XY UU Need some help here

Hi there. I've been using this team for the past 2 months and it was working pretty well for me. However the additions of Mega Alakazam and Zygarde to the tier has really hurt this team, and I'm not sure what I should change. I'm sure there are other mistakes on this team too, any critique is greatly appreciated.

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Fire Punch
The closest thing left to Victini in the tier. I chose Darm because this team is rather slow and thus in desperate need of a scarfer. Fire Punch was added because sometimes a recoilless fire stab is worth it over the larger bp of Flare Blitz. I love how scarf U-turn allows me to switch without loosing momentum very easily, especially since Darm's power forces a lot of switches.

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Substitute
My win condition. Fairly standard Virizion set, I choose lum berry because it gives me a good switch into a will-o-wisp or toxic in a pinch. Kind of hard to set up due to its frailty, not sure if there is anything I can do about that.

Seashine (Swampert) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
My main physical wall. I chose Ice Beam over Earthquake to help deal with those pesky Dragon types, and make it less susceptible to Burn. Phazing is a must for this team since it is rather weak to a couple different set-up sweepers such as SD Lucario.

TricksterArchtype (Crobat) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 176 HP / 192 Atk / 4 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- Taunt
Pretty standard set. This team really appreciates defog support, especially since it only uses the easily set-up Stealth Rock as an entry hazard. Crobat is also a pretty reliable check for SubCM Chandelure, which gives the rest of my team trouble.

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
My mega and secondary physical wall. I chose Megagron because it's typing compliments my other teammates. Heavy Slam is especially useful for taking out fairies like Florges. I chose Thunder Wave over Stealth Rock since I already have Swampert as a SR setter, and thunder wave really hurts some of Megagrons common switch-ins such as Machamp.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic
A highly underrated mon, Porygon 2 is my special wall. Thanks to it's defenses and reliable recovery Porygon 2 can wall a lot of common threats even after it's eviolite is knocked off. It doesn't gaf about burns and paralysis is only an inconvenience to it, so I can let it soak up non-poison related hazards pretty reliably. I know Download is a rather odd choice for an ability but I like it since it's more reliable than Trance, and +1 Porygon-2 is actually quite scary once Blissey and Florges are gone. I chose Tri Attack over Thunderbolt because it hits harder, and the freeze chance has won me several games I otherwise would have lost.

Hey this looks like a decently solid balanced team.

Pretty much the most glaring weakness I can see right off the bat is that you get somewhat destroyed by fighting types. Crobat is your only resist, and if it gets worn down or predicted+KO'd on the switch, you've basically lost the game. There's too much pressure on Crobat to switch into Mienshao, Machamp, and Lucario and it will easily get worn down throughout the course of the match.

What I can suggest is to replace Mega Aggron. You stated that it's a physical wall, but I'm not really seeing it add anything to your team as you've already got Stealth Rocks and phazing on your Swampert, and it only adds to your fighting and water weakness. A best thing that I can think to replace it with is Physically Defensive Mega Ampharos. Your team is severely lacking in the special-attacking department, and this will help threaten bulky waters that you seem to have a bit of trouble switching into (without risking damage and Berry on your win condition). It will let you pivot a lot easier into your big threats, and will still provide you with a sturdy answer to things like Mega Absol and Crobat.

Mega Ampharos is kind of a shaky check to fighting types since Reckless High Jump Kick and Life Orb Close Combat have a decent chance to 2HKO. Also, Fairy types are now a little bit more of a problem, so in addition to that, you could consider replacing Virizion with Celebi. You can go for a Swords Dance or Nasty Plot set, but should definitely run Recover on whatever you choose to use. This lets you switch into Fairies and set up on them, while also giving you another fighting resist. And I'd go with dual STABs+boosting moves in your other move slots because you can kill bulky waters and also kill the Fighting types (especially Lucario) that you want to be checking in the first place.

I would definitely recommend Rock Slide over Fire Punch on Darmanitan: Fire Punch is ridiculously weak and there's almost no point in using it. But more importantly, Rock Slide gives you coverage against things that would otherwise completely wall you: Chandelure, Rotom-H and basically every other fire type come to mind.

Hopefully this helped, and good luck using this team in the future.

What would the physical set on Mega Amp look like?

Also I really want to use a fighting type on my team. Would Toxicroak work as a replacement for Virizion?

Solid team you got Ryan, just got one quick thing for you:

I think you should EV your Crobat to outspeed Regular Timid Alakazam. The speed EV's would be 176 Jolly. Just a small benchmark that I believe all Crobats should hit as Zam variants with Focus Blast look like they could do some damage to your team. Outspeeding Mega Zam and U-Turning out before it mega evolves is also very nice as that damage could prove to be crucial.

Edit: 200 Speed is also an option for outspeeding Noivern since Swithceroo variants look kind of annoying to your team. Really up to you :]
Crobat @ Black Sludge
EVs: 80 HP / 248 Atk / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Edit2: My bad Bouffalant haha, misinput from Showdown, but yes he is right about Defog and the item. I'll change the set up.
That's all I got for ya haha, good luck battling.

Last edited:
!_! dod pls let me r8erino first...

yeah anyways, dudeman got in most of the problems with this team before i could, so i can only nitpick.

I don't really like Substitute on Virizion, especially in a metagame where Crobat is everywhere, and I assume Sub is to let you set up on bulky Waters without fear of Scald burns, or just to avoid status, but that can easily be mitigated by a Lum Berry , and in most cases, Virizion appreciates having a third coverage move. So, I would replace Substitute with Stone Edge, and replace Leftovers with Lum Berry, as this gives you a much more offensive approach to your team, and letting you hit Fire-types like Rotom-H and Entei for super effective damage (Close Combat does a number to both when boosted, but having to lower your defense hurts in a lot of cases).

I would also suggest fixing up Crobat's spread, as while you do beat 115s (and I think Whimsicott? I'm not sure), you get outsped by Timid Alakazam pre-mega (or Sashzam, for that matter), which is really crucial, especially in this metagame, as well as getting outsped by Noivern. Because of this, I'd run 200 Speed, as it outspeeds Noivern (idg why people only run enough for zam, noivern is more relevant than usual now that zyg is in the tier). Looks like Toenail sniped me tho, so just backing him up I guess. I don't really see the need for Sky Plate, though, nor do I see any reason for removing Defog ?_? Without it, you lack any hazard cleaning, which is crucial for most balance teams, so I would use a set of BB / Defog / Roost / U-turn, as U-turn lets you get chip damage, while breaking sashes and keeping up momentum.

Finally, while kinda nitpicky, change your Swampert's spread to 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Atk or SpD, as it lets you hit a Leftovers number. Also, I would definitely get rid of Roar and put in EQ, as you need the Ground STAB so you don't rely on the burn chance to beat Lucario, and it's generally Swampert's most powerful attack; Ice Beam already takes care of Zygarde, which is one of the most prominent set up sweepers, so Roar isn't really as needed.

Hope I helped! GL with this team. :)

Thank you so much for the feedback! So I tried to follow your guys suggestions and have revised my team;
Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Rock Slide

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

Seashine (Swampert) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

TricksterArchtype (Crobat) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 80 HP / 248 Atk / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- Taunt

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

Anything else need fixing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)