ORAS OU My First RMT! Mega Lop ft. Excadrill reaching 1650

Mega Lopunny featuring sand rush Excadrill

I have made quite a few teams but really liked this and wanted some opinions on how to make it even better. It features a very powerful Mega Lopunny, which is one of the most solid megas in this metagame. It also has Excadrill with sand and some bulk with amoongus. After playing some games I saw some weaknesses, especially mega Sableye and fatter teams. Just wanted some opinions on the team and maybe be able to fix some flaws.

Mega Lopunny

Dem Thighs (Lopunny-Mega) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Facade

So this is the star of the team. Mega Lopunny has become one of my favourite pokemon and it is really good in this metagame with its amazing speed and attack, along with its abilty and typing. This is the main attacker of the team. It deals really well with all the steeltypes running around like Heatran and Ferrothorn aswell as just punching holes through my opponents team. This things speed is amazing allowing it to outspeed common threats like Weavile, Latis and Serperior. The fake is good for coming in, using scarppy Fake Out and then getting out. This set is pretty standard except the move Facade. I love Facade on Mega Lop because it doesent care about burns, making it able to beat Rotom-W and Mega Sableye one on one.

Lando-T

Mr.Man (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

This Lando-T is the primary defencive backbone of the team, aswell as beeing the rocker. The main goal for this Lando-T is to counter some of the physical threats running around like Excadrill, other Landos and especially Talonflame. Every team needs a good bird counter. It is also one of the best Stealth Rockers in the game beeing able to come in on a physical pokemon, lower the attack with Intimidate and then proceed to put up the rocks. It sets up rocks on other Landos and Garchomp and then beeing able to U-Turn to possibly get some momentum. The set is the standard defencive set with max attack and defence, but with some speed. The speed is just for random speedcreeps someone might pull because of how common Lando is.

Excadrill

Driller (Excadrill) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Ecadrill in sand is one of the most scary sweepers in the OU. I also wanted a spinner and a steel type. Excadrills main jon is to sweep late game with the sand up. It blows back every team that doesen't have a Rotom-W, which we have a great counter for anyways. It also destroys fairys like Cefable and other fire types, along with out-speeding scarfers in the sand like Lando and T-Tar (which is amazing!). This the standard set with max attack and speed. I like the jolly nature because it was some good speed even if the sand ain't up. Life orb for extra power and rapid spin for removing hazards.

T-Tar

Egyptian Godzilla (Tyranitar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam

With Excadrill comes Tyranitar automatically. You need something to set the sand up and who better than this beast. I also wanted some more speed and scarf T-Tar brings that. Tyranitar is the most amazing pursuit trapper. Beeing able to take a life orb draco from a Latios and coming in on a Starmies rapid spin and then trapping them makes this pokemon amazing. As said it is Excadrills other half and just a great scarfed attacker with an good attack stat. The Ice Beam is for Landos and Garchomps who usually stay in on a T-Tar. It does up to 80 % to a Tank Chomp and and OHKOs a Lando after rocks.

Keldeo

Dildo-Resolute (Keldeo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]

I needed some kind of wallbreaker and what else that a specs Keldeo. It is meant to break through walls like Garchomp, Heatran and Ferrothorn so that Excadrill and Mega Lop can sweep later on. It also hits all the groundtypes running around and has the best move in the game, Scald. The set is quite standard but I like the hidden power electric to hit incoming watertypes on the switch-in like Azumarill and Slowbro.

Amoonguss

Skee Skee (Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 212 HP / 104 Def / 40 SpA / 152 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I decided I wanted some more bulk on my team and I needed a counter to Keldeo and other watertypes that just destroyed me. Amoonguss is here mainly to counter that Keldeo and then putting something to sleep. It is also an amazing counter to Azumarill which is compeletly walled by this. The set is mixed defencive so its able to take on physical attackers like Azu and special attackers like Keldeo. And the HP-fire is so that this can beat Ferrothorn one on one and deal some damage to Skarmory and Mega Scizor.

Conclusion

So this is the team. It is great against balance and offence, but it is not that good against stall and fatter teams with Mega Sabeleye. Talonflame is also something that can be an issue if Lando is gone considering 3 of the mons are weak to flying. It also get destroyed by water types if Amoonguss is gone . I hope some of you enjoyed reading and have som helpful tips to improving the team.

Pastebin

http://pastebin.com/GXKZ00sW

-alizorro

Last edited:

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi,
Your team looks amazing, and it is a great example of a sand offense. However, here are a couple of things wrong with the team and my thoughts on how to correct them.
First of all, as you mentioned with your team, stall bothers your team. In particular, Amoonguss really frustrates your team and you have little to no answers to it. The first change I'd like to make is running Choice Banded Tyranitar over Choice Scarfed Tyranitar. The role of Tyranitar was to act as a sand setter and trap the Lati twins and Starmie. Banded Tyranitar OHKOs qllof these Pokemon with Pursuit if they stay in, a feat which Scarfed Tyranitar fails to accomplish. Additionally, it can live a LO Hydro Pump from full even after Stealth Rocks, while the Scarf Tyranitar needs a low roll to take a Hydro Pump from full. Choice Banded Tyranitar also has the stallbreaking potential your team desparately needs as it can 2HKO all of stalls Pokemon, bar Chesnaught with only Quagsire resisting its stab Stone Edge and Clefable resisting Crunch. Even though Choice Scarfed Tyranitar can kill Starmie with Crunch without taking any damage, as well as killing Gengar, with Crunch, irrespective of Focus Blasts accuracy, I feel the trade off is largely positive
Secondly, while Landorus's role is to act as a check to bird spam, Tyranitar also does that. Mega Pinsir may beat Tyranitar, but Landorus cant switch in to it if it hadn't Mega Evolved,getting 2HKOd by return. Also, while checking power physical ground types is something that it does best, other Pokemon like physically defensive Tangrowth can also do the same. That is why i would suggest running offensive Stealth Rocks Heatran over Landorus-T and Tangrowth over Amoonguss.
With these changes Tyranitar begins to feel overworked, and you are a little lacking on the special side. Keldeo feels unnecessary as we already have a way to deal with stall, and I would suggest specially defensive Zapdos, who not only uses Defog, which gives Excadrill the ability to act as a win condition, but also checks Mega-Pinsir and helps Tyranitar against Charizard Mega Y. It deals with waters too an extent, as well as Tank Chomp. With Heatran in, Will-O-Wisp seems like a smaller problem, so Id suggest running Ice Punch on Mega Lopunny.
That concludes my rate and feel free to ask questions.

Edit:Reformatted the sets
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 180 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Hidden Power Ice
- Defog

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Hi,
Your team looks amazing, and it is a great example of a sand offense. However, here are a couple of things wrong with the team and my thoughts on how to correct them.
First of all, as you mentioned with your team, stall bothers your team. In particular, Amoonguss really frustrates your team and you have little to no answers to it. The first change I'd like to make is running Choice Banded Tyranitar over Choice Scarfed Tyranitar. The role of Tyranitar was to act as a sand setter and trap the Lati twins and Starmie. Banded Tyranitar OHKOs qllof these Pokemon with Pursuit if they stay in, a feat which Scarfed Tyranitar fails to accomplish. Additionally, it can live a LO Hydro Pump from full even after Stealth Rocks, while the Scarf Tyranitar needs a low roll to take a Hydro Pump from full. Choice Banded Tyranitar also has the stallbreaking potential your team desparately needs as it can 2HKO all of stalls Pokemon, bar Chesnaught with only Quagsire resisting its stab Stone Edge and Clefable resisting Crunch. Even though Choice Scarfed Tyranitar can kill Starmie with Crunch without taking any damage, as well as killing Gengar, with Crunch, irrespective of Focus Blasts accuracy, I feel the trade off is largely positive
Secondly, while Landorus's role is to act as a check to bird spam, Tyranitar also does that. Mega Pinsir may beat Tyranitar, but Landorus cant switch in to it if it hadn't Mega Evolved,getting 2HKOd by return. Also, while checking power physical ground types is something that it does best, other Pokemon like physically defensive Tangrowth can also do the same. That is why i would suggest running offensive Stealth Rocks Heatran over Landorus-T and Tangrowth over Amoonguss.
With these changes Tyranitar begins to feel overworked, and you are a little lacking on the special side. Keldeo feels unnecessary as we already have a way to deal with stall, and I would suggest specially defensive Zapdos, who not only uses Defog, which gives Excadrill the ability to act as a win condition, but also checks Mega-Pinsir and helps Tyranitar against Charizard Mega Y. It deals with waters too an extent, as well as Tank Chomp. With Heatran in, Will-O-Wisp seems like a smaller problem, so Id suggest running Ice Punch on Mega Lopunny.
That concludes my rate and feel free to ask questions.

Edit:Reformatted the sets
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 216 Def / 48 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 180 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Hidden Power Ice
- Defog

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock
Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. You have some good points there and I especially agree with the T-Tar beeing banded, not sarfed.

Hey. I don't have anything to add to this team, I'd just like to say that me and another person coincidentally build a very similar team a few weeks ago. Yours seems considerably better though, I will try it.

http://hastebin.com/dodovegoqo.md
Haha the two teams are almost exactly the same. The only major difference is that I used a Keldeo instead of Volc. Though I really like Volc I just think that the speed and STAB of Keldeo is just slightly better on the team. But what a coinsidence tho!

Hey alizorro, this is a pretty solid sand build. I feel like it is pretty weak to Life Orb Tornadus-T however, since it can Superpower your Flying resists in Tyranitar and Excadrill, then OHKO your three Flying weak Pokemon with Hurricane as well as easily 2HKO Landorus-T (assuming it doesn't have HP Ice). Your team also lacks a win condition, is relatively weak to M-Scizor, Calm Mind Slowbro, Substitute + Calm Mind Keldeo, and M-Alakazam which outspeeds your whole team (including Excadrill if it gets Sand Rush through Trace) and OHKOs everything bar Landorus-T and potentially Amoonguss which can't even 2HKO it. My rate will focus on fixing these issues while still keeping the offensive nature of your team, help maintain and improve your team's synergy, as well as provide you with a win condition.

First, to help with your weakness to Tornadus-T and M-Scizor, I think you should run Rotom-W > Keldeo. Unlike Keldeo, Rotom-W reliably checks M-Scizor since it has recovery for better longevity and can burn it with Will-O-Wisp rather than fishing for Scald burns. Rotom-W also checks Weavile for longer than non-RestTalk Keldeo, and has also an easier time revenge killing Belly Drum Azumarill. Next, you should run Clear Smog > Hidden Power Fire on Amoonguss since this allows you to check Calm Mind users like Slowbro, Clefable, and Keldeo which could otherwise boost to the point that they beat you 1v1 unless you get multiple consecutive crits. I'd also say to run a more physically defensive Amoonguss since it needs good physical bulk to take Diamond Storm from Diancie, take Psyshock from (Mega) Slowbro and Slowking, as well as sponge Returns from opposing M-Lopunny.

Next, to help with your weakness to both Alakazam formes, you should run Chople Berry Tyranitar > Choice Scarf Tyranitar. This also helps with Gengar and Charizard-Y since it allows you to sponge Focus Blast and retaliate with either Pursuit, Crunch, or Stone Edge to take them out. And since Chople Berry Tyranitar can function as your Stealth Rock setter, I'd suggest you run Talonflame > Landorus-T. This provides you with a form of priority, a win condition with Swords Dance, and something to pivot into M-Gardevoir. Talonflame also alleviates your team's weakness to opposing Amoonguss and M-Venusaur which your team didn't have to clear cut way to break, and it can burn walls like Landorus-T, Hippowdon, Slowbro, Quagsire, Garchomp, and etc. with Will-O-Wisp to support Excadrill and M-Lopunny in cleaning teams late game. Lastly, you should run Ice Punch > Facade on M-Lopunny to not only break bulky Ground types for Excadrill and Talonflame, but also help revenge kill Swords Dance Garchomp and Gliscor which can pose a threat to this team.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Impish Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch / Ice Beam (run Relaxed Nature if you use Ice Beam)

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 216 HP / 200 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 92 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog
Hope i was able to help!

Hey alizorro, this is a pretty solid sand build. I feel like it is pretty weak to Life Orb Tornadus-T however, since it can Superpower your Flying resists in Tyranitar and Excadrill, then OHKO your three Flying weak Pokemon with Hurricane as well as easily 2HKO Landorus-T (assuming it doesn't have HP Ice). Your team also lacks a win condition, is relatively weak to M-Scizor, Calm Mind Slowbro, Substitute + Calm Mind Keldeo, and M-Alakazam which outspeeds your whole team (including Excadrill if it gets Sand Rush through Trace) and OHKOs everything bar Landorus-T and potentially Amoonguss which can't even 2HKO it. My rate will focus on fixing these issues while still keeping the offensive nature of your team, help maintain and improve your team's synergy, as well as provide you with a win condition.

First, to help with your weakness to Tornadus-T and M-Scizor, I think you should run Rotom-W > Keldeo. Unlike Keldeo, Rotom-W reliably checks M-Scizor since it has recovery for better longevity and can burn it with Will-O-Wisp rather than fishing for Scald burns. Rotom-W also checks Weavile for longer than non-RestTalk Keldeo, and has also an easier time revenge killing Belly Drum Azumarill. Next, you should run Clear Smog > Hidden Power Fire on Amoonguss since this allows you to check Calm Mind users like Slowbro, Clefable, and Keldeo which could otherwise boost to the point that they beat you 1v1 unless you get multiple consecutive crits. I'd also say to run a more physically defensive Amoonguss since it needs good physical bulk to take Diamond Storm from Diancie, take Psyshock from (Mega) Slowbro and Slowking, as well as sponge Returns from opposing M-Lopunny.

Next, to help with your weakness to both Alakazam formes, you should run Chople Berry Tyranitar > Choice Scarf Tyranitar. This also helps with Gengar and Charizard-Y since it allows you to sponge Focus Blast and retaliate with either Pursuit, Crunch, or Stone Edge to take them out. And since Chople Berry Tyranitar can function as your Stealth Rock setter, I'd suggest you run Talonflame > Landorus-T. This provides you with a form of priority, a win condition with Swords Dance, and something to pivot into M-Gardevoir. Talonflame also alleviates your team's weakness to opposing Amoonguss and M-Venusaur which your team didn't have to clear cut way to break, and it can burn walls like Landorus-T, Hippowdon, Slowbro, Quagsire, Garchomp, and etc. with Will-O-Wisp to support Excadrill and M-Lopunny in cleaning teams late game. Lastly, you should run Ice Punch > Facade on M-Lopunny to not only break bulky Ground types for Excadrill and Talonflame, but also help revenge kill Swords Dance Garchomp and Gliscor which can pose a threat to this team.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Impish Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch / Ice Beam (run Relaxed Nature if you use Ice Beam)

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 216 HP / 200 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 92 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog
Hope i was able to help!
Thanks for the answer. I really agree with all the points you have made and I will try out the new sets u suggested :)

Presonally i would run the BROKEN IMP ZAMROCK keldeo with sd, x- scissor, aqua jet and closecombat. the sets are cool but you lack the neccesary heat. perhaps a lower-tier mon like scyther?

Presonally i would run the BROKEN IMP ZAMROCK keldeo with sd, x- scissor, aqua jet and closecombat. the sets are cool but you lack the neccesary heat. perhaps a lower-tier mon like scyther?
I am a bit weak to stall and fatter teams, and I do definatly need some heat. Maybe THE VILLAGE CHRUSHER Ursaring might be a good idea?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)