the last couple of weeks of the metagame unfolding has shown some degree of regression both towards the perceived effectiveness of Gouging Fire and towards the amount of support it has.

This is not the first time something like this happened either -- Kyurem lost steam mid-suspect a month or two back and Zamazenta lost a lot of steam mid-suspct during the HOME metagame, too, which resulted in both staying (the latter doing so by a large margin, so it may have regardless). I think we need to accept that the metagame is still evolving at a breakneck pace with new ideas surfacing regularly, which leads to variable understandings and opinions with potentially large swaying of overall community sentiment.

I am still not fully decided on what I am voting (was very much leaning ban initially and now am slightly leaning towards anti-ban the more I think/write this out), but I think this is a prime example in showing the metagame is still changing a lot, even just within the two weeks a suspect takes, and why going through the suspect process itself is very important for finding the best outcome. People's experiences teambuilding or playing (especially on high ladder or within tournaments) as well as their shared accounts in community spaces certainly do matter. I am going to make another post as some of the above arguments have logic I want to touch on, too, so stay tuned for that.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Some points I really disagree with in this thread (and this is probably going to tick off select people on both sides, so that's always fun) and precisely why:

1. Metagame shifts being needed to account for something being used as hard proof something is banworthy/too restrictive.

No, this is not the case. It could be the case if these shifts require teams being too limited (i.e: using the same set or core on most teams), but sometimes healthy adaptation exists and I would argue part of the response to Gouging Fire can be summed up as that.

2. Every ban mandates hard statistical proof to be pushed through, specifically when referring to win-rate.

If this is the case, then a majority of prior bans would have to be reevaluated and the logic throughout discussions is very different. There has just never been a strong correlation here and I think it is a contentious point. A lot of susepcts and bans are determined based on our intangible experiences rather than strictly statistics simply due to the nature of the game.

Let's go through some examples: While Archaludon had a good win-rate in something like SPL over a decent sample (56%), a ton of prior bans were either neutral or below 50% to the point that there is not much correlation here at all. Gliscor had a 45% win rate in SCL before its ban while Roaring Moon had a 55% win rate during the same tournament prior to its ban; both were suspected during the tournament and banned. Ursaluna-Bloodmoon had a very high winrate, but also got banned with >90% support and would've been a quickban had we had a week earlier release or a week more prior to SCL's start.

Ironically enough suspects that have not been banned actually have had slightly higher win-rates like Kyurem (55% this SPL) or Kingambit (52% over a very large WCoP sample). Zamazenta actually had a win-rate between 50-51% throughout the entire duration of WCoP (splitting it exactly even in most playoff rounds), which I find kind of amusing as well. You could continue this trend analysis back for generations and find little-to-no correlation between win rate and broken verdicts for suspect candidates.

Usage stats themselves have a better correlation with brokenness, but sheer usage should never be tightly tied with bans or brokenness because they are simply separate metrics -- just this generation things from UU have been banned from OU and same with a couple of prior generations. If there was strong correlation here, bans would end up just mirroring select parts of the top of usage, but there is obviously a lot more nuance to it.

3. Tiering should cater to a lower common denominator rather than a higher one as better players are naturally able to adapt more

No, this one was particularly silly to me. We tier based off of people qualified to participate in higher level play/discussion after all and this is done by design. Reqs are meant to be a competency test, councils consist of strong/active players, and so on. The best players are the best problem solvers and this is reflected within their teams, plays, and opinions. Tiering should cater to those who find themselves qualified to participate -- and posting on the forums is very much participating and you are welcome to, but ultimately suspect votes and council actions hold the most weight of course.

4. Teambuilding restriction is not a reason to ban something

Yes and no -- it is absolutely a reason to want to ban something, but it needs to be applied properly and practical within the metagame as people only prepare for things they find a need to account for after all. In the end, we should not have to use the same single Pokemon or core excessively to check something -- there should be a healthy array of counterplay to everything and this is frequently put to the test when trying to build. It would be ideal for each vague archetype to have some viability, too, but that is not even the point here so much as the fact that building can be a good test of what may or may not be overly restrictive in any given metagame.

I did find a lot of arguments here compelling, including some that used this logic and accompanied it by more appropriate and topical supplementary information, but I think a lot of the posts here had misguided bits that I wanted to point out as reasonably as I could.

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
is a Contributor to Smogon
2. Every ban mandates hard statistical proof to be pushed through, specifically when referring to win-rate.

If this is the case, then a majority of prior bans would have to be reevaluated and the logic throughout discussions is very different. There has just never been a strong correlation here and I think it is a contentious point. A lot of susepcts and bans are determined based on our intangible experiences rather than strictly statistics simply due to the nature of the game.

Let's go through some examples: While Archaludon had a good win-rate in something like SPL over a decent sample (56%), a ton of prior bans were either neutral or below 50% to the point that there is not much correlation here at all. Gliscor had a 45% win rate in SCL before its ban while Roaring Moon had a 55% win rate during the same tournament prior to its ban; both were suspected during the tournament and banned. Ursaluna-Bloodmoon had a very high winrate, but also got banned with >90% support and would've been a quickban had we had a week earlier release or a week more prior to SCL's start.

Ironically enough suspects that have not been banned actually have had slightly higher win-rates like Kyurem (55% this SPL) or Kingambit (52% over a very large WCoP sample). Zamazenta actually had a win-rate between 50-51% throughout the entire duration of WCoP (splitting it exactly even in most playoff rounds), which I find kind of amusing as well. You could continue this trend analysis back for generations and find little-to-no correlation between win rate and broken verdicts for suspect candidates.
Hey there Finch, really good points but I just wanted to ask: win rate isn't the end-all-be-all stat that it is used as, but would you consider something like an uptick in counter usage rate a good sign of something's brokenness? As for me, I'm on the fence about Gouging seeing as I believe all of its hard checks have stuff to do other than answer Gouging and are generally decent picks in the metagame.

Check / Counter statistics has been what I’ve been asking both sides to provide from the beginning. If a Mon has a wide variety of checks and counters that are easy to fit on a team and do a good job checking / countering said Mon, that is a good reason for why a Mon isn’t broken. This is why Archaludon was so easily banned. It had no reliable checks or counters, and the ones it had (Clodsire, Tera Ghost Blissey, Tera Fairy Skeledirge) were hard to fit on a team.

Edit: I realize Tera Fairy Skeledirge wasn’t even really a check because of Flash Cannon now.

I know Base stats aren't the be-all and end-all, but I find it dumb that Gouging Fire has comparable raw bulk to Garganacl along with a better defensive typing while actually being an offensive threat with a serviceable speed tier and an ability that can further augment its offensive potential. It feels like such a low-risk mon to use for the potential upside.

I won't be getting reqs as I'm not good enough to get reqs (managed to fluke reqs once for the Tera suspect), but as Finchinator pointed out, the counterplay to Gouging Fire's sets tend to not overlap, which is a problem given the very high number of threats in the tier. I believe something needs to be done, but if Gouging Fire isn't the right target, what is? I also find Gouging Fire in the sun oppressive whereas the Breaking Swipe set is tame.

Check / Counter statistics has been what I’ve been asking both sides to provide from the beginning. If a Mon has a wide variety of checks and counters that are easy to fit on a team and do a good job checking / countering said Mon, that is a good reason for why a Mon isn’t broken. This is why Archaludon was so easily banned. It had no reliable checks or counters, and the ones it had (Clodsire, Tera Ghost Blissey, Tera Fairy Skeledirge) were hard to fit on a team.

Edit: I realize Tera Fairy Skeledirge wasn’t even really a check because of Flash Cannon now.
It's less so that the checks for Gouge are insanely hard to put on teams, there is stuff like lando-t, tusk, prim, gliscor, dondozo, but moreso that they also have to check so many other mons and besides from dondozo and gliscor, none of them are able to recover hp (prim draining kiss is not outhealing e-quake damage). Even then, dondozo has to run body press to put breaking swipe sets, and gliscor just gets screwed over by it as they won't be able to get passed tera poison sets if they use toxic, which itself is on the decline for gliscor.
I'm less adamant on gouging being ovewhelmingly broken, though I do still think it should be banned, but lots of these mons have to deal with everything else in the meta, meaning they can be overwhelmed. I think something needs to go in this meta and gouging is the one that is the most egregious on teambuilding strain. It feels like I have to run two different mons just to counter it and even then I have to play extremely carefully.

It's less so that the checks for Gouge are insanely hard to put on teams, there is stuff like lando-t, tusk, prim, gliscor, dondozo, but moreso that they also have to check so many other mons and besides from dondozo and gliscor, none of them are able to recover hp (prim draining kiss is not outhealing e-quake damage). Even then, dondozo has to run body press to put breaking swipe sets, and gliscor just gets screwed over by it as they won't be able to get passed tera poison sets if they use toxic, which itself is on the decline for gliscor.
I'm less adamant on gouging being ovewhelmingly broken, though I do still think it should be banned, but lots of these mons have to deal with everything else in the meta, meaning they can be overwhelmed. I think something needs to go in this meta and gouging is the one that is the most egregious on teambuilding strain. It feels like I have to run two different mons just to counter it and even then I have to play extremely carefully.
This is the reason I think Band Sun is the most broken. Out of all the checks you just mentioned, only Dozo and Proto-Def or Proto-Speed Great Tusk stands a chance because every single one of the other Mons are OHKOed under Sun by even Proto-Speed. While the Band set is definitely more predictable, even if you know what’s going on it is near impossible to play around. One safe swap in and half your team is suddenly missing.

This is the reason I think Band Sun is the most broken. Out of all the checks you just mentioned, only Dozo and Proto-Def or Proto-Speed Great Tusk stands a chance because every single one of the other Mons are OHKOed under Sun by even Proto-Speed. While the Band set is definitely more predictable, even if you know what’s going on it is near impossible to play around. One safe swap in and half your team is suddenly missing.
That's honestly part of the reason why gouging is broken. The sets counters are so different. Like, only Body press max defense curse dondozo can beat both bp and band sets, and even then it is very easy to overwhelm them. Defense boosted tusk still takes 40% min from raging fury in the sun, and it can't even ko it from full with headlong rush, nevermind the e-quake that it would normally run. And then they tera fire and you are 2hit ko'd. Only dondozo can 'counter' it, the only reason why band sun sets are not more broken is because sun as a playstyle isn't the best rn, though it isn't too bad.
I've even run proto attack band gouging on a sticky webs team, since ribombee can set up sunny day before it dies to allow gouging to brute force its way through bulkier mons, allowing the rest of the team to clean up. I think experimentation will truly break gouging, though who knows, maybe a decent amount of splashable counterplay will emerge.

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
after getting reqs im deciding to vote dnb. funnily enough, this comes after the fact that my most recent loss was at the hands of gouge, but i don't really think its broken. i laddered w a few different teams, some w no fire resist and gouge counterplay always felt doable. even when using gouge i did not once find it overbearing as the breaking swipe set has been notably accounted for and doesn't really catch anyone off guard anymore. when playing against it it felt very easy to knock, pressure w hazards, and/or phase out. the more offensive sets were easily blanked as they faced the problem of being susceptible to rocks (even the breaking swipe set sometimes does too), meaning all i usually had to do was get up rocks and have an answer for it at +1 alive, or position in way that does not let it setup for free if i didn't have a real answer to it. it felt no different from some of the other setup guys on HO regardless of what the set was. the sun set is a complete joke and w some teams, i was honestly glad when it tried to tera fire and muscle through my team as when i had no fire resist, i would just get hazards up and play the sack game (now up in the tera battle), which made it much easier to plan out endgames. the game i lost to it was when i overpredicted and left my gliscor in vs a kyurem that i thought would earth power and died to ice beam, so i later didn't have a way to force it to tera (via toxic) and got swept. simply put, my only loss to it was through me playing poorly and i didn't get any clips of me 6-0ing with, even in the low ladder. ive laddered to 2k a few times in the recent weeks and even then i didn't have problems facing gouge, despite me using a variety of teams.

something people might say is that my teams were designed in such a way that allowed me to deal w gouge and the overbearingness it has on building is the reason why its broken. to that i turn to my friends vertex and CTC who pass me teams (since i don't build), who are coincidentally 2 of the best builders in the tier. they have assured me that the teams they use are not designed in unique ways that would not exist if gouge was not in the tier. even from an eye-test, i can tell they aren't lying as i have not come across any type of strange tech that was put in place for gouge. team styles have varied also, from different weathers to different HOs to bulky offences, and even stall. i don't see the unnatural restriction its putting on teams that would warrant these claims. will be open to seeing any stats of usage rates / combos that disprove this tho, so feel free to post any.

to conclude i don't think gouge is broken and i will be voting dnb because of the ease i had in dealing with it throughout all of the games ive played in the recent weeks. counterplay exists, even if it may not be obvious (like when u have no fire resist) and there is no unhealthy restriction it places on the building.

Gouging Fire is a hard one because it checks off a lot of the conventional "broken" boxes -- teambuilding is restricted a bit and counterplay does not overlap a ton between sets. However, there is a lot holding it back from having the expected in-game impact of such a presence, which people (myself included) are starting to see. I am pretty conflicted and this is probably the suspect I have thought the most about all generation.

I think that the power level on the most discussed set -- DD Breaking Swipes -- allows for some flexible responses to it. I believe that the other sets all reveal themselves at team preview (see: Choice Band on Sun) or upon entry (see: offensive DD with the usual Booster Energy), which enables various degrees of counterplay depending upon your foresight and team. We have also seen some reactions to it within teambuilding such as the surge in Tera Fairy for Breaking Swipes on physical attackers (Great Tusk and Gliscor, for example) or the shift in set mix of some Pokemon like Landorus-T, Dondozo, and Volcarona. In short, Gouging Fire is very strong, but in-game responses to it are arguably sufficient.

With this in mind, I also think there are a lot of barriers to consistency in this metagame, especially in the teambuilder. Perhaps being patient as the metagame fluctuates and evolves is the best approach for this. I think you could ask a dozen different high level players what the biggest issue in the tier is right now and get a half dozen different (justified) answers -- some would say nothing, some would focus on one or two things, and others would provide you with a full list with the contents varying. Perhaps voting based on teambuilding restriction is another approach you can take though, especially if you believe the strain on building (i.e: exhausting an extra Tera type or relying repeatedly on a specific defensive core or single Pokemon) is overly restrictive relative to its peers in the metagame. I cannot say I am positive.

I was pretty confident that it was broken a few weeks ago and I think this sentiment resonated throughout a ton of the community, too. Take a look at the first pages of this thread or the community survey (4.1 from qualified in general and -- I did some math with the data quickly -- a 4.0 from people who are currently playing SV OU in SPL). This degree of support was on par with other suspects that ended with a healthy supermajority ban and even some quickbans, but I think the last couple of weeks of the metagame unfolding has shown some degree of regression both towards the perceived effectiveness of Gouging Fire and towards the amount of support it has.

This is not the first time something like this happened either -- Kyurem lost steam mid-suspect a month or two back and Zamazenta lost a lot of steam mid-suspct during the HOME metagame, too, which resulted in both staying (the latter doing so by a large margin, so it may have regardless). I think we need to accept that the metagame is still evolving at a breakneck pace with new ideas surfacing regularly, which leads to variable understandings and opinions with potentially large swaying of overall community sentiment.

I am still not fully decided on what I am voting (was very much leaning ban initially and now am slightly leaning towards anti-ban the more I think/write this out), but I think this is a prime example in showing the metagame is still changing a lot, even just within the two weeks a suspect takes, and why going through the suspect process itself is very important for finding the best outcome. People's experiences teambuilding or playing (especially on high ladder or within tournaments) as well as their shared accounts in community spaces certainly do matter. I am going to make another post as some of the above arguments have logic I want to touch on, too, so stay tuned for that.
Sort of disappointed you feel this way. I think the meta is 1, maybe 2 bans away from stabilizing and this would be a good step. Threat saturation has been a constant issue since DLC2 and I think the counter play you provided can typically only handle one set of GF and create other holes that are hard to fill and leaves your team very thin. I.e. Tera fairy tusk leaves you open to Kingambits Iron Head. The builder is just going to become increasingly centralized, which becomes even more frustrating to ladder in as you become more susceptible to mu fishing.

I'm just gonna leave a remark here that I believe the meta is not in a good state right now and that a no ban on gouging will pretty much doom the meta into being unfun for a long long time. I genuinely can't understand how people can reconcile the idea that the game is fun to play and that gouging shouldnt be banned when NOBODY IS PLAYING THE GAME. If you look at top 500, there are literally 1600s in the top 500, something that has never happened in my 6 months of playing this game, aside from MAYBE the week before dlc 2 and even then I'm pretty sure that didnt happen. There are only 30 accounts in the 1900s+.

How can all these people claim that the meta is in a good state and vote dnb when they dont even want to play the game. Ladder is deader than its ever been(even in the days of zapkinglu), and if gouging isnt gonna get the support it needs to be banned then nothing else will. The tier may change or adapt with the existing mons we have but I doubt it will magically get better or be more fun to play and its gonna stay that way until next gen and then die. Awesome.

I think people have every right to be upset at voters who will vote DNB on everything but at the end of the day voting Ban on everything that is vaguely broken isn’t good either.

I ultimately don’t really see how Gouging is significantly hampering the builder. Double padded physical defense cores have been close to mandatory since this gen was a released due to the significantly higher number of game-ending physical threats than special (said special threats are also a lot easier to soft check w gking dirge ting etc.) If your team with Dozo as your only defensive option is getting ran over by Gouging I assure you that you will struggle just as heavily with Roaring, Gambit, Waterpon, Weav, etc. That’s simply how this metagame operates and that’s fine. There are a tremendous amount of viable generalized physdef checks w tusk, landot, skarm, mola, clef, glis etc. There are also numerous two mon defensive cores that stonewall Gouging regardless of variant such as Mola+Dirge, LandoT+Any PhysDef Mon That Threatens to 1v1 at -1, Knock on anything+Garg, etc.

I do think there are restrictive mons in the metagame and that there could be some tiering done from here but productive tiering is not complaining that the meta isn’t for you then saying that banning random threats of a hat will magically improve everything.

As someone who was on the fence about Gouging, I ladder the tier at high ladder and attempted to participate in the forum discussion then was ultimately tipped towards DNB. I think what far too many people in these threads are doing is picking a side immediately, and refusing to engage or entertain the other side. It’s quite frustrating from the perspective of a tour player I can’t imagine what it’s like for council lol.

This post is rambly but I leave you with the following:
Allow yourself to change your mind.

senorlopez

Formerly Ricardo [old]
I didn't find GF overbearing in my suspect but I think that's primarily because I ran into the same variant that I had a dedicated counter to when another set change or Tera change would have caused me to lose or become flustered; it has become the same predictable set atm which could easily change in the future making counter-play less reliable - this in tandem with the already overly threat saturated tier is something I think most would like to avoid.

In view of the survey results of GF and the declining enjoyment of the meta, I believe (lots of) action needs to be taken to make the tier more enjoyable so I will be voting BAN. I really don't see the sentiment of the tier improving with no action and it would diminish how survey results are interpreted in the future if a 4.1 score ends up doing nothing.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
would diminish how survey results are interpreted in the future if a 4.1 score ends up doing nothing.
The metagame has shifted a decent amount over the last two weeks; I bet if the survey happened again, it would be lower. Examples like this are part of why we are trending towards slightly less frequent surveys as the metagame continues to move so quickly. I think zio puts it best:
This post is rambly but I leave you with the following:
Allow yourself to change your mind.
Surveys are good data, but you don’t just instantly vote ban because of them showing high support — you need to experience the metagame and form an opinion based off of that. It is a close suspect for sure, but neither result would be a complete waste — this is the whole point of suspects: debating and coming to a verdict among voters.

senorlopez

Formerly Ricardo [old]
The metagame has shifted a decent amount over the last two weeks; I bet if the survey happened again, it would be lower. Examples like this are part of why we are trending towards slightly less frequent surveys as the metagame continues to move so quickly. I think zio puts it best:

Surveys are good data, but you don’t just instantly vote ban because of them showing high support — you need to experience the metagame and form an opinion based off of that. It is a close suspect for sure, but neither result would be a complete waste — this is the whole point of suspects: debating and coming to a verdict among voters.
I understand the thrust of your viewpoint in that the meta has adjusted and that the score, if the survey would be held today, would probably be lower and I would probably agree with that. The larger concern that I think a decent portion of the community shares with me is that if nothing has happened with Kyurem and then nothing has changed with GF and if nothing with the likes of say Tera will change, then where do we go from here in the face of these low enjoyment scores? GF was the clear front runner in getting any change for the tier and if that doesn't get through then I don't think anything else well which is what is contributing to the increasing frequency of doomer posts and decreased ladder player numbers (even taking into consideration time passed after SV release).

Speaking for myself, I loathe this meta. I'm only laddering it so I have qualified status in hopes of contributing to change in the tier.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
then where do we go from here in the face of these low enjoyment scores?
I mean for starters, they’re not that low relatively speaking. But regardless: I think with time the metagame will stop evolving so quickly and what needs to be changed will become so clear. I think banning for the sake of banning isn’t ever the play — if you think it’s broken, 100% it should be banned, but if it’s just threat saturation, then it’s important to be patient and let the process decipher the deeper issues over time.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Sort of disappointed you feel this way. I think the meta is 1, maybe 2 bans away from stabilizing and this would be a good step. Threat saturation has been a constant issue since DLC2 and I think the counter play you provided can typically only handle one set of GF and create other holes that are hard to fill and leaves your team very thin. I.e. Tera fairy tusk leaves you open to Kingambits Iron Head. The builder is just going to become increasingly centralized, which becomes even more frustrating to ladder in as you become more susceptible to mu fishing.
You’re disappointed I played the tier and came to a different opinion as the metagame grew into a different state than the start? Not sure how I’m supposed to react to that if I’m being honest.

I’m still not sold on it staying, but you kind of miss the point when you use examples like that — so many Pokemon force a certain Tera or chip for teammates. That example isn’t just applicable to Gouging Fire and the onus is on the ban side to prove it is limiting to a disproportionate degree and problematic. And I can see why someone would argue that — I even did above, but nothing in your post alludes to that.

senorlopez

Formerly Ricardo [old]
I mean for starters, they’re not that low relatively speaking. But regardless: I think with time the metagame will stop evolving so quickly and what needs to be changed will become so clear. I think banning for the sake of banning isn’t ever the play — if you think it’s broken, 100% it should be banned, but if it’s just threat saturation, then it’s important to be patient and let the process decipher the deeper issues over time.
Agree to disagree. I think atm it's not busted but only because it's currently predictable and people aren't being varied with their set usages when in time, with its variety of sets, would push it over the edge in another meta that predominantly accounts for another threat when the spotlight is on X other mon.

Again, different viewpoint but I also think evaluating the meta as a whole is important when voting for a suspect though I understand the narrative from the opposing side. There's only so much standing on the fence that people will tolerate before people move on to different interests.

ep lando is ran to hit tusk notably harder and not up glimm’s tspikes. it is also independently a good mon for ho and bo able to soft check+get two rounds of helmet minimum on any given physical attacker while being a solid pivot that gets rocks up (also denies glimm glis skarm erc rocks/spikes if so you please)

mono bpress dozo gives you a more immediate option against gambit without needing to blow tera as frequently and lets you actually hit waterpon which is incredibly significant for stall.

I think you are conflating general meta shifts (or just outright optimization in the case of landot) to mons needing to adapt to gouging. These are good mons running good sets that cover a wide number of mons including gouging but that doesnt mean they are being forced to adapt. These are minor optimizations that come with separate benefits anyways.
I'm not making an argument either way, but I don't think I've seen as many EP Land the way they've been popping up now. I know it's good for Tusk but it was always good for Tusk and I'm stil just now seeing them en mass. If GF is banned and I start to see less, that'll be telling

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Before everyone casts their vote, consider that bulky DD is not the real broken set. This is.

Gouging Fire @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz/Heat Crash
- Outrage
- Substitute/Morning Sun

Have you ever wanted to 2HKO or OHKO the entire tier, but Sun isn’t up, and you wanna use DD at the same time? Guess what, you can. If you’re not convinced, here’s some calcs.

Tera Dragon
+1 252+ Atk Protosynthesis Tera Dragon Gouging Fire Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Dondozo: 224-264 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 19.1% chance to 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Protosynthesis Tera Dragon Gouging Fire Outrage vs. 252 HP / 40 Def Ting-Lu: 408-482 (79.3 - 93.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

252+ Atk Protosynthesis Tera Dragon Gouging Fire Outrage vs. 252 HP / 32 Def Landorus-Therian: 362-426 (94.7 - 111.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Protosynthesis Tera Dragon Gouging Fire Outrage vs. 252 HP / 52 Def Garganacl: 392-462 (97 - 114.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Protosynthesis Tera Dragon Gouging Fire Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 404-476 (108.8 - 128.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Protosynthesis Tera Dragon Gouging Fire Outrage vs. +1 104 HP / 252 Def Zamazenta: 246-290 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (2HKOs even after an ID Boost)

+1 252+ Atk Protosynthesis Gouging Fire Outrage vs. 148 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 400-472 (111.1 - 131.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Protosynthesis Tera Dragon Gouging Fire Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 146-172 (43.7 - 51.4%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Protosynthesis Tera Dragon Gouging Fire Outrage vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Great Tusk: 352-416 (81.1 - 95.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

No Tera
+1 252+ Atk Protosynthesis Gouging Fire Outrage vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Skeledirge: 186-219 (45.2 - 53.2%) -- 32% chance to 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Protosynthesis Gouging Fire Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 337-397 (85.5 - 100.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Protosynthesis Gouging Fire Flare Blitz vs. 64 HP / 28 Def Tera Fairy Raging Bolt: 402-474 (98.7 - 116.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Protosynthesis Gouging Fire Outrage vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Heatran: 182-214 (47.1 - 55.4%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Protosynthesis Gouging Fire Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Primarina: 168-198 (46.1 - 54.3%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Protosynthesis Gouging Fire Flare Blitz vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Primarina: 246-290 (76.6 - 90.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Protosynthesis Gouging Fire Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Dondozo: 168-198 (33.3 - 39.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (this hits harder than CB Tera Fire Blitz in Sun btw)

168 Atk Choice Band Tera Fire Gouging Fire Raging Fury vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo in Sun: 166-196 (32.9 - 38.8%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO (for reference)

As you can see, G-Fire is casually one-shotting Lando, Ting-Lu, and Garg after rocks + Tera. Dozo also straight up gets wiped after 2 Outrages and some chip for good measure. Even resists aren’t safe. Let’s also not ignore the fact that G-Fire is out here 2HKOing a fucking max defense Skarmory. Can’t forget to mention that G-Fire doesn’t even need to Tera. +1 Outrage outdamages CB Speed Boost Tera Fire Blitz under Sun. Meaning you can keep your burn immunity and neutrality to Fairy until Tera is needed. Every common Fairy in OU is easily 2HKOd or OHKOd by Blitz or Heat Crash.

G-Fire can also get 1-2 more Dragon Dances up because of its bulk. 105/121/93 bulk on a setup sweeper like this is a war crime. This spread lets you eat Darts from Hex Pult after rocks, avoid a 2HKO from Val Moonblast, and Sub up vs Garg. Oh yeah also, G-Fire can Sub up vs fucking Garg, no Tera needed. If you do Tera, you can grab yourself a second DD in front of Lando, Tusk, etc.

0 Atk Garganacl Salt Cure vs. 192 HP / 0 Def Gouging Fire: 74-90 (18.5 - 22.5%) -- possible 5HKO

0 Atk Dondozo Waterfall vs. 192 HP / 0 Def Gouging Fire: 75-88 (18.7 - 22%) -- possible 5HKO

76 Atk Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 192 HP / 0 Def Gouging Fire: 232-276 (58.1 - 69.1%) -- approx. 2HKO

252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Tera Dragon Gouging Fire: 312-368 (78.1 - 92.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Gouging Fire: 156-184 (39 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 192 HP / 0 Def Tera Dragon Gouging Fire: 139-165 (34.8 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 192 HP / 0 Def Tera Dragon Gouging Fire: 127-150 (31.8 - 37.5%) -- 91.5% chance to 3HKO

This set beats the standard counterplay to G-Fire of stacking physically bulky mons like Mola, Garg, Gliscor, and Dozo to stall it out, or force a Tera. Tera Fairy is not ideal here since Blitz still does a shitton to everything here minus Dozo, and Fairy leaves you vulnerable to the big bad Gambit. This is what ppl mean by threat saturation.

To trace back to SZ’s point for a minute, I think where G-Fire is most broken is not Sun, its Webs. It benefits the style as much as the style benefits from it. To quote the man himself.

“webs is a cheese playstyle that should never amount to more consistency than the dominating playstyles in the metagame like BO, HO, and balance”

“with webs, you nullify other booster mons, by taking away their speed boost, so now gouging can afford to run bulk + adamant + dd”

“its a sweeper than can hard counter cinderace and setup on it, so if it court changes, it lets you DD twice, with a booster attack boost, and being bulky lets u either use swipe, or other sets to break past counters, so as u can see, this pokemon single handedly solved every other problem of sticky webs”

People are slowly figuring out how good Webs are. With several new abusers like Rbolt, Serp, and old ones like Manaphy, the reward for setting up Webs is worth it, and G-Fire only enables the style further.

It’d might be an extreme take to say, but G-Fire to Webs is what Arch was to Rain.

It is fine when Balance, BO, and HO has strong enablers, but cheese styles like Rain and Webs should remain just cheese. Because it creates the matchup fishy issue that is already prominent in the tier. If there is anything that promotes a slower, Boots Spam meta, its Webs. Part of the reason for the Ting/Gking/Zap builds is because of Webs. If Webs continues to propel upwards, then that is what the meta may look like. If I wasn’t busy with life, I’d vote ban.

You’re disappointed I played the tier and came to a different opinion as the metagame grew into a different state than the start? Not sure how I’m supposed to react to that if I’m being honest.

I’m still not sold on it staying, but you kind of miss the point when you use examples like that — so many Pokemon force a certain Tera or chip for teammates. That example isn’t just applicable to Gouging Fire and the onus is on the ban side to prove it is limiting to a disproportionate degree and problematic. And I can see why someone would argue that — I even did above, but nothing in your post alludes to that.
I mean, I’m not like disappointed in you as a person lol. People are disappointed that they disagree all the time.

My argument would be that everything people have said. GF can choose its own checks, helps overwhelm physical walls and has quite centralized counter play that pushes it over the line. He’s also pretty resistant to priority which is a common counter to set up sweepers. Although I don’t think it’s as bad as people say. Further, even though this is not involved in tiering calculus, the meta would benefit from one less major threat.

I'm not making an argument either way, but I don't think I've seen as many EP Land the way they've been popping up now. I know it's good for Tusk but it was always good for Tusk and I'm stil just now seeing them en mass. If GF is banned and I start to see less, that'll be telling
EP lando’s main use cases is counter lead glimm in my experience, and also beating zama down

Personally, i really have an issue with how these constant surveys and suspects effect the metagame more than the actual Pokémon at hand.

Surveys can potentially distort the structure of a metagame by highlighting issues that may be problematic for tier leaders but not necessarily for the general player base. Top players, who have honed their skills and strategies, are often able to handle these so-called “problematic” Pokémon with little to no issue. New Strategies are to be adopted & evolve. What the player base is used to might not always match up to what one would need to consider when bringing your set of 6 to the table. Yet, the results of these surveys can lead to an overemphasis on certain Pokémon, skewing perceptions and creating a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. It’s akin to not seeing the forest for the trees. By concentrating on individual Pokémon, tier leaders and voters may overlook broader trends or issues within the metagame. It feels as though despite the closeness of recent suspect tests, these issues have now been swept under the rug and not even addressed within the last tiering surveys. I mean shit, Kyurem is still getting mentioned within these surveys. Volc was banned last DLC run and Roaring Moon has been a game ender for months longer than Gouging has, being able to largely utilize the same offensive potentials.

I understand that Gouging is different in which its able to "Pick its checks". This is not a specifically Gouging Fire condition. Volc does the same, Gambit does it, and so does Raging Bolt. All 3 of which have higher usage rates and winrates m

Despite usage and win rates showing Gouging Fire's placements and win rates, this flavor of the month's current debate, can likely be attributed largely due to the attention drawn to it through tiering surveys. However, it’s important to note that Gouging Fires presence can actually be beneficial for the metagame. It introduced new dynamics and encourages counterplay that the player base needs time to adapt and overcome, much like what with we've seen with Pokémon like Kyurem, shooting Blissey up to OU as a result of its uptick in usage surrounding its recent suspect test.

The structure of these surveys, which are accessible to all players, high and low ladder, and the results publicly posted, can reinforce confirmation bias about what is deemed to be a problem within the metagame. While many of us are glad that Pokémon such as Kingambit, Gholdengo, and Kyurem still exist within the tier, many cite them again and again more consistently than the uptick of what we see within the current metagame. If the player base is told that a Pokémon is “broken”, its usage will inevitably shoot up, even without a suspect test, not necessarily because it is inherently overpowered, but because of the perception created by the survey results.

The last bit i have is that these surveys lose me personally on a level of what has been rated. If things like Garganacl and Deoxys-S are still getting 1's, i fail to see how serious im to take these results. These pokemon have no realistic presence and are felt few and far between. It FEELS to me as though there needs to be some percentage of margin error if jokes like those mons are still getting rated even a 1 on the survey whilst the last suspect that barely passed gets 12 mentions and doesnt even make a spot on the board

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
I think I definitely started in the Ban camp, Gouging Fire obviously is an insanely strong offensive presence, and it's near unwallable on sun. After getting reqs on my own and playing a bit more, I honestly think I might be switching around. I've heard fairly convincing arguments from both ends of the spectrum and while Gouging Fire might've been extremely difficult to handle 1-2 weeks ago, the meta has greatly adapted ot it's presence in the forms of multiple checks and counters.

Breaking Swipe sets are starting to look like a fad, where mons like Zamazenta, Garganacl, Heatran and EP Landorus-T eat it alive. We're also starting to see Tera Fairy be a lot more popular as an option to counter it on mons like Great Tusk and some fringe Dondozo. Paralysis is also getting more popular than ever before with mons like TWave Dragapult, Clefable and Slowking-G all being great options at stopping it in it's tracks, with Tera Water GKing having a very good matchup into it as well. We've also seen a lot more phasing this week of SPL, with mons like Dragon Tail Dragonite, Roar Zamazenta and I've personally been using a little bit of Roar Great Tusk to decent success. These are all strategies that not only deal well with Gouging Fire, but most of the Offensive meta, you're not pigeonholded in having dedicated Gouging Fire counters because they're plentiful and deal with multiple other things as well!

As for CB Sun sets, I think they're just so telegraphed, you know what Gouging Fire is doing, if you're not ready for it that's on you. Have speed control to revenge kill it, some way to control the weather or just play expecting to have to do some sacks, Stall has historically been a matchup check kind of playstyle, but they obviously still have some ways to adapt to it.

TLDR: Do Not Ban Gouging Fire

Run Utility Umbrella Dondozo nerds

The last bit i have is that these surveys lose me personally on a level of what has been rated. If things like Garganacl and Deoxys-S are still getting 1's, i fail to see how serious im to take these results. These pokemon have no realistic presence and are felt few and far between. It FEELS to me as though there needs to be some percentage of margin error if jokes like those mons are still getting rated even a 1 on the survey whilst the last suspect that barely passed gets 12 mentions and doesnt even make a spot on the board
what's on the surveys gets decided by the council. from what i've been told, if even one member of the council voices sufficient concern about a mon, it goes on the survey. sometimes this showcases great foresight on the part of said council members—njnp was basically the only person pushing for action on gliscor at the very beginning of dlc1, so it was included on the survey even though half the playerbase was hooting and hollering at the thought of gliscor being broken, but his view was ultimately vindicated. as for the reason kyurem wasn't on the survey this time around, it's because the suspect was too recent. immediately turning around and putting it right back on the next survey might make it look like they're trying to ignore or overturn the result. of course, we all know that's not what's happening, but no one likes bad pr that can easily be avoided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)