Tournament Most Wanted Captain Signups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

[banner by Kaiju Bunny]

Welcome to the inaugural season of Most Wanted! This is a brand-new team tournament where players eliminate each other to increase their own bounties! Nayrz and I will be starting off by selecting eight (8) team captains. Only post in this thread if you would like to be a team captain – all other posts will be deleted. You must signup in this thread to be a captain. You must be active for the entire tournament (approx. 2 months), be capable of sending in weekly lineups on time, and corresponding timely when pools are created at the start of each week. Specifically, the qualities we are looking for in a captain are activity, experience across multiple Ubers tiers, team tournament experience, and managing experience / draft ability.

The tiers that will be featured this year are:

- SS
- USM
- ORAS
- BW
- DPP
- ADV

Tournament Format Description & Rules:

This will mostly be a "learn by experience" tournament, but it's not as complex as the rulebook lets on. Most of the ruleset is to protect against edge cases and have the tournament run smoothly.

- Players sign up with 3 tiers of their choosing SS / USM / ORAS / BW2 / DPP / ADV.
- High activity is a requirement to play in this tournament because they can only be benched once every 2 weeks. Everyone drafted (including captains) will play regularly.
- These tiers are LOCKED all tournament. Choose wisely what you want to offer to a team. You cannot play any other tiers.
- Draft occurs via a snake method. Player value (starting bounty) is based on draft position. Drafted earlier = higher bounty. Teams will all have the same total starting bounty by the end of the draft.
- Captains (and players) decide what tier they play each week (only 1). Your opponent will be someone in the same tier that week with a similar bounty to you. This is where things are very different from UPL because you don't "take turns" facing teams. It's all down to who's in the pools.
- If you win, you take 50% of your opponents bounty. Vice versa if you lose.
- If you lose three times, you are dead and cant play any more games. On the third loss, your final opponent takes all your bounty.
- Work with your team to get the total bounty across all members before week 7 ends. That number will depend on the initial bounty spread that is finalized, but will likely be around 200k.

- Players who become assassins (through certain conditions) can pick a player in their tier pool and challenge them to a deathmatch. Whoever loses is out of the tournament.
- Players CAN become assassins (optional choice) if they win 4 or 6 games during the tournament.
- OR if they drastically dominate a particular pool in bounty. The higher bounty player cannot be killed via this method, only the smaller one.

Captains should read the ruleset so they can fully develop strategies and interact with the tournament hosts, because that will be a common situation. I can't promise the tournament will go perfectly but there's a lot of excitement and potential.

Victory:

• The first team to achieve XX0,000 bounty by the end of a given week is the winner
• If two teams manage to achieve XX0,000 bounty by the end of the same week, the team that exceeds by a higher margin is the winner
• If no team achieves XX0,000 bounty by the end of Week 7, the team with the highest bounty upon the conclusion of Week 7 is the winner

Team Formation:

• Teams will be formed though a snake draft
• Draft order will be randomly assigned

Bounty:

• Bounty is held by each player and a team’s bounty is equal to the sum of all its player’s bounties
• A player’s initial bounty is determined by draft position

Team & Player Quantities:

• There will be exactly eight (8) teams
• Each team will have exactly nine (9) players
• The total number of initial players will therefore be seventy-two (72)

Tier Support & Registration

• Only strict generation tiers will be supported. This means no special tiers such as Best of Three Smogon Tour, etc.
• All battles will be best of one
• At signup, players will register for exactly three (3) of the supported tiers
• Captains may not submit lineups with more than four (4) players in a given tier per week
• Players may freely change tiers every week, but may only play tiers that they registered for at signup
• Tiers that receive less than two (2) matchups in a given week will be declared dead and will be removed for the remainder of the tournament. Any players registered in a tier that is declared dead will be allowed to swap their registration for one of the remaining tiers

Benching:

• A team may bench no more than one (1) player per week
• A player may not be benched for consecutive weeks
• A player that fails to complete their matches will be considered an effective bench for that week
• A player or players that cause two or more benches in a given week will have half their current bounty split between the highest valued players that are not on their team

Matchups:

• Weekly matchups are determined by a player’s bounty at the start of the week
• Players in a give tier are sorted by bounty and matched against their closest neighbor top down
• Two or more players with equally close neighbors will be randomly determined
• In the event that an odd number of players register for a tier, the lowest bounty player will be required to select another tier in which they are registered. If no alternate tier with an odd number of entrants is available, said player must be benched that week

Assassin Status:

• A player with Assassin Status may challenge any player within the tier they selected
• Victories with Assassin Status automatically eliminate the losing player if the victor had higher bounty at matchup
• A player with Assassin Status is automatically eliminated from the tournament if they challenge a player with a higher bounty and lose
• Assassin Status can be gained in the following ways:
o If a player would be matched against someone with a 50% or greater difference in their bounty and that difference is greater than 5,000, effective the current week
o Upon a fourth win and a sixth win, effective the following week

Bounty Transfer and Player Lives:

• The winning player takes 50% of their opponent’s bounty
• Bounty will not be split into denominations lower than 500, rounded up
• The minimum bounty transaction is 1,000
• Players start with three (3) lives
• A life is lost for every game a player loses
• Players that lose their third life are eliminated for the remainder of the tournament
• When a player eliminates another player, they receive 100% of their remaining bounty

Team Names:

Team names are subject to approval and will be a part of the selection process. We encourage captains to submit names that strive to accomplish the following:

- They are related to the tournament theme (bounty hunting, assassination, etc.)
- If they use Pokemon alliteration they use it well (Stark Sharks good, Bicurious Bisharps bad)
- They have an element of cleverness or subtext
- Aesthetic and brief

Signing Up:

Include the following in your post:

Desired Team Name:
Registered Tiers (Pick Exactly 3):
Tournament Avatar (Use image from here, or use your PS custom):
Tiers you Play (Ubers Only):
Significant Team Tournament Experience (Tour / Role):

Signups will be open at least until December 22nd, with selection before player signups are posted.

~

Last edited:
Desired Team Name: The Enzamazentos
Registered Tiers (Pick Exactly 3): SS SM and ADV
Tournament Avatar: PSPL Avatar
Tiers you Play (Ubers Only): all
Significant Team Tournament Experience (Tour / Role): I've been around the community for about a year, contributing in the vr while also playing in an number of ubers related tours.

Last edited:

Hoopas Dad

formerly Mysterious M
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Desired Team Name: Hoenn Hitmen
Registered Tiers (Pick Exactly 3): SS SM and ORAS
Tournament Avatar: Lance
Tiers you Play (Ubers Only): All
Significant Team Tournament Experience (Tour / Role): I've been around the community for about four years and i know the playerbase in and out, contributing in the vr/samples/tours while also playing in an number of ubers related tours, also managed in a lot of team tours (wcopx3,powc,wcopp,exhibition,roapl.pocl etc).

Last edited:

Mr.378

The Iron Man of Ubers
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Desired Team Name: Cutthroat Corviknights
Registered Tiers (Pick Exactly 3): DPP, ORAS, USM
Tournament Avatar:

Tiers you Play (Ubers Only): All, I am the Iron Man Of Ubers.
Significant Team Tournament Experience (Tour / Role): Spl twice, Wcop four years, UPL five years total three as a manager, Pocl four years one year as an assistant manager the following year as a manager, and many other smaller team tours such as UML. I feel as if I would be a perfect fit as a captain in this tour as I have years of experience in both playing every tier in the tournament and managing a team.

Last edited:
Desired Team Name: Stag Snakes
Registered Tiers (Pick Exactly 3): ORAS, USUM, and SS

Tiers you Play (Ubers Only): ADV, DPP, BW2, ORAS, USUM, and SS
Significant Team Tournament Experience (Tour / Role): Played in all UPLs except for UPL I/II. MUTE winner and I assembled the team.

Last edited:

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Desired Team Name: Behemoth Blades
Registered Tiers (Pick Exactly 3): SS / USM / DPP
1576435847987.png

Tiers you Play (Ubers Only): I have been involved with Ubers since late B2W2 (6 years+). I have good knowledge in all the tiers offered in this tournament with strength in more modernised gens (B2W2 Onwards) however I have adequate knowledge in ADV and DPP in order to help my players build and offer advice.
Significant Team Tournament Experience (Tour / Role): I have participated in UPL V-VII as a player, Won UPL V with the Defiant Durians as my ubers relevant background. I was also part of official tournaments such as Smogon Snake Draft II and SPL on top of some casual team tournaments outside these backgrounds. My Management experience includes Smogon Exhibition II achieving a moderate success of Playoffs as my first time management experience. I am able to be a good team leader and very dedicated to achieving the best results.

Desired Team Name: Aegislash Aegency
Registered Tiers (Pick Exactly 3): SS / USM / BW
rocketgruntf.png

Tiers you Play (Ubers Only): SS / USM / BW / ORAS / ADV
Significant Team Tournament Experience (Tour / Role): In the past year, I have been an active participant in the Ubers tournament scene. Early this year, I was fortunate enough to be drafted for UPL, and in my debut I was able to experience firsthand what a cooperative and functional team tour environment looks like. Ultimately, our team finished as a finalist and I myself accrued a positive win/loss record. Furthermore, in recent memory, I finished as finalist in two individual tournaments as well: Ubers Majors and The Zany Tour, and semi-finalist in the SwSh Kickoff Tour.

Looking forward, I am enthusiastic and committed to exploring the uncharted territory that is the Sword and Shield metagame, while promoting the integrity of past generational metagames as well. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity as captain as I believe my qualities both as a player and as a leader would add value to the spirit of this enterprise.

Last edited:

Staxi

Staxoat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Desired Team Name: Hoopers
Registered Tiers (Pick Exactly 3): SM, ORAS, ADV,

Tiers you Play (Ubers Only): All
Significant Team Tournament Experience (Tour / Role): I managed few french team tour since 2016 and I have been around the community for more than 1 year

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Based on the low number of captain signups and community feedback, Nayrz and I have decided that we will be selecting six (6) captains instead of the originally intended eight and will increase team sizes from nine (9) as player signups indicate.

Captain signups will remain open for approximately 48 hours, so if you want to lead a team in this tour make sure you have signed up.

Exiline

Banned deucer.
is a Past SCL Championis a Two-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
Desired Team Name: the sexiline and associates / in case this one gets VETO'ed by the corrupted mods "the xerneas order executioners" is the name my team will go with
Registered Tiers: SS / USM / ADV
Tournament Avatar:

Tiers you Play:
Ubers
Significant Team Tournament Experience: The sexiline owns this tier, teamtours included

Last edited:
Desired Team Name: Altruistic Assassins
Registered Tiers (Pick Exactly 3): USM/ORAS/ADV
Tournament Avatar (Use image from here, or use your PS custom): hiker gen4 pls
Tiers you Play (Ubers Only): All except SS(Will definitely learn ss if i'm given a team to lead)
Significant Team Tournament Experience (Tour / Role): Played 2 UPLs and reached semis once. Finals of both UGTT3 and Ubers championship, and a lot of oldgen experience. I've been a VR and Samples member so I've been a part of the tiering community! Definitely going to be active throughout the tour(i know I've been gone for a long time and I'm rusty but I'll be in shape by the time the tour starts!).

Minority

Numquam Vincar
The captains and their team names will be:

Cynara - Behemoth Blades
Exiline - (TBD)
iry - Altruistic Assassins
Mr.378 - Cutthroat Corviknights
Mysterious M - Hoenn Hitmen
Skysolo - (TBD)

Exiline and Skysolo it wasn't apparent how your team names matched with the theme of the tournament. Try to come up with something clever or we'll have to assign you a name you didn't actually pick (lame). Some of the other names are also pretty basic, and there's plenty of time to come up with stuff that's more clever (not a single Italian mob reference in a tier where a Pokemon is called "Don" smh).

Thank you everyone who signed up, player signups will be posted shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)