SS OU My First RMT (rain with Kindra, Scizor and Thundurus T

pelipper.gif
kingdra.gif
thundurus-therian.gif
ferrothorn.gif
barraskewda.gif
scizor.gif

INTRODUCTION

Hello, my name is Micktown and welcome to my first RMT. I've been lurking on Smogon for a couple of years on an on again off again basis. I've only just started playing Pokemon Showdown again a few months ago. I've always enjoyed using weather teams, particularly rain, as I feel like rain can showcase the skills of a bunch of underrated mons (Kingdra, Thundurus etc.). I've also always wanted to do an RMT, but the team had to be something that I had success with and could feel confident sharing with people on the forums. I've done reasonably well with this team, peaking in the late 1500's, which I'm stoked with considering that I don't play that often.

THE TEAM

pelipper.gif

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Calm Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Obviously the first mon picked on a rain team. Standard set, nothing out of the ordinary. U-turn is to help it set rain and go. Rest for recovery. Hurricane if I feel like letting it stay in and attack. Defog for hazard removal although I rarely press it as I prefer to leave hazards on my opponents side of the field. Damp rock obviously for eight turns of rain instead of five.

kingdra.gif

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hurricane

Originally this was a specs Volcanion as specs Steam Eruption hits incredibly hard in rain. But I replaced it with Kingdra as specs Hydro Pump has similar power in rain. It also serves as a fire and water switch in (because Barraskewda is too much of a glass cannon). It does do a couple of things better than Volcanion. It has Swift Swim and access to Draco Meteor to outspeed Garchomp, Dragapult and Dragonite. Hence I use it over Volcanion. Hydro Pump and Draco Meteor are hard hitting STAB. Surf if you want accuracy. Hurricane for the bulky grasses.
thundurus-therian.gif

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder
- Weather Ball
- Focus Blast

Thundurus T offers several useful things to the team. A ground immunity, an electric immunity (thanks to Volt Absorb) and the only setup mon of the team. Nasty Plot for boosting. Thunder for 100% accuracy. Focus Blast for mons like Ferrothorn or Tyranitar (although its an all or nothing move as it either results in an OHKO or a miss). Weather Ball as a boosted Water type move in rain. Against opponents, often it is the same set of plays. I pivot Thundy into a Water resist, the opponent switches into Lando T, I click Weather Ball, Lando is OHKO'd. Heavy Duty Boots is for the Stealth Rock weakness as I like to switch this mon into electric attacks to regain health and I can't afford the Stealth Rock damage.
ferrothorn.gif

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Body Press

Ferrothorn is pretty much a must have on rain. Its main role on this team is to switch in on things that it resists and set as many hazards as possible. Stealth Rock and Spikes are the hazards. I used to have Leech Seed over Spikes for extra recovery, then switched it to Spikes and saw how much the team appreciated having extra hazards on the field. Gyro Ball to pressure Tapu Lele, Clefable and Kyurem. Body Press for Tyranitar, Excadrill, Bisharp, Kartana, Magnezone and opposing Ferrothorn. Leftovers to give it some recovery after taking hits.
barraskewda.gif

Barraskewda @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 12 Def / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flip Turn
- Liquidation
- Psychic Fangs
- Close Combat

Barraskewda has just a standard Choice Band set. Between Barraskewda and Kingdra I have two Swift Swim abusers that can both hit hard on the physical and special side. With hazards on the field, the two of them really put pressure on opposing water resists. Liquidation is a must have for huge damage. Flip Turn if I want to switch out (usually on the last turn of rain). Psychic Fangs can 2HKO Pex (and is a way to remove screens without removing hazards). Close Combat is its most powerful non STAB attack and is normally reserved for Ferrothorn.
scizor.gif

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Quick Attack
- Knock Off

Originally this was a Corviknight with Eject Button, but what I really needed was a Steel type mon that could hit hard. So I went with Choice Band Scizor. It has strong priority in Technician boosted Bullet Punch. I also gave it Quick Attack for Steel resists (mainly the Rotom forms). U-turn for a hard hitting pivoting move and Knock Off to get rid of so many defensive items from the mons that switch in on it. Mainly Leftovers, Rocky Helmets and Heavy Duty Boots.

THREATS
kyurem.gif

Specs Kyurem Freeze Dry is a nightmare for rain. I tend to lead Ferrothorn in this match up and place rocks first up knowing it can take a hit. If Kyurem stays in, I Gyro Ball. Play aggressively when you see this. Send Pelipper in on another mon and try to get Kingdra or Scizor in. Both of these mons can outspeed and OHKO.
dragonite.gif

Dragonite can be problematic with its combination of Multiscale, Heavy Duty Boots, Dragon Dance and Roost. Kingdra can outspeed in the rain and OHKO with Draco Meteor after Dragonite gets to +2, even with Multiscale intact. Barraskewda and Scizor can weaken it. Another mon to play aggressively against as it can set up on you and be extremely difficult to manage if you're too passive.
bisharp.gif
blacephalon.gif
dragapult.gif
gengar.gif

Speedy Ghost and Dark types. We don't have a resists to these so it often means sacking a mon. In particular, if Bisharp gets to +2 and uses Sucker Punch with Black Glasses or Life Orb it real difficult to manage.

CONCLUSION

Thanks for taking the time to read this RMT. It's my first one so I really appreciate it. Feel free to use the team as well as provide any comments, compliments and constructive criticism. Remember the key to winning with this team is to set up rain and hazards and let your rain abusers do the work. It's real simple and easy to play and eventually all the pressure overwhelms your opponent if you play aggressively. Have fun.

Hello Micktown! This is a very cool rain team, and it looks very similar to a rain team I made last month. Anyways, rain is definitely my favorite weather, and here are some changes I made to the team that might help this team out a little bit:

:ss/ferrothorn: :rocky helmet:
Iron Head > Gyro Ball
As you already mentioned, Kyurem is a huge threat to rain teams. This is why Ferrothorn should run Iron Head over Gyro Ball, so that SubRoost Kyurem won't be able to stall out Gyro Ball's PP.

:ss/scizor: :heavy duty boots: / :leftovers:
In conjunction with the previous change, I highly suggest changing the Scizor set to a Specially defensive set so that it would be able to handle Kyurem and Tapu Lele better.

:ss/kingdra: :choice specs:
Lastly, I really think that adding Ice Beam or Flip Turn instead of Hydro Pump or Surf would be beneficial to the team, as Flip Turn generates momentum and Ice Beam hits Dragonite harder.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Calm Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Flip Turn
- Draco Meteor
- Surf / Ice Beam / Flip Turn
- Hurricane

Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder
- Weather Ball
- Focus Blast

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Body Press

Adamant Nature
- Flip Turn
- Liquidation
- Psychic Fangs
- Close Combat

Scizor @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn / Swords Dance
- Roost
- Knock Off
Have a great day and hope I helped :blobwizard:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
In addition to VTaxi 's suggestion, I would also suggest replacing :kingdra: with :tornadus-therian: or :zapdos:. In addition to :Kyurem:, :Rillaboom: is another pokemon that preys on rain teams. Without a hurricane user, Rilla pries rain teams apart. You do have Scizor but, well

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rillaboom Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 363-428 (129.1 - 152.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rillaboom: 177-208 (51.9 - 60.9%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
0 Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rillaboom: 88-105 (25.8 - 30.7%) -- 2.9% chance to 4HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra in Grassy Terrain: 216-255 (74.2 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Having a hurricane user allows you to turn Rillaboom from predator into prey. Tornadus is the best one for the job because of its speed and access to nasty plot while Zapdos is another option if you want to continue using thunder. In short, never build a rain team without a flying type hurricane user. You do have Kingdra but you are not gonna have a guarantee that you will be able to keep it above 87% at all times so it's better to be safe than sorry. Here are the sets for them

Tornadus-Therian @ Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Substitute / Weather Ball

Zapdos @ Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Static
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Thunder
- Hurricane

Hello Micktown! This is a very cool rain team, and it looks very similar to a rain team I made last month. Anyways, rain is definitely my favorite weather, and here are some changes I made to the team that might help this team out a little bit:

:ss/ferrothorn: :rocky helmet:
Iron Head > Gyro Ball
As you already mentioned, Kyurem is a huge threat to rain teams. This is why Ferrothorn should run Iron Head over Gyro Ball, so that SubRoost Kyurem won't be able to stall out Gyro Ball's PP.

:ss/scizor: :heavy duty boots: / :leftovers:
In conjunction with the previous change, I highly suggest changing the Scizor set to a Specially defensive set so that it would be able to handle Kyurem and Tapu Lele better.

:ss/kingdra: :choice specs:
Lastly, I really think that adding Ice Beam or Flip Turn instead of Hydro Pump or Surf would be beneficial to the team, as Flip Turn generates momentum and Ice Beam hits Dragonite harder.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Calm Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Flip Turn
- Draco Meteor
- Surf / Ice Beam / Flip Turn
- Hurricane

Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder
- Weather Ball
- Focus Blast

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Body Press

Adamant Nature
- Flip Turn
- Liquidation
- Psychic Fangs
- Close Combat

Scizor @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn / Swords Dance
- Roost
- Knock Off
Have a great day and hope I helped :blobwizard:
Hey man, thanks for the rate. I've tried out the suggestions and they worked really well. I won several matches and got up to the 1650's. The change that worked the best was the specially defensive Scizor. It made the Tapu Lele match up easier, as Tapu Lele sweeps the team once Ferrothorn goes down and it stops raining. Also acts as a switch in to Kyurem which I didn't really have. Iron Head on Ferrothorn is also good for extra PP. I haven't encountered sub roost Kyurem sets with Pressure, but that's another threat to the team.
Also, I had a look at your rain team, and yes, it is similar. The thing about rain teams is that most of the mons are going to be similar because they effectively pick themselves (e.g. Pelipper, Ferrothorn). I like the way your old team had specs Volcanion and Blastoise as a Shell Smasher.
Have a good day and thanks for your rate.

In addition to VTaxi 's suggestion, I would also suggest replacing :kingdra: with :tornadus-therian: or :zapdos:. In addition to :Kyurem:, :Rillaboom: is another pokemon that preys on rain teams. Without a hurricane user, Rilla pries rain teams apart. You do have Scizor but, well

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rillaboom Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 363-428 (129.1 - 152.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rillaboom: 177-208 (51.9 - 60.9%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
0 Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rillaboom: 88-105 (25.8 - 30.7%) -- 2.9% chance to 4HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra in Grassy Terrain: 216-255 (74.2 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Having a hurricane user allows you to turn Rillaboom from predator into prey. Tornadus is the best one for the job because of its speed and access to nasty plot while Zapdos is another option if you want to continue using thunder. In short, never build a rain team without a flying type hurricane user. You do have Kingdra but you are not gonna have a guarantee that you will be able to keep it above 87% at all times so it's better to be safe than sorry. Here are the sets for them

Tornadus-Therian @ Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast

Zapdos @ Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Static
Modest Nature
- Roost
- Thunder
- Hurricane
Hey man, tried both suggestions and actually felt more comfortable with Tornadus. The Rillaboom match up is a lot easier. I was managing Rillaboom OK with the previous team, but as you said, there is no guarantee I can keep Kingdra's HP high enough to avoid it being KO'd by Grassy Glide. The best way I dealt with Rillaboom was to find a way to get Scizor in and U-turn on it. It OHKO's with a Choice Band and if Rillaboom switches out, it can still pivot out into something else, keeping up momentum. But with me dropping the Choice Band, it won't be able to OHKO. So Tornadus definitely makes it easier. Thanks for your rate.

Hey there! Dope team.

I ran a similar build last gen. This is a highly effective, balanced rain structure for ladder play. Lets elaborate:

Pelipper - Standard Pelipper. Consider using Relaxed nature and 0 Speed IV for slowest U-Turns and turn 1 weather control vs. Tar and Hippo.

Kingdra - Kingdra is great for all the reasons you described. Hydro Pump is the least important move in my opinion as the only notable OHKO it picks up this gen is Tapu Lele (Surf only 50% chance at full health). Flip Turn and Ice Beam are both options in that slot.

Thundurus-T - Underrated mon. Focus Blast is fine on paper but Grass Knot is more consistent in practice. It hits Hippowdon, Gastrodon, and Swampert harder (and more reliably) and still can KO a slightly weakened Tar at +2.

Ferrothorn - Double Hazard Ferro is a great mon for rain! I suggest Power Whip as the attack for hitting water types. Most notably CM Tapu Fini. who you have no other switch in for. Toxic allows Ferrothorn to keep hazards down on Defog users not named Corviknight, while also preventing it from being set-up fodder to all the offensive mons it invites in. Specially defensive Ferrothorn is better for rain, for switching into Specs Kyurem (early game to lay hazards) and Dragapult. Finally, Chople Berry lets Ferro lay an additional layer of hazards vs. fighting coverage moves.

Barraskewda - is redundant with Kingdra. Rain shouldn't use two swift swimmers, as they serve the same function and only double up on the amount of bad matchups. I recommend switching Barraskewda to Crawdaunt. Crawdaunt is a strong wallbreaker that gives Knock Off support and checks Bisharp. It also improves the matchup vs. fatter builds. Swords Dance is better for most players but Choice Band has superior longevity. Both work, try them out. A tip for using Crawdaunt with Kingdra; if you use Crawdaunt to Knock Off Ferrothorn's Leftovers (and >50% of its health), it no longer walls Kingdra.

Scizor - is another great mon for rain! Scizor is unique in being the only real priority sweeper with Swords Dance + recovery. Make use of that. Scizor improves the matchup vs. Kyurem and Dragons. I suggest using a more aggressive Swords Dance set with Sand Tomb. Sand Tomb can remove checks Magnezone and Heatran on the switch in, opening a sweep later. More importantly, it can trap and remove rain's biggest enemy - Toxapex. Don't worry about the Slowbros/kings, they are Crawdaunt bait.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Relaxed Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Flip Turn

Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Weather Ball
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Swords Dance

Scizor @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Sand Tomb
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for your rates. Sorry it took me ages to reply. I've had 3 rates for the team and I've been testing them all. So that took a lot of time. After testing the teams, some things worked and some things didn't. I made a few changes of my own and got to the 1600's, which was higher than the original team.
Pelipper/Kingdra/Thundurus- Gonna do all these 3 at once as I barely changed them. Gave Pelipper a relaxed nature for slower weather control against Tyranitar and Hippowdon. Dropped Surf or Hydro Pump for Ice Beam on Kingdra to pressure Dragonite better. Finally, dropped Focus Blast for Grass Knot to hit Gastrodon, Tyranitar and Hippowdon better. Shout out to RaikouLover for the changes.
Now for the next 3 slots which all underwent big changes.
Ferrothorn- Still a hazard stacking mon, but I invested in defense and gave it a rocky helmet to punish mons who u-turn on it. I gave it Iron Head for Kyurem, Clefable and Tapu Lele. Toxic to punish switch ins.
Barraskewda/Crawdaunt- Thanks heaps to RaikouLover for suggesting Crawdaunt. This mon has been amazing. The only thing I didn't like about it was the item. I didn't like being locked into a move, or the life orb recoil. It already has rain to power up it's water type stab. So I gave it Black Glasses to power up it's Knock Off and used it to bluff opponents into thinking it was a Choice Band set. It's worked amazingly well because after knocking off an item, I can use liquidation in the rain without them expecting it.
Scizor- Shout out to VTaxi for suggesting I go specifically defensive here. It makes Kyurem and Tapu Lele easier to handle. I changed a couple of moves though. I dropped Knock Off and Quick Attack for Sand Tomb and Roost. Sand Tomb for trapping Pex and Roost for recovery. Finally, I gave it boots so it can switch into attacks and not lose HP.
Thanks for your rates, guys. Much appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)