Sports NBA Thread: 2023-2024 Season

I might have been wrong about the Clippers as their opening night felt different. I didn't account for Westbrook's competitiveness to be contagious. All those guys played faster than I've seen them play... and Kawhi looks healthy.

OKC is just filled with ballers. All can drive, all can shoot, and they have an MVP-level star player. Watch out.

Struss can shoot the shit out of that ball. Damn. Just what the Doctor Cavaliers ordered.

Mark Williams for the Hornets is a great partner for LaMelo. Didn't get much time with him last year, but impressive first game. LaMelo having a lob threat makes a big difference. Same thing for Lively and the Mavericks.

Pacers are Kings of the East. Same pace, same offensive effiency, and they have defenders too.

Grizzlies lack depth now, and halfcourt offense is still a struggle. Let's see what record they can get the first 25 games.

Bulls had a players only meeting first game. Not a good sign.

Porzingis in the corner is a damn near cheat code with Boston. They have you spread out, with an offensive 7 footer who can shoot and put it on the floor? It reminds me of 08-09 Magic. Such a tall, long lineup of shooters and drivers.

Wolves will probably make me look bad, but they gotta get this thing rolling with KAT/Gobert together. Transition defense is still pretty bad from last year, they give up a lot more rebounds than you'd assume, and offensively, they're isoing without McDaniels. Right now, they still look no different from last year.

The league in general is getting taller on the wings, and I wonder if the future will include forwards bringing the ball up regularly. Pops is going with Sochan at point-guard while Wembanyama and Collins are the frontcourt. Magic have Wagner handling many times. There's Jokic, Giddy, Tatum, Simmons, LaMelo, Cunningham... and some of these teams have a tall frontcourt to boot. Super tall offensive ballhandlers being more the norm may begin to grow wild.

Last edited:

Zest of Life

Banned deucer.
James Harden finally got traded, the Woj bomb I was waiting most of summer for lol

Now, I think the Clippers are definitely in a win-now mode, but they need to make sure Kawhi and PG actually stay healthy in time for the playoffs. I find it flummoxing how Kawhi and PG take time off due to “load management” and then pull a Houdini act virtually every post-season. I genuinely believe the addition of Harden makes the Clippers a serious threat to the Nuggets, if they can stay healthy.

Speaking of the Nuggets, perhaps it’s a bit too early to say this, but they can potentially finish with 70+ wins if their goal is to finish with one of the best regular season records of all time. I can’t see them losing more than a dozen games if both Jokic and Murray stay healthy throughout.

Going to the East, I’m seriously impressed with the Celtics. Their bench sucks ass, but their starters are insane. Porzingis + the Jays seems like a cheat code. Then we have the bald buffalo proving himself to be a dominating offensive and defensive presence. It’s only been a week, but the Celtics seem to function more cohesively than the Bucks. I’m sure once Giannis figures out his spacing with Dame, they’ll be the most potent offensive duo in the league. I fully expect the Celts and Bucks to finish as the top 2 seeds in the East. The other top team in the East I’m omitting from this post is currently 1-3, and needs to figure out their rotations fast if they don’t want to end up as a play-in team again.

Zest of Life

Banned deucer.
The Celtics are fuckin broken holy shit 155-104

As long as their bench isn’t complete ass, I don’t see a team from the East beating them in the playoffs. Defense wins championships, but the sheer amount of offensive momentum that team has is insane

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Celtics are fuckin broken holy shit 155-104

As long as their bench isn’t complete ass, I don’t see a team from the East beating them in the playoffs. Defense wins championships, but the sheer amount of offensive momentum that team has is insane
Agreed, I'm teetering back and forth between them and the Bucks but the reality is, it's championship or bust for the Celtics they'll never have a better team then this (at least the core)

Lillard's defense is worse than I thought, and the a Bucks are in for a long season until they hit that amazing offense we thought they'd reach.

... but if they don't eventually reach it? This team may have gotten worse, and a rookie head coach not well-versed in offense does not help.

Zest of Life

Banned deucer.
Lillard's defense is worse than I thought, and the a Bucks are in for a long season until they hit that amazing offense we thought they'd reach.

... but if they don't eventually reach it? This team may have gotten worse, and a rookie head coach not well-versed in offense does not help.
It’s gonna take a couple of games for Giannis to figure out how to synergize his spacing with Dame. I agree, Dame is a defensive liability & losing key players like Jrue make the Bucks overly reliant on their offense to win games. It doesn’t matter if Dame and Giannis combine for 70+ if the other team scores 100+. The Bucks have lost their defensive identity, so rebuilding that should be Adrian Griffin’s #1 priority.

Last edited:
Being a Knicks fan most my life meant picking a west team to root for too cus Dolan [why I'm (outside being from Long Island an Islanders fan instead of Rangers for hockey, I *COULDNT* double down].
Being from NY it's like being a Mets/Jets fan.. Knicks/Rangers will hurt you lmao.
Always was into the Mavs (cus Dirk) and Nuggets [Melo era, and yes i was one of those NYK fans hype when we got Melo cus i loved him hence why i liked them] (yes i know they played tonight, just saying for some credit i wasnt the Spurs/Lakers on the side guy LOL)
and no bandwagon energy - just was happy for Denver when they won it all didn't "Feel it" for me cus I know the Knicks for better or worst is me lmaooo.

awyp

is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
harden should debut today as a clipper, what do you think his statline will be? how will he mesh?

harden should debut today as a clipper, what do you think his statline will be? how will he mesh?
I don't have high expectations for harden going forward. the fit with him and westbrook seems middling, feels like harden does everything brodie does but better (minus hustle plays) so they're redundant. as east coast im not able to watch many clippers games, so maybe theres something im missing in terms of fit but after watching harden repeatedly fail from team to team its hard for me to take him seriously as a winning player.

on a more positive note, wolves look super legit, ant is playing on like SGA level and besides goberts free throw shooting he looked amazing against us as well. what are some possible trades for towns (if any) that they could explore to make this roster into a legitimate contender? seems like the lingering rumors are that a trade to knicks makes the most sense (imagine the pain of having randle and towns on your team lol).

awyp

ngl i think hartenstein is a better starter then mitchell robinson ive been saying that though, also this was a very good team win for the knicks, they literally had help from all their role players and finally randle didn't brick this game up, and had his best game of the season so far. clippers looked good though i think it will just take a few months

on a more positive note, wolves look super legit, ant is playing on like SGA level and besides goberts free throw shooting he looked amazing against us as well. what are some possible trades for towns (if any) that they could explore to make this roster into a legitimate contender? seems like the lingering rumors are that a trade to knicks makes the most sense (imagine the pain of having randle and towns on your team lol).
a 3 and D version of KAT at this point. This can be anybody so as long as they're bought in.

The key to fitting next to Gobert is still being able to score and defend the 4's Gobert is not equipped to handle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)