Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Mark 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've stalled on playing sticker star, I'm halfway between both worlds 2 and 3. It's a fine Mario RPG as any but the lack of experience may throw some people off, you do get more health at points but mostly you reward is coins and stickers. The puzzle sections are great but you'll find by a certain point you have more puzzle pieces than puzzles (they also double as attacks). It's good fun and plays with a ton of RPG stereotypes and sometimes actively punishes item hoarders. You have to be in a much more carefree attitude with this game. I'll get back into it in the summer though.

Sticker Star is easily the weakest of the Paper Mario games. That being said, I still think it's pretty good. The sticker system was neat and the music is fucking fantastic.

In other news, I've been playing the multiplayer of Luigi's Mansion a lot. It's really fun, but if your teammates are dumbfucks, the whole experience can be ruined. I just had a game where my teammate just stood there and did nothing on the boss floor. So I ran out of health and had to lie there for 5 minutes watching the boss beating Luigi's dead body.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Sticker Star is easily the weakest of the Paper Mario games. That being said, I still think it's pretty good. The sticker system was neat and the music is fucking fantastic.

In other news, I've been playing the multiplayer of Luigi's Mansion a lot. It's really fun, but if your teammates are dumbfucks, the whole experience can be ruined. I just had a game where my teammate just stood there and did nothing on the boss floor. So I ran out of health and had to lie there for 5 minutes watching the boss beating Luigi's dead body.
I'm probably going to buy Luigi's Mansion this weekend (I got a 3DS!!!). Quick question: is it worth it? Is it worse / as good / better compared to the old one for Gamecube?

I'm probably going to buy Luigi's Mansion this weekend (I got a 3DS!!!). Quick question: is it worth it? Is it worse / as good / better compared to the old one for Gamecube?
I've never played the old one, so I can't really compare the two games. But I can definitely recommend Dark Moon, it's apparently longer than the original and combined with the multiplayer, the game definitely has longevity going for it.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
thoughts on sticker star?
An unplayable mess by Paper Mario standards.

Unlike SPM, it's not even a good game for what it is despite it not really being Paper Mario.

It's just a bad game, with a handful of terrible glitches that should've come up in testing since they can happen in normal gameplay (hello clipping through the ground to your death), and is fundamentally flawed as an RPG with no RPG elements.

I had to play it myself to make sure it was or wasn't as bad as people were saying it was, but god is it awful.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
I've never played the old one, so I can't really compare the two games. But I can definitely recommend Dark Moon, it's apparently longer than the original and combined with the multiplayer, the game definitely has longevity going for it.
All right sweet thanks! The Game Cube one was excellent and a big reason why I'm buying the new one is the nostalgia. Super excited now! 3DS games are gonna be sweet this year! Animal Crossing comes out in just a few months now! It seems like it's been so long since that 3DS trailer was posted here. SO CLOSE!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
ohmygosh i finally beat that stupid snowbunny in the MH3U demo

The game is actually fun when you finally kill something!

Any opinions on Harvest Moon: A Tale of Two Towns? Im absolutely in love with FoMT on the GBA and i wanna know bow similar it is to that harvest moon game. Also ifmit is good at all xD. Bayonetta 2 shouls be on 3DS

Tale of Two Towns was alright, imo, although nowhere near as good as FoMT. Unlike some of the other DS Harvest Moons, this one uses a crop system similar to older HM games (i.e. no stupid sunlight requirement), although you can water twice a day to speed things up if you water early enough. Instead, there's now a "freshness" mechanic where vegetables, fish, and various other ingredients and items will slowly rot over time and thus be worth less and make lower-grade recipes. The ability to choose between starting with a crop-based farm or an animal-based farm is interesting, although you can use farm space and machines you've unlocked regardless of which farm you're on (just changes which festivals you can attend, how much space you have for your animals since they travel with you, and how long it takes to get to the farm and villager's houses) and you can switch villages at the end of each month.

The main problem with the game is expanding your farm. You can only expand once per month unlike previous HMs where all you need is money and materials, and you can only expand the farm you're currently living at which means it'll take several years before you finally finish everything. On top of that, if you try to progress the story by attending the weekly cooking festivals, the farm expansion will instead be replaced by a cave expansion, meaning you can't expand your farm at all. However, expanding the cave is required to unlock the mines and a major shortcut between the two towns, meaning if you focus on that you'll be stuck with a tiny farm for a very long time. You can also unlock certain seeds earlier than normal if you win the cooking festivals, giving further incentive to push the story first.

I think I got halfway through the second year before I got tired with how slowly everything seemed to be progressing and stopped playing, but others have really enjoyed it and it's far from the worst HM game I've played. It's worth mentioning that I didn't really focus on either just expanding the farm or just the cave like some players recommend, though, so that may be a reason. On another note, I've heard that the 3DS version has some kind of bug that the DS version doesn't, but as I played the DS version I don't know what it is or how game-affecting it may be.

ohmygosh i finally beat that stupid snowbunny in the MH3U demo

The game is actually fun when you finally kill something!
If you ever wake up one day and find yourself owning a wiiU, get both versions immediately. The online play makes it 2000 times better, and the servers will be active for years to come. For solo play, the game eases you into the swing of things much more gradually (Lagombi is also a huge dickhole, no idea why they picked him for the demo). What weapon did you hunt with?

Does anyone have any proof it hurts your eyes.
It doesn't if you're older than 6. It has been found that the stereoscopic screen will damage the eye development of young children if the 3d effect is used. The parental settings on the 3ds do nothing except lock out the 3d effect from activating. Nintendo has put warnings EVERYWHERE stating this. All other claims about eye damage and eye pain are just cries for attention and trolling (or from doing stupid shit like playing in a dark room for 5 hours at a time, which would cause pain on any device).

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
What weapon did you hunt with?
The sword and shield. Everything else was just so freaking slow. I think it's weaker, but at least I get a full 3-6 hits in before I have to roll. Before it was like "puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulllllllll baaaaaaaaack" and the monster was gone before I could land a hit.

Pertaining to Sticker Star, it really is a massive mixed bag of a game. I personally loved it for its music, creative design, and its gameplay which really got to the point. Comparing it to the previous Paper Mario games makes it feel lackluster, but if you back away from that perspective for a second, it's a pretty fun game. All considering this is coming from a person who thinks Paper Mario 1 and 2 were pretty bland and loved Super Paper Mario when it came out.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sticker Star arguably has the best music of any Paper Mario game; the jazzy saxophone melodies are always peppy and enjoyable. At its heart, Sticker Star is a fun game to play. When you compare it to the other Mario RPGs (SM:RPG, PM, and TTYD), it's not even in the same league, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun. I enjoyed playing it through, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a quick game that's unlike anything you've ever played.

But real talk now: Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is easily the best game I own on 3DS. I beat it a few days ago, and it was incredible. The story that unfolds is intriguing, and the banter between Luigi and E. Gadd is hilarious. The ghosts are charming too, and they add a lot to the experience. The gameplay is tight, the collectibles are extensive, and the worlds are oozing with character. The multiplayer is a good romp too, from the little I played of it. This is definitely a game you should get.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Not counting the online multiplayer, which if you like it I'm sure is like pokemon's online multiplayer, how many hours would you estimate you can get out of Luigi's Mansion? Personally, it looks great, and detailed, and immersive, but I can't justify buying a game that I can't get an easy 30 hours out of (and then wifi).

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Not counting the online multiplayer, which if you like it I'm sure is like pokemon's online multiplayer, how many hours would you estimate you can get out of Luigi's Mansion? Personally, it looks great, and detailed, and immersive, but I can't justify buying a game that I can't get an easy 30 hours out of (and then wifi).
oh! I forgot! this is important! but also, does it have replay value, like can you restart the game and replay it a couple times or does it get boring/repetitive after you beat it the first time?

Anyone checked out the new pokemon mystery dungeon?
yeah, it's shit compared to the other games variety-wise (you'd better pick your partner wisely because that shit is NOT coming off your roster even after you beat the game and pretty much only unova pokemon are in the game), it's laughably easy and you can't send wonder mail anymore. the story's alright but theres hardly any more of it after you beat the final boss, it's easier to level up pokemon, the move level system is brilliant, the dungeons are more diverse, but that's not enough to save it in my opinion. just watch a LP on youtube to experience the story and save yourself 38 bucks.

digimon world redigitize is getting an updated port to the 3ds, imagine it got localized???
One of my current wanted games I want localized since the PSP version wasn't.

I'm kind of glad this year's 3DS releases weren't so demanding like how last year went like. I can save my wallet the hassle of killing itself for a looong time until X/Y releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)