My First 5th Gen OU [RMT]

INTRODUCTION
Two days ago I downloaded PO in order to begin development of BW OU team. Having no initial knowledge of the new meta-game (aside from the tier list) I decided to go about the team creation process in a relatively elementary manner.

1. I will base the team around my favorite new Pokémon: Hydreigon.
2. I will NOT use Heatran, Metagross, Celebi, Vaporeon, Gliscor, or Scizor as they where very frequently members of my 4th generation teams and the MAIN appeal of the new generation is the opportunity to switch things up and use some different Pokémon. And thus, I began building my team.

Team Building Process:

At a Glance:

Hydreigon was a given. Not only does he look awesome, but he has a monopoly on a type combination I have been waiting for since generation 2.

With Hydreigon at the front lines, I need someone to take the hits he can't. Thus I brought in another 5th Generation newcomer, Ferrothorn. The Grass/Steel typing allows him to take the dragon and bug moves that will inevitably be fired in Hydreigon's direction.

Ferrothorn comes at a cost. Additional Fighting and Fire weakness. Furthmore, Ferrothorn is not too keen on taking an extended amount of Ice attacks. I decided to address the Fire and Ice issue first by bringing in a classic, Ninetales.

With 2/3's of an FWG core already in my team I figured I might as well round it off with a water Pokémon. Gyarados helps Ferrothorn take physical hits with his Intimidate as well as covering the final problematic weakness, fighting, and can potentially sweep with his powerful physical attacks.

While Gyarados adds a slue of resistances and an immunity to my team he also brings in some issues of his own. Dugtrio was to help take the electric attacks aimed a Gyarados as well as revenge kill any major threats on my opponent's team.

Dugtrio seemed too frail and Stealth Rocks appeared to be a major threat with 2 of my pokemon being x2 weak, so I decided to bring in 2 Pokémon that could not only prevent my opponent from setting up, but also deal with hazards once they hit the field.

A Closer Look:

Hydreigon (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast

The second I saw this thing I knew I had to use him, regardless of what tier he would turn out to be placed in. I mean, come on, it's a 3 headed evil dragon! But I digress. Having little experience with the 5th generation meta-game I decided to opt out of choicing Hydreigon and go for a fake choice in order to possibly score some free kills when my opponent tries to force me out. The moveset is fairly straight forward, however I decided to run Flamethrower over Fire Blast as I don't lose any vital KO's and the improved accuracy is worth gold in my eyes. I was additionally considering dropping Focus Blast for HP Fighting but feared the power drop would be too significant.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Not only can this monster of a Pokémon take hits till the cows come home, but he can also heal himself using Leftovers and Leech Seed. Rotom, Jellicent, and Blissey stared at him in horror as he leeches away their health while pounding them into submission with his Power Whip. Spikes don't need an introduction. Thanks to his fantastic typing it's very easy to get up 2-3 layers, crippling my opponent with every switch.

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SDef / 136 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Flash Fire Ninetales has proven to carry quite the element of surprise with its popular Drought inducing cousin terrorizing the meta-game. It gets many opportunities to switch in on Chandelure and Scarf-Tran allowing me to sub up and cripple the next Pokémon switches in. Its natural special bulk rounds off the team quite nicely as few special sweepers can deal an ample amount of damage to Nintales barring a super effective hit.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 176 HP / 128 Atk / 204 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Stone Edge

Bulky and brutal, the way Gyarados was intended. He takes hits and retaliates like a truck. Thanks to Taunt he can hinder my opponent from setting up, and Dragon Dance allows him to easily set up and sweep given the opportunity. Scizor, a major threat to my team, has very little to deal with Gyarados who easily sets up and initiates a sweep. He complements Hydreigon well by hitting my opponent hard from the physical spectrum, while Hydreigon covers the special offense.

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Needless to say, Stealth Rock are extremely problematic to my team as they hit both Gyarados and Nintales for 25%. This is very counterproductive as these are both Pokémon meant to take hits. Donphan also allows me to revenge kill a Dragonite after a DD as well as Scarf Flygon who could otherwise steamroll my team. He also enables me to set up Stealth Rocks of my own while my opponent switches out.

Espeon (F) @ Light Clay
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Psychic

Espeon is the natural lead, forcing out many of my opponent's leads and continually making set-up a risky business for as long Espeon stays alive thanks to Magic Bounce. Reflect and Light Screen further help my fairly defensive team take hits while Psychic allows it to revenge kill dangerous fighting types like Conkeldur and Infernape. Hidden Power Fighting allows me to bring Cloyster down to it's focus sash which could otherwise annihilate my team after a Shell Break.

Top 5 Threats:

This behemoth needs no introduction. The stone musketeer is capable of hitting 4/6 of my team for super effective damage. Espeon can revenge kill him, so long as he doesn't sport a scarf, but does not enjoy taking hits from him. Gyarados can weaken him using Intimidate and shrugs off a close combat but if I over-predict and take a Stone Edge I'm down a Poké. My only semi-safe option is Donphan but even the stone-hard elephant does not wish to take more than two hits from this tank of a Pokémon.

Magnet Pull is the bane of my existence. If my opponent manages to trap my Ferrothorn it is almost always game over for me. I've considered running shed-shell on Ferrothorn, but the lack of Leftovers is very problematic as I can not always get a Leech Seed off and stay in to heal off of it.

Espeon makes short work of it but aside from that it can annihilate my team with Chain-Link Icicle Spear and Rock Blast.

With the majority of my team being in the moderate to high speed range, Trick Room is a massive issue. The only Pokémon that can move comfortably in the strange dimension are Donphan and Ferrothorn. Barring a taunt from Gyarados it is difficult to prevent my opponent from setting up, and I often find myself getting forced out as my opponents twists and turns the field to his advantage.

Batons Pass threatens me in a similar way Trick Room threatens me. If I can't prevent it when it first begins to go off it almost always spells my doom.

Thoughts and Ideas:

- The first change I was considering was changing Hydreigon to a choice-scarf set and switching him from sweeper to revenge killer.
- I was also considering dropping Ice Shard for Roar on Donphan as it would enable me to end Baton Pass chains using sturdy, but I lose the ability to revenge kill +X Dragonite.
- I was also considering giving Ferrothorn a Shed Shell to decrease the threat of Magnezone, however that would severely hurt his ability to heal himself. This could be amended by giving Espeon Wish, however it currently has no moves that I can comfortably drop to add Wish.

Conclusion:

So there you have it, my first attempt at a 5th Generation OU team. It's solid and gets lots of wins but seeing the above mentioned threats in the team viewer almost always means a loss. All thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

~Ifeno~

Looking at this team I want to say great job first of all for your first RMT. (Cue Applause)

Now Getting into your team, Ninetales is used purely because of it's ability to induce permanent sun. For a flash fire user you would be better off using Specially Defensive Heatran. Not only will this neuter one of your Stealth Rock weaknesses but it will also allow you to soak up Specially Offensive hits. It will also soak up the fire attacks that threaten to dismantle Ferrothorn.

As you said that Gyaradoswas meant to take hits I think you would be better off using it as an attacker as the set you listed is used primarily as an offensive one, not to mention you lack any other boosting sweeper on this team leading me to point number 3.

As Gyarados is used as a physical sweeper, Espeon could be shifted to a Bulky Calm Mind set. This allows for coverage on both ends of the spectrum and allows you to deal with opposing Ferrothorn with Hidden Power Fire which you can barely touch bar Ninetales.

As the last fix I recommend to go with the Choice Scarfed Hydreigon as it allows you to hit opposing dragons so that you don't automatically lose once they set up a DD and to go along with this a Choice Band Scizor over Donphan as it takes care of your Terrakion problem and adds excellent offensive momentum to your team with it's ability to use STAB U-Turn.

In conclusion:

TL;DR

Ninetales---->SpDef Heatran

Bulky CM Espeon

Donphan------>CB Scizor

Hydreigon---->Choice Scarf

Sets

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 100 SDef / 160 Spd
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Will-O-Wisp

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

P.S. I know you said you would not use Heatran specifically but it would assist you greatly and in, I assume, a much different way in generation V

Thanks for the input! Don't get me wrong, I won't be so ignorant as to blatantly refuse to use a certain poke if it's what I need to make the team work. I'd just PREFER to find another way. I'll go ahead and Gen those up and see how they work!

Thanks for the input! Don't get me wrong, I won't be so ignorant as to blatantly refuse to use a certain poke if it's what I need to make the team work. I'd just PREFER to find another way. I'll go ahead and Gen those up and see how they work!
No problem, it's the reason I come on. Always inspiring to see new people play Gen V and hoping they'll become good enough to challenge the pro's one day!

=D

After some testing, it seems Scizor does not infact solve my Terrakion problem. He still does not like switching in on Terrakion's attacks and although he can KO it with Bullet Punch or Superpower, he rarely gets the opportunity to do so. Scizor essentially faces the same problem as Espeon and Gyarados. All 3 can kill Terrakion but it almost always takes a sacrifice or a prediction in order to do so.

BulbaSword

all I ever wanted was to see you smiling
I suggest replacing your gyarados with an Acrobat Gliscor it would completely wall terrakion and allow you to set up as well if you want to. Heres the set

Gliscor@Flying Gem | Sand Veil
Nature Adamant | 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Substitute / Swords Dance / Acrobatics / Earthquake

I suggest replacing your gyarados with an Acrobat Gliscor it would completely wall terrakion and allow you to set up as well if you want to. Heres the set

Gliscor@Flying Gem | Sand Veil
Nature Adamant | 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Substitute / Swords Dance / Acrobatics / Earthquake
Sadly this is kind of wrong, Terrakion can come in and destroy Gliscor's subs's with Stone Edge as well as deal a hefty amount of damage.

After some testing, it seems Scizor does not infact solve my Terrakion problem. He still does not like switching in on Terrakion's attacks and although he can KO it with Bullet Punch or Superpower, he rarely gets the opportunity to do so. Scizor essentially faces the same problem as Espeon and Gyarados. All 3 can kill Terrakion but it almost always takes a sacrifice or a prediction in order to do so.
Bullet Punch OHKO's any commonly used variant of Terrakion and if you get switched on you should predict it and use U-Turn as nobody familiar with the metagame will stay in with Terrakion on a Scizor.

BulbaSword

all I ever wanted was to see you smiling
Sadly this is kind of wrong, Terrakion can come in and destroy Gliscor's subs's with Stone Edge as well as deal a hefty amount of damage.

Bullet Punch OHKO's any commonly used variant of Terrakion and if you get switched on you should predict it and use U-Turn as nobody familiar with the metagame will stay in with Terrakion on a Scizor.
Yes you're right about that but its the best counter to terra becuase scizor is just a check, if he doesn't mind not setting up he can use standard defensive gliscor.

Gliscor@Toxic Orb | Poison Heal
Nature Impish | 252 Hp / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Toxic / (Taunt / Ice Fang / Facade) / Protect / Earthquake

The only thing's I've found that truly outright wall Terra is Nidoqueen, however her usefulness to my team does not extend very far beyond defeating Terra. Claydol, Cress, and Gliscor partnered with Ferro can also take on Terra, but it seems the only way I'll be able to reliably kill Terra without losing anyone is simply to predict the switch and either hit him on the switch, or switch into something that will force him out. That being said, whichever pokemon I choose will likely end up replacing donphan. I WOULD really like to run a spinner on my team as even with Ninetales being replaced by Tran, I still have Gyara to worry about. Simply due to my play-style I practically need to be able to switch freely, let alone the fact that it is very counterproductive to have a FWG core when one of it's members dislikes to switch in. So I was considering dropping Gyara for a more bulky water like Rotom-W, Jellicent, or Suicune. If I do so, I will lack a really physically offensive pokémon so I'll end up not replacing Ninetales with Tran, but Ape instead. That would put my team at

Scarf-Hydreigon
Ferro
Claydol/Cress/Gliscor
Infernape
Jellicent/Rotom-W/Suicune
Espeon

thoughts on this? I'll post some more in depth sets I was considering in a bit when I have the time for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)