VGC My VGC Team!

Hey all, I am DaemonWhite. I wanted to get into VGC this year, and in the past, I have been primarily a singles player. I have been playing Pokemon since Red & Blue with Blue being my first game ever. I didn't get into competitive breeding until Gen 6 (I tried competitive battling in Gen 5 but got stomped by Landorus...... The nightmares still haunt me). Gen 6 is when I found this community and Showdown. I didn't play competitive in Gen 7 because I just didn't like SM/USUM story wise so I was never compelled to care about my team or the game. I was hype this year to get back into the scene. That's enough about me; why don't we get into the squad? Since breeding them onto cartridge and training this team up, I have found good success. Over the 35 games I have played with this squad, I am 25-10 and I have hovered around a 70-80% Winning Percentage with this squad. Honestly, those losses just came from me either getting outplayed, not paying attention (Clicking Fake Out on the wrong mon), or that one loss I took cause I got out stalled by another Milotic. My current ranking is #5867, and that number has been steadily improving. Let's get to it then Shall We?
rillaboom (1).jpg

Rillaboom @ Iapapa Berry
Ability
: Overgrow
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Drain Punch
- Wood Hammer

So, why are you bringing Rillaboom. Many people have told me he is the worst of this gen's starters by a mile. That's neither here nor there, but I will say I have had alarming success with Rillaboom. I chose Adamant over Jolly for the time being to have a super high chance to OHKO vs Bulky Offensive Tyranitar (252+ Atk Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 204-240 (98.5 - 115.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO), and guaranteed OHKO vs Gastrodon (252+ Atk Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 244 HP / 108+ Def Gastrodon: 472-556 (217.5 - 256.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO//252+ Atk Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 244 HP / 108+ Def Rindo Berry Gastrodon: 236-278 (108.7 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO - but not Guaranteed vs max investment Gastro with Rindo Berry - 252+ Atk Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rindo Berry Gastrodon: 200-236 (91.7 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO), and Rotom-Wash (252+ Atk Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 206-246 (164.8 - 196.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO) with Wood Hammer. Drain Punch also will 2HKO Tyranitar (252+ Atk Rillaboom Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 172-204 (83 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), and I don't particularly recommend using the Drain Punch and sticking with the Wood Hammer your 81.3% chance to OHKO is just a better fit because you don't want to accidentally set off the Weakness Policy by not killing with Drain Punch. Protect is just standard for stalling, don't have to dive too deep in. Now outside of being fabulous Gastrodon-Rotom-W coverage, Rillaboom has a one central role on this team. That is to Fake Out the Whimsicott, and break the Sash. This helps me not only control speed, but it effectively stops the Beat Up or the Tailwind in its tracks when I pair Rillaboom with Chandelure (we will go over The Chandelier of Death).

1576788006290.png

Milotic @ Flame Orb
Ability
: Marvel Scale
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 SpA
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Hydro Pump
- Recover

Here we go boys; this beauty here, amiright? Now before you ask, why only 236 HP EVs? Well cause the 1% extra damage comes in handy. The main threat my team repeatedly met was Intimidate Arcanine, so I added Wall Milotic. Now the only downside to running Marvel Scale Milotic is the consistent burn damage you take. Now a lot of you are thinking, how are you gonna counter Arcanine when they always run Wild Charge? I say drop a Protect first turn to stop the Wild Charge, and bada-bing you have a Burned Milotic. This set up turns Arcanine's Wild Charge (252+ Atk Life Orb Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 236 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 109-130 (54.5 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO --> 252+ Atk Life Orb Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 236 HP / 252+ Def Marvel Scale Milotic: 73-88 (36.5 - 44%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after burn damage) which Guarantees I'll sac the Arcanine with the Hydro Pump (even if I decide not to Fake Out the Arcanine). This isn't the ideal play, but with Recover Milotic is able to heal up and stall out the Wild Charge from Arcanine, making it a perfect add to my team. This also makes it the most cost efficient play as it lets me save certain Pokemon from getting sacked by Arcanine. I really thought about Seismitoad or Quagsire here, but maybe I can bring over my Toxic Milotic when Home comes out (fingers crossed it will go that far back).

1576788020017.png

Corviknight @ Figy Berry
Ability
: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Press
- Roost
- Iron Defense
- Tailwind

Here we go, a beast if there ever one was. After a single Iron Defense, you are tanking even the incredibly powerful Flare Blitz from Gorilla Tactics G-Darmanitan (252 Atk Darmanitan-Galar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Corviknight: 140-166 (68.2 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO --> 252 Atk Darmanitan-Galar Flare Blitz vs. +2 252 HP / 0 Def Corviknight: 70-84 (34.1 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO. The Roost recovery helps as well to stall out opposing Flare Blitz'. Most of the time, people will try to double up on Corviknight, but by the time they realize what they need to do it is much too late. If a single Iron Defense is added to this Bird, Tyranitar stands no chance (+2 0 Def Corviknight Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 232-276 (112 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO, at +6 you will find very many Physical Damage Dealers have very little chance at doing damage, or surviving a +6 Body Press. Most of these calculations are common ones everyone here knows well enough. I also thought of switching out this bad boy with Mandibuzz.

tyranitar.jpg

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
Ability
: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Protect
- Rock Slide
- Crunch

Yeah you guessed it, we are running a Sand Core woooooo. Not much to say besides, he sets the sand and kicks butts (he never runs outta one of those things to do :mehowth:). Weakness Policy helps Tyranitar stomp on major cities, like the 1950's monster movie star he is. There are many occasions where Weakness Policy set up has saved me and done the needed damage post boost. Also, he is my Star Counter for Indeedee-F+Hatterene combo when paired with Chandelure, breaking the Focus Sash on the Indeedee with a Crunch leaving it with 1 HP through the Focus Sash (252 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Indeedee-F: 200-236 (112.9 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO) and having the sand storm finish it off. Superpower does decent damage against an oppo Tyranitar (cough 252 Atk Tyranitar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 260-308 (125.6 - 148.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO). Tyranitar is one of the best Pokemon in the game, and truly deserves its Pseudo-Legendary title.

excadrill.jpg

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability
: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Horsepower
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Protect

"My name is Excadrill, and, in the sand, I'm the fastest Pokemon alive. When I was a Drillbur, I saw my mother get OHKO by something impossible. My father went to prison for her faint. Then, a sandstorm made me the impossible. To the outside world, I'm just an ordinary Mold Breaker, but secretly I use my speed to fight crime and find others like me, and one day I'll find who OHKO my mother and get justice for my father. I am the Sand."

Do I really need to elaborate why Excadrill is here? If you guys want me to, I can. Speaking honestly, however, I was really just being smooth brained and said, "LET'S OUT SPEED EVERYTHING!"

chandelure.jpg

Chadelure @ Life Orb
Ability
: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick Room
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Imprison

M-V-P! M-V-P! M-V-P! M-V-P! Chandelure is the MVP of my time in ranked doubles. I am undefeated against Trick Room team, a perfect 11-0 against the Hat+Indeedee-F lead that has been a staple of Season 1 Ranked Doubles. First, I throw out Chadelure+Tyranitar. 99.9% of the time, Indeedee-F is rocking that Follow Me turn 1, and Hat is going for the Trick Room. Next, I use Imprison effectively sealing off the Trick Room, and Tyranitar uses Crunch to decimate the Indeedee (see above). Turn 2 hit the Hat with a Life Orb Shadow Ball (252 SpA Life Orb Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hatterene: 190-226 (115.8 - 137.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO) and is only surviving with a Kasib Berry. You do need a Life Orb to OHKO the QueenHatter. I know what you're all thinking, having Trick Room just for the Imprison is kind of a waste. I say, "HA, you're crazy". Having Trick Room just cause is great, because you can use it to reset the dimensions when your opponent least expects it or if they start getting too freaky with Tailwind or Max Airstreams you can use it to regain speed control for 4 turns. Speaking of Tailwind, Chandelure can shut down the two most common Tailwind users too (Corviknight & Whimsicott). Versus Whimsicott (after Fake Out damage from Rillaboom), Chandelure will OHKO that Cottony abomination (252 SpA Life Orb Chandelure Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Whimsicott: 218-257 (130.5 - 153.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO). I chose Heat Wave because it doesn't lower SpAtk, and it hits both targets. No Energy Ball means no OHKO on Rhypherior, but I can make up that difference in damage with the right partner. Just if you were wondering, with Chandelure+Rillaboom you can effectively shut down the Beat Up Whimsicott strat.

Main Threats

Dracovish (Sprite).png
- Dracovish - I have no real answer for the Dracovish outside of setting up Trick Room with Chandelure or stalling it with Milotic. If I didn't bring the Milotic, I am in for a long twenty minutes. I have taken seven of ten losses to a Dracovish. I will probably add my own Dracovish when Sand Rush is released. I might still add my Dracovish now.
Arcanine (Sprite).png
- Arcanine - As I stated above, Arcanine can absolutely run roughshod on my squad. If I am not absolutely careful, Arcanine can sweep the wrong four. It has the type advantage on three of my team members, and it learns Close Combat to OHKO the Tyranitar. I also am not a fan of the Intimidate.
1576786994062.png
- Corviknight - Another case of, if I don't worry about it early it could lose me the game. Seeing Corviknight makes me lead with Milotic-Chadelure, I can quickly get in the whole if I am not careful.

1576787722775.png
- Dragapult - I wouldn't say it is a threat as I have Pokemon to deal with Dragapult, but it can still sweep a team if I don't prepare. Really top tier Pokemon, and I just like to be mindful of it.

Other Pokemon I Considered

Dracovish (Sprite).png
1576787246940.png
1576787307488.png
1576787316474.png
1576787372302.png
1576787391935.png
1576787418766.png
1576787461670.png
1576787489170.png
1576787525100.png
1576787561722.png
1576787670949.png
1576787752389.png
1576788222391.png

Just some smaller changes to recommend since the overall team seems pretty solid and you're doing well-

If you're having trouble with Arcanine specifically, I would consider bringing Competitive on it instead of Flame orb. This allows it to hit pretty hard whenever an opposing Arcanine enters with Intimidate, and frees up a slot for something like Sitrus Berry that will still give it a bit more durability and make it less vulnerable to double-targeting.

It's harder to improve your matchup for Dracovish without changing mons, but there's some things you could potentially do. Milotic should imo switch out Hydro Pump for Scald, giving it the ability to at least maybe burn Corviknight and Dracovish to make dealing with them easier for the team. Icy Wind might also be worth considering over Ice Beam if you find yourself in need of more speed control in the bad matchups too.

Finally, I'm just not sure about the Corviknight set. I understand leaning into Corviknight's ability to effectively stall at the end of a game, but this seems a tad excessive. I would run Mirror Armor over Pressure since it's immensely more useful for most parts of the game, and will also help you more with Arcanine and opposing Dynamax. I might also use Brave Bird over Iron Defense. While Iron Defense allows for impressive calcs against mons like Darmanitan, Corviknight is still an extremely solid physical wall without it. Brave Bird on the other hand allows you to actually damage Body Press-resistant things like Dragapult should you need to, and guarantees that Corviknight won't be dead weight when Dynamaxed. With Max Airstream, it'll be gaining useful speed boosts for your side on a decent stab move, as opposed to a weaker fighting move which raises a stat Corviknight won't even use when it's done Dynamaxing.

Finally, more of a personal preference, but I might switch around what Excadrill and Chandelure are running a bit. While Chandelure does need LO to surefire OHKO Hatterene with Shadow Ball, Modest by itself gets you close.

252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hatterene: 306-360 (96.2 - 113.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Running Modest (not sure exactly what Timid is for- if it's vital then just ignore this lol) frees you up to run Focus Sash, allowing your TR to go up when it's needed to save the game with less stress. Excadrill can then use Life Orb, which makes it even more threatening in and outside of sand. If you're worried about opposing Excadrill and Dracovish causing more problems as a result, you could switch from Adamant to Jolly.

but yeah cool team overall, love the fact that somebody's using rillaboom lol

I agree with the above post, except if you want to run Milotic, I would recommend this specific set as I found a lot success with it in VGC 2018 and it will also help solve your Arcanine problems:

1576799960423.png
@
1576800003635.png
/
1576800068482.png
/
1576800290430.png

Ability: Competitive
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam / Icy Wind
- Recover
- Protect

I personally think Adrenaline Orb is the best item for this as you can easily take out Arcanine with your +2 Sp. Atk and +1 Spe. buffs and you can do a lot more damage wise. If you run Sitrus Berry (or Leftovers) > the Adrenaline Orb, then this set still works pretty well and appreciates the survivability buff. If you do go the Sitrus Berry route, I would change up the EVs to be better suited for defensive purposes rather than offensive (Something like this could work: Bold 252/0/76/172/8/0)

Another solution to Arcanine is just a simple item change on Corviknight (Figy Berry -> Occa Berry). This allows you to live a crit Flare Blitz (after it's at -1 from Mirror Armor) or a Flare Blitz when it has no stat drops that you usually wouldn't be able to survive. I run a very similar team to yours and I've seen a world of difference with my Corviknight from changing out my health restoring berry to an Occa Berry (it's super easy to get up an early Tailwind too). I would also change Iron Defense -> Bulk Up since it's easier to have a chance to clutch if your only mon left is Corviknight. Finally, definitely switch Pressure -> Mirror Armor as it’s just too good of an ability to pass up, especially if Intimidate Arcanine is one of the issues for your team. Edit: realized you're running Body Press, so Iron Defense is actually better, but I would personally recommend a STAB move such as Iron Head or Brave Bird and use Bulk Up.

For the Dracovish matchup, my team had issues with it in the beginning, but I added this and it solved most of my issues:

1576618442826.png
@
1576777048442.png

Ability: Levitate
Happiness: 160
EVs: 244 HP / 4 SpA / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect / Helping Hand

This is the set I use and it's been destroying the ladder. The reason I recommend this as your Dracovish counter is because by using Will-O-Wisp, you half its attack and it immediately becomes a non-factor. Rotom-Mow specifically is good because you resist its main attack, Fishious Rend, and the rest of its attacks (besides Ice Fang, which isn't an issue after burn) are neutral. Also, Dracovish is pretty slow and frail, so if you get your Tailwind up (just in case of scarf) early game so you outspeed it and you have an ally who usually wouldn't be able to one-shot it, such as Chandelure, Helping Hand allows for it to be an OHKO. I would change out either Rillaboom or Milotic (if you choose to switch out Milotic though, I would actually use a Rotom-Wash here instead to keep the type variation). I get if you wouldn't want to change those mons out, I just see this as the easiest solution based on what you have.

Overall since you've been finding success, I didn't change too much about the team. This is my first rate, so it may not be the best, but I tried. Cheers and good luck laddering! :D

Last edited:
Just some smaller changes to recommend since the overall team seems pretty solid and you're doing well-

If you're having trouble with Arcanine specifically, I would consider bringing Competitive on it instead of Flame orb. This allows it to hit pretty hard whenever an opposing Arcanine enters with Intimidate, and frees up a slot for something like Sitrus Berry that will still give it a bit more durability and make it less vulnerable to double-targeting.

It's harder to improve your matchup for Dracovish without changing mons, but there's some things you could potentially do. Milotic should imo switch out Hydro Pump for Scald, giving it the ability to at least maybe burn Corviknight and Dracovish to make dealing with them easier for the team. Icy Wind might also be worth considering over Ice Beam if you find yourself in need of more speed control in the bad matchups too.

Finally, I'm just not sure about the Corviknight set. I understand leaning into Corviknight's ability to effectively stall at the end of a game, but this seems a tad excessive. I would run Mirror Armor over Pressure since it's immensely more useful for most parts of the game, and will also help you more with Arcanine and opposing Dynamax. I might also use Brave Bird over Iron Defense. While Iron Defense allows for impressive calcs against mons like Darmanitan, Corviknight is still an extremely solid physical wall without it. Brave Bird on the other hand allows you to actually damage Body Press-resistant things like Dragapult should you need to, and guarantees that Corviknight won't be dead weight when Dynamaxed. With Max Airstream, it'll be gaining useful speed boosts for your side on a decent stab move, as opposed to a weaker fighting move which raises a stat Corviknight won't even use when it's done Dynamaxing.

Finally, more of a personal preference, but I might switch around what Excadrill and Chandelure are running a bit. While Chandelure does need LO to surefire OHKO Hatterene with Shadow Ball, Modest by itself gets you close.

252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hatterene: 306-360 (96.2 - 113.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Running Modest (not sure exactly what Timid is for- if it's vital then just ignore this lol) frees you up to run Focus Sash, allowing your TR to go up when it's needed to save the game with less stress. Excadrill can then use Life Orb, which makes it even more threatening in and outside of sand. If you're worried about opposing Excadrill and Dracovish causing more problems as a result, you could switch from Adamant to Jolly.

but yeah cool team overall, love the fact that somebody's using rillaboom lol
I switched around those moves on Milotic to control the field better, and game one it helped me stall out a Ferrothorn (With Body Press Corviknight of course). After much consideration, I am probably switching out the Milotic.

I agree with the above post, except if you want to run Milotic, I would recommend this specific set as I found a lot success with it in VGC 2018 and it will also help solve your Arcanine problems:

View attachment 213431 @ View attachment 213432 / View attachment 213433 / View attachment 213434
Ability: Competitive
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam / Icy Wind
- Recover
- Protect

I personally think Adrenaline Orb is the best item for this as you can easily take out Arcanine with your +2 Sp. Atk and +1 Spd. buffs and you can do a lot more damage wise. If you run Sitrus Berry (or Leftovers) > the Adrenaline Orb, then this set still works pretty well and appreciates the survivability buff. If you do go the Sitrus Berry route, I would change up the EVs to be better suited for defensive purposes rather than offensive (Something like this could work: Bold 252/0/76/172/8/0)

Another solution to Arcanine is just a simple item change on Corviknight (Figy Berry -> Occa Berry). This allows you to live a crit Flare Blitz (after it's at -1 from Mirror Armor) or a Flare Blitz when it has no stat drops that you usually wouldn't be able to survive. I run a very similar team to yours and I've seen a world of difference with my Corviknight from changing out my health restoring berry to an Occa Berry (it's super easy to get up an early Tailwind too). I would also change Iron Defense -> Bulk Up since it's easier to have a chance to clutch if your only mon left is Corviknight. Edit: realized you're running Body Press, so Iron Defense is actually better, but I would personally recommend a STAB move such as Iron Head or Brave Bird and use Bulk Up.

For the Dracovish matchup, my team had issues with it in the beginning, but I added this and it solved most of my issues:

1576618442826.png
@
1576777048442.png

Ability: Levitate
Happiness: 160
EVs: 244 HP / 4 SpA / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect / Helping Hand

This is the set I use and it's been destroying the ladder. The reason I recommend this as your Dracovish counter is because by using Will-O-Wisp, you half its attack and it immediately becomes a non-factor. Rotom-Mow specifically is good because you resist its main attack, Fishious Rend, and the rest of its attacks (besides Ice Fang, which isn't an issue after burn) are neutral. Also, Dracovish is pretty slow and frail, so if you get your Tailwind up (just in case of scarf) early game so you outspeed it and you have an ally who usually wouldn't be able to one-shot it, such as Chandelure, Helping Hand allows for it to be an OHKO. I would change out either Rillaboom or Milotic (if you choose to switch out Milotic though, I would actually use a Rotom-Wash here instead to keep the type variation). I get if you wouldn't want to change those mons out, I just see this as the easiest solution based on what you have.

Overall since you've been finding success, I didn't change too much about the team. This is my first rate, so it may not be the best, but I tried. Cheers and good luck laddering! :D
This is a really interesting take and analysis on different versions of Milotic and Corviknight. A special thanks goes to you on the breakdown Rotom-Mow. I think this team would benefit greatly from this Pokémon in Exchange for Milotic:
1576816535498.png
@
1576816613737.png

Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Power Whip
- Ice Punch
- Protect

or the Gastrodon. Maybe the Gastrodon

I switched around those moves on Milotic to control the field better, and game one it helped me stall out a Ferrothorn (With Body Press Corviknight of course). After much consideration, I am probably switching out the Milotic.

This is a really interesting take and analysis on different versions of Milotic and Corviknight. A special thanks goes to you on the breakdown Rotom-Mow. I think this team would benefit greatly from this Pokémon in Exchange for Milotic:
View attachment 213454@ View attachment 213456
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Power Whip
- Ice Punch
- Protect

or the Gastrodon. Maybe the Gastrodon
Hmm, I haven’t seen much Seismitoad in 2020, but I definitely think this could work as a dedicated Dracovish counter. Also if you have any testing accounts, I think it would be interesting to see if just the chance that Seismitoad could be in the game could scare away Dracovish from being chosen in the first place (mind games are fun). Tell me how it goes and if you ever need any help, feel free to PM me :D

Hmm, I haven’t seen much Seismitoad in 2020, but I definitely think this could work as a dedicated Dracovish counter. Also if you have any testing accounts, I think it would be interesting to see if just the chance that Seismitoad could be in the game could scare away Dracovish from being chosen in the first place (mind games are fun). Tell me how it goes and if you ever need any help, feel free to PM me :D
I don't particularly care about my Showdown rating, as that is more of the testing grounds for me. After about 10 games this morning w/ Seismitoad, he is kinda meh outside of the Dracovish counter. I think this mon would be better, just cause I don't particularly need the extra Physical damage output, so I switched out Seismitoad for this:

1576852763108.png
@
1576852775486.png

Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Recover
- Clear Smog

If only Toxic was still a TM. T.T

Really though, this is the Pokemon. Gastrodon has a knack for completely stalling out the opposition, if played correctly. I took a lot of what you said about Milotic (I'm thinking Competitive Milotic is the next way to go if this ends up failing). Early returns have this thing dealing with three of the four biggest match up problems. Arcanine is forced to switch on Gastrodon, and Dracovish is forced to switch after figuring out I have Storm Drain. Recover is great just for heal lulz, and Clear Smog is for those Belly Drum users and other set up abusers (although I considered Earth Power). Scald is fun to burn things 30% of the time, 100% of the time. Icy Wind was a good idea, as it lets me control the speed of Dragapult, allowing my team to go first even if I don't get the Tailwind up. Seismitoad was a fun idea; although how my team is constructed, Gastrodon just had a better overall fit.

Another thing I tried your Corviknight build, and it was GANG BUSTERS. Corviknight is fun to use. So my Corviknight is this now:

1576856063247.png
@
1576856128120.png

Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Tailwind

This is best Corviknight, it is so tanky/insane. Bulk Up + STAB Iron Head is still a very good combo, and the main reason I was running Body Press is because it could counter the monster that is Snorlax, but now I can still stall it out with two Bulk Ups, and then +2 Iron Head is doing relatively good Chip Damage versus Snorlax. I chose Iron Head over Brave Bird because the existence of Opposite Tyranitar. I haven’t run into too many fighting types since choosing the former move, but if they become more prevalent then I’ll consider going back to Brave Bird. Thank you for all your input!

Last edited:
I don't particularly care about my Showdown rating, as that is more of the testing grounds for me. After about 10 games this morning w/ Seismitoad, he is kinda meh outside of the Dracovish counter. I think this mon would be better, just cause I don't particularly need the extra Physical damage output, so I switched out Seismitoad for this:

View attachment 213480 @View attachment 213481
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Icy Wind
- Scald
- Recover
- Clear Smog

If only Toxic was still a TM. T.T

Really though, this is the Pokemon. Gastrodon has a knack for completely stalling out the opposition, if played correctly. I took a lot of what you said about Milotic (I'm thinking Competitive Milotic is the next way to go if this ends up failing). Early returns have this thing dealing with three of the four biggest match up problems. Arcanine is forced to switch on Gastrodon, and Dracovish is forced to switch after figuring out I have Storm Drain. Recover is great just for heal lulz, and Clear Smog is for those Belly Drum users and other set up abusers (although I considered Earth Power). Scald is fun to burn things 30% of the time, 100% of the time. Icy Wind was a good idea, as it lets me control the speed of Dragapult, allowing my team to go even if I don't get the Tailwind up. Seismitoad was a fun idea; although how my team is constructed, Gastrodon just had a better overall fit.

Another thing I tried your Corviknight build, and it was GANG BUSTERS. Corviknight is fun to use. So my Corviknight is this now:

View attachment 213487 @ View attachment 213488
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Tailwind

This is best Corviknight, it is so tanky/insane. Bulk Up + STAB Iron Head is still a very good combo, and the main reason I was running Body Press is because it could counter the monster that is Snorlax, but now I can still stall it out with two Bulk Ups, and then Iron Head is doing relatively good Chip Damage versus Snorlax. I chose Iron Head over Brave Bird because the existence of Opposite Tyranitar. I haven’t run into too many fighting types since choosing the former move, but if they become more prevalent then I’ll consider it Brave Bird.
Ayy, I’m glad you’re enjoying the Corviknight set as much as I do. As for Gastrodon, I think it’s a super solid mon (especially with the Icy Wind you’re running since no one really expects it) and it will definitely benefit your team a lot.

Ayy, I’m glad you’re enjoying the Corviknight set as much as I do. As for Gastrodon, I think it’s a super solid mon (especially with the Icy Wind you’re running since no one really expects it) and it will definitely benefit your team a lot.
Thanks to your analysis I was able to unlock true Corviknight. I humbly prostrate myself for you. Thank you!

There is one Pokemon I didn't take into consideration when thinking of threats. That's the Weakness Policy Hawlucha. I have only run into one, but then I thought. Hmmm, its probably one of the most difficult mons to deal with. Throw Unburden on it, with a Sylveon Pixilate Quick Attack. I haven't seen people run this, but it might even better then Seed Hawlucha....

Last edited:
There is one Pokemon I didn't take into consideration when thinking of threats. That's the Weakness Policy Hawlucha. I have only run into one, but then I thought. Hmmm, its probably one of the most difficult mons to deal with. Throw Unburden on it, with a Sylveon Pixilate Quick Attack. I haven't seen people run this, but it might even better then Seed Hawlucha....
Hmm, I’ve seen it a few times, it’s actually a really strong mon if you let it set up on you. I usually just spam double Rock Slide into it lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)