SM OU Nasty Plot Hoopa-U + DD Tyranitar-M (Reached 1800+)

Introduction

Welcome to my first RMT! I started to play competitively this year and don't consider myself to be a good teambuilder in general, but this team, on which I worked for the longest time, allowed me to reach my highest ELO ever (1830). This team (especially it's building process) synthesizes all I have learnt about this format so far. But, despite all of this and that I think it is decently made, at this moment I am struggling to reach at least 1700. I will really appreciate any kind of help you give me: I know this team could be better but I just don't get how.

Teambuilding Process

It is known that some Pokémon can put particularly immense amounts of work in determined match-ups (MU), like Medicham-M against balance or unaware Clefable against hyper-offence. So the best Pokémon to start building around is the one that can solve the worst MU: stall. I designed this Hoopa set to beat any stall team lacking Ditto just by itself, I'll explain that later so you believe me. We have a strong slow wallbreaker and the Z-move user.

Do I want an entirely reactive team or do I want a defined win condition, which leads to a strategy around it? I have an excellent breaker that may support a set-up sweeper. The problem is that most of these depend on a Z-move to break through. Without an available Z-crystal I opted for the other big buff a Pokémon can get. My set-up win condition will be then a mega evolution. I don't want to deal with the x4 weakness to rocks of Charizard X, DD Latios-M is a gimmick, bullet punch won't sweep, be serious... Anyway, I ended up choosing Tyranitar-M, over Gyarados-M, as Tyranitar is harder to counter (Gyarados-M is hardly stopped by many common bulky grass and water Pokémon), has more defensive utility and I find sand stream really interesting when it comes to chipping away foes and removing rain. We have a secondary wallbreaker, a weather, and a minimally decent sweeper.

I feel comfortable with balanced teams, thus I must start building a defensive backbone. I began with problematic weaknesses to bug (u-turn) and fighting. There are many other utilities any team must gather. For example, my breaker needs volt-turn support to bring him in safely, hazards are annoying... I'm wasting your time: the real question is who is the best pivot and utility gatheter of the tier? Rocky helmet Tornadus. Solid defogger, punishes u-turn, gains momentum with its own u-turn, has access to knock off and can pivot in lots of common threats, chipping them away. That is what we have now (and I have more freedom for the last three team slots as well).

A water-resist is mandatory in any team, and I am pretty weak to fairy by the way. Then came the idea of a regenerator core, since it will not care about the sand. Toxapex and Amoonguss were the options to accompany Tornadus (over Tangrowth, that is weak to toxic spikes and can't remove them for the team and doesn't resist fairy). I chose Amoonguss in order to not double my weakness to electric. And spore is an interesting option that could be more useful in general than toxic spikes or haze. We have a special wall/pivot, t-spikes remover, status spreader and much more.

Two slots left and I don't have a stealth rock user yet. Wait! I have two psychic immunities and one fairy resist but the team is still weak to Tapu Lele. I am weak to ice as well. Hoopa and Tyranitar may have problems with the steel types that are just everywhere. Which is the most useful attacking typing in the tier? But they are weak to rocks. The pick was just evident. Heatran is perhaps the most solid stealth rock user in the tier, and I can't just go without STAB fire. We have a Heatran, a Heatran is a Heatran.

I still have no sort of speed control, and Tornadus has very limited revenge killing capacities. On the other hand, even though with Amoonguss electric types don't exist, they can still gain momentum and keep you pressured; I really don't conceive a team without an electric immunity. How do I deal with ground types, especially with Zygarde? Just one u-turn user, no way! Ok. Even if one tries to avoid it, one will always be returning to Landorus. It is the only Pokémon that can patch what I mentioned. It also offers a second fighting resistance and a second ground immunity (Tornadus can't do everything by itself, right?). Lando is Lando, that is what completes our team.

The Team

About the team in general I may say the following, based on what I have experienced so far:
The ease of the MU is directly proportional to the bulk of the opposing team; It really struggles against offensive teams (especially HO). The rain MU is a priori bad, but Tyranitar may save the day. The trick room MU is easier on the other hand. I'll name some big threats later.
The ideal plan: Amoonguss and Heatran spread status, the latter sets up rocks, Tornadus gets rid of the items, Hoopa decimates the walls, someone brings in Tyranitar and then it proceeds to set up.
Now let's have a deep look at the sets.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Psychium Z
Ability: Magician
EVs: 24 Def / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Nasty Plot

P1 Stall is a group of walls. P2 Without a boosting move it is almost impossible to break walls. P3 Heavy boosters break walls. P4 Unaware walls stop heavy boosters. P5 All unaware walls are physical walls. P6 Stall assumes no special heavy booster breaks Chansey. Conclusion: A special heavy booster that breaks Chansey breaks stall.

Now seriously, Hoopa is the most powerful special wallbreaker of the tier, due to nasty plot and that spammable dark STAB. It can beat all the bulky Pokémon in the tier, with the only exception of AV Magearna, which the team can easily handle. Modest nature and maximum investment is mandatory for stallbreaking purposes. Against stall the goal is to get a +4. It is fast enough to outspeed modest Heatran and only misses the timid speed when facing Gliscor. The little defense investment has a purpose: it minimizes the chance of being 3HKOed by Sableye-M's knock-off, makes it more likely to have more than 101 HP after two of those, if an additional boost is desired in front of Chansey and allows it to live Sableye's knock off + Gliscor's earthquake or standard AV Muk-Alola's poison jab (without poison). Psychium Z is what makes this set special, as it lets Hoopa beat unaware clefable (you need to be a little clever, though). Black hole eclipse is a better neutral nuke, but destroying stall is a little better :). Psyshock lets you break chansey. +4 Dark pulse may OHKO anything else. Originally I was using psychic over HP ground for a more powerful Z-move and STAB damage in general, but then I realized Muk-Alola is a thing in stall teams. Also, many Pokémon that resist its STAB combination are coincidentally weak to ground (Magearna-Mawile, Tyranitar, Bisharp and the aforementioned Muk). And it is pretty useful against Heatran as well (it compensates being outsped by the max speed variant).

The u-turn support of its partners lets it do well against balance. In this MU the Z-move may replace the immediate power of specs or banded Hoopa. Tyranitar appreciates Toxapex and Tapu Bulu (via shattered psyche) being removed as well as any damage on Celesteela and Magearna (thanks to HP ground again).

I always want all my Pokémon to have some defensive utility. Hoopa can check several faster special attackers, due to its awesome bulk. My favourite reference is fire blast Charizard Y. Other Pokémon it beats 1v1 are Alakazam-M, LO Kyurem-Black and Latios-M.

Stallbreaking calcs:
252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Shattered Psyche (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 382-450 (96.9 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+4 252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Psyshock vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 696-820 (99.1 - 116.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+4 252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 345-406 (113.4 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Scizor-Mega: 349-412 (101.4 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Assault Vest Muk-Alola: 214-254 (51.8 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (savage OHKO at +6)
+2 252+ SpA Hoopa-Unbound Dark Pulse vs. 244 HP / 152 SpD Gliscor: 370-436 (105.1 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
While setting up:
0 Atk Sableye-Mega Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Hoopa-Unbound: 90-106 (29.9 - 35.2%) -- 20.1% chance to 3HKO (originally 69%, absurdly)
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa-Unbound: 156-186 (51.8 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Threats:
136+ Atk Muk-Alola Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Hoopa-Unbound: 163-193 (54.1 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Hoopa-Unbound: 151-178 (50.1 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Special bulk reference:
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa-Unbound in Sun: 252-297 (83.7 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Tyranitar-Mega (M) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance

Not the greatest sweeper, I am honest. But it is the soul of the team alongside Hoopa. This guy is weak to everything, but its gargantuan bulk lets it eat anything like neutrally; no Pokémon without fighting coverage could be considered a counter to it (a healthy Bulu is the only thing I can think of right now). The problem is that it has more limited set-up opportunities than its analogous and its coverage moves could be stronger. With the proper service of its teammates, however, it may find a good chance.

Max attack and speed are evident. Jolly nature is needed to outspeed Tapu Koko and anything slower after a single boost. Adamant was tempting at the beginning since Koko and Weavile can do nothing to it, if it hadn't been for Greninja. The coverage is standard and can hit everything at least neutrally. Originally I was running crunch over ice punch, for crunch is a 100% accurate STAB and I wanted to call the team a darkspam, but it was just bad for the team. This ice punch is essential for the team to handle ground types (they just love switching into Tyranitar), and Hoopa can beat all the bulky psychic types, other possible reason for using crunch.

There is no need to say that Tyranitar can put in tons of work when a sweep is not intended: counters a lot of Pokémon (defoggers, ghosts, fire types) and checks many more, abuses x4 weaknesses, kicks up the sandstorm and inflicts massive damage with its super spammable rock STAB. Also, Tyranitar helps with the Ditto problem of Hoopa, as they are always forced to click dark pulse.

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog

This is the Pokémon is use the most, and I guess you know it pretty well as well. The spread is the only thing that is not standard: I only need it to be faster than Serperior (I don't care about scarf Magnezone, there is Amoonguss) and the extra defense is just so useful for better handling Kartana, Medicham-M, Loppuny-M, etc.

What else can I say? People have a pathological need to revenge kill Hoopa with u-turn, so Tornadus will always have fun. Tornadus can also knock off the assault vest from Magearna most of the time because they tend to scout for flyinium Z early game; Hoopa appreciates that. Zapdos don't let the poor be :(. It is my only way to deal with Hawlucha, given that its teammates don't let that broken Pokémon set-up. Hurricane is the big cost one must pay for this awesome Pokémon, but you will be rarely clicking it. (I never rage if I lose due to it, that's how much I do appreciate this Pokémon in general)

VS standard set:
a. 252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 328-386 (90.6 - 106.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
b. 252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Tornadus-Therian: 304-358 (83.9 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
a. 252 Atk Kartana Corkscrew Crash (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 352-415 (97.2 - 114.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
b. 252 Atk Kartana Corkscrew Crash (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Tornadus-Therian: 327-385 (90.3 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Spore
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic

Ash-Greninja answer of the team. I chose this set over the AV set because I wanted to try out spore and spread status in general. Standard spread; it doesn't fear dark pulse, can check Kartana in a hurry and can deal with Gyarados-M. Hidden power fire is mandatory for Ferrothorn and Serperior (breaks substitutes). Spore may hax an otherwise lost battle, or just kick a Pokémon off the scenario for a while. Toxic lets you touch Bulu and Tangrowth, and is sometimes spammable. I run energy ball over giga drain for three reasons: Energy ball breaks Gyarados' substitutes. Energy ball can OHKO Swampert-M with rocks up. Amoonguss has more offensive presence, this is particulary useful against neutral ground types (Landorus, Zygarde...). All instead of a little greedy recovery.

Minimal speed is a gimmick to outplay trick room. Not a serious thing; it won't be in the final import.

What else? With Amoonguss several problematic Pokémon just don't exist: Bulu, Serperior, Keldeo, Koko...

Giga drain VS energy ball
a. 0 SpA Amoonguss Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados: 70-84 (21.1 - 25.3%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO
b. 0 SpA Amoonguss Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gyarados: 84-100 (25.3 - 30.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
a. 0 SpA Amoonguss Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swampert-Mega: 264-312 (77.4 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
b. 0 SpA Amoonguss Energy Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swampert-Mega: 312-372 (91.4 - 109%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp

Well, this is Heatran.

Lava plume, not only because I think magma storm is uncompetitive (as well as focus blast), but because I don't require its stallbreaking services. This fire-type scald deals solid damage and is comfortable to use. Earth power is just mandatory. Rocks. The last slot its very flexible. I love how will o wisp punishes common switch-ins; people just enjoy sending in Gliscor before its orb has activated, and then there are Zygarde and Tyranitar. It also helps against non-substitute Gyarados, that thinks it has free set-up, and Mawile-M. I want it to be as bulky as possible, that's why it only has the necessary speed for Mawile-M. Complements Amoonguss in terms of walling Magearna sets (volt-beam, fightinium Z).

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 Atk / 68 Def / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Slide

And Lando...

I want it to have offensive presence, in order to have a least three Pokémon that can inflict serious neutral damage, so I chose this standard spread with near maximum attack and the minimal speed for Alakazam-M. Rock slide is the only thing that can ensure that the team doesn't get destroyed by Pinsir-M.

There is really nothing to say about lando. Hits incredibly hard, checks almost everything, keeps the pressure...

Threats

Hawlucha 6-0es the team if it gets a boost. Its set-up is not so free, however: it needs to land in Landorus or +0 Tyranitar. You must play around that and sacrifice anything else Hawlucha lands in so that Tornadus can revenge kill it.

The team is very weak to ice. If Kyurem-Black has earth power (sure it does) my switch-in just doesn't exist. A healthy Hoopa may check the LO set, while a healthy Tyranitar-M may check any set.
Mamoswine is a special case: it just destroys the team. I didn't think of it at all when I was building the team (anyone does?). Well, it is generally used as a SR lead; the best option is to lead with Landorus (you survive ice shard) and hope they click rocks on your earthquake, otherwise you will need to sacrifice a big chunk of Tyranitar's HP, or risk a Hurricane.

As I said, rain is a bad MU. Amoonguss may wall Kingdra and Greninja but Swampert is a bigger problem. The priority must always be KO it (Amoonguss survives ice punch, remember that). Manaphy can also be problematic, you will be sacrificing Tornadus for damage.

Also

I'm not an English native speaker, so my text may contain several mistakes, sorry for that :(
I really hope anyone can help me improve the team, I will be grateful :)
Thanks for reading!

La Efigie de los Mahometanos

Hoopa-Unbound @ Psychium Z
Ability: Magician
EVs: 24 Def / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Nasty Plot

Tyranitar-Mega (M) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 Atk / 68 Def / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Slide

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)