My First OU Team

First I want to say that I kind of suck at teambuilding. I just kind of threw mons together that seemed good with little care for synergy other than typings, but I seem to have come up with something decent, and found some success with it. Also, I'm very new to the forums, so please bear with me if this is a bit scuffed.

Goku (Urshifu-Rapid-Strike) @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Surging Strikes
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn

The wall breaker of the team. I initially picked urshifu because I was surprised to find it in OU after playing SS, but after using it with this team a bit I found it to be a good choice. Teleporting or U-turning into urshifu has proved to be a good way to get it on the field easily and let it take down a mon or two before it is forced to switch out again.

Bird? (Tornadus-Therian) (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

This spot was initially Landorus-T with a really weird swords dance + defog set, but I realized that I was basically never using swords dance and that Tornadus-T was a way better defogger with regenerator. Plus, it's nice having hurricane for the fighting type pokemon that I struggled to kill before. This change is probably the best thing I've done for the team.

Blissey @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic
- Teleport

This spot was initially Chansey with eviolite, but the eviolite would get knocked off sometimes and then it would just be objectively weaker than blissey. Plus, having heavy duty boots is nice to switch in on someone who sets a lot of traps and then teleport out into Tornadus-T to defog and clear them for the rest of my team. Also, I've tried using thunder wave instead of toxic, but most of my other pokemon are either too fast to care about it, or too slow to benefit from it, so I decided to switch it to toxic to force switches from the opponent.

Big Rhino (Rhyperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn

I initially put Rhyperior on my team because I just liked it as a pokemon and wanted to include it, but I have found it to be a really bulky stealth rocker and a surprisingly heavy hitter with its ground/rock type moves. Rhyperior has won me a decent amount of games by surprising an opponent with an OHKO or doing significant damage to something.

??? (Dragapult) @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Draco Meteor
- Hex
- Thunder Wave

Half my team is weak to fighting type moves, so Dragapult is incredibly nice to have as a pivot against fighting types. After that, I can either U-turn out, or just click thunder wave if I'm sure they're going to switch. I haven't found myself actually using its attacking moves as much, but when I do they are a decently powerful option.

Plant (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Finally, we have Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn is a very strong pokemon to lead with, with its incredible bulk and ability to leech seed plus leftovers, Ferrothorn can be incredibly difficult for the opponent to deal with. Then you can either click knock off to weaken an opposing pokemon, or set up spikes. Plus, it makes for an amazing switch in for a lot of situations, especially against fairy types.

I’d recommend replacing rhyperior with tyranitar. Overall, ttar functions as a way better stealth rocker, because while rhyperior can throw off stronger attacks, ttar is faster, has much higher Sp Def (plus the boost from sand stream), and doesn’t suffer from the quad weaknesses to grass and water. As an example, a scald from a scarf fini does up to 70% to rhyperior, but does at most 23% to ttar. Plus, sand stream opens up opportunities for stuff like weather ball tornadus, which can really smack stuff like zapdos.

Also, if you think the team has a fighting weakness, try using toxapex over ferrothorn. Still a hazard setting physical wall, but with a fighting resist.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
Alternatively, you could always use the defensive Landorus T set for Stealth Rocks since unlike Rhyperior, it doesn't need to invest in Speed, hits just as hard and can also get momentum off U-Turn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)