VGC My First Team for Series 9

Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I played VGC, so I thought that I might try my hand at Series 9!

Let's get to the team:

At a Glance

1621115047428.png1621115064147.png1621115086241.png1621115110118.png1621115152307.png1621115170158.png

It's quite a balanced team, centered around the classic Heatran+Cresselia duo. I'm quite unfamiliar with the current VGC metagame, so I've decided to stick to reliable team building structures - for example, a FWG core composed of Heatran, Rillaboom and Tapu Fini. Urshifu and Zapdos provide the essential coverage needed to complete the team. It has been a long time since I EV'd these pokemon, so I may not remember what the spreads do, so please do give EV recommendations!

In Depth

1621115047428.png

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 236 HP / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 100 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Helping Hand
- Ally Switch

The original queen of VGC. Cresselia for me is the perfect fit for this team. My main concern with this slot was a way to answer the various ground types which threaten Heatran, such as Landorus-T and Garchomp. With Levitate and Ice Beam, on top of 120/120/130 defenses, it is an excellent support option. Ally Switch is also a fantastic mechanic to maintain offensive momentum. Trick Room I think is the best speed control, as not only does it provide a way to reverse the turn order, but it can also act as an Anti-TR measure. Skill Swap may be an alternative to Ally Switch, but its utility is mainly limited to Heatran, although it could provide a means to reset the terrain with Rillaboom/Tapu Fini.

1621115064147.png
Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Probably my favourite fire type available. Fantastic defensive typing, as well as great dynamax moves - max flare changes the weather to sun, and max quake/steelspike raise both defense stats. Quite underrated in my opinion. Shuca berry allows Heatran to tank a single ground type move. Pretty basic.

1621115086241.png

Rillaboom (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
Gigantamax: Yes
EVs: 94 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn

The perfect utility for a balanced offense team. I knew I would need a strong counter to Tapu Fini, so Assault Vest Rillaboom is the ideal candidate. It can function both inside and outside of Trick Room with priority Grassy Glide, with Wood Hammer as a powerful secondary STAB option if Misty Terrain is up. Again, nothing too fancy.

1621115110118.png

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 196 SpA / 4 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Protect

This slot was previously taken up by Landorus-Therian forme, but I realised instead that I needed another strong counter to Moltres-Galar and Urshifu, so Fini was the obvious choice. Calm Mind+Heatran's Max Steelspike is a deadly combination. Please let me know if you have any EV spread suggestions!

1621115152307.png

Urshifu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

One of the better Gen 8 designs imo. Urshifu provides the much needed fighting/dark type coverage to round out the team. Focus Sash allows for a bit more flexibility, as Urshifu is not particularly bulky, especially on the special defensive side. Alternatively, a Choice Band set could be quite useful, but I like the flexibility that protect affords.

1621115170158.png
Zapdos @ Life Orb / Safety Goggles
Ability: Static
EVs: 108 HP / 148 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Detect

Flying and Electric coverage are fantastic for a metagame filled with Tapu Fini, Rillaboom and Urshifu. I am intrigued by Safety Goggles as a way to counter VenuKoal leads with Charizard in the back, but life orb is the more consistent option. The EV spread gives a 10n-1 HP number, reducing life orb recoil and affording a bit more bulk.

And that's it! Please let me know what you think! :))

Last edited:
Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I played VGC, so I thought that I might try my hand at Series 9!

Let's get to the team:

At a Glance

View attachment 340710View attachment 340711View attachment 340712View attachment 340713View attachment 340715View attachment 340716

It's quite a balanced team, centered around the classic Heatran+Cresselia duo. I'm quite unfamiliar with the current VGC metagame, so I've decided to stick to reliable team building structures - for example, a FWG core composed of Heatran, Rillaboom and Tapu Fini. Urshifu and Zapdos provide the essential coverage needed to complete the team. It has been a long time since I EV'd these pokemon, so I may not remember what the spreads do, so please do give EV recommendations!

In Depth

View attachment 340710

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
EVs: 236 HP / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 100 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Helping Hand
- Ally Switch

The original queen of VGC. Cresselia for me is the perfect fit for this team. My main concern with this slot was a way to answer the various ground types which threaten Heatran, such as Landorus-T and Garchomp. With Levitate and Ice Beam, on top of 120/120/130 defenses, it is an excellent support option. Ally Switch is also a fantastic mechanic to maintain offensive momentum. Trick Room I think is the best speed control, as not only does it provide a way to reverse the turn order, but it can also act as an Anti-TR measure. Skill Swap may be an alternative to Ally Switch, but its utility is mainly limited to Heatran, although it could provide a means to reset the terrain with Rillaboom/Tapu Fini.

View attachment 340711
Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Probably my favourite fire type available. Fantastic defensive typing, as well as great dynamax moves - max flare changes the weather to sun, and max quake/steelspike raise both defense stats. Quite underrated in my opinion. Shuca berry allows Heatran to tank a single ground type move. Pretty basic.

View attachment 340712

Rillaboom (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 94 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Fake Out
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- U-turn

The perfect utility for a balanced offense team. I knew I would need a strong counter to Tapu Fini, so Assault Vest Rillaboom is the ideal candidate. It can function both inside and outside of Trick Room with priority Grassy Glide, with Wood Hammer as a powerful secondary STAB option if Misty Terrain is up. Again, nothing too fancy.

View attachment 340713

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Protect

This slot was previously taken up by Landorus-Therian forme, but I realised instead that I needed another strong counter to Moltres-Galar and Urshifu, so Fini was the obvious choice. Calm Mind+Heatran's Max Steelspike is a deadly combination. Please let me know if you have any EV spread suggestions!

View attachment 340715

Urshifu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

One of the better Gen 8 designs imo. Urshifu provides the much needed fighting/dark type coverage to round out the team. Focus Sash allows for a bit more flexibility, as Urshifu is not particularly bulky, especially on the special defensive side. Alternatively, a Choice Band set could be quite useful, but I like the flexibility that protect affords.

View attachment 340716
Zapdos @ Life Orb / Safety Goggles
EVs: 108 HP / 148 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Detect

Flying and Electric coverage are fantastic for a metagame filled with Tapu Fini, Rillaboom and Urshifu. I am intrigued by Safety Goggles as a way to counter VenuKoal leads with Charizard in the back, but life orb is the more consistent option. The EV spread gives a 10n-1 HP number, reducing life orb recoil and affording a bit more bulk.

And that's it! Please let me know what you think! :))
Looks solid overall though needs some tweaking. Detect over Protect is better in VGC due to Imprison Protect users who would stop the move from working. uncommon yes but the 8PP of detect will ever hardly matter Detect is better. This team lacks good Trick Room abusers outside heatran who is not even that good of an abuser and the speed control otherwise is pretty middling with Zapdos Max Airstream being your next best option.

Concerns
:Regigigas: :weezing:
This team is very weak to Regigigas + Weezing who are indeed viable in VGC you can look at the Viability rankings. even if get Trick Room up vs most of your team can't threaten Regigigas or even Weezing very well who will likely deal lethal damage before you can handle them.. Urshifu can underspeed Regigigas in Trick Room but weezing can just Will-O-Wisp Urshifu severely reducing its damage output making it an inadequate check. you could use ally switch Cresselia to try and mess with it but that is unreliable for obvious reasons. also trying to swap around Regigigas is hard when your Steel-type is almost 2hkod by Max Strike and Weezing. Regigigas is incredibly powerful and even a naturally bulky pokemon like Urshifu on the physical side at least will be OHKOd by Max Strike.

Regigigas @ Life Orb
Ability: Slow Start
Jolly Nature
- Giga Impact
- High Horsepower
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Weezing @ Focus Sash / Shuca Berry
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Clear Smog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Protect

:clefairy::spectrier:
The combination of Clefairy and Spectrier is also concerning for this team. Spectrier is powerful enough to OHKO Cresselia and Clefairy Protects it from Urshifu using Follow Me. Spectrier also has coverage in Max Quake which makes Heatran an inadequate check. Dynamaxed Zapdos is easily 2hkod by Spectrier Max Phantasm. you really just don't have good answers to Spectrier on your team.

Spectrier @ Life Orb
Ability: Grim Neigh
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (Spectrier can run signifigant physical bulk if it wants to to better handle physical attackers like Urshifu)
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Mud Shot / Protect

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

:Urshifu-gmax: :Nihilego: :Thundurus:
Certain combinations of Urshifu and pokemon like Thundurus or Nihilego could be problematic for this team. NUT Nihilego Urshifu and Thundurus is a less common core in s9 VGC though can absolutely trouble this team as the combination of those Pokemon and Urshifu Threatens the whole team.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Fly
- Superpower
- Protect

Nihilego @ Power Herb / Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam / Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb
- Power Gem
- Protect / Trick Room

:Glastrier:
Glastrier in Trick Room can easily beat Heatran and you don't really have the support for Heatran to beat Glastrier reliably.

Glastrier @ Life Orb / Weakness Policy
Ability: Chilling Neigh
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- High Horsepower
- Close Combat / Swords Dance
- Protect

:Rotom-Heat:
Redirection + Rotom-h looks very tough as you can't threaten it very well and it threatens your whole team with Nasty Plot Boosted attacks.
Rotom-Heat @ Safety Goggles
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Nasty Plot
- Protect

Recommendations to deal with these Strategies
Cresselia isn't very good because its Trick Room setting competition is generally better but since you centered the team around Cresselia + Heatran i won't remove them unless you are fine with that.

:Grimmsnarl:
i recommend Grimmsnarl over Urshifu .Grimmsnarl is generally a great partner alongside Heatran and Zapdos. It can provide Speed Control, Taunt, and other utility like Fake Out. its a great utility Pokemon though the moveset doesn't have all of these you get the idea its good. Replacing it for Urshifu makes most sense to me as that team does not support Urshifu super well and it is also capbable of checking Ghost-Types like Dragapult. I would advise Trick Iron Ball Grimmsnarl. it gives immediate speed control and ground non grounded opponents like Rotom-h making them ground weak and allowing Heatran to beat it. Screens also help Heatran beat Glastrier.

:Togekiss:
I recommend Togekiss over Tapu Fini having a redirector to help reliably set Trick Room helps a lot. Togekiss is a redirector that is able to protect Cresselia from Dark-types like Urshifu and Tyranitar. Safety Goggles would be a helpful item to let Togekiss protect its teammates from Spore and Sleep Powder. Also freeing Zapdos to run Life Orb. Importantly having a Redirector helps immensly vs Regigigas and Weezing. Indeedee is a redirector that checks Spectrier but it has anti synergy with Grimmsnarl due ti Psychic Terrain.

:Tyranitar:
I recommend Tyranitar instead of Rillaboom to have an actual Trick Room Abuser. Tyranitar i think works well here because running Cresselia makes me feel forced to run a very solid spectrier answer. Glastrier and Lapras seemed like overall better options. Mixed Tyranitar can sort of do the same thing with Ice Beam. Tyranitar is also a very solid Rotom-H answer

:Zapdos:
You can run ancient power on Zapdos over Heat Wave to hit Rotom-H which is pretty threatening to this team.

The current version of this team is weak to Tapu Fini though should be managable same with Garchomp.
https://pokepast.es/2341afd54a348c3a Current version of the team.
https://pokepast.es/ff8bb1b77e03bbd2 Current version if no cresselia

Expanation to second team
:Porygon2:
Porygon2 over Cresselia makes dealing with Spectreier much easier.

:Clefable:
Clefable over clefairy is an interesting choice the reason you run clefable here is for the babiri berry helps vs opposing steel-types. and to this team certain Steel-types mainly Metagross in screens can be problematic for this team having the Babiri Berry lets Clefable take one more hit than Clefairy would helping in thwarting Metagross and Heatran. it recently top cut the Victory Road Qualifiers 2

:Regirock:
Regirock is here to handle Rotom-H. Ice Punch and its absurd bulk let it beat Landours-T and Garchomp pretty easily.

Steel-types can trouble this team because of Heatrans weakness to there Ground coverage. Tapu Fini is able to set up on this team fairly easily so it to is threatening relying on Zapdos your own Tapu Fini and Porygon2 to handle it. Opposing P2 can be very problematic with Eerie Impulse if Clefable was KOd

Just some reccomendations i feel if your using Cresselia you need something specific as it is a niche tier 5 Pokemon.

252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Max Phantasm vs. 108 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Zapdos: 187-222 (52.2 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Max Strike vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu: 199-234 (113.7 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Max Quake vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Shuca Berry Dynamax Heatran: 185-218 (46.7 - 55%) -- 64.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Max Phantasm vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Cresselia: 252-299 (111 - 131.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Looks solid overall though needs some tweaking. Detect over Protect is better in VGC due to Imprison Protect users who would stop the move from working. uncommon yes but the 8PP of detect will ever hardly matter Detect is better. This team lacks good Trick Room abusers outside heatran who is not even that good of an abuser and the speed control otherwise is pretty middling with Zapdos Max Airstream being your next best option.

Concerns
:Regigigas: :weezing:
This team is very weak to Regigigas + Weezing who are indeed viable in VGC you can look at the Viability rankings. even if get Trick Room up vs most of your team can't threaten Regigigas or even Weezing very well who will likely deal lethal damage before you can handle them.. Urshifu can underspeed Regigigas in Trick Room but weezing can just Will-O-Wisp Urshifu severely reducing its damage output making it an inadequate check. you could use ally switch Cresselia to try and mess with it but that is unreliable for obvious reasons. also trying to swap around Regigigas is hard when your Steel-type is almost 2hkod by Max Strike and Weezing. Regigigas is incredibly powerful and even a naturally bulky pokemon like Urshifu on the physical side at least will be OHKOd by Max Strike.

Regigigas @ Life Orb
Ability: Slow Start
Jolly Nature
- Giga Impact
- High Horsepower
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Weezing @ Focus Sash / Shuca Berry
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Clear Smog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Protect

:clefairy::spectrier:
The combination of Clefairy and Spectrier is also concerning for this team. Spectrier is powerful enough to OHKO Cresselia and Clefairy Protects it from Urshifu using Follow Me. Spectrier also has coverage in Max Quake which makes Heatran an inadequate check. Dynamaxed Zapdos is easily 2hkod by Spectrier Max Phantasm. you really just don't have good answers to Spectrier on your team.

Spectrier @ Life Orb
Ability: Grim Neigh
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (Spectrier can run signifigant physical bulk if it wants to to better handle physical attackers like Urshifu)
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Mud Shot / Protect

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

:Urshifu-gmax: :Nihilego: :Thundurus:
Certain combinations of Urshifu and pokemon like Thundurus or Nihilego could be problematic for this team. NUT Nihilego Urshifu and Thundurus is a less common core in s9 VGC though can absolutely trouble this team as the combination of those Pokemon and Urshifu Threatens the whole team.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Fly
- Superpower
- Protect

Nihilego @ Power Herb / Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam / Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb
- Power Gem
- Protect / Trick Room

:Glastrier:
Glastrier in Trick Room can easily beat Heatran and you don't really have the support for Heatran to beat Glastrier reliably.

Glastrier @ Life Orb / Weakness Policy
Ability: Chilling Neigh
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- High Horsepower
- Close Combat / Swords Dance
- Protect

:Rotom-Heat:
Redirection + Rotom-h looks very tough as you can't threaten it very well and it threatens your whole team with Nasty Plot Boosted attacks.
Rotom-Heat @ Safety Goggles
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Nasty Plot
- Protect

Recommendations to deal with these Strategies
Cresselia isn't very good because its Trick Room setting competition is generally better but since you centered the team around Cresselia + Heatran i won't remove them unless you are fine with that.

:Grimmsnarl:
i recommend Grimmsnarl over Urshifu .Grimmsnarl is generally a great partner alongside Heatran and Zapdos. It can provide Speed Control, Taunt, and other utility like Fake Out. its a great utility Pokemon though the moveset doesn't have all of these you get the idea its good. Replacing it for Urshifu makes most sense to me as that team does not support Urshifu super well and it is also capbable of checking Ghost-Types like Dragapult. I would advise Trick Iron Ball Grimmsnarl. it gives immediate speed control and ground non grounded opponents like Rotom-h making them ground weak and allowing Heatran to beat it. Screens also help Heatran beat Glastrier.

:Togekiss:
I recommend Togekiss over Tapu Fini having a redirector to help reliably set Trick Room helps a lot. Togekiss is a redirector that is able to protect Cresselia from Dark-types like Urshifu and Tyranitar. Safety Goggles would be a helpful item to let Togekiss protect its teammates from Spore and Sleep Powder. Also freeing Zapdos to run Life Orb. Importantly having a Redirector helps immensly vs Regigigas and Weezing. Indeedee is a redirector that checks Spectrier but it has anti synergy with Grimmsnarl due ti Psychic Terrain.

:Tyranitar:
I recommend Tyranitar instead of Rillaboom to have an actual Trick Room Abuser. Tyranitar i think works well here because running Cresselia makes me feel forced to run a very solid spectrier answer. Glastrier and Lapras seemed like overall better options. Mixed Tyranitar can sort of do the same thing with Ice Beam. Tyranitar is also a very solid Rotom-H answer

:Zapdos:
You can run ancient power on Zapdos over Heat Wave to hit Rotom-H which is pretty threatening to this team.

The current version of this team is weak to Tapu Fini though should be managable same with Garchomp.
https://pokepast.es/2341afd54a348c3a Current version of the team.
https://pokepast.es/ff8bb1b77e03bbd2 Current version if no cresselia

Expanation to second team
:Porygon2:
Porygon2 over Cresselia makes dealing with Spectreier much easier.

:Clefable:
Clefable over clefairy is an interesting choice the reason you run clefable here is for the babiri berry helps vs opposing steel-types. and to this team certain Steel-types mainly Metagross in screens can be problematic for this team having the Babiri Berry lets Clefable take one more hit than Clefairy would helping in thwarting Metagross and Heatran. it recently top cut the Victory Road Qualifiers 2

:Regirock:
Regirock is here to handle Rotom-H. Ice Punch and its absurd bulk let it beat Landours-T and Garchomp pretty easily.

Steel-types can trouble this team because of Heatrans weakness to there Ground coverage. Tapu Fini is able to set up on this team fairly easily so it to is threatening relying on Zapdos your own Tapu Fini and Porygon2 to handle it. Opposing P2 can be very problematic with Eerie Impulse if Clefable was KOd

Just some reccomendations i feel if your using Cresselia you need something specific as it is a niche tier 5 Pokemon.

252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Max Phantasm vs. 108 HP / 0 SpD Dynamax Zapdos: 187-222 (52.2 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Max Strike vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu: 199-234 (113.7 - 133.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Max Quake vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Shuca Berry Dynamax Heatran: 185-218 (46.7 - 55%) -- 64.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Spectrier Max Phantasm vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Cresselia: 252-299 (111 - 131.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Very informative rate, thank you very much!

I've gone back to the drawing board, and here's my next team iteration:

Grimmsnarl @ Iron Ball
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
Careful Nature
- Reflect
- Spirit Break
- Fake Tears
- Trick

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Muddy Water
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Zapdos @ Life Orb
EVs: 28 HP / 4 Def / 220 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Fly
- Swords Dance

Kartana @ Assault Vest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Aerial Ace

Please let me know what you think!

Giokio

#1 Nia simp
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Very informative rate, thank you very much!

I've gone back to the drawing board, and here's my next team iteration:

Grimmsnarl @ Iron Ball
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
Careful Nature
- Reflect
- Spirit Break
- Fake Tears
- Trick

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Muddy Water
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Zapdos @ Life Orb
EVs: 28 HP / 4 Def / 220 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Fly
- Swords Dance

Kartana @ Assault Vest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Aerial Ace

Please let me know what you think!
Hello, after discussing with Yourwelcomthank we agreed that the team needed some more changes in order to deal with some bad matchups. After discussing for a while we came out with the final changes that mitigate your weakness to cartain archetypes. So, first of all, let's discuss the main threats that we identified:

:ss/Spectrier: :ss/Clefairy:
Despite your changes, the team is still weak to this combo, Spectrier can easily shred your team after a nasty plot and since Kartana is slower, it might die before getting to hit Clefairy. Even Landorus can't do anything about Spectrier, getting KOed by boosted Max Phantasm.

:ss/Regigigas: :ss/Weezing:
Without being able to intimidate Regigigas, Landorus gets easily KOed, and the only thing Kartana can do is Stalling until it eventually gets KOed by Flamethrower Weezing.

These matchups were a real autoloss, so adding checks to them became our priority.
This is the final version of the team we came up to: UwU
New Members
:ss/Porygon-Z:
We discussed a lot thinking about some way to check Spectrier and Clefairy without changing the team drastically, and after struggling for a while, a computer virus infected our PCs telling us to use him.
Jokes aside, Porygon-Z is immune to Max Phantasm and can deal huge chunks of damage with Max Darkness as well as KOing Clefairy with Max Strike while slowing down the horse. It can also help against Regigigas if well supported by redirection and this brings us to our next new member.

:ss/Clefable:
"But why didn't they use Clefairy?" You're probably thinking. That's because Unaware helps us deal with boosted Spectrier, and Nasty Plot user in general such as Rotom-Heat. The given evs make sure it can resist a Max Ooze from Gmax Venusaur without losing all the much needed physical bulk. We choose Dazzling Gleam over Moonblast to make sure that Clefable can OHKO Urshifu with redirection, because it's a big threat for our PZ. Clefable can also hold a Babiri Berry, meaning it can take one hit from just about every Steel-type unlike Clefairy. Which is helpful in protecting Heatran against Pokemon like boosted Metagross as it would take two Max Steelspikes instead of one.

Other Changes
:ss/Grimmsnarl:
Since we now have other answers to Rotom-Heat, we don't need Iron Ball anymore, and running screens + Light Clay is a better option.

:ss/Heatran:
Heatran is Missing 2 Defense Ivs, this makes it have one point less than its Special Defense, meaning that Porygon2 is going to get an Attack boost instead of a Special Attack boost, this little change could seem useless, but it could actually save some games.

:ss/Zapdos:
Zapdos has its item changed, Porygon-Z benefits from Life Orb much more, thus meaning that Zapdos has to run something else; we agreed on Safety Goggles because it helps a lot against Sun.

And this is all. We hope you like this team and have fun on ladder.
Feel free to disagree with our changes, and send us another message if something is not clear.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)