Names

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy playing pokemon on here to test teams but im not a fan of some extremely offensive names such as names including n*gg*r. I even told one "yea, good game, even tho your name is highly offensive" and he told me lol stfu. I thought this was supposed to be fun.

thanks for hearing me :)

You can't really run away from racism or prejudice on the internet, sadly :/ Just ignore it, and get on with your life. Not much more you can do.

Yea, and I know theres no "rules" against it, and thats not what im advocating. I guess I just felt like getting that off my chest and wish people were more respectful. The internet shouldnt be an excuse to anonymously spout out racism and such.

"oh its the internet, prepare to be offended" i guess its ok to show a gang rape of a young child or killing people/animals. "its the internet" is a piss poor excuse. I think we can agree that that would be far too much, why is it ok to use one of the worst words in history and tell people to STFU or "go away if you dont like it" if theyre offended.

Im not going to "go away". Im going to play and ignore them. It just honestly makes me sad.

Because it isn't enforced doesn't mean it couldn't be. I think the internet excuse is pretty stupid as well.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nickname censorship is not policeable, nor are we inclined to write some kind of elaborate censor so that people can just say "N1gger" instead and bypass it.

Too hard to enforce for too little payoff.

See, I think it would pay off. Of all the online communities I participate in, the Shoddy Battle main channel is by far the worst. I've seen people attempt to Cyber in that channel.

You don't have to write a censor script. You just have to intervene as a moderator when that stuff happens. You already ban people for asking for battles without a script.

"oh its the internet, prepare to be offended" i guess its ok to show a gang rape of a young child or killing people/animals.
Try 4chan.

The biggest reason for the "its the internet" excuse is that the internet is incredibly vast. That, coupled with 12 year old children that have the power of anonymity, creates lots of unpleasant talk. It's really difficult to avoid.

On Shoddy, however, it could be avoided, with proper moderation. Honestly, though, it doesn't offend me quite as much, so I don't worry about it.

I agree. Its kind of disgusting to see all the offensive names and talk in Shoddy. I also think there should be a limit to how much swear words are used in the chat. Sure, allow a few here and there, but it shouldn't be the only vocabulary used.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Deal with it. Regardless of what you think the Internet "should be", it is what it is. If you're actually offended by what a random stranger does online, then "too bad".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)