Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Mark 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Miyamoto-led hype on the Year of Luigi Nintendo Direct and what we've seen of the gameso far, I gather that the gameplay is considerably more fleshed out this time. I hope that it lives up to expectations. I loved Luigi's Mansion very much, but it was a launch title and too short and lacked depth.

Why is Fire Emblem Awakening so difficult and possibly buggy?

At first I started on Normal Classic just because and everything seemed right. As the chapters progressed, I lost a few characters and failed to recruit some others but that wasn't enough to make me want to start over. What was enough, however, was my MVP character reverting back to starting level and losing all of my money just by turning the game on the next day. ??? I have no idea why it happened, I figured the game is going through patches or something that might mess with things but if it's seriously a glitch that randomly removes your experience and money stockpiles, I'm going to be thoroughly displeased.

SO I decided not to let that one snafu ruin the game for me, thus I created a new file, this time on Normal Casual just to beat the game and get a full feel of it. And now the game is excessively difficult and I'm having way too much difficulty on early maps. I guess yeah since it's Casual I can just slowly kill off my team until my last few units win without repercussion excluding experience hogging, but when I played on Classic I had a much easier time on basic levels.

I really enjoy the game and I'm very interested to finish the campaign and just have fun with it, but these weird little problems are starting to mar my opinion of this installment

So..who here will be buying Animal Crossing 3DS on launch day? Being a huge long-time AC fan, I'm absolutely stoked for this game, and all the new features it has to offer. June 9th is too far away for me T_T

So..who here will be buying Animal Crossing 3DS on launch day? Being a huge long-time AC fan, I'm absolutely stoked for this game, and all the new features it has to offer. June 9th is too far away for me T_T
I WILL! I've been waiting for this game far too long! Mind you, Australian launch is on June 15, but I'll still be preordering it and getting it the same day. And playing it obsessively forever after. <3 Hopefully you'll all play with me too!

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I literally checked at least every other day for a release date prior to a couple weeks ago.

Can't wait!

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I honestly am having too much fun with FE:Awakening. But boy is grinding sometimes a pain... x.x

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
So I finally beat Tales of the Abyss today. It took me 97 hours and 45 minutes (not including the massive amount of times I had to re-load due to losing or whatever, which makes it more like 110 hours), but yeah. I played it on hard mode throughout the entire game, with the exception of one battle that was downright impossible on hard mode (essentially the equivalent of Sephiroth from Kingdom Hearts), most likely because I was extremely underleveled for that battle on hard mode. Haha, I'm not much into grinding since I'm usually able to find a strategy no matter what my level is, but after 5 hours of trying, I just said fuck it and went to normal mode for that battle. The only time in which I ever bother to grind is if I'm playing an old-school RPG, since they pretty much require it.

But yeah. I really liked this game (if I was willing to play it for that long, I sure as hell better like the game). It was one of the few games where I really liked every single character, and it had an amazing story too. This was my first Tales game, so I don't really know how it is compared to the other ones, but the character development is great, and the story was consistently interesting.

My only gripe was that it's really, really easy to miss a lot of the sidequests, so I pretty much had to use a FAQ to get a lot of the sidequests. Unfortunately, by the time I started using the FAQ, I already missed some of them, but I got a vast majority of them, so it's all good. If I didn't bother with any of the sidequests though, it probably would've taken me about 65-70 hours to beat the game instead.

Maybe after a while, I'll play through the game again on the Very Hard (or MAYBE Unknown, though probably not), which I unlocked after beating the game, but yeah. It was a good game, which I would definitely play again.

So I finally beat Tales of the Abyss today. It took me 97 hours and 45 minutes (not including the massive amount of times I had to re-load due to losing or whatever, which makes it more like 110 hours), but yeah. I played it on hard mode throughout the entire game, with the exception of one battle that was downright impossible on hard mode (essentially the equivalent of Sephiroth from Kingdom Hearts), most likely because I was extremely underleveled for that battle on hard mode. Haha, I'm not much into grinding since I'm usually able to find a strategy no matter what my level is, but after 5 hours of trying, I just said fuck it and went to normal mode for that battle. The only time in which I ever bother to grind is if I'm playing an old-school RPG, since they pretty much require it.
Assuming this is the boss in the cave in the snow (Did you remember to steal Tutti?!), it's quite weird. It's really a matter of setting up tactics properly; I got reamed by her like ten-twenty times, even on easy mode.

Then I made some minor adjustments to equipment or tactics, and then all of a sudden I started beating her (on hard mode) so easily that I didn't even have time to steal Tutti while I was doing it. My second play through, I beat her on the ultra-hard difficulty on my second attempt (but I'd had the benefit of the best CCores for the entire game, sooooo...)

Maybe after a while, I'll play through the game again on the Very Hard (or MAYBE Unknown, though probably not), which I unlocked after beating the game, but yeah. It was a good game, which I would definitely play again.
The worst part about missing certain sidequests on your first playthrough is that you can't get certain achievements for the Travel Book, which means you actually need to do a further two playthroughs to get everything. Annoying.

I enjoyed the game also, especially finding all the special costumes for the characters.

Oh gosh, can't wait to get one of these. Putting it off for now because of college classes and such, but I've got a long list of games to get when I finally purchase it.

Paper Mario Sticker Star looks pretty good (love the series, though don't know how I feel about taking out partners) and obviously Ocarina of Time is a classic. Then there's Dark Moon and X&Y coming out in the near future.

I will waste so much time on these games

Did Luigi's Mansion 2 come out yet?
No, release date (depending on where you live) is anywhere from March 20th to March 28th

so excited. I have so many good memories with the first one, although I'll admit I was terrified of the game at the time being so young

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
tales of the abyss was cool but i couldn't find any sidequests that people talk so much about. i got in about 25 hours and then kind of lost interest. the story really pulled me in at the start and then faded away -- if it had finished strong it would have been one of my favorite games ever because the combat was really great

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
The problem is because you only played for 25 hours. Did you even get past the halfway point? Things pick up afterwards jsyk.

My favorite game on the 3DS is Sonic Generations. Great graphics, excellent gameplay, great music, the only thing it was missing was a good storyline.

25 hours is a lot of gameplay, and considering there's way more than 25 more left in the game at that point there's absolutely no reason to continue if you're not interested in the game.

It does pick up, but don't play it because you feel obligated to finish or something.

Paper Mario Sticker Star looks pretty good (love the series, though don't know how I feel about taking out partners) and obviously Ocarina of Time is a classic. Then there's Dark Moon and X&Y coming out in the near future.
Don't want to burst any bubbles, but as a long time Mario RPG fan (Seven Stars, M&L, and of course Paper Mario) I was largely disappointed with Sticker Star. The combat system is interesting, but wasn't as engaging for me as the other games. There's literally no reason to fight enemies, as it cuts into your limited amount of stickers and you get no reward for it besides money, which is only spent at buying more stickers. Since the fights aren't that interesting, it failed rather spectacularly at holding my attention (though that might just be me).

Maybe the upcoming Mario & Luigi 4 will be more interesting, but I'll go back to wishing they could make a Seven Stars sequel :(

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Assuming this is the boss in the cave in the snow (Did you remember to steal Tutti?!), it's quite weird. It's really a matter of setting up tactics properly; I got reamed by her like ten-twenty times, even on easy mode.

Then I made some minor adjustments to equipment or tactics, and then all of a sudden I started beating her (on hard mode) so easily that I didn't even have time to steal Tutti while I was doing it. My second play through, I beat her on the ultra-hard difficulty on my second attempt (but I'd had the benefit of the best CCores for the entire game, sooooo...)
I tried stealing Tutti. I really, really tried. I beat her 4 times on Normal mode, trying each time, and in the last 3 attempts, I used Void Tempest with a full green FSC for literally the whole battle. After 4 times I just said fuck it. Haha, oh well.

From the FAQs I was reading, it's supposed to be a 20% steal rate. That either changed on the 3DS version, because those were PS2 FAQs, or I was just facing a ton of hax. Oh well. I really just wanted to see the cutscene to finish Jade's backstory, since all cutscenes including him are full of awesome.

The worst part about missing certain sidequests on your first playthrough is that you can't get certain achievements for the Travel Book, which means you actually need to do a further two playthroughs to get everything. Annoying.

I enjoyed the game also, especially finding all the special costumes for the characters.
Haha, well that's not happening. As much as I like this game, it's a bit too long for me to play through 2 extra times. I definitely liked finding all the special costumes though.

The Star of Malkuth costume for Natalia is by far my favourite. xD Although I'm biased because Natalia's my favourite, followed by Tear.

The problem is because you only played for 25 hours. Did you even get past the halfway point? Things pick up afterwards jsyk.
Yeah...25 hours is pretty much only about 1/3 through the game. I'm actually kind of surprised they were able to fit this entire game on a single cartridge considering how obscenely long it is, and how many sidequests there are. Not to mention it's a really good port of a PS2 game, which means they had to pour a lot into the graphics (at least I'd imagine they would).

I tried stealing Tutti. I really, really tried. I beat her 4 times on Normal mode, trying each time, and in the last 3 attempts, I used Void Tempest with a full green FSC for literally the whole battle. After 4 times I just said fuck it. Haha, oh well.

From the FAQs I was reading, it's supposed to be a 20% steal rate. That either changed on the 3DS version, because those were PS2 FAQs, or I was just facing a ton of hax. Oh well. I really just wanted to see the cutscene to finish Jade's backstory, since all cutscenes including him are full of awesome.
If I remember correctly, you can only steal it on Hard mode or above?

It is a pain in the ass, though. I had both Guy and Luke with full green on their stealing attacks and just had them set up to spam it continuously until it stole, then switched to my normal tactics.

Haha, well that's not happening. As much as I like this game, it's a bit too long for me to play through 2 extra times. I definitely liked finding all the special costumes though.
Yeah, I played through a second time, but it would take a lot to get me to play the whole thing a third time again, even with all the bonus stuff activated.

The Star of Malkuth costume for Natalia is by far my favourite. xD Although I'm biased because Natalia's my favourite, followed by Tear.
Star of Malkuth is pretty good. My main party was Luke/Tear/Anise/Jade, but the Costumes I used were:
Luke (Berserker or Viscount); Tear (Cool Chick); Anise (Little Devil); Jade (Evil Fonist?); Natalia (Beloved Princess or Star of Malkuth); Guy (Dashing Gent or Hopeless Dreamer).

Well, I bought the 3DS for fire emblem pretty much, and it is so worth it. I'm happy with the return of supporting, the story and cutscenes, world map, some of the DLC, and the levels. However, the game seems so unbalanced. Lunatic is almost impossible early game (you have to use pair up frederick spam as the only option) but hard mode is way too easy mid to late game. The OP pair up and skills make it so you can take any good character and boost their stats by 5+ in every important category. This coupled with S support and the fact that nearly every character has phenomenal growth rates makes every chapter really easy once you get rolling with the promotions, with master seals being practically free. Still an amazing game though. I guess I should just shut up and play more lunatic...

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Any thoughts on the Mystery Dungeon demo? I haven't gotten very far into it at all. I love the colors and scenery though.

I was a big fan of Red/Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky and I tried out the demo.

I honestly wasn't super impressed with it. The 3D graphics weren't anything special and some of the animations weren't great. The map was harder to read than the last two games. It felt like more of the same thing but with 3D graphics. I did like the change to the move system, as well as actually being able to pick your starter, but the selection was seriously lacking.

I'm gonna pass on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)