Announcement NDOM Tournament Circuit Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
posting with approval from hidin & R8
:sv/polteageist:
(assume this is a trophy cup)
Hello everyone! NDOM enthusiasts have planned a tour circuit, and, as the title suggests, we are opening a discussion thread on how to proceed with it. The champions of each seasonal, playoffs, and winners of the NDOTSL will be awarded a special role in the NDOM Discord community server. Additionally, the NDOM Championship winner will be granted a distinctive room star rank (☆) in the NDOT room, a status they will retain as long as they successfully defend their title.

Tournaments planned:
  • NDOM Majors
  • ND AAA Seasonal
  • ND BH Seasonal
  • ND Camo Seasonal
  • ND Conv Seasonal
  • ND GG Seasonal
  • ND LC Seasonal
  • ND MnM Seasonal
  • ND NFE Seasonal
  • ND STAB Seasonal
  • NDOTSL
  • NDOM Championship Playoffs
*NDOTSL is a teamtour and thus gives no points
NDOM Majors and Seasonals are Type A tournaments, which means players receive full points for advancing.

Tournament Details

Majors:
Majors is a tournament divided into two stages. Stage 1 is a round robin with pools of 4 that lasts two weeks. Each pool will be provided a random set of metagames to play a best-of-3 from. The two players with the best records in each pool will move into Stage 2, which is a Type A, best-of-5, single-elimination tournament.
Seasonals: Seasonals are Type A, best-of-3, double-elimination tournaments.

POINTS TO DISCUSS:
  • Tournament timeframe: When is the right time for the tournaments to start?
  • Tournament order: (example) AAA and NDAAA have a lot of common players, so we need to ensure NDAAA ssnl doesn't coincide with AAA Open / ssnl
  • NDOM Majors: Should majors include NDOTSL I tiers (6), and !pick 5? Should majors include all 9 main tiers and !pick 5? Or should we host poll for the tiers?
  • Other Tournaments (Type B): Any other tournaments we can fit in? SS NDOM Majors? ND OMM Tournament?
  • Team tournaments: NDOM Trios, NDOM USA vs The World, NDOTWC?
  • Points Distribution: We have many tournaments, which points system would be the most effective?
  • Hosts: Currently, we just have hosts for NDOM Majors. We need to find hosts. If you're interested, please reply here or DM me (discord zastra)
  • Prize pool: Any volunteers? Discord nitro, cash prize, gift cards, etc. (If you wanna contribute, pm / vm / dm me @ zastra)
  • Any other suggestion to improve the system

Last edited:

Nashrock

nothing to say and nothing to lose
is a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I’m not sure if this is allowed, but is it possible to open a temporary ladder when there’s a tour, just like the adv lc ladder rn? When I was playing ndostl last year, I found my major issue was that there wasn’t a ladder for me to test out stuff and get a better picture of the meta.

ill reply with my own thoughts
  • Tournament timeframe & order:
    • majors in early feb imo. that would be around a month after sv om majors.
    • sv om opens are starting early march, i think we should start ssnls mid-to-late march
    • aaa open is on march 3 and there's an ongoing nd aaa tour. it might be worth to schedule ndaaa ssnl later?
    • lc & camo kickoffs just ended
    • bh>conv>gg>mnm>nfe>stab>lc>camo>aaa? the first 6 are in alphabetical order, not much thought put
    • signups release in pairs, and 3 weeks after a pair's signups another pair is released
  • NDOM Majors:
    • I think using ndotsl tiers is the best way to proceed. my order would be ndotsl tiers>!picking between 9 tiers>format discussion
  • Other Tournaments (Type B):
    • an SS NDOM tour would be cool imo. idk about the style / formats of the tour, so some feedback would be nice
    • an NDOM Madness tour would also be cool to develop nd omms.
  • Team tournaments:
    • last trios was fun, no reason to not do it again
    • i dont think NDOTWC is possible. we can do USA vs RoW this (or next) year though!
    • i propose a Slakings vs Ginkals Snake Draft showdown, much like US vs RoW. a discord tour sounds good too.
  • Other points:
    • up-to-date sample teams for each tier. other resources like VL / VR if possible
    • ensure all councils are active so that they take necessary tiering actions
    • use of the ndot management cord for tour hosts
    • at least 2 hosts for each tournament
Here's the schedule I propose
  • NDOM Majors- February 4
  • ND BH Seasonal- March 17
  • ND Conv Seasonal- March 17
  • ND GG Seasonal- April 7
  • ND MnM Seasonal- April 7
  • ND NFE Seasonal- April 28
  • ND STAB Seasonal- April 28
  • ND LC Seasonal- May 19
  • ND Camo Seasonal- May 19
  • ND AAA Seasonal- June 9
  • NDOTSL- June 30
  • SS NDOM tour- July 21
  • NDOM Madness- August 11
  • NDOM Trios- September 1
  • NDOM Championship Playoffs (Top 16)- September 22
  • USA vs RoW- October / November
  • Slakings vs Ginkals SD- December
*team tour
**type B
thoughts? also please discuss majors' formats here, there won't be a separate format discussion thread for that.

I’m not sure if this is allowed, but is it possible to open a temporary ladder when there’s a tour, just like the adv lc ladder rn? When I was playing ndostl last year, I found my major issue was that there wasn’t a ladder for me to test out stuff and get a better picture of the meta.
actually, a spotlight ladder is planned for NDOMs (starting 24th of this month)! i don't know the details, though.

Last edited:

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Speaking from a tier leader's perspective here:

Tournament timeframe: I am very unsure if we are going to get this approved by the end of January, but if that happens then I'd like for the circuit to begin sometime around the last or second to last week of January and eventually conclude before December.
Tournament order:
AAA
BH
Camomons
Convergence
GG
LC
MnM
NFE
STAB
NDOTSL
NDOM Circuit Playoffs

Totally original I know, I just don't have anything to object about the order of which the OMs are listed in the OP.

NDOM Majors: This should only happen after we complete a successful year of the NDOM circuit. Majors as a concept is very hard to keep track of however with a smaller pool of sign ups, it could be easier to host. Still don't want it until we see where we are after one year of circuit done.
Other Tournaments (Type B): SS NDOMs are a complete relic of the past; we tried to bring them back in the Discord but I'm pretty sure the channel didn't even crack 100 messages in its duration. Unless we have some people that'd be dedicated to reviving them, I wouldn't touch them. Same with mashups, although there's a little more interest in them.
Team tournaments: NDOM Trios and NDOTSL should be the only team tours on the table at the moment.
Points Distribution: Copy from what NatDex and OMs use.

Finding hosts won't be that much of a task, but I don't think we need any prizes for a circuit tournament. They're usually preserved for tournaments that aren't official.

Overall I like this idea a lot and will try to get something done once the rotational ladder is up. Cool stuff zastra

BoingK

back to the lab again
is a Pre-Contributor
free swellow

ANYWAY
  • Tournament timeframe + order: Just make sure tours don't clash with their Paldex counterparts, I guess. Especially NDOTSL and OMPL / UMPL / LCPL etc
  • NDOM Majors: I agree with hidin, majors is probably a bit too out there until we can say for sure that NDOM circuit is here to stay, but I'd probably do all 9 tiers + !pick 3 for stage one, then for stage 2 everyone starts with the same meta and you go loser pick from there
  • Other Tournaments (Type B): I think we're ahead of ourselves here, I don't forsee these sorts of tournaments getting meaningful signups. Sure we can have them, but I'd hold off from making them circuit tourneys per se
  • Team tournaments: Trios should be easy enough and NDOTSL is great. I'd love to see NDOTWC, but I'm not sure if we really have the numbers yet
  • Points Distribution: It would be strange to weight tours differently on anything other than signups (hidin is right i feel, just use what OMs or Natdex use)
  • Prize pool: I don't necessarily think monetary prizes are the play, maybe a CA or banner if its on the table would be more fitting, but I would understand if it isn't
  • Any other suggestion to improve the system: free my bird swellow they did nothing wrong (i can't wait for NDOM circuit, is gon be epic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)