Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Have any of you been changing your year to chase spreads?

Working on verification --

Delay is 2000-Year + Internal delay.

Theory - Internal Delay goes by 2's, starting at 1.

Internal Delay + Odd Year = Even Final Delay value.
Internal Delay + Even Year = Odd Final Delay value.

Your job: Prove me wrong. Or right. Don't care which :)

Above is wrong, disproved myself :/ But if anyone wants to continue and see if this makes it more likely please do so. Any data on your year for "Odd" people would be appreciated.

Could be to do with other time factors. Either way. it seems like when you are getting even values you are getting even values. Could be some other portion of the date.

I can maybe look into it later but my year is odd (2009) so it gets even delays, which is right.

my problem is when u do a soft reset, it doesn't load the action replay codes again so I can't check the IVs. do i have to use an iv calculator?
Just do a hard reset, and be gentle with the Power switch (that's what I do)

But if you don't want to do that yeah, use Metalkid's IV calculator and rare candies

Above is wrong, disproved myself :/ But if anyone wants to continue and see if this makes it more likely please do so. Any data on your year for "Odd" people would be appreciated.

Could be to do with other time factors. Either way. it seems like when you are getting even values you are getting even values. Could be some other portion of the date.
Yeah, when I was resetting in 2089 (don't ask...) I was getting evens, and now in 2009 I'm getting odds, so pretty sure that ain't it. Still have some more work to do, other responsibilities have been :gasp: trumping Pokemon in my life. Sad, I know...

I have a question about breeding for shinies. Will only the first egg that the daycare man gives you be shiny? Thanks alot for the guide. Hopefully, I will finally be able to get my own shiny after 10 years of playing Pokemon and not catching or breeding a single one.

I have a question about breeding for shinies. Will only the first egg that the daycare man gives you be shiny? Thanks alot for the guide. Hopefully, I will finally be able to get my own shiny after 10 years of playing Pokemon and not catching or breeding a single one.
The first egg. Good luck ;D

Ok, had to keep this one and ruin a batch of testing and lose a rare candy...this is too good.

Magikarp
Lv. 55
Met at Lv. 54 in Resort Area

Impish
31/28/31/1/31/30

No, I'm not kidding. I can give the specifics of when it was caught as proof, I just think this is way too funny. Makes up for the triple 0 one I caught earlier. Resuming testing, still haven't found the trick to escaping my odd delays. Hard and soft resets show no difference, and the change of day did nothing.

I am attempting to abuse the RNG for IVs

These are the results for my calibrations (I did it 10 times):

Seconds: 27 27 27 28 28 27 28 27 28 28
Delay: 614 596 606 604 596 596 596 596 610 600
Offset: 7 7 5 6 15 4 4 4 5 5
What value should I choose for seconds and offset???

I would say 27 for seconds, but it's a rough call. Try adjusting when you reset so you always hit continue on 27. For offset, 4 or 5 is a wash, whichever one has the spread you want. They both look good.

Edit: Final post for the night. I believe I have found a (if not the) primary factor in determining an even or odd offset: game in the bottom slot of the DS.

I had about 40 odd trials with my LG version in the bottom testing other variables, eliminating possibilities. Then I removed the LG cartridge and Hard reset and got an even delay...repeated three times with the same results. Replace cartridge, soft reset, still even. Hard reset, odd. Exchange for Sapphire cart, odd. Exchange for Golden Sun (non-pokemon), even. Exchange for Emerald, odd. Remove cartridge, even.

Short version: A pokemon cart in the GBA slot gives me an odd delay, an empty slot or non-pokemon game gives me an even delay. This only works of the cart was there/missing when you turn on the DS, inserting or changing the cart and then SRing did not change my offset.

For the record, my GBA games have both odd and even trainer IDs, and things I found that don't inherently affect the delay even/odd ratio include taking one step, saving at different times, number of pokemon in party, hard or soft resetting, the day part of the date.

If this is correct, it might mean DSi owners can only get even delays. If you all could disprove this it would save some time, but I am positive it does have an effect even if it's not exactly as it works for me. K, with that I'm out for the night. Check out the awesome Magikarp I caught during testing, expect a giveaway in the near future if I can grab a wifi point or something. Hope this helps.

I still need help when it comes to the calibration.

So I soft reset on the minute, egg in daycare, character in front of daycare man. I go as fast as I can through the screens, take the egg and hatch it. I then proceed to catch a pokemon check its IVs and nature and input them in RNGReporter. I've done this about five times and each time when I input the IVs and nature of the caught pokemon I get delays in the thousands. Is this normal or is it a problem? Does my delay need to be ~600 for the initial seed, or am I missing something.

Any help is appreciated.

I am still getting really high delays when I enter the IVs and nature of the caught pokemon, even though I catch the pokemon before hatching the egg. Is this normal or not? I have taken a screenshot if it helps.

I would say 27 for seconds, but it's a rough call. Try adjusting when you reset so you always hit continue on 27. For offset, 4 or 5 is a wash, whichever one has the spread you want. They both look good.

Edit: Final post for the night. I believe I have found a (if not the) primary factor in determining an even or odd offset: game in the bottom slot of the DS.

I had about 40 odd trials with my LG version in the bottom testing other variables, eliminating possibilities. Then I removed the LG cartridge and Hard reset and got an even delay...repeated three times with the same results. Replace cartridge, soft reset, still even. Hard reset, odd. Exchange for Sapphire cart, odd. Exchange for Golden Sun (non-pokemon), even. Exchange for Emerald, odd. Remove cartridge, even.

Short version: A pokemon cart in the GBA slot gives me an odd delay, an empty slot or non-pokemon game gives me an even delay. This only works of the cart was there/missing when you turn on the DS, inserting or changing the cart and then SRing did not change my offset.

For the record, my GBA games have both odd and even trainer IDs, and things I found that don't inherently affect the delay even/odd ratio include taking one step, saving at different times, number of pokemon in party, hard or soft resetting, the day part of the date.

If this is correct, it might mean DSi owners can only get even delays. If you all could disprove this it would save some time, but I am positive it does have an effect even if it's not exactly as it works for me. K, with that I'm out for the night. Check out the awesome Magikarp I caught during testing, expect a giveaway in the near future if I can grab a wifi point or something. Hope this helps.

I think you may have to edit it because I have ruby in the GBA slot and get evens. I can test is later maybe.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What value should I choose for seconds and offset?
You need to work on getting your seconds consistent. At the end, when you do this, it wont be an issue.

I keep getting IVs that aren't in the Adjacent results.
Suggest you catch a pokemon immediately after collecting an egg and then finding the initial seed and seeing just how far out of range you are. You may need to widen the criteria for Adjacent results or work on consistency.

I am still getting really high delays when I enter the IVs and nature of the caught pokemon, even though I catch the pokemon before hatching the egg. Is this normal or not? I have taken a screenshot if it helps.
If you are getting delays in the 1000's and advancing as fast as you can then you are definitely doing something wrong. Double check your dates. Triple check them if you already have.

RE: Odd/Even delays

Ok, this is definitely getting interesting. I'll say first off that my first run of all evens was with Emerald in Slot-1 (retail cart) so it can't be "Pokemon card = odd"

One thing I am noticing is that the common theme for flipping over to odd / even seems to he HARD resetting the game. Although I do think that I had it swap over on soft reset, but I very well could have turned it all the way off between the two where it flopped, so I need to test. Also, I seriously doubt this is something as complex as using a trainer ID from an inserted Pokemon game. There is nothing wrong with investigating that, I just don't think that is the issue.

So rad/lightning - Are you guys using an AR, R4, or nothing? I ask because Nothing/AR are probably doing hard resets instead of soft resets and if that's the case it could invalidate my theory about doing a hard reset causing the switch over to Odd/Even.

I will also attempt to go back through the last few pages of posts and figure out who did what so we can have a set of data to comb over and to just start tracking this.

Ok, this is definitely getting interesting. I'll say first off that my first run of all evens was with Emerald in Slot-1 (retail cart) so it can't be "Pokemon card = odd"

One thing I am noticing is that the common theme for flipping over to odd / even seems to he HARD resetting the game. Although I do think that I had it swap over on soft reset, but I very well could have turned it all the way off between the two where it flopped, so I need to test. Also, I seriously doubt this is something as complex as using a trainer ID from an inserted Pokemon game. There is nothing wrong with investigating that, I just don't think that is the issue.

So rad/lightning - Are you guys using an AR, R4, or nothing? I ask because Nothing/AR are probably doing hard resets instead of soft resets and if that's the case it could invalidate my theory about doing a hard reset causing the switch over to Odd/Even.

I will also attempt to go back through the last few pages of posts and figure out who did what so we can have a set of data to comb over and to just start tracking this.

I have been hard reseting with my AR in, getting even delays.

I'm going to attempt to do this without shooting myself in the foot.
I Know I am going to confuse the crap out of myself somewhere along the line and it'll be all "Crayon hurt itself out of confusion". Anyways, If there's anything I can do to test after I get through the calibration phase I'll be glad to help. :D

Can someone explain to me what exactly delay and offset means. I am able to collect the data and get a target time, delay, and offset but I want to know exactly what they mean so I can SR more successfully

Can someone explain to me what exactly delay and offset means. I am able to collect the data and get a target time, delay, and offset but I want to know exactly what they mean so I can SR more successfully
Delay is how long from the game starts until you hit a to continue, 60 frames per second. It takes about 10 seconds, which is 600 frames. Offset is how much the RNG advances to the next set you would get. I can't explain offset to good.

I use nothing, so I have been mixing it up between hard and soft resets. I did 15-20 hard resets when I was stuck on odds, and they all came out odd, so it's not a sure thing. This is interesting, I'll recheck and make sure my delays are still the same now.

Edit: All my results are coming out the same as last night, did three trials on each cart. Pokemon carts still give me odd, non-pokemon and empty give me even.

Here's a new theory: it could be determined by the number of options on the continue screen. This would explain why changing my cart without SRing would have no effect since I changed from an empty slot to a pokemon cart. I just tested going from a pokemon cart to an empty slot and SRing, and the delay did shift from odd to even.

New theory:
Even and odd delays are determined by the number of options on the continue screen.

In mine, I have 5 options with a non-pokemon cart, and 6 with one in (it adds the migrate option). It's possible that an odd number of options give you even delays, and an even number give you odd delays, at least if you don't wait until pressing continue? If people could check this that would be cool.

i need help about how get shinies from the eggs.. i tried to emulate perfectly thetorsoboy in his video-tutorial (for twelve times ._.'') but i haven't got any shiny yet ._. there's something i wrong but i don't know what..

New theory:
Even and odd delays are determined by the number of options on the continue screen.

In mine, I have 5 options with a non-pokemon cart, and 6 with one in (it adds the migrate option). It's possible that an odd number of options give you even delays, and an even number give you odd delays, at least if you don't wait until pressing continue? If people could check this that would be cool.
I have 5 options showing, and I get even delays. I cannot currently test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 27)