Metagame NP: NU (beta): Welcome to the NU Age (Combusken Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Sliggoo and it's pretty decent. The bulk eviolite gives it is great and allows it to take most Special attacks.

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
252 HP 252 SpD 4 Def
Calm Nature
Sap Sipper

-Dragon Pulse
-Toxic
-Counter
-Rest

I've been having most success with this set. It's pretty simple except for Counter. It can take Physical hits a lot better because of eviolite. This allows Sliggoo to get off counter which is very helpful since Sliggoo's Dragon Pulse doesn't do shit to anything.

Bastiodon is quite good and I've come across it a few times lately. Soundproof is indeed better right now with all the sound spam going on, and sturdy is kinda unreliable anyway because of hazards, which are really common in this tier because of all the good setters.

Bastiodon is quite good and I've come across it a few times lately. Soundproof is indeed better right now with all the sound spam going on, and sturdy is kinda unreliable anyway because of hazards, which are really common in this tier because of all the good setters.
but bastiodon 4x resists chatot anyway lol. soundproof is kind of shitty on bastiodon.

He resists Bug Buzz too, but I just find Sturdy to not even work a lot of the time so the outright immunities can be preferred, and being immune to Chatter means that he also avoids confusion hax. The Sturdy + Metal Burst combo to try and stop sweeps can be good, but SR and/or Spikes are up most of the time before a sweep, realistically.

The Weather Teams I've been using have been absolutely fantastic in NU (probably the best tier for weather HO besides OU right now) Prankster Meowstic pretty much guarantees two set ups of Rain Dance / Sunny Day.

Meowstic (M) @ Damp Rock / Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef (or Def or whatever) / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Sunny Day / Rain Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Torment
- Psychic

There are no shortage of Clorophyll / Swift Swim sweepers either you've got Victreebell, Sawsbuck and Lilligant for sun and Seismitoad, Ludicolo and Omastar. Pyroar is very dangerous when supported by Sunlight while Raichu can work well with Specs Thunder. Weather is going to be a very interesting force to follow in the metagame I feel, and its so fun to use :).

Actually, on the topic of weather teams, I've been having success with rain teams the most this gen and probably my most favorite member is Qwilfish. Last gen, one of the main problems that rain teams struggled with was weakness to Toxic Spikes as the team archetype didn't really have anything to absorb them barring the lackluster Tentacool. Qwilfish functions very well on rain teams as a hazard layer/t-spike absorber, but also gets Swift Swim which makes it hit very hard even with only base 95 Attack. Also, with tools like Taunt and Destiny Bond, it punctures holes in teams pretty easily.

Qwilfish @ Life Orb/Splash Plate
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
-Spikes/Toxic Spikes
-Destiny Bond/Taunt
-Waterfall
-Poison Jab

This set sacrifices the bulk that Intimidate gives in order to make Qwilfish a fast offensive spiker in the rain. In the rain, Qwilfish forces a lot of switched considering not many things like taking a rain-boosted Waterfall, so this usually gives it a chance to set up a layer of Spikes. Destiny Bond is used towards the end of rain/the end of Qwilfish's life to get rid of one last mon on your opponents teams while Taunt can be to shut down walls that would try to soak up Qwilfish hits giving you more opportunities to set up Spikes. Waterfall and Poison Jab are obligatory STAB, and they have pretty great neutral coverage together. There are a few problem pokes that can stop Qwilfish such as Seismitoad, but Destiny Bond or Taunt usually handles them well enough. Adamant is generally the preferred nature as you want Waterfall to hit as hard as possible, but Jolly can be used if you want to out speed base 80's and neutral base 85's outside of the rain. Qwilfish is just a really great addition to rain teams, and I will gladly hype it.

So I see a lot of Archeops discussion floating around, and way too many sets with Sitrus Berry + Acrobatics when it has a much more reliable option at its disposal:

A. Chops (Archeops) @ Power Herb
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Sky Attack
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Sky Attack on Archeops hits like a dump truck, nuking anything you need gone fast or starting off a late-game sweep. The loss of heat wave means you can't beat things like Steelix or Avalugg, but they're fairly easy to remove with the help of a teammate and gaining a strong, reliable way to guarantee a full-damage acrobatics is more than worth the tradeoff imo.

Ok, all, I present to you a team that I'm really proud of that has gotten me 10-1 today, thanks to a very hax-filled match: Focus Blast miss -> Thunder Wave -> Body Slam (Magmortar is paralyzed!) -> Body Slam (it's a critical hit!) yikes!)). Go ahead and steal it if you'd like, it's really fun and showcases the use of Sticky Web, a very powerful move that many are not prepared for. Leavanny is really cool, I love using it! Anyways, here's the team for your stealing purposes:
Venomoth @ Life Orb
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Bug Buzz
- Sludge Bomb

Magmortar @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Sacred Sword

Archeops
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Earthquake

Sandslash @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor
- Toxic
[/team]

I'll eventually make an RMT on it, but for now, have fun with it!

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
How has no one even mentioned this beast yet?

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Bug Buzz
- Encore
- Final Gambit

This is the best suicide lead of NU, period. Due to its insane speed stat, it can easily outspeed any other leads and set up a layer of spikes. Encore allows him to punish any opposing leads using their own hazards by locking them into it, giving Accelgor more chance to set up extra layers of Spikes. It can also lock greedy opponents into a setup move. Final Gambit allows him to quickly nab a kill against a big threat like Venomoth, but also allows him to prevent a spin or defog from happening. Bug Buzz is a cool STAB move that hits quite hard.

What makes this set so great is that, unless you have a powerful priority move on your arsenal that is not Sucker Punch, you cannot prevent Accelgor from setting up two layers of Spikes successfully, as even scarfers will be outsped once Accelgor's Unburden activates. This is an incredible Pokemon and any offensive team should consider him.

How has no one even mentioned this beast yet?

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Bug Buzz
- Encore
- Final Gambit

This is the best suicide lead of NU, period. Due to its insane speed stat, it can easily outspeed any other leads and set up a layer of spikes. Encore allows him to punish any opposing leads using their own hazards by locking them into it, giving Accelgor more chance to set up extra layers of Spikes. It can also lock greedy opponents into a setup move. Final Gambit allows him to quickly nab a kill against a big threat like Venomoth, but also allows him to prevent a spin or defog from happening. Bug Buzz is a cool STAB move that hits quite hard.

What makes this set so great is that, unless you have a powerful priority move on your arsenal that is not Sucker Punch, you cannot prevent Accelgor from setting up two layers of Spikes successfully, as even scarfers will be outsped once Accelgor's Unburden activates. This is an incredible Pokemon and any offensive team should consider him.
If you're running Final Gambit, 252 HP > 252 SAtk, to maximize the amount of damage done.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
If you're running Final Gambit, 252 HP > 252 SAtk, to maximize the amount of damage done.
No, most of the time you will either be using it to prevent a spin/defog or you will be setting up extra Spikes rather than going for the gambit.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm going to butt in here and mention some very good pokes that I've been trying out... Since many of them are so Nu they aren't even really NU, I can usually wreak serious havoc.

download.jpg

Dusknoir @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure/Frisk (whichever one suits your purposes)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs:
-Shadow Sneak
-Eathquake
-Rock Slide
-Payback/Fire Punch/Ice Punch/Sucker Punch

Dusknoir, which is so often used for defensive or utility sets, can also be utilised as a VERY GOOD TANK. It's special defense and defense reach nosebleed levels with the combination of EVs and Assault vest, and its already passable 100 attack stat can be used in tandem with its wide range of physical moves:

-Rock Slide + Earthquake: The obvious "EdgeQuake" type-coverage combo for large amounts of coverage.
-Sadly, Shadow Sneak is the highest BP Ghost physical move Dusknoir can put to good use (Shadow Punch is just too weak), however, it does partially patch up its abysmal speed.
-The last moveslot can be anything, really. Since Dusknoir is virtually impossible to OHKO, it can use Payback/Sucker Punch to hit other ghosts relatively hard, and the Fire/Ice Punches also offer good coverage (although I prefer Fire).

Another good unexpected threat I've found is Shiftry. Shiftry thrives in NU--so many Eviolites (Doublade, Gurdurr), Lefties, and Scarfers are running around that it is Knock Off Heaven. And the best thing is that Shiftry is super-unpredictable--it can run a physical or special set, although I prefer physical to get more Knock Off power. Its vast movepool, which includes gems such as Leaf Storm, etc. can even allwo it to be used as a Specs/Scarf user itself :)
however it is destroyed by U-Turn s its best to kill any Scarfers on the opposing team before attempting a sweep

275.png

Shiftry @ BlackGlasses
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
IVs:
Jolly Nature
Moves:
-Knock Off
-Sucker Punch
-Seed Bomb
-Rock Slide / X-Scissor / Low Kick

Knock off b/c you know ;) Sucker Punch for Priority STAB, Seed Bomb for the only strong physical grass move it gets, and a variety of coverage moves for the last slot.

Anyway, as per now I think the biggest threats are basically Doublade and Wormadam-T. Ask me why if you really want to know (but im sure most already do)

I'm looking at the lists right now. Venomoth and Durant are going to be NASTY threats in NU and should be quick banned. Venomoth has that Quiver passing it likes to do. Alongside Tinted Lens, it can leave a dent at +1. Durant has (along with Hustle) the 2nd highest attack in the game behind Mega Mewtwo X. With a base 109 speed, it's gonna hit fast and hard. Best hopes to deal with it are Scarf Typhlosion & HP Fire Sceptile. Scarf Typhlosion should be paired with a bulky grass type of some sort (namely Virizion) to deal with Barbaracle as there are a LOT of Grass and Bug types in the tier at this point making Typhlosion something that could also be ban worthy. Just theorymonning a bit here. Nothing should be official as of yet.

I'm looking at the lists right now. Venomoth and Durant are going to be NASTY threats in NU and should be quick banned. Venomoth has that Quiver passing it likes to do. Alongside Tinted Lens, it can leave a dent at +1. Durant has (along with Hustle) the 2nd highest attack in the game behind Mega Mewtwo X. With a base 109 speed, it's gonna hit fast and hard. Best hopes to deal with it are Scarf Typhlosion & HP Fire Sceptile. Scarf Typhlosion should be paired with a bulky grass type of some sort (namely Virizion) to deal with Barbaracle as there are a LOT of Grass and Bug types in the tier at this point making Typhlosion something that could also be ban worthy. Just theorymonning a bit here. Nothing should be official as of yet.
Mega Mawile as well is higher than Durant ;].

The problem with Typhlosion is that it can easily be revenge killed. Even attacks from a lot of the viable NU Grass-types (Coverage (Or in some cases secondary STAB) of course) can at least 2HKO the thing.

(Speaking of NU Grass types, there is a little something I want to make a post about eventually)

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

Mr Barbacle is insulted that he hasn't been mentioned yet, being the best shell smasher ever and such.

Barbaracle @ White Herb
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Cross Chop/Brick Break/EQ
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge/Rock Slide

Barbacle has a very useable speed after a boost and incredible attack at +2. Honestly, it sweeps everything, very difficult to stop as water/rock is pretty good coverage. Unfortunately,it has low accuracy on most of its moves and it doesn't get waterfall, I mean what the hell.

TL:DR: Barbacle will eat you

you can also run wide lens if you're really concerned about accuracy, also while virizion is in the tier there is no reason not to run poison jab as coverage since it resists your stabs and is a very threatening mon in general

on a personal note ive liked the tier so far, mostly balanced despite stuff like quiverpass/durant/virizion being all over the place

Camerupt @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Mild Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earth Power
- Rock Polish
- Fire Blast

in the times of boon or bust
while i contemplated death and reality and ending it all
all the bullshit swirling in front of my eyes and inside my head
self loathing and forgone conclusions
after all i was and am only a man, just trying to prove myself,
hold onto some thing or other, wanting the love of a good woman, and being continually shat upon by whores

the pain often pierced and some times it dripped, i could get on hell of a roll
some said i was crazy , and i never claimed not to be
there was a lot of rage and cynicism.

the system and i just didn't line up, we were at odds, and i didn't want to be the one to give in
to the bullshit demands of this huge bloated piece of shit, thats where i came up with this
rock polish camerupt new meta

Last edited:
So I see a lot of Archeops discussion floating around, and way too many sets with Sitrus Berry + Acrobatics when it has a much more reliable option at its disposal:

A. Chops (Archeops) @ Power Herb
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Sky Attack
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Sky Attack on Archeops hits like a dump truck, nuking anything you need gone fast or starting off a late-game sweep. The loss of heat wave means you can't beat things like Steelix or Avalugg, but they're fairly easy to remove with the help of a teammate and gaining a strong, reliable way to guarantee a full-damage acrobatics is more than worth the tradeoff imo.
Heat Wave is so good for revenge killing Durant though.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
People are mentioning goddam wormadam but how about this:

Bouffalant @ Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 156 HP / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Charge
- Earthquake
- Megahorn / Pursuit
- Superpower / Stone edge

This hits like a truck. Unless your a ghost type it is inevitable you will be rekt, it has the coverage to smak steels and rocks and then head smash to kill what doesnt resist it. Ev's let is outspeed min lanturn, 108 lets it outspeed gogoat, but 84 is needed for min sandslash. As for the moves, megahorn and pursuit are for stuff like musharna, megahorn is immediate power but pursuit is really niche. Superpower is nice for bulky normals or to hit rock and steels hard, whilst stone edge hit archeops. Eq is required for doublade and head smash is the ultimate STAB. No need for wild charge without fish here anymore.Sap sipper is great for eating powders but reckless gives it huge power.Too bad it isnt strong enough to get the 2hko on wormadam "/

252+ Atk Choice Band Bouffalant Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Wormadam-S: 142-168 (43.8 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Bouffalant Head Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sandslash: 195-229 (55 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Bouffalant Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 150-178 (46.5 - 55.2%) -- 69.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Bouffalant Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Golem: 306-360 (84 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Bouffalant Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 306-362 (70.1 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Bouffalant Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Misdreavus: 105-124 (32.4 - 38.2%) -- 97.4% chance to 3HKO<<Missy beats it tho
252+ Atk Choice Band Bouffalant Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 120-142 (32 - 37.9%) -- 0.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

It recks all apart from ghosts, take out spiritomb, gourgeist, missy, and big missy and you should be fine. It takes 0% from any gorgeist move but you will get burnt

Heat Wave is so good for revenge killing Durant though.
252 Atk Archeops Sky Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Durant: 220-259 (85.2 - 100.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

If you have rocks up or Durant is an LO set (ideally both), your chances of killing it with Sky Attack become pretty damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)