New Team! Balanced 6 v 6

Hi guys,

Been playing through every generation but this is the first time that ive properly created a team and looked into battling.

The entire team is based on Pokemon that I like to use, not just ones that are any good. Wanted quite a stall based team really but I'm not sure that's how it's worked out. The whole team is fairly weak when it comes to defenses. However, it whacks a punch as it has high attack and spatk throughout with obvious exceptions in Carbink and Dusknoir.

I'm completely open to all criticism and will update when I've had chance to test the changes you guys suggest. Already had some feedback on here and I'm testing some other pokemon out, going for a more burn stall build but I really wanna get this team to work.

I've chosen a defensive lead that can setup rocks to help and also setup Trick Room to give priority Power Gem against Charizard. But other choices are because I wanted strong attacking pokemon that have support moves and a good range of different attack types. Please find below my choices and the reasons behind the moves.

------

Lead- Carbink - light clay

Sturdy/ calm/ 252 HP 128 def 128 spdef
Trick Room
Reflect
Stealth rock
Power gem

The reason I chose Carbink is because I wanted a bulky lead that could take a hit and set up some defensive walls given that my team has quite a fragile def throughout. Also, due to presuming I would have issues with Fire type Pokemon such as Charizard and Talonflame, wanted a Stealth Rock user that could almost always guarantee getting rocks up. Further to this, Trick Room gives Trevenant and Dusknoir chance to Leech Seed/ Pain Split prior to opp pokemon having the chance to atk. Did originally have Meowstic (M) in Carbinks place but found it too fragile and I felt Stealth Rock was a necessity.

Scout - Thundurus - Life Orb

Prankster/ Timid/ 252 speed 4 hp 252 Spatk
Taunt
Thunderbolt
Flash Cannon
Volt Switch

I wanted a quick scout that could lend and unexpected priority taunt, preventing Stealth Rocks at the start of a battle. Chose Flash Cannon over both Dark Pulse and Grass Knot because it gave me a super effective move for against Fairy pokemon which I didn't have with previous choices in this slot.

Support - Trevenant - Sitrus Berry

Harset/ Careful/ 252 Spdef 252 HP 4 Atk
Leech Seed
Horn Leech
Protect
Will o Wisp

I love this new addition to the pokemon world. Very bulky and Harvest is so much fun, nothing better than being on 10% hp, curing with some leech seed, a sitrus berry and then harvesting another sitrus berry to put you above 60%. With no dedicated tank in the team, wanted to make sure had specially bulky pokemon and Trevenant fits right in. Give good coverage with it grass tying and also offers protection against leech seed, spore, stun spore and sleep powder. Chose horn leech of stab gost move (shadow claw or shadow ball) as have Dusknoir in the team for ghost typing.

Special sweeper - volcarona - Lum berry

Modest/ flame body/ 252 speed 252 spatk 4 def
Quiver dance
Fiery dance
Bug buzz
Roost

The move set speaks for itself. Fast Special sweeper with good coverage moves and the ever brilliant Quiver Dance. What do you guys think of Roost as choice for the 4th move? It's the only move I've tried in that slot so far and it has worked well. Although a bit slow at time, as long as I don't stupidly use it, seems to be good pokemon for this particular Team.

--->

Physiscal sweep - medicham (mega stone)

Jolly/ Pure power/ 252 atk 252 speed 4 hp
Fake out
Ice punch
Drain punch
Thunder Punch

Wanted to abuse a mega in a team and this was the perfect choice after Gengar. Was originally Malamar as my physical sweeper in place of this. However, found Malamar too clunky at times and not fast enough for what I wanted. Fake Out gives priority flinch move that, in conjunction with Pure Power, does a fair amount of damage. Other than that I chose Drain Punch over High Jump Kick because the life gain can be essential late game. Ice Punch was given due to the fact that I again presumed I'd have trouble with Dragons and finally Psycho cut was given because it's a none contact STAB Psychic move.

Wall - Dusknoir - leftovers

Impish/ pressure/ 252 hp 204 def 54 spdef
Will o wisp
Earthquake
Shadow sneak
Pain split

I absolutely love this Pokemon... It's a shame that Dusclops is just better. Don't necessarily want to lose it though. Does have good Bulk and Pain Split can be great. Also has attacking capabilities with STAB priority Shadow Sneak being a surprise and earthquake being the default. Will O Wisp is something that I would've liekd to have been more of a theme throughout and everytime I mess with the Team it seems that more Will O Wisp users come in. Also wanted to use Dusknoir as a Spin blocker to once again make sure that rocks stay.

------

One possible change that that I've tried on the team and are definitely considering using is, Politoed over Carbink. Would provide the needed cover for Fire pokemon, and would render them much weaker after rain. Following set is what I was running:

Weather Support - Politoed - Expert Belt

Bold/ Drizzle/ 252 hp 252 def 4 spdef
Encore
Hypnosis
Ice Beam
Scald

The first thing you may notice is the lack of Rain Dance, but felt that as my team does not benefit 100% from rain, this was not necessary and gave me the chance to try other moves. Encore has been great, surprise attack after switch in, generally forcing a switch. Scald and Ice Beam are self explanatory. When using Politoed, it opened me up to using Volcarona with hurricane instead of Roost and the Thundurus with Thunder. Giveing even more coverage, and the option of a powerful flying type attack.

------

Since Pokebank isn't out yet, haven't had chance to properly edit the team, but I will be potentially looking into using Cofagrigus as a physically defensive or support defensive Cresselia wall instead of Dusknoir. Also looking into using Lopunny as a wallbreaker instead of Thundurus. The main thing I'm looking to replace is the lead though. I'm a sucker for a dedicated lead in a team.

What do you guys think?

All feedback welcome.

Peace!

Last edited:
I understand the philosophy behind the whole "I use what I like!" thing, but the truth of the matter is that if you want to be in competitive, you can't use things that are just outclassed outright. It may take you a while to find a team that you like that doesn't have outclassed Pokemon in it, but I'm sure you'll get there. Anyway, there isn't really a way to make this team better without making some mon changes, so I suggest you just abide to them and you'll have greater success, and you'll get better practice.

Carbink is interesting, but it doesn't fit. You have a lot of fast Pokemon and Trick Room is more of a liability than an asset, and there are better dual screeners out there. Replace Carbink with Klefki or Espeon; they both have better utility options and both will aid your team more.

Thundurus has no business switching into specially defensive fairies, so don't run Flash Cannon. Steel isn't even that good as coverage against fairies due to Steel just being a mediocre offensive type. Put Nasty Plot in that slot instead so Thundurus can actually aid the team by eliminating bulky threats.

When making a balanced team, you gotta make sure your two walls synergize so they're not both weak to the same things. In this case, both Trevenant and Dusknoir are ghosts, so they're stalled out and weak to the exact same things, and that's, well, bad. Let's get rid of Dusknoir because it's pretty much inferior to Trevenant as a ghost wall. Now let's talk about what works well with it.

Trevenant resist Electric, Water, Ground, and Grass, and it's weak to Fire, Ice, Flying, and Ghost.

So what covers Trevenants weaknesses while also augmenting its strengths? How about Rotom Wash? It's weak to Grass and Ground (From Mold Breaker Pokemon) and resists Fire, Ice, and Flying. Sounds like a pretty good core to me! I'd try him.

Your team does not benefit from rain, so there's not reason to use Politoed. You already should be running Rotom-W as a bulky water, so honestly literally anything would be a better fit there. Perhaps that dedicated lead you were mentioning? Keep looking into it.

That's it from me! Good luck.

I understand the philosophy behind the whole "I use what I like!" thing, but the truth of the matter is that if you want to be in competitive, you can't use things that are just outclassed outright. It may take you a while to find a team that you like that doesn't have outclassed Pokemon in it, but I'm sure you'll get there. Anyway, there isn't really a way to make this team better without making some mon changes, so I suggest you just abide to them and you'll have greater success, and you'll get better practice.

Carbink is interesting, but it doesn't fit. You have a lot of fast Pokemon and Trick Room is more of a liability than an asset, and there are better dual screeners out there. Replace Carbink with Klefki or Espeon; they both have better utility options and both will aid your team more.

Thundurus has no business switching into specially defensive fairies, so don't run Flash Cannon. Steel isn't even that good as coverage against fairies due to Steel just being a mediocre offensive type. Put Nasty Plot in that slot instead so Thundurus can actually aid the team by eliminating bulky threats.

When making a balanced team, you gotta make sure your two walls synergize so they're not both weak to the same things. In this case, both Trevenant and Dusknoir are ghosts, so they're stalled out and weak to the exact same things, and that's, well, bad. Let's get rid of Dusknoir because it's pretty much inferior to Trevenant as a ghost wall. Now let's talk about what works well with it.

Trevenant resist Electric, Water, Ground, and Grass, and it's weak to Fire, Ice, Flying, and Ghost.

So what covers Trevenants weaknesses while also augmenting its strengths? How about Rotom Wash? It's weak to Grass and Ground (From Mold Breaker Pokemon) and resists Fire, Ice, and Flying. Sounds like a pretty good core to me! I'd try him.

Your team does not benefit from rain, so there's not reason to use Politoed. You already should be running Rotom-W as a bulky water, so honestly literally anything would be a better fit there. Perhaps that dedicated lead you were mentioning? Keep looking into it.

That's it from me! Good luck.

Thanks a lot for your input! =)

Completely understand where you are coming from and that if I want a team to be competetive, I cant just use the pokemon I want.

i do feel thative got the best out of the pokemon I love and Ihave enjoyed using this team. Its served me well but I know its lacking.

Im gonna look to making a new team, using pokemon I enjoy but only from a list of competetive pokemon.

Do you have any tips on how to find synergy within the pokemon I choose. I did find some synergy in this team but not to the extent i wanted. I play pokemon for the subtle interactions and interesting abilities. I dont just want a team of sweepers though, thats why a support pokemon is my favourite type.

Any pokemon interactions that you personally enjoy at may be of interest for me to look into?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)