Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 240 HP / 36 Atk / 216 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Heat Crash
- Precipice Blades
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge
(I don't know how to EV defensively)
You need at least a couple of sentences explaining how the set works. Heavily considered adding HP Ice to the list of bans since I consider it pretty trash, but I didn't so shoot for it. You have plenty of time to figure out a spread that works though if there is no explanation by the deadline this set will not be considered for voting

bumboclaat

Primal Groudon used Overheat
is a Pre-Contributor
Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 40 Def / 40 SpD / 104 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Overheat
- Rock Tomb / Toxic / Stone Edge

Set Origins: After every time I've had a burst of motivation to build in the aftermath I inevitabily say I have x number of teams in my builder and x Primal Groudons with Overheat. That is still mostly true (I'm growing). I've been talking about SD + Overheat Pdon would be amazing on the right team. I have built a team with this set, but I have yet to test it so I won't post it yet. I'm planning on doing a teamdump after I lose in seasonals this weekend and it'll probably be there.

Nature / EVs: So the first thing to decide is what direction to take this sort of set. Obviously one is not going to run w/ an Impish, Adamant, or Jolly nature on this sort of set. This sort of set could take a more offensive approach, but knowing my building and playing habits retaining a reasonable amount of defensive utility was the direction I wanted to go. This spread surives +3 Zac-C CC after Rocks and is 4HKOed by defensive Pogre Ice Beam. There might be a couple of other signficant attacks I'm forgetting. The speed outpaces uninvested base 90s.

Moves: First three are pretty self explanatory. The last slot is fairly flexible. Initially I went for Stone Edge, but between a small roll and the miss chance it is a 70% chance to OHKO Ho-Oh which isn't great given that I wanted to retain defensive utility. Rock Tomb does enough to Ho-Oh and Overheat cooks it if it teras. Rock tomb has the speed dropping utility while Toxic is Toxic.

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/6b5006f4b7c8d0a0
1714581933797.png

A very similar set to Defensive Primal Kyogre but combining Bulk Up and Rest on a behemoth like Primal Groudon makes it pretty annoying for Fat Balance and sometimes Bulky Offense teams to deal with consistently, being able to come in on Ho-Oh and Primal Kyogre much more easily without fearing status conditions like Toxic, boosting to win in the mid-to-late-game. Earthquake and Rock Tomb are preferred over Precipice Blades and Stone Edge due to their better accuracy, as well as the latter's utility for teammates, similar to Scald burns from Primal Kyogre. The given EV spread not only lets Primal Groudon avoid the 2HKO from Choice Band Marshadow's Poltergeist, but it lets Primal Groudon survive attacks that could typically knock it out, such as Arceus-Ground's unboosted Judgement after Stealth Rock, Choice Specs Tera Dragon Eternatus's Dynamax Cannon after Stealth Rock while minimizing the odds of being 2HKO'd by Life Orb Yveltal's Dark Pulse (to 22.3%).

Just like Defensive Primal Kyogre, it's ideal to not use this thing in the early-game, not only because of surprise factor, but because even with Rest its hit-taking capabilites are limited. Due to the lack of hazards or utility of typical Defensive Primal Groudon, or the damage output of Eruption or Double Dance Primal Groudon, it often relies on teammates such as Arceus-Water or Necrozma-DM to set hazards and status conditions, while also appreciating Giratina-O to remove hazards (as well as acting as a Primal Groudon or Zygarde check, which this set lacks compared to Primal Kyogre).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)