Other Metagames National Dex Camomons: Bee in My Bonnet [351st post RMT special!!!1!11!]

BoingK

back to the lab again
is a Pre-Contributor
mbee with a bonnet.jpg

Hello folks! My name is BoingK and today I wanted to show you a cool team featuring Mega Beedrill, who I think is really cool in the National Dex Camomons format, where it can get rid of it's admittedly poor Bug/Poison typing (this RMT is tagged as Other Metagames: it isn't technically current gen, but it fits more than having a National Dex tag). Let's get into it!

1. Teambuilding process
:beedrill-mega:
This team has had quite a few iterations now, but all of the attempts at building started with this uniquely strong and fast breaker.

:beedrill-mega: :dragapult:
To complement Mega-Beedrill's strong physical power, I wanted a strong special breaker, and Dragapult fit the bill fairly well.

:landorus-therian: :beedrill-mega: :dragapult:
Next, I added a Landorus-Therian - this gives my team another physical breaker that synergises with Mega Beedrill and also gives the team some offensive utility thanks to Intimidate.

:landorus-therian: :mew: :deoxys-defense: :beedrill-mega: :dragapult:
The team now needs A) hazard setters, and B) defensive Pokemon, so I added some tier staples in Mew and Deoxys-Defense.

:landorus-therian: :mew: :empoleon: :deoxys-defense: :beedrill-mega: :dragapult:
To round off the team, I added everyone's favourite bird to give the team hazard control, a Steel-type, and most importantly a Flying-type (now yes I know what you're thinking let me get on to that next).

Full paste: :landorus-therian: :mew: :empoleon: :deoxys-defense: :beedrill-mega: :dragapult: - Nicknames thanks to the amazing Evie

2. Team explanation
:bw/landorus-therian:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 60 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Those of you who don't usually play Camomons are probably utterly lost at this point: why is my Landorus a Ground/Bug type? Well that's the main mechanic of Camomons: Pokemon gain the typing of their first two moveslots. When Siamato was still around, he showed me the utterly ridiculous potential of Landorus-Therian donning this specific type combination. It's actually quite favourable defensively into the metagame, being weak to only Fire-, Flying-, Water- and Ice-type moves, with resistances to Fighting-, Ground-, and Poison-type moves. Why don't you just run Ground/Flying boingk? Cause they only gave this mfer fly :worrywhirl:More importantly, Ground/Bug itself is great as an offensive typing, allowing it to deal huge damage with STAB Earthquakes and complementary Stone Edges and keep momentum with surprisingly powerful STAB U-Turns. It can even potentially Poison switch-ins with Toxic. Landorus is the fastest mon on the team here and delivers a blend of offensive power and utility thanks to Intimidate and its great typing, with Choice Scarf enabling it to overcome it's middling Speed. It also generally acts as the cleaner of the team.

:bw/mew:

Mew @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Flip Turn
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Mew is unbelievably versatile within the National Dex Camomons metagame thanks to its access to close to every move in the game. In combination with its great stats across the board this mon can uh literally do it all! Here, however, it acts as the team's stopgap against various physical threats in the metagame. Water/Fairy is an amazing defensive typing, allowing Mew to switch-in and pivot in strong breakers with Flip Turn, and deal some damage with STAB Dazzling Gleam. However it's main method of making progress will be through the use of Stealth Rock.

:bw/empoleon:

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

Camomons enables Empoleon to forget that it is a penguin and don the amazing Steel/Flying type. Empoleon acts as another defensive stopgap to many threats in the tier, importantly carrying the team's only removal in Defog. With the addition of Roost from Paldea, Empoleon can finally be the defensive behemoth it has wanted to be, but it can absolutely make progress through the use of STAB Flash Cannon (especially when bolstered by it's Competitive ability, also thanks to Paldea) and Toxic.

:bw/deoxys-defense:

Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Recover
- Teleport

Deoxys-Defense with an actual defensive typing is a sight to behold. It is trained specially to take on tier breakers like Dragapult and Hydreigon (set-dependent). Its main form of progress is the use of Spikes and Toxic, but really it's here to switch-in to something, maybe set up a spike or status an opponent, click Recover to stall with Pressure, and then click Teleport to bring in a big breaker.

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- U-turn
- Pursuit

The absolute star of the show. Dark/Poison is fantastic in the metagame with such strong Adaptability-boosted STAB attacks, allowing Beedrill-Mega to function as the team's main source of physical damage, complemented adequately by Landorus-Therian. Mega Beedrill also maintains other utility to the team: Knock Off enables it to remove items that might prove crucial to stopping other threats, U-Turn enables it to keep the momentum going, and Pursuit allows it to trap and remove Ghost-types.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump

Finally, to round out the team, we have Choice Specs Dragapult, the team's special breaker, which can put a lot of hurt into any team with strong STABs in Draco Meteor and Flamethrower. Hydro Pump is preferred to smack some Ting-Lu variants, and U-Turn keeps momentum up at any given time.

:bw/landorus-therian::bw/mew::bw/empoleon::bw/deoxys-defense:

The team is fast-paced, looking to overwhelm opposing teams with fast breakers and lots of momentum (only Empoleon does not carry momentum here). The team aims to win first, but must be more careful into bulkier teams, as the breakers are prone to being worn down by hazards over time. In terms of more specific threats to the team, Dragapult must be played around carefully depending on the set, as it has the coverage to overwhelm the defensive tools the team has. Certain Mega Metagross variants can also cause the team trouble if it carries Thunder Punch, nullifying Mew and Empoleon as checks, and Deoxys-Defense has to be scared of STAB Steel moves and coverage. Certain Galarian Slowking sets are very difficult to break down thanks to the combination of busted typing and Regenerator - this can usually be dealt with Knock Off to remove its Heavy Duty Boots, and careful play to preserve breakers.

3. Replays
Since National Dex Camomons does not have a permaladdder :wo: all of these replays will be taken from the recent National Dex Camomons Seasonal, part of the NDOMs circuit which you should check out rn because it features some great metagames!

R1 vs Ghostlike (L) - I didn't do the team justice in game one and game two was really messy so the replays aren't worth showing.

R2 vs EatFoods (W) - In this set, I brought this team Game 1 and Game 3 and won both those games to win the set.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldexag-2092428962-prpc6t057n9aggsuoexxchgcib468kipw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldexag-2092436818-ej20d83h5r7hylotayh5ezz6cmpduo6pw

After R2 I burnt out and dropped from the tour, but Clas happened to use the same team in R1!
... against the same person KEK

And I would ask for more replays but he has since coinflipped his way to Round 6 (:

4. Shoutouts!
This is starting to drag on a bit so I'll try to keep it short as possible, but I hit a nice landmark (351 posts), and I'd just like to say that Smogon has been an amazing site ever since I joined my first tour way back in 2022 (I remember my Mienfoo missing 2 HJKs :wo::wo:) and there are a multitude of people that I'd like to shoutout. Might miss some people because my memory is shit and it is now half 9 at the time of writing and I really need to go to sleep :worrywhirl:

Bonig yuki @saaaaaakill @stealthhawkdude iiFWM Nalaa @arigatou not all of you guys use smogon regularly but wanted to shout out my mons buddies anyway, you guys are awesome!! also Discordual come back to smogon grr

cat Evie you guys are cool, thanks for being good friends on the site :D

Clas you are one of the most talented players I know, thanks for being awesome!

btw hidin still don't forgive you for disappearing in ndotsl nerd :3

Amstan you are my goat <3

Kinzo seth Runo the only OG Ginkals left, true ones know
zastra nerd

willdbeast BijouMode Tea Guzzler Fardin Career Ended Clementine autumn Celever Stareal s/o the rest of Team UKCanada, OMWC is ours this time

BugGoBrrrrrr TheIronPikachu Hussumon2 some cool draft people, there are probably more but I don't know their IGNs

Other Metagames community as a whole, you guys have been amazing to be around for the past 2 years on this site, hope for much more to come!

Many more are probably missing, but unfortunately, it is now 9:50 pm, and I am about to fall asleep on my computer, so I will close it off here. If you have managed to get all the way to the bottom, thank you, reader! I hope to see you play more Other Metagames soon, whether they be the fantastic current gen metagames or National Dex variants.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)