ORAS NU My First RMT

Introduction:

This is a fun team I put together that I feel fills out most of the weaknesses that the Pokemon suffer from, but I am not that good at team building, so I hope you guys can help me out a little bit.

The Team:

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Synthesis
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

This is a pretty standard set on Torterra. One thing I changed is that I took out the Stealth Rock for the EdgeQuake combo. I generally like have Stone Edge more because Steelix already sets up Stealth Rocks, and without the Stone Edge Torterra wouldn't be able to hit any Flying-types. Torterra is here so he can tank a hit or two, and then proceed to destroy at least a couple Pokemon. Sometimes he is more useful than others, but he is generally good for at least one KO, or to whittle a lot of my enemy's Pokemon down.

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

This is the standard set for Steelix, but I replaced Toxic with Stone Edge. Steelix is my Stealth Rock setter, and he does his job very well. He is also my main fairy destroyer, and he is good at both of his jobs. Stone Edge is useful against opponents that resist both of my STABs, like Charizard. Heavy Slam is just used as STAB, but can also get to 120 BP, so it can destroy a few lives. The Earthquake is also STAB, and takes out the grounded Fire-types that Heavy Slam isn't that good against.

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 64 Def / 200 SpA
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Dazzling Gleam

Audino is my backup tank. It is one of the bulkiest Pokemon in all NU without being set up, so I went with an offensive set. I send it out against Pokemon who don't do well against Audino, get off a CM, and when they bring in a Steel- or Fire-type I have a fun time. It is very good at surprising things that would pretty much kill me without it, and just clicking its Dazzling Gleam will do a ton of damage.

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

When I was building my team, I decided that I needed some priority and a hazard remover. Hitmonchan fit all of these roles, and had the added benefit of being a special wall.Mach Punch is really good for finishing off Pokemon, or hitting glass cannons, while Drain Punch is there as a way to get good Stab, and help increase the longevity of Hitmonchan. Ice Punch is really just there for coverage against all kinds of Pokemon, and really helps against Golurk, which Hitmonchan wouldn't be able to really touch without it.

Charizard @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]

While I was going through my team, I saw that Fire-types destroyed me thoroughly, and I noticed that I only had one Special Attacker on my team. Charizard helps me out on both of these accounts, and is a fast Pokemon which I thought was needed on such a slow team. Rocks aren't too much of a problem because I have Hitmonchan to clear them, and I also have Roost to heal back the damage that the rocks do to me. Roost is just to stave off the Life Orb for a bit, and to help Charizard to survive. Air Slash and Flamethrower are both STAB and help clear off Grass-types, which I have slight trouble getting rid of. HP Grass is used to KO Pokemon like Quagsire, and *shudders* Rock-types.

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Spikes

After a bit of play testing, I realized that my team lost to any Water-type that had an Ice-type move, which is basically all of them. I added in Cacturne because I can safely switch him in on a Water-type move, and do massive amounts of damage the next turn with Sucker Punch when they tried to hit me with any attack. I was originally running a mixed variant, but then I realized that my only move that was good against Fairy-types was Heavy Slam, so if anything took down Steelix, I lost. Thus, I replaced Dark Pulse with Poison Jab, and I didn't think I needed to run mixed if I only had Giga Drain, so I swapped it out with Seed Bomb, and just became a full out physical attacker. Spikes generally just there for if a have a free moment in battle to set up more hazards.

Conclusion

I feel that this team works very well, but I am not very skilled at teambuilding, so any help that could be provided would be very appreciated.

Hi there. This is a good effort for team building. In particular, you have a pretty solid defensive core.

Some things I'll point out though. First of all, Torterra's EV spread is inefficient, and you should probably go for 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def rather than what you have. Also run Overgrow over Shell Armor (unless you decide to run Curse on Torterra, which would alter its role considerably), because it's far less situational. Moreover, Steelix's Stone Edge is redundant as long as Torterra carries it, so I would advise going back to Toxic to mess with physical walls such as Quagsire and Miltank that might switch in.

Next, I would strongly advise running Fire Blast over Flamethrower for Charizard. Since it doesn't get SpA boosts, you need the extra power. Finally, Cacturne feels a bit out of place on this team, plus it stacks a number of weaknesses with Torterra and Hitmonchan. Since you already have priority from Hitmonchan, I would suggest swapping out Cacturne for Garbodor, which is bulkier and has better type synergy.

Garbodor (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Spikes
-Gunk Shot
-Drain Punch
-Toxic Spikes

This lets you get a lot more mileage out of your teammates since Garbodor has Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Garbodor is surprisingly bulky, and the Rocky Helmet makes it hurt for physical attackers to touch it. Gunk Shot is a shockingly powerful STAB, and until GameFreak gives Garbodor the Earthquake it deserves, Drain Punch is your best option to hit Steel-types. Toxic Spikes could be subbed out for something else, and you could move some Attack EVs to Defense, but this makes a lot of sense to me.

Good luck to you! :)

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi braveheart1, like Explorer mentioned I think Garbodor is a much better fit over Cacturne as it's a much more reliable spiker and its resistance to fighting is very important as you lack any real checks to fighting types aside from charizard and maybe audino. Here is the set I would recommend;
Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Toxic Spikes

The standard for helmet Garbodor in NU, a lot of investment in Hp and Defense is great for making the most out of Garbodor's utility. Seed Bomb or Pain split make good filler options over Drain Punch but the set as it is makes for a good starting point.

>
- Now to my next suggestion, In my opinion, Torterra doesn't fit well on the team. Steelix kind of covers everything that it would want to. Because of that, I recommend you switch Torterra to Swords Dance Samurott. This gives you a very brutal sweeper while also giving you an offensive check to fire types which the team didn't have much for before.
Samurott @ Wave Incense
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn

Lastly, run adamant on hitmonchan, av already cuts into its power a lot and you don't really hit anything relevant by running jolly anyway. Also with Samurott, Audino can probably afford to drop surf, but I'll leave that decision up to you. That's about all I got so hope this helps you out.

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.
Hello braveheart, that looks like really fun team to use, but theres few things id change that would help you improve the team.

First thing I recommend is
>

This gives you a great fighting check and overall a good pivot in team, but it Also gives you a toxic spikes absorber which is very helpful for Hitmonchan not to get weakened by toxic spikes when attempting to spin.
Set:
Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Sleep Powder

Second thing is, i really dont like cacturne on that team, cacturne is pokemon that i think fully offensive teams appreciate ,to help lure things and setup possible spikes before it dies or either Dbond something for another sweeper,so im gonna suggest
>

This way ,your team automatically gets speed control, late game sweeper and pokemon that pairs well in your FWG core.
Set:
Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Baton Pass/Taunt/Hidden Power Electric

And last, im gonna agree on Rapture with Jolly hitmonchan, i dont like jolly nature even on life orb sets, and Adamant will give that punch that AV lacks over jolly nature.
Another thing about it is I would change spread on that Hitmonchan into more defensive one instead of the max speed that you have at moment, just because your team appreciates that little bulk that it needs, so it can deal with things with magmortars/auroruses much easier and take a hit while retaliating back and returning all the health.
Set:
Hitmonchan (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

I hope my changes helped you and good luck ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)