np: NU Stage 0 - For What It's Worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Perhaps it is the amount that's used, that's fine, that's what the terms mean and I get that, that wasn't my point. My point was that there are considerably higher threats in the tier and plenty of ways to deal with half the pokemon that are moving.
I think the confusion arises from why you're talking about that. Why are you, exactly? I mean, I was kind of trying to direct some conversation about stuff like Leafeon and how good it's going to be in the new metagame, buuut you just kinda took the list of mons that are jumping up that we've known and discussed for a long time and threw out your opinions on that rather than what I actually was talking about. I don't really know what you're talking about with "higher threats" atm, considering the metagame is relatively balanced save the obnoxious hail teams. And it's not like talking about how the moving mons are beatable; like it was said, they're moving because they're used more in other tiers. People knowing how to beat them in NU doesn't change a thing about that. :(

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
@everyone
Lets forget about tiering and pokemon leaving, this thread is about the metagame AS IT IS,

However, this thread isn't for discussing those Pokemon which could leave. It is for discussing the metagame at hand,
From Tennisace

seriously...

breh

強いだね
I've found that rain is a very competent weather. One of the few teams I lost to while using hail was a fantastic rain team that mcMeghan was using. the only reason I was able to come very close to winning in the first place was my SpD snover.

I've been thinking about Gorebyss counters; has anybody ever tried lombre? it would be something like Substitute/Leech Seed/Protect/Hydro Pump. Hydro Pump is unfortunately not 100% accurate, but if anything, it's largely neutral and hits somewhat hard.

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
If you want a Gorebyss counter, you really can't go past Jynx. Dry Skin and a resistance to Ice mean that Gorebyss can't really do anything to Jynx, especially if it has Calm Mind. IMO, the only reason to use Lombre is to counter Gorebyss and if it is on a rain team

Style_Dota

Bloo Wannabe
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Water Absorb Cacturne is an extremely underrated mon. Hands down the best Slowking counter in the tier. Plus the ability to get up Spikes or a free sub is awesome

I've found that rain is a very competent weather. One of the few teams I lost to while using hail was a fantastic rain team that mcMeghan was using. the only reason I was able to come very close to winning in the first place was my SpD snover.

I've been thinking about Gorebyss counters; has anybody ever tried lombre? it would be something like Substitute/Leech Seed/Protect/Hydro Pump. Hydro Pump is unfortunately not 100% accurate, but if anything, it's largely neutral and hits somewhat hard.
Rain is pretty good down here, just about as useful as Sun imo. It's hard to have successful counters to 100% accurate Hurricanes, Thunders, and ridiculously powerful Hydro Pumps, and there are various different types that can take advantage of the downpour.
Unlike Sun, which really only has Fire, Grass, and a few things that don't like their Water weakness, Rain has Water, Electric, Flying, anything with Dry Skin or Rain Dish, Swift Swimmers including Armaldo (which is scary when it actually out-speeds you), and a bunch of things I probably forgot about. O_O
I'm really surprised I haven't seen more rain teams around, as they have the potential to be the best play style down here.

Mesprit* is THE weather starter down here. Both RD and SD, Stealth Rock, and U-turn, and you've got the perfect weather starter, especially when you take her great defenses into account. There are also quite a few capable weather sweepers down here, so once hail is gone I feel like rain will dominate the metagame (as it should).

Doesn't +2 LO HP Grass from Gorebyss OHKO Jynx after Rocks?
Jynx gets ohkoed by lava plume from Torkoal after rocks lol

Uxie is THE weather starter down here. Both RD and SD, Stealth Rock, and U-turn, and you've got the perfect weather starter, especially when you take her great defenses into account. There are also quite a few capable weather sweepers down here, so once hail is gone I feel like rain will dominate the metagame (as it should).
Mespirit I believe you mean, Uxie is RU and actually sees some OU action as a dual screener now Deo - S is gone.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yea, Mesprit. Mesprit still probably has some better things to be doing though (SubCM). Also worthy of note are both of our Prankster users, Murkrow and Volbeat.

Volbeat needs to stick to Tail Glow passing. If it tries to do anything else, it will fail.

Murkrow, however, can definitely do it. Its a little troll when it wants to be with its other sets too.

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
Why does eveyone think Volbeat is nota good weather starter? For one thing, it is one of only two usable prankster pokemon in the tier and unlike murkrow, Volbeat can hold a Damp / Heat rock. Plus, Volbeat has encore so it can get a sweeper in for free as the opponent switches out. Volbeat IMO is the best weater starter in the tier and I definitely think people should try it before making hasty conclusions

canno

formerly The Reptile
I also think Electrode is an amazing Rain Starter. He doesn't get prankster, but is the second fastest non-scarfed pokemon in the tier, second only to Ninjask. He also has a decent base SpA and STAB Thunder, but he shouldn't really be doing that. He also get's Explode and Volt Switch, allowing a sweeper to come in or to apply some pressure.

Snow Warning was banned in UU. I'm assuming that means it's banned here as well.

Whelp, so much for my BlizzSpam teams.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yes, Snow Warning (Snover really) is now banned in NU. I like having the higher tiers do my dirty work for me really. So yeah lets all calm down and enjoy this now finally balanced tier ^_^

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Gorebyss isn't broken until the January tier shift happens as Slowking / Lanturn are really common enough. After that, though, quickban?

Style_Dota

Bloo Wannabe
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Snow Warning was banned in UU. I'm assuming that means it's banned here as well.

Whelp, so much for my BlizzSpam teams.
I just came everywhere.

With Hail gone, the meta is going to see a nifty little shift, more noticably the use of Amoonguss, during these few days. Of course, the tier shift is still going to change everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)