New To Competitive Battling

I used the Smogon database to compile my team. I just started playing Pokemon again and I'm pretty sure this team is baaad. One thing that I do not want to change is the Umbreon. You can suggest different moves for it but I want to keep Umbreon on my team. Other than that I am open to suggestions.

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP/216 Def/54 SAtk
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spe)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Ice Beam

Swampert lead gives my opponent the much needed resistance to Electric. I can set up Stealth Rock right away to combat Sally, Gyarados, and many other Pokemon that are weak to rock. Roar disrupts my opponent and it can help me get the most out of Stealth Rock. A STAB Earthquake is always nice to have and Ice Beam helps against dragons.
---
Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 200 HP/252 Atk/56 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Superpower
- U-Turn
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch

This is one of my physical sweepers. After taking some advice I decided to go with the Choice Band version. I like being able to hurt things that are going to switch out with Pursuit and U-Turn will be a nice addition to Scizor's arsenal. Hopefully I can switch this in against something its resistant to and start KOing.
---
Umbreon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP/164 Def/92 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Payback

This is a support/annoyer Umbreon. Toxic helps take down big foes slowly while Wish can let me heal any of my Pokemon. After using Toxic, Taunt makes it so they can't remove the Poison with attacks. Since this Umbreon (usually) attacks second Payback is a really nice attack to have.
---
Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/64 Atk/176 Def/16 Spe
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Staller, pretty much. It takes a lot of hits before it is KO'd. Spikes+Stealth Rock+Whirlwind = Awesome. Brave Bird is just so I can do some damage with it and it helps against Fighting types.
---
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Roar
- Surf
- Rest

Roar helps me get more damage out of my Steal Rocks and Spikes. Suicune acts as a tank for the team and after a few Calm Minds this thing can wreak some havoc.
---
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash fire
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spe/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spe, -SDef)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Hidden Power Grass
The combination of Fire Blast and Earth Power hit a lot of things that like to switch into Heatran. Explosion is for things with big HP that I need to KO quickly. I chose to go with Hidden Power Grass instead of Ice so I can take out opposing Swamperts and I figured that I didnt really need Hidden Power Ice since my Scizor can handle Dragons quite nicely. Switching into a Fire attack that was meant to KO my Scizor is what this guy is good at doing.
---

I'm not sure if using Skarmory and Suicune is a good idea. Should I pick one and stick with it? Something I realized while I was typing this up was that I need a Special Wall. Also should I be using Weavile AND Scizor? Is having two physical attackers a bad thing? Haha, I'm so lost.

It might help to explain the role of each pokemon. It's not always obvious from the chosen moves. For example, I'm curious as to why your Choice Band Weavile has no Brick Break, why your Umbreon has 164 speed EVs and why your Suicune has Rest but lacks Sleep Talk.

I don't know the answers to those questions. I know it sounds really noobish but like I said, I AM new to this. Can you give me some suggestions?

Thanks for the links.

I'll try to find a replacement for the Crobat. I ran out of ideas for my last Pokemon and I wanted to try Crobat out.

I suggest joining Battling 101 if you honestly have no idea what each Pokemon is doing and why you chose certain moves. It'd be appreciated if you read the rules (specifically #3!) before posting another team. [You also forgot to mention an EV spread for Skarmory.] Your current try at competitive Pokemon has been stunted with the "every team needs one physical attacker, one special attacker, one physical wall, one special wall, etc." mindset; your Pokemon should be flexible in playing off eachothers resistances and uses. Having compound "walls" isn't the same thing as having compound counters. All I can suggest is you lurk more and abide by the rules, possibly looking at other RMTs and joining the next open round of Battling 101.

I edited my post and tried to explain each Pokemon to the best of my abilities. I also removed Crobat for PorygonZ. How does it look?

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Alright, I want to adress a couple of things. Firstly, you have two Pokemon weak to Electric ( Skarmory, Suicune) While having no resist. Secondly, you have three Pokemon weak to Fire ( Scizor, Skarmory, Weavile ) while having one resist. You have three Fighting weak Pokemon ( Umbreon, Weavile, Porygon-Z) while having no resist. Basically, the selection of Pokemon on your team are good, however, the synergy between them is lacking quite a bit. Let us attempt to fix this! Alright so firstly, You really need a Pokemon that can take Electric attacks for your team because as of right now, a Pokemon carrying an Electric attack such as Zapdos can come in on Suicune, Scizor, Skarmory, and then use ThunderBolt to heavily hit all of the Pokemon that are currently on your team. So, what Pokemon can help remedy this problem? Well, there are a few options. The best option for your team right now seems to be a Rotom forme. Why? Well, one, Rotom provides your team with a great Fighting immunity in addition to the much needed Electric resist. Rotom also has great synergy with Scizor. Rotom is weak to Dark and Ghost while Scizor resist those types. In addition to that, the Pokemon that give Rotom the hardest time in OU, Tyranitar, is taken care of quite easily by Scizor, making them great partners. For your team, I would suggest you use Will-O-Wisp,Overheat, ThunderBolt, Shadow Ball, 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 Spe, Timid Nature. That is most likely the best set for your team and I will once again explain why. Every Rotom should carry either WoW or Reflect for Tyranitar. Rotom actually works as a great lure for Tyranitar, burning it as it comes in and meaning it is a lot easier for it to take it on. Tyranitar is loathe to Pursuit once it has been burned in case you stay in and it does laughable damage, so once you have crippled it with a Burn, you can safely go to a Crunch resist (Scizor!). WoW will still let you cripple Salamence. ThunderBolt is over Discharge because the increased power boost from Discharge to Thunderbolt helps to offset the loss of SpA EVs, and means you can still do decent damage to Water-types. Also, there is nothing more infuriating than accidentally paralysing a Tyranitar with Discharge, and it Pursuiting you to death because you couldn't burn it. Even with no SpA EVs, Overheat will get the KOs on Lucario and Scizor, so you don't need to worry there.

I'd like to comment on is Scizor. Right now, he is a fairly basic sweeper, also, one fairly easily countered by Zapdos, Heatran, etc, forcing Scizor to switch out once you pull of a Swords Dance. By switching to a Choice Band Scizor, you will not only have the ability to powerfully scout and adjust to the opponent's team with U-turn and trap+kill threatening walls and sweepers with Pursuit, but you will also be able to revenge kill with even more power than before. I suggest Choice Band Adamant 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe Bullet Punch U-turn Superpower Pursuit. There are actually a couple of ways you can go with the EV's. The EV's I listed first allow Scizor to be able to outspeed most Skarmory, Metagross, and CB Tyranitar with the 56 Speed EV's. That EV's invested into HP will also help you take hits from Latias allowing you to Pursuit it for the kill. If you would like a Scizor that is more Specially Defensively oriented that is more suited switching into opposing Latias and Gengar's Special Attacks to Pursuit them, try a set with 24 HP / 252 Atk / 176 SpD / 56 Spe. With the Special Defense EV's, you will be able to take Draco Meteor's and Focus Blast's more effectively. The extra bulk provided by not losing 10% a turn attacking will often come in handy, as well (as will the extra HP EVs), given Scizor's awesome ability to switch in. You might be thinking that your Weavile already has a Choice Band, however, Scizor is generally a superior version of Weavile. Weavile has that nasty Stealth Rock weakness, meaning the amount of times it can actually switch-in is limited. Scizor on the other hand can easily switch-in on its many resistances and start doing what it needs to do which is scouting and revenge killing. Scizor still allows your team to have some ensurance against those pesky Dragon types, since a Choice Band Bullet Punch from Scizor will take off a chunk of damage from most Dragon types except Kingdra, whom your team can handle fine otherwise.

Alright, before I get into replacing Weavile, I want you to replace Porygon-Z with Heatran. Heatran will add that useful Fire immunity to your team since you currently have three Pokemon weak to it ( Skarmory, Scizor, Weavile ) Heatran is arguably a better revenge killer than Porygon-Z too since Heatran has much better resistances to take advantage of, allowing him to come in more easily. Flash Fire is great for your team because like I already said, you have three Pokemon weak to Fire!. Heatran also has amazing synergy with Scizor, Skarmory, the Rotom I suggested and Suicune all combined! Suicune takes the Water attacks aimed at Heatran, Heatran takes the Grass attacks aimed at Suicune, Heatran takes Fire attacks for your team in addition to being able to revenge kill threats better than Porygon-Z will do. I suggest using Fire Blast, Earth Power, Explosion, Hidden Power Grass, 252 Speed, 252 SpA, 6 HP, Naive. Fire Blast is there for STAB and if you manage to get a Flash Fire boost, Heatran can cause a lot of damage quickly with a powerful Fire Blast. Earth Power provides great coverage alongside Fire Blast since it hits opposing Heatran for super effective damage while grabbing a hit on Pokemon such as Tyranitar, a Pokemon that likes switching into Heatran. Explosion allows Heatran to take care of any Blissey or Bulky Waters that may switch-in to you. The option of Hidden Power Grass or Ice is based on your team. Hidden Power Grass allows you to hit those Swampert's and various other Water types that trouble your team while Hidden Power Ice grabs a hit on Salamence, a Pokemon that your Scizor can cover quite well with Bullet Punch.

Now onto replacing Weavile. Weavile is just adding another Fighting and Fire weakness to your team, which does not help your team at all. A Pokemon such as Swampert will fit in greatly into your team since 1) It provides Stealth Rock support ( I know you have Stealth Rock on Skarmory, however, Skarmory is better of using Spikes, and Stealth Rock is better of being used early in the match just in case a Gyarados or Salamence shows up to cause trouble) 2) Swampert adds some extra insurance against Salamence and a myriad of other threats such as Tyranitar, Heatran, Metagross, Electivire, Zapdos and Jolteon without Hidden Power Grass, etc. Swampert also provides your team with a good Electric immunity. For a Swampert lead, use it over Weavile with this moveset: Stealth Rock, Earthquake, Roar, Ice Beam 240 HP/216 Def/54 SpA and a Relaxed Nature. Swampert has the ability to take on a multitude of leads such as Metagross, Infernape, Aerodactly, Heatran, etc. Combine that with Swampert's amazing bulk, you have got yourself a great lead. Earthquake is for STAB, Ice Beam provides coverage against Dragons and Grass types that like to switch in and Stealth Rock is great move to have early up on the field to limit the amount of times some specific threats can come in. Roar allows you to phaze away some Bulky Stat uppers such as CursePert. One thing, Swampert is weak to Grass types such as Celebi right? Well, you have Heatran and Scizor to take care of said Grass types such as Celebi, making the three pair up to work great together! With Stealth Rock now on Swampert, use Spikes on Skarmory. Spikes will add to the residual damage for your team, making it easier for your sweepers to rack up some nice damage!

EDIT: The Rotom forme I suggest you use is Rotom-h. Click on that! It will provide you with all the information you need to know about Rotom-h. Also, I suggest you use Rotom-h over Umbreon ( Maybe Suicune if you do not want to remove Umbreon like you stated in your RMT). Umbreon is not really doing much for your team. It lacks decent amount of power to hit hard with Payback, is too slow to use Taunt, etc. Umbreon also adds to that Fighting weakness, and since Rotom will be replacing him, you will know have an immunity to Fighting in addition to many other things that Rotom-h brings to your team synergy wise! If you want to keep Umbreon, try Rotom-h over Suicune since Swampert is playing a similar role to Suicune. Swampert is Roaring away threats while providing an Electric immunity. I wish you the best of luck with all of these changes!

Wow...

thank you for all of that help. I'm overwhelmed haha. I like all of your suggestions but I have some questions. Which Rotom forme do you think I should use? I'm just now figuring out that Rotom has new formes since I've been out of the Pokemon loop for a loong time. And what should I take out for that Rotom? I don't think you specified what would be the best option. Sorry if you did and I overlooked it...

I like the idea of using Swampert as the starter to get Stealth Rock going as soon as possible and it gives my team the much-needed resistance to lightning. Awesome! I'm going to make changes accordingly and post the new team in a few minutes.

This is definitely going to take some getting used to though. I just hope that by the time I actually get Platinum this team won't end up being obsolete.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)