NBA Offseason 2009

Use this thread to discussion offseason the draft, coaching changes, free agent signing, extensions, trades, etc.

Loki

like seashells
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 7 Championwon the 3rd Official Smogon Tournament
alright lets get this started, here is a handy list of team salaries heading into this upcoming year:

the cap space column assumes that none of the teams resign their free agents. the big players this year are going to be detroit, okc, toronto and minnesota. memphis has the most cap room but they are desperate to cut costs so I dont think you'll see any big free agent signings form them. atlanta will probably resign bibby and marvin williams so they're not likely to have the $10 mil to spend.

everyone else of course can use their MLE (around $5.5 mil this year) although some teams want to avoid the luxury tax. this summer looks like it's going to be a great buyers market for two reasons: 1) because of the recession teams are more hesitant to spend in free agency and are focusing on cutting costs. 2) teams might hold off this year to ensure they have enough cap room to sign players in 2010 aka the year the nba gets remixed. here's a list of some of the notable players that could hit the market this summer:

Unrestricted Free Agents
Jason Kidd
Allen Iverson
Shawn Marion
Mike Bibby
Lamar Odom
Rasheed Wallace
Andre Miller
Grant Hill
Trevor Ariza
Ron Artest
Ben Gordon
Chris Wilcox
Matt Barnes
Drew Gooden
Chris Anderson
Dahntay Jones
Shannon Brown
Von Wafer
Ime Udoka
Joe Smith
Flip Murray
Rodney Carney
Ronnie Price
Steve Novak

Restricted Free Agents
Paul Millsap
David Lee
Marvin Williams
Raymond Felton
Charlie Villanueva
Nate Robinson
Ramon Sessions
Jarrett Jack
Linas Kleiza
Jamario Moon
Channing Frye
Leon Powe
Marcin Gortat
Glen Davis
Brandon Bass
Hakim Warrick
Ike Diogu

Players that will probably opt out
Carlos Boozer
Hedo Turkoglu
Mehmet Okur
Eddie House

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I doubt that we will let either of them go if we win. If we somehow self destruct though I could definitely see Odom jumping ship.

Can the Mavs SNT Kidd or are they going to resign him? It's as if they're going to lose Harris for nothing :|

If the Lakers win, they're probably going to resign both Odom and Ariza.

Meanwhile, win or lose, I'm sure Hedo's going to opt out... The Magic are finally going to feel the pain of the Lewis contract. I know that sometimes you have to overpay, but who else was in the running for him that year?

Gortat's raised his stock somewhat during the course of the playoffs... He's been a solid backup for Howard.

The Iverson trade was a salary dump in anticipation of the 2010 free agent class. If they don't land a big-time free agent there... The misery for Detroit continues. (at least the Red Wings were 1 win away from the championship, and the Tigers are atop the Central, I guess)

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Should the Lakers take Ariza or Odom. I think they should let odom go and take Ariza.
Rumor states that Odom wants to stay in Lakers from his mouth. Chances are if they raise a banner this year, he would want to stay.

There is also a hot rumour involving Ray Allen trade to Memphis grizzlies projected pick (Tyreke Evans) + Darko + filler. Ainge really loves tyreke evans and he wants to deal Ray Allen in this. Hopefully this happens because Ainge is being dumb, they are another favorite to win it all next year, why is he planning to break the core? Well I love if it happened because Im a raptor and magic fan.

New York needs to do something. I can definitely see Steve Nash on the Knicks sometime during the 2010 season.

They can't keep both odom and ariza unless they want to pay a whole lot of luxury tax, also Kobe could also restructure his contract and take less money. Or they could let odom go and get marion, as he is cheaper.:X. Also if I was Memphis I wouldn't take Ray allen, he's like 34 already. Also I wonder what the Spurs and Rockets will do in the offseason.

rasheed to rockets lets make it happen!
God no. He's too old, and frankly has seemed completely disinterested in being the elite defender he once was. And knowing him, he'll probably ask way too much.
Priority needs to be keeping Artest, though I'm not sure after that. I'm not quite ready to give up on Tracy yet - he does have an extremely good trainer for once, and hopefully he might be energetic after all the crap he deservedly put up with this year. Wafer I'm iffy about - I love the guy to hell, but it'll see on how much he wants really. However, we do really need a backup Center, and I'm not sure from where.

I think Mark Cuban needs to pick up someone who can actually play in the post with his back to the basket.

He was on his best behavior this year probably because he was playing for a contract.Will he keep it up once he's shown the money?
I think he will, but that's why I say no more than 3 years for him. Artest seems to genuinely like Adelman, the fact that Alston is gone is another factor (from what I understand, the two did not get along at all), and he's interested in a ring. I also think he really wants a ring, and so he'll continue to be on his behavior.
And as others have observed, where's he going to go? Minnesota and Toronto don't have the room for him, Memphis and Oklahoma City are trash, and LOL at Artest playing for the Pistons for fairly self-evident reasons. Only Atlanta seems that they have the room, and they already have Josh Smith. I don't think keeping him will be too hard for us.

Win or lose, Lakers are going to keep this team together (resign odom and ariza). The only way that is going to fall through is if Odom wants a starting role, and wont accept start spots/6th man role. Ariza is a guarenteed resign, just by how well he has improved this year. Also, im pretty sure Kobe also has an option to opt out this year, but he will stay a Laker until he retires.

As for Cavs + Shaq, that wont have as big of an impact as people would think. Shaq can still play, and is definitely a better option then Z. Theres still a hole that will leave them vulnerable to the Magic, the PF position. Varajao is not a good big man, he relies on flopping when his terrible D is exposed. Z cant play the 4, neither can Shaq. Plus with Big Ben to be involved in the Shaq trade, he wont be there to play the 4.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shaq cannot defend at his age period.

He also cannot shoot outside, which is absolutely essential on that team.

At best he's a 25 mpg backup.

Kobe will opt out.

Not to leave, but to help the team.

By opting out, and signing a new contract of 5 years/100 million (or less), he saves them about 8 million dollars, making it easier to keep the team together.

I think they need to trade for a better PG for the triangle, because both Farmar and Fisher (clutch as he is) get torched defensively.

saving the laker's 1.2 million a year isn't going to help that much when odom/ariza is looking at a combined 15 mil at least and w/e lol shannon brown gets

Whatever happens, this year's Lakers will not stay together past the 2009-2010 season. Most of their players are at their peak or near it, and come 2010-2011 they will need major changes.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
saving the laker's 1.2 million a year isn't going to help that much when odom/ariza is looking at a combined 15 mil at least and w/e lol shannon brown gets
No, it saves them around 6 million this year; his current figure is somewhere around 23 million, if he signs a new deal, it'll be around 17 million.

EDIT:

also the magic are seriously fucking boned

turk can and most likely will ask for max money

they cannot pay turk and shard (and isn't dwight up for resigning soon)

As a celtic fan here is my ideal realistic offseason:

1. Resign marbury & glen davis, and eddie house does not opt out
2. Sign free agent matt barnes with the MLE, if not him jamario moon
3. trade expiring contracts tony allen + scalabrine + 2nd rounder for a backup big man. Just a random name like Nesterovic or Przybilla might be a good fit. (doubt portland will do that deal though, indy doing it is more likely)
4. Extend Rondo's contract

This would fill in all the holes in our roster, and i see this team being incredibly difficult to beat without health issues. I see rondo improving again, marbury being much more effective with another year under him to learn the system.

rondo/marbury
allen/house
pierce/barnes
kg/davis
perk/nesterovic

I see this offseason being realistic, and would really fill the holes we had this season very nicely. I think this lineup would give us a great shot at another title next year, with health being the biggest opponent.

HOWEVER, there is a lot of rumors going around about the celtics being involved in trade talk with the draft, including shopping around ray & rondo. I disagree with this idea, but im ready for something unexpected, apparently ainge loves tyreke evans and is discussing a lot of trades to get into the lottery.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
And after Rondo or Allen get traded for a lottery pick, Kevin Garnett gets life in prison for the murder of Danny Ainge, with Paul Pierce as an accomplice.

The trade I've most heard discussed is Allen for #5, and this unimaginably bad for both teams (Allen makes us better but not as good as the Celtics, and the Celtics are still title contenders)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)