SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The concept of generations was a mistake.
Except the concept of generations isn't really an intended thing but the result of how things are done. GF, Pokemon Company, & Nintendo want to make more Pokemon games, each taking place in a new region, introducing new characters, and introducing new Pokemon. GF probably don't even think in "generations", they likely think things within the context of it being a new region. Pokemon Company likely puts more a heavy emphasis on generations as its an easy way to categorize things. I imagine things only get tricky when it comes to remakes because that is when the concept of a generation more comes into play, but that happens long past the development stage of the initial games of a new gen.

If they didn't do "gens", they would still separate things by region. At the very least gens are numbered.

Also, I don't thing gens are a mistake, trying to push a new one out every 3 years or so (which also means pushing out a new game about every year) is the mistake. You can see the affects had not only on the PokeSpe but also the main anime which dropped following the game storyline and does pretty much whatever it wants now.

Mindy being called Mindy and not Jerk.
Mindy? Who's Mindy?

*Checks Bulbapedia*

OH! Come on now, she doesn't deserve to be called "Jerk"... what they should call her isn't allowed in a children's game.

GO GO POKÉ RANGERS! MIGHTY MORBIN POKÉ RANGEEEERS!
(Pokémon Ranger is also a spin-off series on the Nintendo DS.)
Don't forget the Hoenn Rangers Coexistence Force!

Anyway, to change tack completely: this is less of an actual mystery and more a fun thing to come up with lore about, but how do berries' battle effects work? Like I know the real answer is 'to create a satisfying and balanced game mechanic', but why does a mon have to drop to 1/4 health before it can eat its Salac berry to boost its Speed?
Jokes aside, could be the idea of a "holding back/emergency situation" thing. If a Pokemon can defeat their opponent without using the Berry right away, why waste the Berry? Only when the Pokemon has been knocked down to a certain HP threshold does losing become a possibility and the Berry possibly being the only way to turn the tables.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Jokes aside, could be the idea of a "holding back/emergency situation" thing. If a Pokemon can defeat their opponent without using the Berry right away, why waste the Berry? Only when the Pokemon has been knocked down to a certain HP threshold does losing become a possibility and the Berry possibly being the only way to turn the tables.
If you want a contrived scientific explanation thought up in literal seconds from someone who is in no way a scientist, perhaps the pinch berries contain a chemical that boosts a certain stat when it reacts with high levels of adrenaline, meaning that eating it at full health does nothing but under strain the effect will activate.

I'm fully encouraging you to look this up afterward and not take my word for it (heck, I should double-check this myself), but a big reason cows are cited as a (large?) contributor to greenhouse gases is because we're feeding them food they're not meant to eat. Cows are supposed to subsist on wildflowers and grasses, not the corn feed we give them that makes their bodies produce way more methane than they would otherwise.
That is why my family's farm is all natural grass fed cows.

And let me tell you: you can taste the difference. Nothing beats a steak from a grass fed cow. Unlike it is a Tauros filet mignon. :boi:

If you want a contrived scientific explanation thought up in literal seconds from someone who is in no way a scientist, perhaps the pinch berries contain a chemical that boosts a certain stat when it reacts with high levels of adrenaline, meaning that eating it at full health does nothing but under strain the effect will activate.
I had a similar idea, but Pluck/Bug Bite/Teatime throw a spanner in the works (as does Gluttony, to a lesser extent)

QuentinQuonce

I had a similar idea, but Pluck/Bug Bite/Teatime throw a spanner in the works (as does Gluttony, to a lesser extent)
Darn, I forgot about those.

Well, in that case I guess the berries are just effective all the time and genuinely only eaten in need. After all, the item is kept in-game until that point, and obviously can go unused if the holder is knocked out. The same goes for the type-resist berries - it's a slightly weird image for a Pokemon to see an incoming Ice Beam and quickly eat a Yache Berry in the 0.3 seconds before the move hits them, but that does seem to be how it works based on game mechanics. The Enigma Berry only restores health after being hit with a super-effective attack, too, which makes it rather disappointingly worthless since a super-effective attack is quite often likely to simply knock you out - and even if the attack only does 90% and you survive it, gaining back 25% isn't going to save you from the next hit.

I guess it's kind of like Popeye eating his spinach, but the issue is that that only works for some of the Berries and not others. You can see why a Pokemon would retain a potential Speed or Attack boost in reserve as a last resort. But a Defence or Special Defence boost is most useful when applied at the start of battle, not the end, since a +1 boost to your Defence isn't likely to save you when you've only got 10% of your HP left.

This is another one where the Adventures manga presents an interesting contrast. When Emerald's Sceptile fights Noland's Glalie, they grapple and Glalie steadily depletes Sceptile's HP - then the watching Frontier Brains notice that Sceptile is desperately cramming its mouth with Leftovers to try and regain health, which doesn't really fit the way that item is designed to work as far as I'm concerned. Leftovers is supposed to be a gradual, passive restoration, not an "oh crap I'm about to faint, better quickly heal myself up" item to be used in a pinch. One of the pinch berries would have been a much more apt choice in that scene.

(Side note: probably the wrong forum to ask, but what happened to Smogon's item analyses? Time was you could go to a page like https://www.smogon.com/dex/dp/items/ganlon-berry/ and there'd be a little section detailing how generally useful the item was, and what sort of strategies would utilise it. I liked those.)

That is why my family's farm is all natural grass fed cows.

And let me tell you: you can taste the difference. Nothing beats a steak from a grass fed cow. Unlike it is a Tauros filet mignon. :boi:
I'm all about Guernsey cream milk, that stuff is just phenomenal.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Black 2 White 2 Anthea and Concordia.png

So there's absolutely no way these two didn't have bigger roles in an earlier draft of BW, right? You're not gonna convince me that characters this intricately designed and mystical-looking with original Japanese names of, I shit you not, Goddess of Love and Goddess of Peace were always intended to have 7 combined lines total across the entire duology with no battles. Assuming I'm right, what do you think the original plan was, and why was it cut down?

Black 2 White 2 Anthea and Concordia.png

So there's absolutely no way these two didn't have bigger roles in an earlier draft of BW, right? You're not gonna convince me that characters this intricately designed and mystical-looking with original Japanese names of, I shit you not, Goddess of Love and Goddess of Peace were always intended to have 7 combined lines total across the entire duology with no battles. Assuming I'm right, what do you think the original plan was, and why was it cut down?
I imagine the original draft had significantly more detail planned for N's past rather than having it mostly at the end. A lot of the concept art, especially for N (shoutout to the brief time he was missing one of his mouth cheeks), was a lot more dark and serious. I imagine the pair would have showed up throughout the game to give insights to N; or at least show up alongside him during the back half of the game like the sages kinda did alongside Ghetsis.

Probably cut back over time for all kinds of reasons. Pacing, plot edits, juggling the rest of the cast, wanting to let N's past be a thing you sort of stumble upon and make you go "oh....", etc.
It's not a very exciting answer, but with how game development goes, sometimes characters you like and have plans for just slip through the cracks.

QuentinQuonce

In the introduction to my guide for Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, they describe abilities as "an extra power or ability that takes effect in battle, such as a shocking coat of electricity that can paralyse the foe if it hits the Pokemon, or a stubborn resistance to damage once the Pokemon has taken a hit."

Obviously, the shocking coat of electricity would seem to be a reference to Static, which several Pokemon in Hoenn (Pikachu, Voltorb, Electrike et al) possess. But there's no such ability in the game that matches the second descriptor, until Stamina's introduction in Gen VII.

The "stubborn resistance" descriptor may have just been generic, but there are a few other aspects of the book that point to material that was scrapped late in development (Cacophony is listed in the book as a possible ability, for instance) so it got me wondering if Stamina, or something similar in concept, was at one point planned for Gen III - and which Pokemon might have had that ability if so.

In the introduction to my guide for Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, they describe abilities as "an extra power or ability that takes effect in battle, such as a shocking coat of electricity that can paralyse the foe if it hits the Pokemon, or a stubborn resistance to damage once the Pokemon has taken a hit."

Obviously, the shocking coat of electricity would seem to be a reference to Static, which several Pokemon in Hoenn (Pikachu, Voltorb, Electrike et al) possess. But there's no such ability in the game that matches the second descriptor, until Stamina's introduction in Gen VII.

The "stubborn resistance" descriptor may have just been generic, but there are a few other aspects of the book that point to material that was scrapped late in development (Cacophony is listed in the book as a possible ability, for instance) so it got me wondering if Stamina, or something similar in concept, was at one point planned for Gen III - and which Pokemon might have had that ability if so.
My first thought was that it was Study, but Sturdy didn't protect against non-designated OHKOs until Gen 5, making the connection less solid. I suppose it could also refer to Battle Armor. Static, Battle Armor, and Sturdy all have really low index numbers, for what it's worth.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

I think this is either bad translation or bad wording (the people who write the guides generally don't have much of a clue about Pokémon) because of the "resistance" word being included. I imagine they wanted it to refer to something like Thick Fat, where a Pokémon has resistances it wouldn't normally have (and Thick Fat was in Gen III), and just worded it in the most convoluted and inaccurate way possible. Going down the translation angle, it's possible immunity somehow turned into "stubborn resistance" and it refers to something like Wonder Guard or Flash Fire.

Honestly I don't think something like Stamina was planned back in Gen III, in no small part because there aren't really any Pokémon I can see it making sense for. It doesn't even make all that much sense on Mudsdale, in fairness, but I still think it's a very powerful ability by Gen III standards. In some ways Gen III had strong abilities, since many of them played with the type chart in a way we've rarely seen since, but this doesn't feel like Gen III's style.

QuentinQuonce

I think this is either bad translation or bad wording (the people who write the guides generally don't have much of a clue about Pokémon) because of the "resistance" word being included. I imagine they wanted it to refer to something like Thick Fat, where a Pokémon has resistances it wouldn't normally have (and Thick Fat was in Gen III), and just worded it in the most convoluted and inaccurate way possible. Going down the translation angle, it's possible immunity somehow turned into "stubborn resistance" and it refers to something like Wonder Guard or Flash Fire.
This might be it. I also briefly thought of Flash Fire and similar abilities, which are very loosely similar in that they give a resistance to damage once hit (though in FF's case it's an immunity combined with a power boost).

Of note is that the introduction also refers to two nonexistent natures - "Aggressive Pokemon will have higher Attack, and Stubborn Pokemon will have higher Defence" - that roughly correspond with Adamant and Bold/Impish/Relaxed.

Honestly I don't think something like Stamina was planned back in Gen III, in no small part because there aren't really any Pokémon I can see it making sense for. It doesn't even make all that much sense on Mudsdale, in fairness, but I still think it's a very powerful ability by Gen III standards. In some ways Gen III had strong abilities, since many of them played with the type chart in a way we've rarely seen since, but this doesn't feel like Gen III's style.
Well, it being such a powerful ability was my thinking as to why it was scrapped, if indeed it ever was planned. There were probably all sorts of early concepts that would seem unusual or ridiculous now; I've read that at one point they considered changing the number of moves a Pokemon could learn, for instance.

But it being too powerful doesn't necessarily mean that it couldn't have been intended for Gen III - abilities frequently get nerfed/altered between generations, even in the earlier gens, though it's more notable in later gens due to the overpowered nature of abilities such as Gale Wings and Parental Bond.

Last edited:
This might be it. I also briefly thought of Flash Fire and similar abilities, which are very loosely similar in that they give a resistance to damage once hit (though in FF's case it's an immunity combined with a power boost).

Of note is that the introduction also refers to two nonexistent natures - "Aggressive Pokemon will have higher Attack, and Stubborn Pokemon will have higher Defence - that roughly correspond with Adamant and Bold/Impish/Relaxed.
It's probably not meant to be literal natures and more just...flavorful description/interpretation of natures as a whole
Guides tend to do that, even if it doesn't fully match what's going on.

qtrx

cadaeic
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree, it's quite confusing. Same with gender being synonymous with sex, Watts being a currency, horsepower being a measurement of power (thanks, Pokédex!), and Mindy being called Mindy and not Jerk.
Gotta consider the original terms.

In Japanese metamorphosis doesn't really work because it is glossed as either (1) henshin: a more temporary magical-girl style transformation or (2) hentai: insect metamorphosis (as well as worse stuff).

As for gender and sex; they are literally the same word in Japanese.

More like they did. Nowadays they've severely overcorrected.
Such as?
They have a bizarre aversion towards actually explaining things.
Alright, weird personal gripe: who fought who in the Kalos War?
Was it a civil war?
Was it Kalos versus Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh or Unova?
Was it Kalos versus Alola, Galar, or Paldea?
Was it Kalos versus another region that is never referred to for absolutely no reason?
Was it Kalos versus aliens?
Is Kalos a neutral nation somehow?

Another example: the war in the past in the Lucario film.
<-- This one.
WHO. FOUGHT. WHO? AND WHY?
How can I care for a plot-relevant war if you don't know who fought and why they fought!?

The 2-hour tutorials and endless handholding
The lengthy tutorial wouldn't be a problem if they actually explained a good amount of things.

It's a 2-hour tutorial... for "This place can be used to buy items and heal your Pokémon", "Damage the wild Pokémon to catch it", and the generational gimmick. It's a dreadful tutorial because it barely gives information.

That's a matter for another thread, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)