Project Next Best Thing

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Approved by etern | OP adapted from SV OU Version | Hosted by Pokeslice & Corthius

The Next Best Thing is a project where the users can submit & search for various creative, but viable Pokemon sets, utilising the power of various underlooked & unexpected moves/items, or a combination of both in a set. Here, you'll find many sets that might seem vague, but in reality carve out a niche in the metagame. These sets are excellent at acting as a surprise factor, which can totally change the outcome of a match. You may also find how potent a Pokemon can be, by looking, playing & even creating some out-of-the-box sets, that are definitely unworthy at first sight. The sets here posted should obviously be viable, avoiding jokes such as Choice Band Blissey that can't be taken serious. The hosts reserve the right to reject any such sets. Before submitting any set, you must read the Procedures and Rules of the thread.

• Every cycle (1 per week), a new Pokemon will be chosen for participants to create a new, creative yet effective set.
  • All the existing sets (or WIPs) on the Smogdex are disallowed.
  • The participants will get 4 days to submit their sets in this thread - Friday-Monday.
  • Voting will be held during the remaining three days of the week - Tuesday-Thursday
  • All the winning sets will be kept in the Hall of Fame (see next reply).

• Be as creative as possible, but your creativity must also show viability.
  • You may only post 1 set per cycle.
  • You are not allowed to take sets from Smogdex & WIPs.
  • Making some minor changes in the existing sets of Smogdex won't work.
  • Set explanation is a must.
  • Be detailed with your sets & replies as much as you can. You may also include replays, teammates options, threats, usage tips, & even a team built around the set.
  • You are allowed to reserve your set in this forum, but the reservation expires after 24 hours.
  • Please name your sets based on the moves & items, & not random funny names.
  • You aren't allowed to copy anyone else's set, not even the reserved ones.
  • You can't vote for your own set.
  • Creating new accounts to vote, manipulating others to vote for your sets & other such tricks are strictly forbidden. If found, you'll be banned from posting here.
  • Try to avoid double-posting.
  • If you have any queries regarding this post, prefer asking me or pokeslice personally through Conversations or Profile Posts. Avoid asking questions on this forum.
  • Follow the Forum Rules & be polite with other members here.
  • At last, the most important rule. Have Fun!

---

Pokeslice

Thanks for the Dance
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
For the first Pokemon of SV NU's Next Best Thing, we've decided to see how people explore the newly freed...

WEEK 1: FLORGES

:sv/florges:
Florges was originally banned from the tier back when we had almost no counterplay thanks to its potent Calm Mind sets coupled with the nuclear breaking power of Choice Specs, but this time around, it might be here to stay with our newfound Steel- and Poison-types. That is, unless someone can find the way to break the pesky flower, so show us what you got!

For those of you new to Next Best Thing, here's an example of a great post from last gen from Corthius that shows what this project is all about!

Tera Ground Calm Mind
&
WishTect Mono Attack

The deadline to submit this week is Friday, November 17th!

Last edited:

LOrd Fernado

I COULD BE BANNED!
Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
IVs: 0 Atk
Tera Type: Psychic
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Stored Power
- Synthesis
this is similar to the cm tera ground set, but sorta copies cresselia in a way with stored power and a different tera type with STAB stored power

Last edited:

Wadley

formerly outbackrabbit
is a Tiering Contributoris the defending NU Circuit Champion
NUPL Champion
1699958140003.gif

Florges @ Salac Berry
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Endure
- Endeavor
- Moonblast
- Psychic

This set let you keep the offensive power of specs and and threats common checks like Copperajah,Chansey and Salazzle if you get of that combo of endure and endeavor at plus 1 speed you are faster then everything besides scarf users and the Eectrode twins and jolteon Modest psychic 1hko Salazzle from full. Weaknesses is priority users and scarf users

Last edited:
Florges (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Copycat

Yeah it's copycat, at first look it doesn't seem that threatening but untill you try it yourself and make some godplays like switching into a Goodra scald to hit an incoming Coalossal or Salazzle for a solid 2hko you haven't played real mons. Psychic is there to hit poison types feel free to swap it for a tera blast ground/fire.

Other fun interactions are:
  1. Pairing it with an overheat eject packer (Mainly Camerupt) and having Florges overheat with copycat onto an incoming steel type.
  2. Pairing it with a slow volt switcher and having it volt switch with copycat, extremely cool if you pair it with a magnet puller.
  3. Switching it into a tatsugiri rapid spin and just spinning hazzards away.
  4. Crippling switch ins with a choice scarf.
  5. Possibilities are endless unless your opponent puts bad moves on their mons.
Timid outspeeds Jolteon, pairing it with a vikavolt allows it to outspeed even scarfers with webs up and allows it to pivot with a copy cat volt switch so give that combo a go.

Last edited:

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Florges @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Tera Type: Water
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Chilling Water
- Synthesis

Water is a generally good defensive typing, and Tera Water makes Chilling Water an actually useful STAB attack that also makes certain physical attackers like Scyther and Glastrier less capable of breaking past Florges.

Florges @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Ground
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Tera Blast
- Moonblast

When in doubt, hit it harder. Specs is a walking nuke and has coverage to beat 90% of the tier. Yeah, losing to some steel-types suck, but you just Tera and delete the things that look at Florges funny lmao

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Florges @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Charm
- Synthesis

Basically same idea as rab. This looked like the last possible idea left. Main difference is you keep tera poison to avoid toxic.

Pokeslice

Thanks for the Dance
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Florges (F) @ Fairy Feather
Timid Nature
- Trailblaze
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Synthesis

Offensive Florges can be a powerful breaker in its own right, but with Trailblaze boosting you just faster than Jolteon, you can also turn yourself into a potent cleaner in an end game or anti offense tool!

Last edited:

MeeMoon78

Banned deucer.
1700070123498.png

Florges @ Assault Vest
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Giga Drain
- Draining Kiss
- Psychic
- Tera Blast

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:sv/Florges:
Florges @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Skill Swap
- Synthesis
- Calm Mind

This is similar to the likes of Rabia and Poh's sets, however, we are out here using Skill Swap. Skill Swap allows Florges to better check Jolteon, preventing it from swapping out and back in repeatedly. This set has enough Speed EVs to outspeed 56 Spe Gligar, allowing it to obtain its Immunity to not get Poisoned by it or Salazzle. You also benefit from Shaymin and Chansey's Natural Cure, Tatsugiri's Storm Drain, Goodra's Sap Sipper, and any weather abuser's 2x Speed ability. Tera Water pairs well with it in particular versus the aforementioned Jolteon and Goodra while being your standard Bulky Water-type everybody loves.

:sv/Florges:
Florges @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Skill Swap
- Synthesis
- Calm Mind

This is similar to the likes of Rabia and Poh's sets, however, we are out here using Skill Swap. Skill Swap allows Florges to better check Jolteon, preventing it from swapping out and back in repeatedly. This set has enough Speed EVs to outspeed 56 Spe Gligar, allowing it to obtain its Immunity to not get Poisoned by it or Salazzle. You also benefit from Shaymin and Chansey's Natural Cure, Tatsugiri's Storm Drain, Goodra's Sap Sipper, and any weather abuser's 2x Speed ability. Tera Water pairs well with it in particular versus the aforementioned Jolteon and Goodra while being your standard Bulky Water-type everybody loves.
How is it stopping jolteon from volt switching tho? It comes in without volt absorb and gets voted on immediately, or if they click CM/tbolt, they just volt out the next turn before you can use skill swap? I get that it's a fun set but it seems close to useless imo.

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
:Florges:
Florges @ Grassy Seed
Tera Type: Grass
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Synthesis

This Florges set acts as a set up sweeper under Grassy Terrain. Grassy Seed gives Florges a +1 Def boost, allowing it to bolster more attacks on the physical side. Moon Blast acts as a STAB attack, while Stored Power becomes a nuke after just one or two Calm Mind boosts. What's really cool is that you have tera Grass on this set, working really well in tandem with your ability Flower Veil. It prevents stat drops (probably a bit less relevant but not to be understated either) and more importantly, it prevents status from the opposing side, making it immune to Toxic/Paralysis, which usually cause a lot of trouble for these slow set up sweeper.

MeeMoon78

Banned deucer.
:Florges:
Florges @ Grassy Seed
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Synthesis

This Florges set acts as a set up sweeper under Grassy Terrain. Grassy Seed gives Florges a +1 Def boost, allowing it to bolster more attacks on the physical side. Moon Blast acts as a STAB attack, while Stored Power becomes a nuke after just one or two Calm Mind boosts. What's really cool is that you have tera Grass on this set, working really well in tandem with your ability Flower Veil. It prevents stat drops (probably a bit less relevant but not to be understated either) and more importantly, it prevents status from the opposing side, making it immune to Toxic/Paralysis, which usually cause a lot of trouble for these slow set up sweeper.
ngl id replace moonblast or stored power with something to hit steel types probably tera fire so you hit bronzong and scyther

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
ngl id replace moonblast or stored power with something to hit steel types probably tera fire so you hit bronzong and scyther
Whats Bronzong gonna do?
Scyther is only a threat after I tera.
I do not care for either.
Copper doesn't exist.

MeeMoon78

Banned deucer.
Whats Bronzong gonna do?
Scyther is only a threat after I tera.
I do not care for either.
Copper doesn't exist.
bronzong is gonna tank both ur moves and hit u with gyro ball. Copperjah beats you if you don't have a move to hit it. And Scyther is still a threat before u tera because it can just swords dance.

bronzong is gonna tank both ur moves and hit u with gyro ball. Copperjah beats you if you don't have a move to hit it. And Scyther is still a threat before u tera because it can just swords dance.
0 Atk Bronzong Gyro Ball (74 BP) vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 90-108 (25 - 30%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

????????

I originally submitted RestTalk Metronome, which did not work like I thought it did, so I decided to actually try:

Misty Terrain Florges
:sv/Florges-white:
Florges-Yellow (Florges-White) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Misty Terrain
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain

My backup plan was terrain, so behold! When a Salazzle tries to magically come in on your Florges, click the ol' misty terrain button, and it can't legally poison you! It mostly opens up a free switch into a poison resist that is suddenly immune to burn or poison from Salazzle.

I haven't play much SV NU so I can't build for this meta, and this team does not use misty terrain well (because my first idea was grassy), but look! A replay where I was able to click misty terrain on an incoming salazzle! Naturally I'm using a team that isn't too bothered by status, and my 2 terrain-immune flying types suffer hard due to status, but the idea is there! This is somewhat viable!

EDIT: Set did not work because someone at Nintendo thought it would be broken for sleep talk to call metronome or something, so I need to make a set that actually works. Give me a few hours (and I'm actually gonna test it this time. I was gonna test the other set but Midwest Emo Band beat me to it. ty)

The sheer amount of Florges sets in this thread is insane, and I liked the idea of milking this mon for everything it's worth. Haven't played NU in forever, so this set naturally plays perfectly into the meta.

RestTalk Metronome
:sv/Florges-yellow:
Florges-Yellow (F) @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Metronome

Not only does the yellow color make it stand out and strike fear into everyone afraid of sunshine, but it's also supposed to be immortal. EVs and Tera Steel are used to make Florges as bulky as possible, while flipping its weaknesses into resistances with a Tera. RestTalk is used over other recovery options as to generate free turns for sleep talk to call Metronome and to strengthen Florges' immortality.
My backup plans were terrain related, but if I'm using a gimmicky status move I might as well use THE gimmicky status move.

Last edited:
- Sleep Talk
- Metronome.
So I was wondering if you could actually call for a metronome with sleep talk, turns out either I'm the unluckiest person in the world and lost 44 sleep talk coin flips in a row (had 6 mons with rest/sleep talk/metronome) or it doesn't work. Could be used as a way to turn moonblast into a coinflip though so it's still cute!

So I was wondering if you could actually call for a metronome with sleep talk, turns out either I'm the unluckiest person in the world and lost 44 sleep talk coin flips in a row (had 6 mons with rest/sleep talk/metronome) or it doesn't work. Could be used as a way to turn moonblast into a coinflip though so it's still cute!
Lol you can't. I didn't check or test this set at all so rip.

Time to make a new submission

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)