Gen 2 Need help with Gold Teem!

Ok, so this is my in-game team in gold. This is NOT completed, and obviously needs improovemint.

Typhlosion @ Leftovers
- Flamethrower
- Quick Attack
- Sunny Day
- (can't decide)

Jolteon @ Leftovers
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- (can't decide)
- (can't decide)

Suicune @ Leftovers
- Surf
- Roar
- Rest
- Ice Beam

Heracross @ Leftovers
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Rock
- (can't decide)

Dragonite @ Leftovers
- Hyper Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

Rhydon @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- (can't decide)
- (can't decide)
- (can't decide)

---
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
i've always found suicune to be a bit of a waste unless you're abusing spikes. otherwise, slowbro is just as good for being a bulky water, and can thunder-wave, and has an effective, albeit gimmicky, move for blissey/snorlax (dynamicpunch).

hyper beam is pretty messed up in gsc compared to rby. it takes an accuracy hit, and i think it still takes a turn to reload even if you kill on the turn it is used. don't hold me to that though. regardless, it's not nearly as useful as it was in rby. double-edge/body slam make more sense on dragonite.

you have 3 ground weaknesses, but i suppose with suicune and dragonite, it's not TOO terrible. just be careful with being too predictable on the dragonite switch, or the opponent could get bold and start firing off rock slides.

typhlosion is very versatile, so it could use anything in that last slot. i suggest, however, to drop quick attack, as its uses are very limited in gsc. in adv it can be fun to take out flailers, but in gsc, it's quite worthless. thunderpunch is a nice option for water switch-ins. earthquake can be used as well for a strong physical move. dynamicpunch as well for expected blissey/snorlax switch-ins (two very popular special walls).

Jolteon is my favorite electric, legendary or not. I use sub/baton pass/hidden power(water)/thunderbolt, but our two uses of jolteon seem different. regardless, getting a hidden power water/ice on it would be a good idea, if you can. if not, you could use agility/sub/baton pass. Jolteon doesn't get much to use. Sand Attack could be an option as well. Maybe even Attract (the early standard).

Heracross is cool. rarely do you see one with 3 attacks though. typically people choose two attacks (Megahorn+whatever) and use Sleep Talk/Rest, since Heracross has decent defenses a few nice resistances. It's a pretty sturdy pokemon. It's up to you, though.

Rhydon definitely needs Rock Slide. For the last two slots you could do...Curse/Roar/Rest. Any combo of those two, pretty much. Rhydon is very limited as well in its movepool. Even moreso than Jolteon, even.

the team is lacking firepower in a way. rhydon and heracross are both ready to rip some things up at the outset, but many teams pack something that sets up in some way. you have good team defense, and with good prediction i don't think that 3x ground weakness will hurt too much.

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
ok, gotcha. well thunderpunch you can get for typhlosion then. and, since you've already used earthquake...dynamicpunch maybe over quick attack.

jolteon you can do...sand attack/attract. something for annoyance. sand attack it learns, attract is a TM. can't do baton pass since it's not crystal...eh, its options are kinda limited in this case.

suicune is fine.

heracross can't do rest. it's 4th move really won't matter that much then.

dragonite is ok i guess. if you can get a better physical attack on it, though, i recommend it.

rhydon learns rock slide, so that's easy enough. curse and roar are TMs. there you go.

Great, thanks!!

Edit- I just remembered that you can still by Hidden Power in Goldenrod City after you have obtained the T, so I can use HP Water on Jolteon. :-D

white sox fan there's a duplication glitch in gsc so you can duplicate items (by having the pokemon you duplicate hold them). i'm sure you can google it. also, a jolteon with a high base power hp water might take quite a while to get...
though if you do have lots and lots and lots of patience, i agree with gp that it's a very good move for jolteon

I thought the duplication glitch was only in Crystal version.... I've tried it on Crystal and it worked, but I don't know about Gold version....

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In the contrary, duplication glitch is for Silver and Gold and doesn't work in Crystal.

Some of thes sets used for Dragonite is Dynamic Punch, Thunder, Wing Attack, Surf. If you could get RBY TMs, Ice Beam, Double-Edge, and T-Wave are usable, too.

I did it in Crystal once though..... I cloned a level 100 Feraligatr and traded it to my friend.....

Anyway can you train EV's in GSC?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GSC does have stat experience, which is slightly different from EVs because you can max out all your stats with it. It really isn't that hard to do, and by the time you've leveled to 100 or so, you should have already fought plenty of battles to max out your stat exp on everything.

If I recall correctly, the duplication glitch merely takes better timing in Crystal. Even so, it's doable in all three games.

The stat experience thing does seem somewhat familiar because when I was playing Crystal version I trained a level 20 Voltorb all the way up to a level 100 Electrode that had 299 HP. Even so,it was holding an Everstone, so it didn't evolve until it was level 36 or 37, when it usually evolves at level 30. If I hadn't given it the Everstone, it probably would have 302-303 HP as opposed to 299.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When a Pokemon evolves in no way determines their stats. A Magikarp that evolves at level 20 will have the exact same stats at level 100 as a Magikarp that evolves at level 96, provided they are in the same fights.

Ok, so this is my in-game team in gold. This is NOT completed, and obviously needs improovemint.

Typhlosion @ Leftovers
- Flamethrower
- Quick Attack
- Sunny Day
- (can't decide)

hmm quick attack is definitely unexpected on typhlosion. could be used for finishing off some pokes pretty well, but if it dont work, put eq on. thunderpunch on the last slot for those waters.

Jolteon @ Leftovers
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- (can't decide)
- (can't decide)

HP: Ice and Attract on those last two slots. move this up to the starting pokemon and attach miracle berry.

Suicune @ Leftovers
- Surf
- Roar
- Rest
- Ice Beam

me likes. i use mirror coat. but u need roar. good moveset.

Heracross @ Leftovers
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Rock
- (can't decide)

counter on that last slot. way to stay away with the overused standard.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
- Hyper Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

ew. hyper beam sux. put safeguard over it. he needs a physical attack. put return over one of the special attacks. t-wave pwns :)

Rhydon @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- (can't decide)
- (can't decide)
- (can't decide)

i like golem better with body slam, eq, rock slide, and explosion @pink bow

---
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
nice team 9/10.

possibility for dragonite

According to the move combinations list on Serebii.net, for Dragonite you can use Safeguard in combination with Outrage to nullify it's confusing after effect. This would be great since you can get the awesome STAB power of Outrage without leaving that bad after taste in your mouth. Be aware though that this combo was listed with other 3'rd generation combo's so I'm not completely sure Safeguard will work that way on your Gold, being a 2'nd gen game and all. (I would test it myself before posting but my Gold died last year...poor thing
)

Oh, and for your Typhlosion I would just go ahead and replace quick attack with EQ just in case you run into Lanturn or something stupid like Quilfish(yeah right...)

According to the move combinations list on Serebii.net, for Dragonite you can use Safeguard in combination with Outrage to nullify it's confusing after effect. This would be great since you can get the awesome STAB power of Outrage without leaving that bad after taste in your mouth. Be aware though that this combo was listed with other 3'rd generation combo's so I'm not completely sure Safeguard will work that way on your Gold, being a 2'nd gen game and all. (I would test it myself before posting but my Gold died last year...poor thing
)

Oh, and for your Typhlosion I would just go ahead and replace quick attack with EQ just in case you run into Lanturn or something stupid like Quilfish(yeah right...)
i tried it. i still get confused. i do use outrage sometimes, but with a bitter berry to get rid of the confusion right away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)