np: OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Sandstorm (Excadrill/Thundurus Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
why not?

Smogon isn't ban happy. No one cared if Excadrill made HO difficult, that wasn't why it was banned. That's just some lame excuse for the idea of ban happy.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Because wynaut could get that one turn that Encore needed to set-up another pokemon for an easy sweep. We also banned it because we grouped NFEs with their evolved forms for some reason, not sure why.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I personally don't think that deoxys-s is broken. Can't jirachi absorb most of his attacks pretty well?? He doesn't get any fire or ground type moves, so the only thing jirachi really needs to fear is hidden power. If deoxys-s dares to taunt you, he risks getting para-hax from body slam. After paralysis kicks in, deoxys-s is pretty much useless.

offensive deo is walled by most bulky psychics and stopped pretty well by priority. It's also really weak (can't even 2HKO bulky tran with superpower iirc). Why people think it's uber is because of its crazy fast spiking and screening.

Offical wynaut expert here. (not really jk)

It was banned in 4th gen simply because it had the speed to outspeed key walls such as skarmory and hippowdon, encore then up, and then proceed to switch to a counter and get one completely free turn of set up. In early 4th gen a completely free turn of set up was deemed to be much under the support clause. Its kinda silly, but that is the exact reason why, if suspect testing continued, it would probably be unbanned along with Doexys-D, but alas 4th gen ended 1 year ago and its frozen in uber.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We're up to seven. You forgot Deoxys-S, and I forgot Mence and Wobb. (Lati@s, Wobb, Mew, Mence, Deo-S/D)
Oh yea, forgot about Deoxys-S.

Lol, mixed Deoxys-S is weak - it really can't afford to go mixed since it only has 95 base offense, but that's the only way it has a chance to break through stall. I bet Magic Guard Alakazam is a much better sweeper than Deoxys-S.

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
haha, that's ironic. Yea, we banned quite a few mons back then :x. It sorta helped that BW didn't introduce us many ubers - we only got Reshiram and Zekrom. Advance and DPP really bolstered the Ubers metagame with all the nasty weather inducers and dragons they introduced to the game (+ Deoxys-A, Darkrai, and Skymin).

Oh yea, forgot about Deoxys-S.

Lol, mixed Deoxys-S is weak - it really can't afford to go mixed since it only has 95 base offense, but that's the only way it has a chance to break through stall. I bet Magic Guard Alakazam is a much better sweeper than Deoxys-S.
I don't think it's the sweeper aspect of Deo-S that makes it allegedly broken, mainly just the unpredictability of it. Delta 2777 had a pretty good nomination for it, iff I recall correctly.

I think we started testing Wynaut towards the end of Gen 4 but by then it was too late. The set that was in fashion was the Custap set.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Being unpredictable can certainly be gamebreaking, but the unpredictability of Deoxys-S doesn't break games. I find Dragonite to make better use of unpredictability, especially if it's in a Rain Team, since you don't know whether it's gonna spam Hurricanes and Thunder, or simply start DDing and sweep you.

Team Preview also helps a lot in determining Deoxys-S's set. If it's paired with a Gorebyss, it's most likely a Dual Screener. If it's the only mon on the team that can lay hazards, it's most likely a hazard lead. If they have other mons to set up hazards, it's most likely an offensive Deoxys-S.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
While his offensive stats aren't anywhere near strong enough to consider him for a ban because of sweeping potential, we should consider that without Exadrill, Deoxys S now becomes the fastest common pokemon in OU, and is a better revenge killer because of it.

And now a serious question (It's discussion worthy, but not enough so do earn its own thread). What determines a pokemon to be "ban-worthy"? Better yet, what does a pokemon need to have to be seriously considered by the voters. Is it a lack of hard counters, a few number of checks, the ability to "win the game" given one free turn of setup (I'm looking at you Thunderus). What defines ban-worthy?

A pokemon should only be considered ban-worthy if it can destroy any team with minimal support and if its presence forces one to use a few select pokemon in most scenarios because it can not be dealt with in any other case. IMO

Like inconsistent made one poke into a one man army.

There is a certain trend in Smogon's gen 5 bans. The voters like to ban anything thats fast. Everything that was banned in gen 5 was banned partly/mainly because of their speed (manaphy and garchomp are exceptions, but their bans were mainly because of their cheap weather ability). Seriously, Thunderus, Excadrill, Swift Swim, Blaziken, Shaymin-S, Darkrai, you get the point. Even Deoxys S is getting more votes.

Of course, the pokemon has to have a little power to be banned (unlike ninjask and co.) but you get the point.

There is a certain trend in Smogon's gen 5 bans. The voters like to ban anything thats fast. Everything that was banned in gen 5 was banned partly/mainly because of their speed (manaphy and garchomp are exceptions,
Garchomp is slow? Since when? Base 102 Speed is still very fast.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The voters like to ban anything thats fast.
Moving first has always been really important in this game, especially when you have the offenses to do something with it. That's why no one is talking about Jolteon, Accelgor, Electrode, or Ninjask. They are, quite frankly, garbage even considering the fact that they are among the fastest Pokemon in the game. The only reason Ninjask is being used now is because of Baton Pass chains with Espeon. I'm sure you don't mean "anything with high speed", but I wish you could word that a little more intelligently, since it otherwise seems that you're trying to fish for another reason to discriminate against the decisions of our voters.

EDIT:
Of course, the pokemon has to have a little power to be banned (unlike ninjask and co.) but you get the point.
I didn't catch this part, but seriously, that's not even a good observation. Yes, Speed is important, always has been, but if you look at the plethora of other Pokemon who reach the same speed tiers or higher that can't even do what Pokemon like Excadrill and Thundurus do, then it relays back to the simple fact that these Pokemon are overpowered, not just fast. 'Fast' isn't why we ban things around here.

Revenge killing is a pretty shit reason to put Deoxys-S up for a ban too, especially considering how easy it is to wall. I didn't even care about Excadrill getting revenge kills, to be honest, he had way more going for him than picking off sweepers (like Rapid Spin and picking off anything that isn't a sweeper, which Deoxys-S often cannot do). I hope the people who support its banishment can come up with better reasoning than that.

I don't know why anyone would even discuss the sweeping abilities of Deoxys-S when you rarely encounter one in the first place. The vast majority are Dual Screeners, which are nearly impossible to deal with effectively.

A pokemon should only be considered ban-worthy if it can destroy any team with minimal support and if its presence forces one to use a few select pokemon in most scenarios because it can not be dealt with in any other case. IMO

Like inconsistent made one poke into a one man army.
This should be true when it comes to offensive prowess, but you neglected to mention defensive Pokemon. Maybe you weren't making that point, though. Quite a few Pokemon are Uber because of their walling capabilities.

A pokemon should only be considered ban-worthy if it can defend against any team with minimal support and if its presence forces one to use a few select pokemon in most scenarios because it can not be dealt with in any other case. IMO
A pokemon should only be considered ban-worthy if it can give unfailing gamebreaking support to any team with minimal support and if its presence forces one to use a few select pokemon in most scenarios because it can not be dealt with in any other case. IMO
fix'd

Kefka, if someone knows you have a chandelure, they're not getting rid of their chandelure counter, so how are you getting rid of any of those?\

And jelly rapes volcarona, people are just stupid and use scald over night shade for no adequately explored reason. Seriously, logically i'd hit anything i'd hit with scald with either night shade,will-o-wisp, or taunt.

Scald Hax, though. Like 9 out of ten teams rely on scald hax, which is ironicaly and sadly a bit more reliable than will o wisp.

Fun fact, DPP (25) has more ubers than BW (22) and BW has more Pokemon!

So I also wouldn't call Smogon ban happy, yet.
A lot of perspectives to note on the banning thing -.-. A lot of the perspectives would say it "isn't that bad". I'm thinking the whole ban-happy idea comes from many feeling that some bans were unnecessary combined with the different things people WANT bans for and the fact that it's early in the gen still.

Side note: Is Defog remotely viable as an alternative to spinning? I noticed its current distribution sucks (because of the inability to transfer pokes that have it from previous gens maybe?). Sure, it's non-damaging, but it also isn't blocked by ghost, and instead offers a make-shift accuracy boost. It even rids the opponent of screens, which is nice... Just a thought really, I was always under the impression that only Rapid Spin did that... Most of the Poke's that get it aren't very good... especially not as utility mons, but still.

Side note: Is Defog remotely viable as an alternative to spinning? I noticed its current distribution sucks (because of the inability to transfer pokes that have it from previous gens maybe?). Sure, it's non-damaging, but it also isn't blocked by ghost, and instead offers a make-shift accuracy boost. It even rids the opponent of screens, which is nice... Just a thought really, I was always under the impression that only Rapid Spin did that... Most of the Poke's that get it aren't very good... especially not as utility mons, but still.
Only if you want to spin for your opponent; Defog removes hazards on their side of the field, that is, the ones that you put down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)