Approved Notification sound when challenged

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I've got a tendency to miss Challenge Requests on PS due to not seeing the icon change colour in the browser. I think it's a pretty vague way of telling users they're being challenged, and a sound with the option to be muted would be much more ideal. I don't get push notifications for challenges unless I'm using the desktop client, which has its own issues and can't connect to multiple servers, so I use the browser one for flexibility.

If you need an example of this being used with success, FightCade does this perfectly and has a very similar "concept" to Pokemon Showdown. That being a netplay emulator with an IRC-style chat interface. It has the option to have different notification sounds, or the option to mute it entirely. I think this concept should be adopted by PS.

And something that is key if this goes forward: ensure that the notification sound is separate from any other SFX on PS. Many players - including myself - tend to mute battle sounds to listen to different music while using PS. Ergo, if the battle notification was lumped in there, it wouldn't work. Part of what makes the notification sound effective is having it play during these situations to say "ay fam dis bloke is tryna fite u".

If I were to suggest possible sounds, well...
  • The first few notes of the Trainer sight theme from RBY
  • Item pickup sounds (various, they're all p alright)
  • Idk a Poke Ball sound?
  • Potion use sound from BW
Tbh I haven't thought much about the sound that would be there, but those are the ones that stick out to me the most. I don't know or really care about whether it would have multiple options, so long as there is a sound available.

One concern I can see being brought up is the spammable nature of challenge requests. This is simply prevented by either using /ignore, blocking challenges, or muting the challenge notification sound (in my hypothetical implementation). I don't see this being more than a mild annoyance in these scenarios.

As for where the notification sound options would be shown, the little speaker where everything else is sounds perfectly suitable and makes the most sense.

I should mention that I have PS muted, and have for over 2 years. If a notification sound has been implemented and I haven't noticed then I'd suggest making the sound separate from the others on PS.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
We already have a generic notification sound. Is it not used for challenges?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)