SM OU My Bulky Offense Team

This is a team I'm incredibly fond of. There's been a few iterations over time but this is the best version.

475Gallade-Mega.png

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

It should be pretty evident but this is my chief offensive Pokemon. With a single swords dance it can decimate offensive and bulky Pokemon alike. The choice of moves allows it to hit as many Pokemon as possible and hit really hard. He usually sees action early on as a way to either crush walls or punch holes in a team.

250px-036Clefable.png

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Fire Blast

There's stallbreakers... and then there's Clefable. With Magic Guard and reliable recovery this fairy can just completely wreck any stall Pokemon that thinks they can just sit on this team. There is the issue that she innately struggles with Toxapex but Toxapex can't do much in return so it would be a stalemate.

900px-642Thundurus-Therian.png

Thundurus-Therian @ Focus Sash
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt

Similar to Mega Gallade this thing is a speedy offensive beast. However, he attacks from the special side meaning his targets are the opposite of Gallade's. The two form a vicious one-two punch and with a Nasty Plot boost it has no issue picking off bulky water and flying types.

798Kartana.png

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade

Kartana here actually has 2 roles on this team. There's the obvious task of being a solid revenge killer and offensive trump card with its speed, typing and Z crystal, but it's also the defogger. The reason I opted for Kartana in this role is because it resists stealth rock and is immune to toxic spikes, the two hazards this team struggles with. The spikes vulnerability doesn't mean much because Gallade is the only other Pokemon affected by them. Kartana naturally fits on the team and has helped me out of some very tough jams.

149.png

Drago (Dragonite) (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake

I really like Dragonite and it's upsetting that most people overlook it. With a bulky spread, a weakness policy, dragon dance and a priority move Drago here is fully capable of dropping entire teams if sent out at the right time. She's extremely difficult to OHKO and trying to do so will likely trip her weakness policy, meaning she's ready to wreck house. Drago has consistently been the team's ace in the hole and she greatly appreciates rocks staying off my field so Kartana is her best friend.

1200px-488Cresselia.png

Cresselia @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Lunar Dance

This may seem like an odd choice for this kind of team but Cresselia performs a very specific role. I send her out late game against something she walls, which is a lot, she sets up one or both screens then Lunar Dances out to one of her threatening teammates. A Multiscale Dragonite, Mega Gallade or Kartana is already tough to deal with but when you factor in dual screens and a heal back to full health it can be downright catastrophic. Cresselia has set up for a clean victory and she's an extremely vital part of the team.

Sure this team is a tad unconventional but it's seen a lot of success and I greatly enjoy using it. Tell me what you think.

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
This team just seems…odd, at least to me. Four of your six mons are very offensively biased (Kart, Dnite, Gallade, Thundurus), and then you just have two super passive mons lumped in with them. Setting aside the fact Clef and ESPECIALLY Cress are pretty big momentum drains compared to the rest of your team, they also don't really help the defense of your team much at all. You have one or fewer resistances to some fairly common attacking types in the tier - Water, Dark, Ice, Fire, and Psychic come to mind - and your two "tanks" only resist one each. This means that if you lose the mons that resist those specific types, you're likely to struggle with some of OU's common threats like AshGren and Lele. I'm too tired right now to give full suggestions on replacements, but I think you should consider things like that while building, while still keeping in mind the resistances/immunities to other common types like Fighting and Ground.

Also, each of the first four mons has one move I disagree with on it. I'll list out what those are before signing off.

1. Gallade: EQ. Literal waste of a moveslot. Pex takes way more from Zen Headbutt, and a boosted CC will net either a guaranteed or likely OHKO on basically every Rock- or Steel-type in the tier. Knock Off is infinitely better, not only as a support move but also to make sure you don't auto-lose to boosting Reuniclus (you might still lose, but it's not an AUTO-lose). Ice Punch is also an option for hitting Lando, but Knock is a safer bet overall.
2. Clef: Fire Blast. I get that it's probably there for hitting Steel-types, but a support move would be more helpful to you in the long run. Stealth Rock could work since you currently lack a hazard setter, and Thunder Wave is also an alternative to cripple fast offensive threats.
3. Thundurus: Dark Pulse. Another waste of a moveslot. I know I said earlier that Dark is a common attacking type, but Thundurus is not something that should run Dark coverage. And for good reason - it's already starved for other coverage options. Tbolt is neutral on basically everything you'd use Dark Pulse on anyway, and with a boost it'll still hit them pretty hard. Either of Sludge Wave or HP Ice can replace it; Sludge Wave hits Grass-types like Tangrowth and Bulu for a sizeable chunk of damage that nothing else in its moveset would, while HP Ice gives you an option against Lando and Gliscor.
4. Kart: Defog. To be clear, I am not opposed to you having a Defogger on this team AT ALL. Quite the contrary; I think it'd be a necessity to preserve Dnite's Multiscale. I just think that Kart shouldn't be the one to do it. Z-Move Kart NEEDS Swords Dance, because without it the Z-moves won't even do that much to the mons you're running them for.

I'm just gonna get right into it.
First of all, there are some moves that I'd change up a bit, as some of the current ones aren't the best. Firstly is M-Gal, Earthquake isn't really necessary to run, something like Knock Off would be better imo, as it provides utility and lets gallade hit some threatening psychic types such as M-Alakazam, Reuniclus, and Lele. Also, if you want, you could use Psycho Cut instead of Zen Headbutt for some crits, but thats up to you.
Next, Thundurus. Dark Pulse isn't needed on it, due to there being better moves it can carry, and its pretty useless tbh, since it hits almost everything for Neutral, as does tbolt, which has more power and has STAB. Other moves you could consider are Sludge wave to hit bulu, clef, or even Tangrowth, or hp ice to hit ground types which would swap into tbolt such as chomp, lando, and gliscor.
Also, Kartana really wants SD considering its a Z-Move set and not choiced. It still hit hard, but if youre running a Non-Choice set, theres no reason not to run SD, as that will guarantee a ko or 2. I would say to get rid of defog, but your team currently lacks hazard removal. Theres no problem with Kartana having it, but I think it would work better on another mon.

That's about it.

This team just seems…odd, at least to me. Four of your six mons are very offensively biased (Kart, Dnite, Gallade, Thundurus), and then you just have two super passive mons lumped in with them. Setting aside the fact Clef and ESPECIALLY Cress are pretty big momentum drains compared to the rest of your team, they also don't really help the defense of your team much at all. You have one or fewer resistances to some fairly common attacking types in the tier - Water, Dark, Ice, Fire, and Psychic come to mind - and your two "tanks" only resist one each. This means that if you lose the mons that resist those specific types, you're likely to struggle with some of OU's common threats like AshGren and Lele. I'm too tired right now to give full suggestions on replacements, but I think you should consider things like that while building, while still keeping in mind the resistances/immunities to other common types like Fighting and Ground.

Also, each of the first four mons has one move I disagree with on it. I'll list out what those are before signing off.

1. Gallade: EQ. Literal waste of a moveslot. Pex takes way more from Zen Headbutt, and a boosted CC will net either a guaranteed or likely OHKO on basically every Rock- or Steel-type in the tier. Knock Off is infinitely better, not only as a support move but also to make sure you don't auto-lose to boosting Reuniclus (you might still lose, but it's not an AUTO-lose). Ice Punch is also an option for hitting Lando, but Knock is a safer bet overall.
2. Clef: Fire Blast. I get that it's probably there for hitting Steel-types, but a support move would be more helpful to you in the long run. Stealth Rock could work since you currently lack a hazard setter, and Thunder Wave is also an alternative to cripple fast offensive threats.
3. Thundurus: Dark Pulse. Another waste of a moveslot. I know I said earlier that Dark is a common attacking type, but Thundurus is not something that should run Dark coverage. And for good reason - it's already starved for other coverage options. Tbolt is neutral on basically everything you'd use Dark Pulse on anyway, and with a boost it'll still hit them pretty hard. Either of Sludge Wave or HP Ice can replace it; Sludge Wave hits Grass-types like Tangrowth and Bulu for a sizeable chunk of damage that nothing else in its moveset would, while HP Ice gives you an option against Lando and Gliscor.
4. Kart: Defog. To be clear, I am not opposed to you having a Defogger on this team AT ALL. Quite the contrary; I think it'd be a necessity to preserve Dnite's Multiscale. I just think that Kart shouldn't be the one to do it. Z-Move Kart NEEDS Swords Dance, because without it the Z-moves won't even do that much to the mons you're running them for.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try to experiment with those moves

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)