New competitive player tuning a team

Hi everyone! This team is meant for 2 vs 2 battles. Since I'm begining this competitive play, I think that format is quite easier than the usual 1 vs 1 battles, mainly because the team members can support eachother directly and better.

I wanted to build a Sandstorm team, so the usual suspects (Tyranitar and Hippowdon) were in. I always wanted to use Cacturne in a team and I thought it could be a nice addition to the team, covering the Water weakness of the main Sand streamers.

At that point I figured out that all the Pokemon were Physical Attackers, so I began searching for a good Special Sweeper. Empoleon was the answer, with its many resistances and covering the Fire weakness of Cacturne and Ice Weakness of Hippowdon (more or less).

Two slots were remaining and the team needed some support, but what kind? I had this Shiny male Ralts hanging in a Box, as well as this good IV Misdreavus offspring; they had one thing in common: they knew Trick Room. Reviewing the base speed of the other members and their natures I found out that Trick Room was a good support for the Team.

Tyranitar@ Muscle BAnd
Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 Sp Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Curse
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch
This one is used to trigger the endless Sandstorm. It usually goes out first, paired up with Mismagius. Tyranitar can be considered the Tank of the team; I usually begin with Curse, so the next turn it goes first (with Trick Room activated). Also, I found out in my CPU-opponent games that it could be a good Lure or Pivot Pokemon (almost every attack is aimed for Tyranitar the first turns). I gave Tyranitar the Muscle Band to make it attack a little harder, although I'm thinking into swaping it for a Shell Bell to give it a form of recovery.

Hippowdon@ Leftovers
Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp. Def
Sassy Nature (+Sp. Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Ice Fang
For Sandstorm consistency I chose to put Hippowdon in, too. This guy is the Physical Wall and also supports the team with Stealth Rock. As with almost every wall, Leftovers is the item of preference. I always avoid to partner Tyranitar with Hippowdon, because the later's Earthquake really dents Tyranitar.

Mismagius@ Leftovers
Levitate
EVs: 150 HP / 252 Sp. Attk / 108 Sp. Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Will-o-Wisp
- Pain Split
Mismagius is the main lead of the team. This Pokemon is meant for Support, primary with Trick Room and Will-o-Wisp. Even Pain Split helps to close the KO range for the other Pokemon, such as Hippowdon's Earthquake. Since this Mismagius mas trained quite defensely, Leftovers was the item I saw fit for it, also countering the Sandstorm damage every turn. Mismagius' Levitate also builds a huge synergy with Hippowdon and Tyranitar without receiving damage from Earthquake.

Gallade@ Leftovers
Steadfast
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Will-o-Wisp
- Psycho Cut
- Close Combat
Gallade is the backup Trick Roomer, having also Will-o-Wisp to cripple the opponents. This pokemon is a hybrid between Support and late game sweep. Its defenses allow it to switch in safely, bar a super effective hit (although Tyranitar can cover up those pokemon). Gallade also covers the fighting weakness that Tyranitar and Cacturne have. This guy is quite defensive, too, so Leftovers were in for its item, also negating the Sandstorm damage.

Cacturne@ BrightPowder
Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp. Def
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Brick Break
This guy's role is as the Physical Sweeper. Cacturne's low speed is a great asset with Trick Room, so I could focus its EV training in Attack and HP. Cacturne is the main answer the team has to Water Pokemon, which pose a real problem for the rest of the members. Also, Cacturne's grass type give him an easy switch in when Tyranitar or Hippowdon are attacking with Earthquake. Although I maxed out its HP, it is fragile; to abuse its Sand Veil ability I gave it the BrightPowder to hold... and some of those missed attacks were very inhandy to improve its general survival.

Empoleon@ Life Orb
Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Def
Calm Nature (+Sp. Def, -Atk)
- Protect
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
Empoleon is the Special Sweeper of the team, also serving, in a less fashion, as the Special Wall. Empoleon covers most of the weaknesses of the team with its resistances, so it has become an invaluable member of the team, switching in quite easily and wearing down the opponents with Life Orbed attacks. Empoleon is the one having troubles pairing with Tyranitar or Hippowdon, because their Earthquakes really hurt its development as a sweeper, so I make it learn Protect to prevent that damage.

What do you think? What can be improved in the team? I´ll be waiting for your comments. Thanks!

you should change hippowdon to the lead position because tyranitar cannot take attacks like hippowdon can and you automatically get stealth rock up, you should change ice fang to stone edge because without attack investment you wont killing any dragons in one hit, while stone edge lets you get more coverage.Mismagius should always be first so you set up trick room and you get levitate immunity. You should change empoleons hydro pump to surf because it hits both of the opponents pokes. Overall its a good team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)